Rodgers Watch 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Rodgers 2023

Poll ended at 03 Jun 2023 21:19

Retired
7%
Traded
66%
Packer
27%

Total votes: 44

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I am thinking that Guty’s comments today likely mean that the Pack heard about 12 wanting to play for the Jets at the same time that McAfee heard it. But who knows.

If so, then that is clearly different than what 12 has said.

Let the divorce commence. But don’t give anything unusual away in the trade.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Scott4Pack wrote:
27 Mar 2023 21:52
I am thinking that Guty’s comments today likely mean that the Pack heard about 12 wanting to play for the Jets at the same time that McAfee heard it. But who knows.

If so, then that is clearly different than what 12 has said.

Let the divorce commence. But don’t give anything unusual away in the trade.
No it means Rodgers heard through his reps the pack wanted to discuss moving on and Rodgers said cool let me chat with the jets.

Jets had permission prior to mcafee announcement.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

According to this, the compensation is a 2nd round pick this coming draft. I have no problems with this.

The hangup seems to be if Rodgers retires after this coming season. I personally don't think this happens unless he has a major injury or plays like crap and the Jets don't want him. But if he plays in 2024/25 then the Packers should get a 1st if the Jets win even 1 playoff game and a 2nd if they don't in either post season.

Such a shame that the Packers waited 1 year too long. It could have been 2 1sts and more and one of those firsts could already be on the team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6kc3Pd5M8E

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

bud fox wrote:
27 Mar 2023 17:15
TheSkeptic wrote:
27 Mar 2023 07:28
bud fox wrote:
27 Mar 2023 02:37

So ridiculous.

Rodgers has the two best years of any QB from a passer rating standpoint. He has 4 in the top 20 - Brees, Brady and Manning have 2 as the other QBs with multiple on the in the top 20 - Rodgers has 4!

He is 4 time mvp, sb mvp, sb winner, 4.52 td/int ratio.
Maybe people should abandon this ridiculous idea that MVP is important. It is not. Never was and never will be. MVP is determined by reporters and is nothing more than a popularity contest. Players do not vote. Coaches do not vote. Only 50 sportswriters vote, and guess who matters to them- not the best players but how many social media clicks they get.

The determinant of who should have their number retired are in order: SB victories, SB appearances, Playoff wins, playoff appearances, contribution to regular season wins, who changed how the game is played and last of all - personal stats.

I can think of many players who, according to these criteria, achieved more than AR. Certainly Bart Starr, Jim Taylor, Paul Hornung, Ron Kramer (no, not Jerry), Forrest Gregg, Ray Nitschke, Herb Adderley, Willie Davis, Willie Wood, Henry Jordan. Gale Gillingham, James Lofton, John Brockington, Reggie White, Sir Charles, Julius Peppers, Leroy Butler, Davonte Adams, Dave Robinson, Ahman Green, Paul Coffman, Nick Collins, Z Smith and among present Packers Aaron Jones, Kenny Clark, Bakhtiari, Jaire and Gary. This list is only since the 1960's. If I wanted, I could find another 10.

You cannot retire all their numbers. But all of them are more deserving of that honor than a player who hamstrung the salary cap for a decade, hurting the team and his teammates, and failed to produce in the playoffs when it mattered.

So ridiculous says the man who values social media clicks above all else. :dunno:
He has 4 best qb rating seasons out of the top 20 seasons!

pick and choose what you want to respond to but your opinion is ridiculous.
He had. He will never have again. He is over the hill and nearly washed up. What he was is irrelevant now and will be ridiculous starting in September.

In case you forgot, the Packers have been 1 and done in the playoffs recently and the fault is mostly on Rodgers. In case you forgot, the Packers did not even make the playoffs last season because they could not beat the Lions with the washed up Rodgers.

Your opinions are beyond ridiculous, they are the opinions of an emotional child who still believes that if he wishes that Rodgers will still be competent it will make it true. Wish harder. Hold your breath, close your eyes and cross your fingers, it will make it true. LOL

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Labrev wrote:
27 Mar 2023 21:47
Errant LOLgers be all like ~this org needs to C O M M U N I C A T E and show more respect for vets! D:

also Lolgers (re:org calls)... new phone, who dis? xD =P **takes drugs**
People wanna know why the lowly Jets are the ONLY Rodgers suitor in a QB-thirsty league, this is why.

If you are gonna be this kind of a diva that by multiple reports does not put in the work, you'd better be elite. And Rodgers is not elite, he is a has-been. If all the circumstances are *perfect* you will get a Top-10 (#8 at most) QB. The circumstances are never perfect, you will more likely get a middling QB, while paying for way better.

Only the Jets are sorry enough to want that.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Here is a quick outtake on the trade situation, that puts more info into one place than I’ve seen so far.

Check out this article from packersnews.com:

Dougherty: The Packers may have been open to Aaron Rodgers' return, but they got the outcome they needed

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sport ... 052189007/

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Now we know where McGinn's "disgusted with him" report came from. :messedup:
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Scott4Pack wrote:
28 Mar 2023 08:31
Here is a quick outtake on the trade situation, that puts more info into one place than I’ve seen so far.

Dougherty: The Packers may have been open to Aaron Rodgers' return, but they got the outcome they needed

I can't afford that article, got a few relevant quotes you'd like to share?

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

TheSkeptic wrote:
28 Mar 2023 04:31
According to this, the compensation is a 2nd round pick this coming draft. I have no problems with this.

The hangup seems to be if Rodgers retires after this coming season. I personally don't think this happens unless he has a major injury or plays like crap and the Jets don't want him. But if he plays in 2024/25 then the Packers should get a 1st if the Jets win even 1 playoff game and a 2nd if they don't in either post season.

Such a shame that the Packers waited 1 year too long. It could have been 2 1sts and more and one of those firsts could already be on the team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6kc3Pd5M8E
I gotta say this would disappoint me. The Jets won’t succeed enough to boost the 2024 pick to a first, and a second next year is discounted value due to the passage of time.

If we’re really looking at a 2nd this year and next year, and Charles Robinson has long been accurate on Rodgers reporting, I’d really want a puck swap and a player as well, preferably Jeremy Ruckert.

If we’re doing two 2nds, I’d want them both this year. But this is the most detailed reporting on actual offers to date, so :idn:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Scott4Pack wrote:

that sight has a pay wall, if ya want us to read it Scott then ya have to copy and paste the article :aok:

all of these comments are tongue in cheek, from both sides, Rodgers said he felt last season was his last with us, that seemed evident after the loss to the Lions, Guty said the door is open if Rodgers wants to return, what he isn't saying is the consequences if Rodgers does come back, such as the contract cost, the reality that Love wants to play here or else where, or a duel between he and Rodgers for the star.

neither side is being completely transparent, Rodgers claims Guty should have expressed his desire to move on with Love, Guty claims he tried to reach out and discuss these alternatives with AR, and not openly through the media.

He has to know the level of animosity Rodgers has for him, why would Rodgers take a call from the guy who we now have heard wanted him replaced last season, drafted his replacement in a class with a bumper crop of WR's, passed on high floor receivers other season, forced Rodgers to ask for permission for his agent to pursue trade talks with other teams.

Guty has played this like a NY lawyer ever since taking over, has shown his dislike for Rodgers wanting input concerning the hire of Lafleur, the chastising of himself for not informing players prior to being cut and doing so the day before the draft when Rodgers said he didn't want to play for the team run by a callous GM.

my point is theres no love gone bad between these two, neither has liked the other ever since Gutekunst became the GM.
so IMO, yes the door was open for Rodgers return, but it came with conditions Rodgers found unexceptable, and I think thats what Rodgers was getting at when he said Gute wasn't transparent.

no way would Rodgers want to have a QB battle with Love, he has to much to lose, losing that would lesson his tradability and turn more fans against him,, imo it's the job of the GM to say we are making a change, not the player
Last edited by Yoop on 28 Mar 2023 09:30, edited 1 time in total.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Scott4Pack wrote:

Sorry. Here is one portion…

“ He probably had it right the first time. Maybe, maybe the Packers were initially ready to run it back with Rodgers, but only under their terms. Reading between the lines, that would mean Rodgers showing up for the offseason workout program and playing next season without the veterans (Randall Cobb, Marcedes Lewis, Robert Tonyan) he values so much.”

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I do think we can decide that COMMUNICATION (or lack thereof) might have been the biggest issue since end of 2022. I think it didn’t cause the divorce but was a symptom of it

I think maybe 12 spoke half the truth about the situation. I doubt that Guty still isn’t revealing all, as he still has cards left to play. But I think his story is probably closer to the full story.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

The truth always lies somewhere in the middle.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Can I say I’m not certain Rodgers lied lied? He misled.

He said that at the end of the season the conversation was to take his time and they’d have more conversations later.

If he ghosted, he likely saw that as taking his time. The team reached out and he wasn’t ready to have those conversations.

Rodgers said eventually something changed with the team. And Gutey said that after not hearing from him they had to go ahead and make some decisions. So something changed.

I think Gutey’s version of events shared important context that shapes WHY something changed. And Rodgers left out those details to intentionally cast the blame on the team (though I’m sure he believes that version because he’s very self obsessed)

Obviously, Rodgers said that he knew/had a feeling throughout the season that this was out for him and the Packers, then later claimed they were welcoming him back until the darkness retreat. That’s an inconsistency.

I’ve always been against Rodgers in this series of events because he’s just been openly whiny, self obsessed, and arrogant for all to see, so I can understand that there’s probably even more of that behind the scenes. I just don’t see this current war of words as the massive inconsistency or conflict that everyone else does.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

IMO the straw that broke the camel's back was losing to the Lions at Lambeau. Win and they were the wild card team. Lose and they miss the playoffs. They lost. To the worst D in the league. With a healthy team. The only missing starter was Gary.

No excuse. No possible excuse for the Packers to lose. The Packers had a good game from the D, only gave up 20 points. But Rodgers and the Packers only scored 16 points, against the worst D in the league, and lost.

Rodgers was exposed as what he is, a very average QB who gets worse every game.

In case you want to watch it again, the full game is on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2dRiNk_GoM

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

TheSkeptic wrote:
28 Mar 2023 12:19
IMO the straw that broke the camel's back was losing to the Lions at Lambeau. Win and they were the wild card team. Lose and they miss the playoffs. They lost. To the worst D in the league. With a healthy team. The only missing starter was Gary.

No excuse. No possible excuse for the Packers to lose. The Packers had a good game from the D, only gave up 20 points. But Rodgers and the Packers only scored 16 points, against the worst D in the league, and lost.

In case you want to watch it again, the full game is on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2dRiNk_GoM
I was at the game with my son. Normally win or lose, I always rewatch a game I attend to pick up the stuff I might have misssed. That game I have no desire to ever see again.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Madcity_matt wrote:
28 Mar 2023 12:36
TheSkeptic wrote:

I was at the game with my son. Normally win or lose, I always rewatch a game I attend to pick up the stuff I might have misssed. That game I have no desire to ever see again.
Yah, there with NCF, was not an enjoyable game to watch.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Madcity_matt wrote:
28 Mar 2023 12:36
TheSkeptic wrote:

There were good parts. Specifically Christian Watson. With the exception of that 1 play, Quay Walker had a great game

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

Acrobat wrote:
28 Mar 2023 09:42
The truth always lies somewhere in the middle.
No it doesn't.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
28 Mar 2023 09:53
I’ve always been against Rodgers in this series of events because he’s just been openly whiny, self obsessed, and arrogant for all to see, so I can understand that there’s probably even more of that behind the scenes. I just don’t see this current war of words as the massive inconsistency or conflict that everyone else does.
to me the whiny popped up the year after Nelsons acl, the receiver group lost the capabilities needed for McCarthy's spread vertical passing attack to work as well as they had prior, with hind sight I don't think his angst during the 017 season was with McCarthy so much, rather Ted for not adding a receiver, and that boiled over in 018, what Rodgers expected from Gutes first season as GM was a ready to play UFA vet, or a high floor draft pick, instead he got 3 mid rounders that as we saw weren't ready for this level of play.

and this same issue has prevailed up till last years draft with Watson, now there are others issues Rodgers has taken objection to, but imo the receiver issue has been the key one.

I don't get all caught up with Rodgers personal stuff, it's not necessary for me to like him personally, but I like Gutekunst even less for not supplying him with better receiver talent since he took over.