Rodgers Watch 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Rodgers 2023

Poll ended at 03 Jun 2023 21:19

Retired
7%
Traded
66%
Packer
27%

Total votes: 44

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

TheSkeptic wrote:
18 Mar 2023 09:50
All you should need to know about this year's crop of QB's is that the 2nd ranked QB is 5' 10" and the 3rd ranked QB has accuracy issues and only started 1 year in college.

If the Jets don't get Rodgers because they won't part with that #13 pick their fans are going to be livid

Rodgers got complacent in GB. He did not help his rookie receivers and did not play in the preseason, big mistakes. A new team and a chip on his shoulder will be good for him and he probably will play 2 years. Maybe more
Agree with all of this. Despite my desire to move on from Rodgers for a variety of reasons, I too think he will have a resurgence there. I'll be a little annoyed if I hear feel good stories about him getting his receivers together for side work. I think he had an enormous opportunity last year to take the young WR corp under his wing and it could have been special.

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

https://sports.yahoo.com/the-packers-do ... 59257.html

I roughly agree and it shows how stupid Murphy was to call out Aaron. It also shows a possibility that Rodgers could end up with us bc either side bluffs too hard. This is not over, this just begins. Favre 2008 was like a marrital quarrel, this could be like a nuking. Stay tuned.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Madcity_matt wrote:
18 Mar 2023 10:50
I think he had an enormous opportunity last year to take the young WR corp under his wing and it could have been special.
maybe. I can see both sides of it.
Have you ever been in a class where they are going back over the most basic stuff ? Like 101 level. And you're sitting there wondering why you're wasting your time ? That's how it is for 18 year vets in the early part of the NFL year. Getting together later will certainly help - but a lot of what happens in March - May is the young guys learning their stance, their splits and basic offensive fundamentals. The benefits of running routes together comes after they've mastered the basics. Once they've achieved a level of competence - then they're ready to work with the offense & refine their craft - and that's when it becomes important to get reps with QB1.

There's really not a lot benefit of AR being there early on - other than optics...and I get that part too.
IT. IS. TIME

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Again, the Packers have the Ace. The Jets don’t. Every other aspect of this potential trade is subservient to this fact, unless Guty hands over the higher ground.

All the other points that people have made for either side might have merit. But those don’t trump the Ace.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

BSA wrote:
18 Mar 2023 11:48
Madcity_matt wrote:
18 Mar 2023 10:50
I think he had an enormous opportunity last year to take the young WR corp under his wing and it could have been special.
maybe. I can see both sides of it.
Have you ever been in a class where they are going back over the most basic stuff ? Like 101 level. And you're sitting there wondering why you're wasting your time ? That's how it is for 18 year vets in the early part of the NFL year. Getting together later will certainly help - but a lot of what happens in March - May is the young guys learning their stance, their splits and basic offensive fundamentals. The benefits of running routes together comes after they've mastered the basics. Once they've achieved a level of competence - then they're ready to work with the offense & refine their craft - and that's when it becomes important to get reps with QB1.

There's really not a lot benefit of AR being there early on - other than optics...and I get that part too.
I do agree with this, and the argument that the kids need to learn algebra before calculus. But I do think there was an opportunity to bond with them.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Also, the one point I have not heard people make is that the JETS might feel more patient to wait (for now), realizing that the longer they wait, the more pressure GB feels that they would have to keep 12 and let him ride pine.

But again, the Ace.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Scott4Pack wrote:
18 Mar 2023 11:56
Also, the one point I have not heard people make is that the JETS might feel more patient to wait (for now), realizing that the longer they wait, the more pressure GB feels that they would have to keep 12 and let him ride pine.

But again, the Ace.
No. If I'm the Jets and I'm serious at making 2023 an actual run...I want Aaron Rodgers in my building ASAP. He needs to bond with the coaches, learn the offense, and bond with the players.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Can all the Packers have the leverage people just tell me what happens if Rodgers comes back to the packers?

Start
Cut
Bench rhe guy they just said they love and can't wait to retire his Jersey put in hof etc

Which one.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

bud fox wrote:
18 Mar 2023 12:16
Can all the Packers have the leverage people just tell me what happens if Rodgers comes back to the packers?

Start
Cut
Bench rhe guy they just said they love and can't wait to retire his Jersey put in hof etc

Which one.
he's not coming back to the Packers, it's Jets or another team, the Packers are moving on, to bring him back would be disaster, it's beyond obvious that Rodgers has a strong dislike for the FO, they would rather pay him to sit in the parking lot then bring him inside.

Shout out to BSA for explaining so nicely to Matt the follies of a 18 year vet putting up with the orientation of rookie receivers, :aok: Rodgers is not unique, I'am sure most vets after 10 seasons gets sick of being a sounding board for all there naivety as Farve said, I'am not here to coach.

so much of that imo is media driven mallarky to rile fans up

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yoop wrote:
18 Mar 2023 12:29
bud fox wrote:

Start
Cut

Which one.
he's not coming back to the Packers, it's Jets or another team, the Packers are moving on, to bring him back would be disaster, it's beyond obvious that Rodgers has a strong dislike for the FO, they would rather pay him to sit in the parking lot then bring him inside.

Shout out to BSA for explaining so nicely to Matt the follies of a 18 year vet putting up with the orientation of rookie receivers, Rodgers is not unique, I'am sure most vets after 10 seasons gets sick of being a sounding board for all there naivety as Farve said, I'am not here to coach.

This is correct, it'll be trade or retire. We will survive, it would be stupid and unfortunate, we maybe miss out on a few picks.

But Saleh and Douglas would end up fired when they miss the playoffs again.

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

the internet strikes again, this time on " leverage"

IT. IS. TIME

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

Yoop wrote:
bud fox wrote:

Start
Cut

Which one.

Shout out to BSA for explaining so nicely to Matt the follies of a 18 year vet putting up with the orientation of rookie receivers, :aok: Rodgers is not unique, I'am sure most vets after 10 seasons gets sick of being a sounding board for all there naivety as Farve said, I'am not here to coach.

I acknowledged as much in my response to him. It's not his job, and the gain might have been slight, but it sends a message to them (and the rest of the team) that he is there because he wants to win it all and he will do whatever is necessary.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Two possible paths: either rodgers has advised the jets not to pony up the loot because he wants his new team to have those draft picks, and he’s advised them that the packers will eventually fold.

Or

Rodgers gonna get tired of being in a holding pattern and gonna start to wonder if the Jets really want him. I mean unless he’s in on the poker match, he might start wondering why the jets don’t think he’s worth what the packers want.

Jets should just pony up and enjoy the talented pain in the a**.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
18 Mar 2023 12:37
Yoop wrote:
bud fox wrote:

Start
Cut

Which one.

Shout out to BSA for explaining so nicely to Matt the follies of a 18 year vet putting up with the orientation of rookie receivers, Rodgers is not unique, I'am sure most vets after 10 seasons gets sick of being a sounding board for all there naivety as Farve said, I'am not here to coach.

This is correct, it'll be trade or retire. We will survive, it would be stupid and unfortunate, we maybe miss out on a few picks.

But Saleh and Douglas would end up fired when they miss the playoffs again.
why retire, I never thought any of that talk was real, also the owner is pulling the shots in Jersey, they have far to good a team for the owner to pull the plug on a coach he just hired and fire the guy that built the squad.

I don't know why you and others have all this faith, sure we'll survive, but somehow Rodgers is going to collect his money, and we would get zero compensation if he does decide to come back.

I think Ken Engles or another I heard was right, the sticking point is the money, some don't think that #1 slot 13 pick was ever in play, it's how much the Packers can cover of the dead money trading Rodgers will coast, or how much the jets will accept :idn:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Madcity_matt wrote:
18 Mar 2023 12:48
Yoop wrote:
bud fox wrote:

Start
Cut

Which one.

I acknowledged as much in my response to him. It's not his job, and the gain might have been slight, but it sends a message to them (and the rest of the team) that he is there because he wants to win it all and he will do whatever is necessary.
come on, that is just more trivia, and after this FO neglected bringing in high floor prospects for years here, that could have been a 1 finger salute saying, fill in the blanks . . . . . you do the orientation, I'am not coming.

what about all the other year4s he did come and actually did orient all the low floor jags that never amounted to better then #3 or 4 receivers, maybe the GM should have went all in to support him those years, instead of constantly trying to build a top 5 defense, or drafting his replacement which started most of this chaos

this stuff again is media driven hype to rile up people like you

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

Yoop wrote:
18 Mar 2023 13:03
come on, that is just more trivia, and after this FO neglected bringing in high floor prospects for years here, that could have been a 1 finger salute saying, fill in the blanks . . . . . you do the orientation, I'am not coming.
So then you agree that his presence or lack thereof makes a statement, one way or another after all?
Yoop wrote:
what about all the other year4s he did come and actually did orient all the low floor jags that never amounted to better then #3 or 4 receivers
In the last two of them, he won 13 games, MVP, and took the team to the NFCCG... :idn:
Yoop wrote:
I'm not riled, and you don't know $hit about me.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Madcity_matt wrote:
18 Mar 2023 13:55
Yoop wrote:
So then you agree that his presence or lack thereof makes a statement, one way or another after all?
Yoop wrote:
what about all the other year4s he did come and actually did orient all the low floor jags that never amounted to better then #3 or 4 receivers
In the last two of them, he won 13 games, MVP, and took the team to the NFCCG... :idn:
Yoop wrote:
I'm not riled, and you don't know $hit about me.
No, it was just my opinion that he MIGHT have made a statement, till he actually says that was the case, no one knows.

I think he skipped the OTA's in 2020?? and it was also Lafleurs choice not to play starters in the PS games, you have tried to build this into Rodgers treating young pup receivers poorly, and shirking his responsibility's, I know that much about you, and it's horse $hit.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Rodgers said he was 90% ready to retire before his darkness retreat.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

What should Packers expect as compensation from Jets in a trade for Aaron Rodgers? 4 NFL personnel executives offer their thoughts.
Tom Silverstein
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

SKIP

GREEN BAY – The Green Bay Packers and New York Jets have yet to settle on trade compensation for quarterback Aaron Rodgers and it’s anyone’s guess when they will reach an agreement.

The Packers can hold onto Rodgers until September without having to pay his $58.3 million option bonus, but in order for them to get any draft picks this year, they’re going to have to make a deal before the draft the final weekend of April.

The Jets’ only deadline is how soon they want to get Rodgers in their building to start working with him and how badly they feel they need to appease their fans after Rodgers said his intention was to play in New York.

Should the Packers get the Jets’ first-round pick, No. 13 overall? Are they in a position to demand multiple first-round picks? Or should they get what they can for Rodgers and just move on so they can get his massive contract off their books?

More:Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers has agreed to be traded to the New York Jets. What's next?

More:5 Jets players the Green Bay Packers could target in an Aaron Rodgers trade deal

Either Packers general manager Brian Gutekunst and Jets general manager Joe Douglas did not have a firm trade agreement in place when the Jets went to talk to Rodgers about joining them or they did, and one of the two decided to move the goal posts and change the terms of the deal.

Because teams couldn’t execute trades until 3 p.m. Wednesday, any agreement they might have had was not official.

If Aaron Rodgers leaves the Packers for the Jets, what is his trade value?
So, what is Rodgers’ trade value?

We asked four current personnel executives from four different NFL teams what they thought the compensation should be for Rodgers. We agreed not to use their names because they are not authorized to talk about personnel matters of players not on their team.

Here are their thoughts:

'The Jets need to do something to make him (Packers general manager Brian Gutekunst) want to move faster'
Personnel director No. 1: “My initial thought was a second- or third-round pick in 2023 with a 2024 pick tied to whether or not Aaron decides to play a second season. However, the Packers have all the cards now because it appears they didn’t have a deal agreed to before the Jets flew to California to meet with Aaron. And now if the Jets don’t finish the deal, well, you can imagine what the New York press will do. So, I’m guessing Brian knows this and the price has gone up to maybe a first this year and another pick as well because really he has all the leverage. And he’s not inclined to really trade him before June 1 anyways, so the Jets need to do something to make him want to move faster. Of course, Aaron could just start showing up to Lambeau like Brett (Favre) did to make it awkward and move things along, which I’m sure he’d do if needed. It will be fascinating to see what happens. It’s a pretty unprecedented deal really other than you know, when the Packers traded Brett to the Jets.”

'If I’m the Packers, I’d want that first and some more ... this whole ordeal and situation is nuts'
Personnel director No. 2: “I’ve been wondering what the compensation package will be myself. If I’m the Packers, I’d want that first and some more, but I really don’t think the Packers can get it without paying down Rodgers’ salary. I heard initially the Packers were using the (Russell) Wilson trade as rough parameters, which kind of makes sense, and then bump it down some for age and contract. So, assuming they aren’t going to pay down that salary, next year’s first or this year’s second, and then (receiver) Elijah Moore and a tight end and an edge player. Either way, this whole ordeal and situation is nuts. Couldn’t imagine being in one of those front offices.”

'It seems like Green Bay has the leverage now. Jets really have no other choice'
Personnel director No. 3: “I mean Rodgers did them no favors - If I'm GB I'm trying to get a one and maybe a pick in '24 that can move up based on how they do as a team this year. Maybe it’s a two this year and a pick that can move up to a one next year based on if they make the playoffs. It's a unique situation for sure. It seems like Green Bay has the leverage now. Jets really have no other choice.”

'It all comes down to picks and money'
Personnel director No. 4: “I think it all comes down to picks and money. If no money is exchanged (Packers paying part of the $58.3 million), it’s a third-round pick. For a certain level of money exchanged, it’s a second. There’s too much money involved in this deal for an exchange of a first. I haven’t really thought about players, picks and money (being traded). But usually when big money is involved it’s equated to money (the Packers would be willing to pay) and draft picks.”
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Lmao