Rasul Traded to Bills

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Suuuulll

Amazing
No votes
Good
11%
Ok
33%
Don’t like it
50%
Fire TT
6%

Total votes: 18

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

We should have traded Jaire.

We would potentially be looking at significantly more than a Round 3 pick for a guy who we now know (with the benefit of hindsight) did not help us much this year.

And depending on how his contract was structured, the cap savings may have been better. Maybe his contract is set up in a way that makes him un-tradeable this season, but we are paying him a lot more than Sul, for worse play and less availability (he's never been very durable).

Realistically, we could not have traded him, unless Buffalo themselves inquired about him; it would have been suspicious for us to offer up the guy considered the better (at least more talented) player. But yeah, if it were on the table and letting contract specifics aside, trading Jaire would have been better than trading Sul.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

TheSkeptic wrote:
15 Dec 2023 11:26
When the trade was made, it looked like the Packers were out of the playoff hunt.

Rasul might have been the difference in the Giant's game. The Packers would be highly likely to make the playoffs had they beaten the Giants.

That trade looks a lot worse now
I know this will sound bad, but I'd much rather have that 3rd round pick for a player that wasn't going to be hear next year anyway. The playoffs, yeah it would be nice but we need to be thinking about the window of opportunity starting in 2025, maybe even next year if player development accelerates.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yeah, not sure what is going on, but it’s something weird.

I don’t think we should trade a top 3 when healthy CB, especially if we are looking at a new DC.

However that likelihood looks increased with whatever going on.

I think it would cost us $3 million in the ‘24 cap if we trade him. Then would obviously free a ton of cap in ‘25 and ‘26. So would be completely possible.

Ramsey went for two 1’s a few years back. I’d probably venture we could get about Davante value, ~pick 11/12 overall value.

Few teams out there like Indy and Houston on the upswing, with rookie contracts for the foreseeable future, and tons of cap room that might make sense.

So definitely not saying we should, but we definitely could. Would be another very long outlooking move though. Just more picks in 24 and/or 25 and no cap savings in 24. But possibly could pay off 25/26 if we hit on the draft picks and get more talent on rookie contracts.

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

BF004 wrote:
15 Dec 2023 11:58
Yeah, not sure what is going on, but it’s something weird.

I don’t think we should trade a top 3 when healthy CB, especially if we are looking at a new DC.

However that likelihood looks increased with whatever going on.

I think it would cost us $3 million in the ‘24 cap if we trade him. Then would obviously free a ton of cap in ‘25 and ‘26. So would be completely possible.

Ramsey went for two 1’s a few years back. I’d probably venture we could get about Davante value, ~pick 11/12 overall value.

Few teams out there like Indy and Houston on the upswing, with rookie contracts for the foreseeable future, and tons of cap room that might make sense.

So definitely not saying we should, but we definitely could. Would be another very long outlooking move though. Just more picks in 24 and/or 25 and no cap savings in 24. But possibly could pay off 25/26 if we hit on the draft picks and get more talent on rookie contracts.
As always, first fill in the blank on why he'd be traded. Then ask why another team would give up Ramsey/Adams type compensation for a guy with that baggage.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Asked myself both them questions.

Something weird, drama seems to be going on. I can’t say what. If he’s unhappy here, I’d likely honor his request to move him for a fair price.

I do not know if that is the case.

And I just mentioned a few teams who A) on the up and up B) Need, C) cap room.

We’ve traded older and higher baggage for more on the past. :lol:

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

BF004 wrote:
15 Dec 2023 14:34

Something weird, drama seems to be going on. I can’t say what. If he’s unhappy here, I’d likely honor his request to move him for a fair price.

I don't doubt it, just don't remember any. Obviously subjective, but, just for fun, which trades are you thinking about?

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Half Empty wrote:
15 Dec 2023 15:39
BF004 wrote:
15 Dec 2023 14:34

I don't doubt it, just don't remember any. Obviously subjective, but, just for fun, which trades are you thinking about?
Well Davante and Aaron.

Davante was known wouldn’t resign here, not sure how Jaire’s baggage would be viewed any worse.

And then Aaron, well…. Aaron.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I don't really know if the drama thing is a real concern or not.

His shoulder (and durability in general, what with his smallish frame) being an issue again concerns me a lot, though.

Isn't it the same shoulder that kept him out two seasons ago? Is it gonna be a reoccurring thing with him? Is it going to affect his willingness to come up in run support?

Lots of concerns there, worried he might be damaged goods.

Jaire certainly is an elite cover corner when healthy, but at this point, it feels like you can count on him being banged-up and missing games more reliably than you can count on him being on the field and playing well. =/
—Magneto

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I also question how long any CB can maintain elite play. I wonder what the data on this is. But it feels like an elite CB has at best 2-4 years of elite play in him. Like RB, their best years seem to be the very early ones (but good CBs are not easily found as RBs).

Then they either fall off a cliff due to age/injuries, which I am slightly worried could be the case with Jaw, -OR- they are still good, but at a level closer to Rasul than Sauce or Diggs... in which case, I would have rather just stuck with Sul as being more of a sure-thing.

So I liked Sul at-price better than Jaire: cheaper, less injury prone, not as talented but still very good and more consistent, also not a liability against the run like Jaire is now. Hence, I would have traded Jaire instead, if it were an option.
—Magneto

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

This trade hurts more everyday. Rasul was more of an affordable extension candidate, than a trade candidate.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

JKB
Reactions:

Post by JKB »

go pak go wrote:
01 Nov 2023 14:01
Yoop wrote:
01 Nov 2023 12:40
go pak go wrote:
01 Nov 2023 12:16

Rebuild does not mean tank. The Packers intentionally went into the season with the strategy of playing the young guys. There was hope they would develop nicely and it would be a fun year.

That didn't happen. So expectations are shifting. The Packers aren't tanking but they are likely shifting strategy to place less importance on the current and more for 2024 and beyond.

The only real question that needs answered from here on out is if we believe Love is our guy or not. Rasul Douglas doesn't really help answer that.
It doesn't? not according to some of the remarks in this forum, I know the difference, my response was directed more so at them

I think the FO went into this hoping to win, injuries and offensive youth derailed that plan, I still think the goal is to win football games, we didn't have a fire sale of vets, and thats good, imo the trade of Sul had nothing to do with trimming this roster , or because he was predominately a edge CB, but thats jmo.
Of course we are trying to win football games. But of course we are also shifting focus beyond 2023.

Personally, I don't expect to win a lot of football games, but I hope I am wrong. Nothing would be sweeter than to see this offense turn a corner and pile up some upsets.
This aged well

JKB
Reactions:

Post by JKB »

Drj820 wrote:
02 Nov 2023 14:58
go pak go wrote:
02 Nov 2023 14:21
Drj820 wrote:
02 Nov 2023 13:54

Gutes an ahole
I'm interested because unfortunately I have to terminate people too.

How else should Gute have gone about it? I guess he could have asked him to come to his office.

But it was a Tuesday (player day off) so Rasul would have had to drive to Lambeau.
I suggest either a face to face conversation if at all possible (everyone was in town), or if impossible...communicate in a way that the fired person does not mistakenly think you are joking.

Set the table for them, give them a robust explanation. praise them for their contributions. Help them understand why and how it happened.

Then if they hang up because they dont think you are serious, call them back and make another attempt to establish understanding. Dont just say "well i told him, i did my job" and then later get your superior to re-explain.

That sound like good advice?

Gute talking in a way that rasul assumed he was joking is problematic, Gute not calling back to let rasul know the seriousness of the situation is also problematic.
lol you are rediculous

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Drj820 wrote:
31 Dec 2023 08:39
This trade hurts more everyday. Rasul was more of an affordable extension candidate, than a trade candidate.
100%

Just for a trade swap too that’s only gonna be like 40-50 spots.

Sadly looking like we might basically need 5 new starters in the secondary by like 2025.

Rasul certainly should have been one of those guys.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Labrev wrote:
06 Dec 2023 17:17
I want us to play to make the playoffs, and I did not like trading Sul because he's a guy that helps win you games.

But if we make the playoffs anyway, that will nullify my criticism of the move, because we will have received the desired result -and- gotten a 3rd for him.
I now hate this move even if we do make the playoffs bc Douglas should have been extended at the end of the season and Jaire traded after 2024.

Worst move of Gute's career.
—Magneto

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Labrev wrote:
31 Dec 2023 09:17
Labrev wrote:
I want us to play to make the playoffs, and I did not like trading Sul because he's a guy that helps win you games.

But if we make the playoffs anyway, that will nullify my criticism of the move, because we will have received the desired result -and- gotten a 3rd for him.
I now hate this move even if we do make the playoffs bc Douglas should have been extended at the end of the season and Jaire traded after 2024.

So many to choose from

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

I did not like the trade then and I still don't like it.

IMO it cost the Packers a playoff spot this season.

If the cause of it was an argument between Rasul and Barry, the wrong person was sent out the door. No other explanation of why this happened makes sense to me. Certainly not a 3rd round draft pick.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Labrev wrote:
31 Dec 2023 09:17
Labrev wrote:

I wanted to trade assets this year. But I was honestly hoping it was Alexander we traded for a 1+ something rather than Rasul.

The trade didn't age well primarily because of Alexander's issues. I am excited to see Valentine face Jefferson though tonight.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

The trade is starting to look not so hot, but I am a little perplexed at the long-term view of this. For those saying we should have extended Rasul, do you realize he will be 30 before the 2024 season begins? I don't think there is a ton of mileage left, especially for a guy that wasn't all that athletically gifted to begin with.

Bad move, but short-term bad move, not a long-term bad move.

Read More. Post Less.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I said it before and I'll say it again. I think that Sul was beginning to create an issue in the locker room. The only problem is that we won't likely know if or what that was for another few years.

Guty has said too often that "you can't have too many good CBs." So, you wanna tell me that he traded away a good CB to move up more spots? Some GMs might do that. Not Guty. There was something more involved.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

NCF wrote:
31 Dec 2023 10:53
The trade is starting to look not so hot, but I am a little perplexed at the long-term view of this. For those saying we should have extended Rasul, do you realize he will be 30 before the 2024 season begins? I don't think there is a ton of mileage left, especially for a guy that wasn't all that athletically gifted to begin with.

Bad move, but short-term bad move, not a long-term bad move.
I think his game will age well because size, IQ, and physicality would allow him to get a lot of mileage out of the next few years. Sul is not an elite athlete like Jaire but he's not a bad one and he's way better at staying on the field, while also probably being significantly less costly. I'd give him a 3 year deal, maybe 4 if he's willing to entertain a move to S toward the end of it.
—Magneto