General Packers News 2020

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
26 Jan 2021 10:34
BF004 wrote:
26 Jan 2021 10:16
Pckfn23 wrote:
26 Jan 2021 10:00
@BF004 did not think of that! This is exactly how the owners get a 17th game. Agree to not reduce the salary cap in 2021.
I have a feeling the end result will be the 2021 salary is exactly the same as it was in 2020, which if I recall is like 198.

Agree to that, then figure how to kick that can down the road to balance it out.
I think that 17th game will more than make up for it, in a hurry.
But the salary cap is based off prior year's revenue. That won't help the players until 2022.

Owner's are gunna dictate some terms in order to spread this out.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:
26 Jan 2021 11:43
Pckfn23 wrote:
26 Jan 2021 10:34
BF004 wrote:
26 Jan 2021 10:16

I have a feeling the end result will be the 2021 salary is exactly the same as it was in 2020, which if I recall is like 198.

Agree to that, then figure how to kick that can down the road to balance it out.
I think that 17th game will more than make up for it, in a hurry.
But the salary cap is based off prior year's revenue. That won't help the players until 2022.

Owner's are gunna dictate some terms in order to spread this out.
Help the owners is what I was referring to. Leaving the cap the same from 2020 to 2021 would be the carrot the owners would dangle for that 17th game. Not reducing the salary cap by $25 million would help the players.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Looks like the NFL HOF voters screwed up yet again.
RIP JustJeff

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

what a joke.

The NFL Hall needs to be ashamed of themselves.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I really have to think it's the last meeting he'll have with both Mennenga and Pettine, but we'll see. Pettine, I think, did a nice job overall, but every coach should have their own guy. The carryover guys never seem to work out.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Packers ended the year too good on D.

Wasn’t a fan of the coverage before half, but at some point some players gotta make some plays. Pettine had guys in position all day. We could have had 5 picks and completely dominated the run.

The young guys have all progressed really really well under him, from Clark, Jaire to Savage to Gary and Keke, Barnes and Martin. Want to see that development continue.

I want Pettine back. We were legit a play or two away from the Super Bowl, we don’t need multiple scape goats. D was good enough to win a Super Bowl, incredibly young, and kept getting better this year as young guys, in particular, gained more confidence.

Special Teams, the body of work speaks for itself, I am 1000% all for moving on.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

It's not 100% just performance related with Pettine. LaFleur and the DC have to share the same philosophy and be on the same page about how the defense is supposed to function. If LaFleur doesn't feel good about that going forward, then he needs to hire his own guy. I will sit back and watch it play out, but I do think it's about a 50-50 proposition.

Read More. Post Less.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

NCF wrote:
27 Jan 2021 13:02
It's not 100% just performance related with Pettine. LaFleur and the DC have to share the same philosophy and be on the same page about how the defense is supposed to function. If LaFleur doesn't feel good about that going forward, then he needs to hire his own guy. I will sit back and watch it play out, but I do think it's about a 50-50 proposition.
I think LaFleur is still figuring that out. When he was first hired, it was fairly obvious he was offense and he was going to let Pettine do what he wanted to. Now that he's been a HC for 2 years, I'm sure he's learned a lot more. Will be interesting to see if he wants something different from the D and if Pettine is still the guy for that.

I don't know who would be better. I'd like to see a change, but I don't think all hope is lost if we keep him either.
RIP JustJeff

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

we absolutely need a more consistent pass rush, I think our total pressures are half of 019, so some of that I blame on Pettine and the coaches, and also I think covid wiping out the off season, and we still havn't got two on the same page ILB's, the players might already be here but there heads aren't, all the best defenses it seems have two very good ILB's and it's partly do to playing with one another alot more then our guys have.

I sure don't want to rock this boat, new cords may mean a retooling, that could mean getting players that fit those changes, that could take several years to acumulate those guys, by that Time Rodgers will be retiring, nah just finish adding the couple players we need for Pettine, but he has to get better pass rush, so he has some work to do there.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Yoop wrote:
27 Jan 2021 15:58
we absolutely need a more consistent pass rush, I think our total pressures are half of 019, so some of that I blame on Pettine and the coaches, and also I think covid wiping out the off season, and we still havn't got two on the same page ILB's, the players might already be here but there heads aren't, all the best defenses it seems have two very good ILB's and it's partly do to playing with one another alot more then our guys have.

I sure don't want to rock this boat, new cords may mean a retooling, that could mean getting players that fit those changes, that could take several years to acumulate those guys, by that Time Rodgers will be retiring, nah just finish adding the couple players we need for Pettine, but he has to get better pass rush, so he has some work to do there.
I think another factor is that our "roaming Z" pass rush of last year was a pretty novel and rare. With an offseason to prep for it, teams had scouted it and the Smiths' game better. Gary improved, but not enough to make up for it.

But I also think Pettine seemed to get more conservative. I remember Jaire's CB rushes being pretty effective last year, but he was outside covering all this year. Sully and the rest of nickel candidates weren't exactly Jaire at blitzing.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

salmar80 wrote:
28 Jan 2021 06:45
Yoop wrote:
27 Jan 2021 15:58

I think another factor is that our "roaming Z" pass rush of last year was a pretty novel and rare. With an offseason to prep for it, teams had scouted it and the Smiths' game better. Gary improved, but not enough to make up for it.

But I also think Pettine seemed to get more conservative. I remember Jaire's CB rushes being pretty effective last year, but he was outside covering all this year. Sully and the rest of nickel candidates weren't exactly Jaire at blitzing.
agreed some of this is player availability, we also lost Raven Green who was also a good blitzer, Kirksey did well several times, whatever, imo Pettine needs to do more of that.

I think a lot of the problems for Z stunting between the DT's this year had to do with Clark not being a full health and the other DT's unable to give him a crease, along with increased attention from opposing OL, they say him move inside and made sure to pinch those gaps, thats why I've always liked the stunts coming from one of the ILBs as a guy like Z drops into the ILB spot as Mathews had done years ago, if memory serves Bishop or Hawk had several sacks one season doing so.

as I said I think this defense is pretty close to where we want it, replace King with a better man coverage CB, that will help to free up a safety more, find a DT that can compliment Clark, after that just add players that can better rotate to support the starters.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Just reflecting on the job that Matt LaFleur has done in two seasons. Then I came across this...

Would you believe me if I told you that Mike McCarthy only won 6 Division Championships in 13 years as Packers HC? Because it's true.

Read More. Post Less.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Some good stuff in here about the cap.

Restructuring Z and Bak make a ton of sense to free up space. They should restructure Rodgers but I doubt they do. Anything to increase Rodgers guarantees in the future only makes the Love pick more useless.

The best move is to restructure everything, invest in a research team that figures out how to time travel, go back in time and dont act like an idiot and take Love, and everything is good to go. We might be years away from time travel though.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

paco wrote:
29 Jan 2021 16:00
Seems like a demotion since he is only going to be an asst.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Cdragon wrote:
30 Jan 2021 07:54
paco wrote:
29 Jan 2021 16:00
Seems like a demotion since he is only going to be an asst.
I dunno. “Analyst” and “coach”, be it asst or not, seem to fall under two separate career paths.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I agree that we shouldn't cut Wagner.

$2.5 million cost is too low for what he brings. Especially because we will need two starting tackles for at least the first 4 - 8 weeks of the season.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
30 Jan 2021 01:09

Some good stuff in here about the cap.

Restructuring Z and Bak make a ton of sense to free up space. They should restructure Rodgers but I doubt they do. Anything to increase Rodgers guarantees in the future only makes the Love pick more useless.

The best move is to restructure everything, invest in a research team that figures out how to time travel, go back in time and dont act like an idiot and take Love, and everything is good to go. We might be years away from time travel though.
Just wanted to comment on one sentence you said, “...only makes the love pick more useless”. I agree it was beyond useless, pretty much criminal unless he becomes Mahomes.

I thought about this last night. This isn’t 2008 where only about 5 teams have a quality QB. QBs grow on trees now. Just this season there are 5 minimum who will be drafted high in the draft...Lawrence, fields, Mac Jones, Jamie Newman, Zach Wilson, Kyle Trask.

And this year teams will have their chance to get these QBs on their roster (potentially) in ways that don’t even concern the draft...Stafford, Watson, Goff, Matt Ryan (big maybe), Ryan Fitzpatrick, Teddy bridgewater, Alex smith, Dak???, Sam Darnold, Trubinsky, cam Newton, tyrod Taylor, and Jimmy G.

I know all of those guys won’t move. But all but a couple could be gotten for what we gave in the draft for Love.

With so much time left on Rodgers deal at the time of the Love selection, that’s what makes the pick almost criminal to me. This isn’t 2004 where you draft and develop at the position. If you have a qb, you use round one to put talent around him..bc QBs will be available to make a move for when you need one.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Drj820 wrote:
30 Jan 2021 08:50
bc QBs will be available to make a move for when you need one.
Yep. Just ask the Bears and Vikings.

Read More. Post Less.