Random stuff

Cheesy topics (like the Cheese Curds thread) go here. Topics that aren't Packer related will be moved here as well.

Mmmm.... cheese.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

I've long been talking about taking all of my DVD/Blu-Ray collection and ripping them. That project finally started a few months ago. I do a bit here and there. I'm about 300 in so far, so maybe half-way.

While doing it I've found how many we bought and never opened (a decent amount). 1 funny thing are the inserts. Lots of stuff saying to sign up for this or that. Various contests to win things. I just did the Scooby-Doo movie and there were coupons for Snack Packs, cookies, crackers, cereal, and Scooby-Doo vitamins. I should have opened up this one sooner. They expired in 2003 so I don't think I can use them anymore. It also has some tips for the Gameboy Advance game if anyone needs. :lol:
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

paco wrote:
01 Feb 2021 15:57
I've long been talking about taking all of my DVD/Blu-Ray collection and ripping them. That project finally started a few months ago. I do a bit here and there. I'm about 300 in so far, so maybe half-way.

While doing it I've found how many we bought and never opened (a decent amount). 1 funny thing are the inserts. Lots of stuff saying to sign up for this or that. Various contests to win things. I just did the Scooby-Doo movie and there were coupons for Snack Packs, cookies, crackers, cereal, and Scooby-Doo vitamins. I should have opened up this one sooner. They expired in 2003 so I don't think I can use them anymore. It also has some tips for the Gameboy Advance game if anyone needs. :lol:
What software are you using? I have been thinking about doing this, as well. Any trouble getting around copyrights when ripping? I just started the process of digitizing old home VHS movies, but man, is that a tedious task.

Read More. Post Less.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

NCF wrote:
01 Feb 2021 16:15
paco wrote:
01 Feb 2021 15:57

What software are you using? I have been thinking about doing this, as well. Any trouble getting around copyrights when ripping? I just started the process of digitizing old home VHS movies, but man, is that a tedious task.
woof, VHS? Luckily I don't have much for home movies.

I'm using MakeMKV for my ripping. At this time, I'm not doing anything else to the files to make them smaller or anything outside of just ripping the movie (no extra features, commentaries, etc). I had started using Handbrake, but it was too much work and I didn't want to bother since I've got the space. I've run into the occasional disc it didn't like for 1 reason or another. Nothing copywrite wise so far. In those cases, I've frankly just downloaded the movie. I can rip an average DVD in about 5-10 minutes. Really large Blu-Ray files are longer. I had one about 35Gb that took about 45min to an hour.

Then everything just gets attached to my Plex account. So far, so good.
RIP JustJeff

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Soooo...honest question.

Why bother with doing all that when many, if not all, of those movies are already available on various free on-demand sites?

I have about 900 DVD’s sitting on shelves in an upstairs tv room that never get touched. Thought about doing the same as you a while back but discovered any one of them I wanna watch, I can just open Cinema or CatMouse on the Firestick and watch it.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

APB wrote:
01 Feb 2021 16:56
Soooo...honest question.

Why bother with doing all that when many, if not all, of those movies are already available on various free on-demand sites?
Good question. For me, reliably being able to find them. We have a pretty extensive collection and trying to find things on various sites can be a pain in the butt. You never know where it may be and for how long. Plus many free sites have ads that are annoying. This way I get the quality I want and they are all in 1 place for me to find. Plus, I hope to share my library with other people in the family.

Yes, it's a lot of work. But in the end, I hope it to be worth it. My luck, I'll get on the 2nd to last disc and my hard drive will die. At the moment, I only have 1. I need to buy more for backups. Plus I'll probably just need more space. Especially when I start getting to more of the TV series. Those take up a lot of room. But I've got about 12TB to play with right now and only used up about 3.
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

APB wrote:
Soooo...honest question.

I have about 900 DVD’s sitting on shelves in an upstairs tv room that never get touched. Thought about doing the same as you a while back but discovered any one of them I wanna watch, I can just open Cinema or CatMouse on the Firestick and watch it.
Because there are about 5 DVD's I would really like to keep forever that you cannot find anywhere and once I do that... then might as well keep 'er going is about the best reason I got.

Read More. Post Less.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

NCF wrote:
01 Feb 2021 17:05
APB wrote:
Soooo...honest question.

Because there are about 5 DVD's I would really like to keep forever that you cannot find anywhere and once I do that... then might as well keep 'er going is about the best reason I got.
That's a good reason too. I've got a few you just can't find. I scratch a disc, poof, gone.

I remembered another reason. Occasionally we lend out movies to people. Sometimes it takes forever to get them back. It's taken as long as 2 years to get something back from someone. Had a few never come back. This way I still have it and if I lend out the physical copy and never get it back, so be it.
RIP JustJeff

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

Welp...just spent 13 dollars on 6 tacos from Taco John's. Ate one of them. How's your Friday night?
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

*their

The left needs to be exterminated

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Trudge wrote:
05 Feb 2021 18:59
Welp...just spent 13 dollars on 6 tacos from Taco John's. Ate one of them. How's your Friday night?
Did you &%$@ your pants?

If not you are having a better night than me... ;)
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

paco wrote:
01 Feb 2021 13:39
NCF wrote:
01 Feb 2021 13:35
paco wrote:
01 Feb 2021 13:33
Not a surprise, but still sad. Screech didn't make many correct life choices after Saved by the Bell. People wondered why he wasn't at reunions and not in the new upcoming reboot. I'm sure health was 1 main reason for the latter.

Now that's out of the way, so who was your favorite? Kelly, Lisa, or Jessie?
Kelly. Hated the other two.
They had their moments, but Kelly is the only answer. I'm still a Tiffani Thiessen fan. Pop on her cooking show from time to time.
Anyone ever watch White Collar? It's on Hulu, really love that show. Kelly is on there.

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

Pckfn23 wrote:
05 Feb 2021 19:06
Trudge wrote:
Did you &%$@ your pants?

I have...not done that! But the night is still young.
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

*their

The left needs to be exterminated

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

BF004 wrote:
05 Feb 2021 20:20
paco wrote:
01 Feb 2021 13:39
NCF wrote:
01 Feb 2021 13:35

Kelly. Hated the other two.
They had their moments, but Kelly is the only answer. I'm still a Tiffani Thiessen fan. Pop on her cooking show from time to time.
Anyone ever watch White Collar? It's on Hulu, really love that show. Kelly is on there.
I haven't. Will check it out. Because, of course, Kelly. :heart:
image.png
image.png (394.92 KiB) Viewed 292 times
RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Trudge wrote:
05 Feb 2021 20:34
Pckfn23 wrote:
Trudge wrote:
Did you &%$@ your pants?

Taco John's, bad tequila, either one works...
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Pckfn23 wrote:
05 Feb 2021 22:27
Trudge wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

Did you &%$@ your pants?

I'd eat Taco John's any day over Taco Bell. Don't know how people can stomach that crap. In either case, stay away from the "beef".

Mmmm Potato Ole's.
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

paco wrote:
06 Feb 2021 07:57
Pckfn23 wrote:
05 Feb 2021 22:27
Trudge wrote:

I'd eat Taco John's any day over Taco Bell. Don't know how people can stomach that crap. In either case, stay away from the "beef".

Mmmm Potato Ole's.
Taco Bell >>> Taco Johns

Read More. Post Less.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Meanwhile in Finland... :beer2:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

:lol: :lol:

That was a lot of track producing effort for a 30 sec video! You Finn's are an odd lot!

Funny, he made a point of saving the gloves and helmet from water ruin but sacrificed the most expensive equip - the skates! :dunno:

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Chairs for fat guys are expensive. Yes, I know I'm fat, but I also can freely, and pretty easily, move around and stand up on my own. I don't need a damn power lift chair. Doesn't help I'm cheap too and don't want to send over $1000 for a recliner.

I really wish I had the willpower and ambition to lose weight again. Being a fat guy sucks. Can't find clothes, can't find chairs, can't find cars.

Sorry, fat guy mini rant over.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

It's time to upgrade my internet connection. It's been FAR too long and my connection is slow. Between my working from home full time and all the additional streaming we do now, it just isn't cutting it. I've got Spectrum now, but am on a legacy 15Mb plan. For years, I've gotten much better than that. Up to 60Mb. But as of late, I've been getting 16-18Mb. I'm sure they've throttled me to force the upgrade.

I'd like to go gigabit, but that's too expensive with Spectrum. They are my only option now. Don't have ATT Fiber in my hood yet. Their gig price is like $50/mo less than Spectrum. Going to see if they'll give me a new customer deal so I can at least save for a year. Even that is pricey for my cheap butt.

I called another place that actually had a nice pitch, but when I wouldn't commit they hung up on me. That's the customer service I've come to expect from an ISP! So far people from Spectrum and ATT have been very nice and helpful. Hoping my next call to Spectrum will be as good. Asking them to lower the price usually is a headache. But I'm hoping they'll be nice as I've been a customer at this address for nearly 15 years.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Talked to Spectrum again today. So my only options are what I have and a 300mbps service. They don't have their advertised 200, 400, 940 in my hood. Well, they may have 940, but I didn't even have them check, too expensive.

I was going to go with 400, but I guess 300 is better than nothing. The good news, is I think I'll get 300 for the same price as others pay for 200. But I'm going to verify that 1 more time when I actually call to upgrade. Of course they wouldn't give me any kind of better intro deal. But I'll work on the other person I call a bit more.

Going out today to buy a new modem. The ones Spectrum provide are no-name crap. I remember when they actually gave decent hardware. 0Plus I want the freedom to configure as I want. Gotta pick up some new cables too. I realized everything I have are ancient Cat5. Gonna stop by my office and steal some new Cat6. Hopefully tomorrow, I will have newer faster internet. But I'm not holding my breath.
RIP JustJeff