Packers DC Search

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

I'll keep resetting poll as we interview more.

Brandon Staley
8%
Bobby Babich
8%
Aden Durde
No votes
Christian Parker
8%
Chris Harris
17%
Zach Orr
8%
Denard Wilson
50%

Total votes: 12

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
28 Jan 2024 13:20
Scott4Pack wrote:
28 Jan 2024 13:12
Somebody help me. Wasn't it the Rodgers trade to the Jets where Schefter got called out for "prematurely" spreading rumor of the trade, when it hadn't been done (yet)?

Didn't we learn that at least some of the reports and bloggers (especially the bloggers) are full of guano and that they will swing in advance of any truth, that they might gain some instant credibility?

Or, have we already forgotten that?

Green Bay has a long-standing tradition of avoiding the spotlight in major decisions. Go back to when we got Peppers. Nobody knew until Julius was already in town. Other breaking events never have seemed to fit the pattern that most markets exploit.

There's at least a 50% chance that our next DC won't be known to us until they walk him to the platform at Lambeau for a "spontaneous" presser.
At a material level, everything that was reported in the Rodgers saga from 2021 to 2023 was correcct.

You can nitpick details but the high level news of Rodgers isn't happy, Packers and Rodgers have amicably decided to move on, the Packers and Jets are talking...all of it was correct at a material level.
impossible for us to know the truth about that, all we know is what is obvious, we traded Rodgers to the Jets, for draft compensation.

It's not what it is, it's how you convince others it is, and that gets done in front of a camera, often rehearsed, to say everyone or even anyone is completely truthful and transparent goes against reality :idn: :beer2:

enjoy the PO's

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

Thinking back to when we hired MLF, we knew all of the guys who got interviews, and I want to say there were strong rumblings about McDaniels and maybe a few others. Some rumors about some guys going on to round 2 or some "finalists", one of which was Monken iirc. I think the forum's speculation was that MLF was a frontrunner (but maybe not the top frontrunner) but we weren't claiming this based on any inside knowledge, just thinking about who we thought made sense.

They end up hiring MLF and Murphy claims that there were no frontrunners at all. MLF was the last to be interviewed and afterwards, all 3 of them knew he was the guy but wanted to sleep on it, and then they all had a call the next day and were all of the same opinion, so they offered him the job at that point.

At least that is my recollection.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
28 Jan 2024 13:46
Yoop wrote:
28 Jan 2024 13:41
Scott4Pack wrote:
Somebody help me. Wasn't it the Rodgers trade to the Jets where Schefter got called out for "prematurely" spreading rumor of the trade, when it hadn't been done (yet)?

Didn't we learn that at least some of the reports and bloggers (especially the bloggers) are full of guano and that they will swing in advance of any truth, that they might gain some instant credibility?

Green Bay has a long-standing tradition of avoiding the spotlight in major decisions. Go back to when we got Peppers. Nobody knew until Julius was already in town. Other breaking events never have seemed to fit the pattern that most markets exploit.

There's at least a 50% chance that our next DC won't be known to us until they walk him to the platform at Lambeau for a "spontaneous" presser.

The Packers are as tight lipped in house secure as any team in the league, they abhor rumors, if this did come out from in house, which obviously it would have had to, and is false, I'd hate to be the guy that leaked it, if true, then it was to cushion the news that we just hired the youngest least experienced defensive assistant to be a DC in possibly league history, to me thats pretty big revelation for the fan base to grasp, I know it's blowing me away :rotf:
Why? Honestly aren't you used to having a sucky defense by now? We tried the old guys.

We seriously got nothing to lose. At worst we are looking at what we have had for basically my whole life save 2 seasons.
Of course we have something to lose, I don't know why you would say that, this isn't a OTJ training faciality here, even though at times it may resemble that :rotf:

we shouldn't have gotten rid of Pettine, again, any scheme will work, dependent on talent and coaching, and young guy doesn't automatically mean improved innovative success, someone who's coached in more schemes, and at the pro level can be just as innovative, again though, no matter who it is, or the scheme they use, will require talented players to succeed.

everyone is tired of the Fangio schemes, why? could it be because minus very good DB's it turns into a prevent defense, there is no substitute for talented secondary unless you do that and hope for offensive mistakes to succeed.

I don't have a problem with young Parker, as long as his innovative schemes are something completely different then I just described :aok:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
28 Jan 2024 13:50
go pak go wrote:
28 Jan 2024 13:20
Scott4Pack wrote:

At a material level, everything that was reported in the Rodgers saga from 2021 to 2023 was correcct.

You can nitpick details but the high level news of Rodgers isn't happy, Packers and Rodgers have amicably decided to move on, the Packers and Jets are talking...all of it was correct at a material level.
impossible for us to know the truth about that, all we know is what is obvious, we traded Rodgers to the Jets, for draft compensation.

It's not what it is, it's how you convince others it is, and that gets done in front of a camera, often rehearsed, to say everyone or even anyone is completely truthful and transparent goes against reality :idn: :beer2:

enjoy the PO's
Read my post again.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
28 Jan 2024 14:10
go pak go wrote:
28 Jan 2024 13:46
Yoop wrote:
28 Jan 2024 13:41

The Packers are as tight lipped in house secure as any team in the league, they abhor rumors, if this did come out from in house, which obviously it would have had to, and is false, I'd hate to be the guy that leaked it, if true, then it was to cushion the news that we just hired the youngest least experienced defensive assistant to be a DC in possibly league history, to me thats pretty big revelation for the fan base to grasp, I know it's blowing me away :rotf:
Why? Honestly aren't you used to having a sucky defense by now? We tried the old guys.

We seriously got nothing to lose. At worst we are looking at what we have had for basically my whole life save 2 seasons.
Of course we have something to lose, I don't know why you would say that, this isn't a OTJ training faciality here, even though at times it may resemble that :rotf:

we shouldn't have gotten rid of Pettine, again, any scheme will work, dependent on talent and coaching,[/b] [/color]and young guy doesn't automatically mean improved innovative success, someone who's coached in more schemes, and at the pro level can be just as innovative, again though, no matter who it is, or the scheme they use, will require talented players to succeed.

I don't have a problem with young Parker, as long as his innovative schemes are something completely different then I just described :aok:
Extactly my point. We don't need to get up in arms about this hire. The only thing I would be upset with is if it's a same derivative of Barry (Staley) and even then it could work out.

All I care about is trying to not watch the same movie we have already watched. I prefer to go riskier on the hire because I don't think we have that much farther to fall as a defense compared to what we saw the last 2 years with the level of talent we had.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

So a lot of people on the forum favor the Ravens defensive style. But aren't they a bend don't break mainly zone team?

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

packman114 wrote:
28 Jan 2024 14:34
So a lot of people on the forum favor the Ravens defensive style. But aren't they a bend don't break mainly zone team?
I don't consider the Ravens defense a bend-but-dont-break defense at all. They play a lot of zone, sure, but are considerably more aggressive with blitzing and coverage switches.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Good. Ravens lost.

I fully expect to see some interview requests and coach movement throughout the league with HC and OC/DC hirings now.

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

APB wrote:
28 Jan 2024 17:02
packman114 wrote:
I don't consider the Ravens defense a bend-but-dont-break defense at all. They play a lot of zone, sure, but are considerably more aggressive with blitzing and coverage switches.
They weren't aggressive enough in the first half but both teams were attacking in the second half. That is what we're looking for.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

packman114 wrote:
28 Jan 2024 17:24
APB wrote:
packman114 wrote:
They weren't aggressive enough in the first half but both teams were attacking in the second half. That is what we're looking for.
Held the Chiefs to 17 points. Should’ve been enough for the win.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

packman114 wrote:
APB wrote:
packman114 wrote:
I felt they were plenty aggressive. At the end of the day Mahomes and Kelce made some amazing plays as they’re known to. Lamar had an atrocious game.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

lupedafiasco wrote:
28 Jan 2024 17:29
packman114 wrote:
APB wrote:

I felt they were plenty aggressive. At the end of the day Mahomes and Kelce made some amazing plays as they’re known to. Lamar had an atrocious game.
John Harbaugh & Co. got outfoxed by Andy Reid and Steve Spagnuolo. Andy and Steve do that sometimes. Steve learned the tricks of the trade from the late Jim Johnson (Eagles fame).

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Anyone from the Lions or Ravens we might be taking a look at this week?

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
29 Jan 2024 08:43
havn't heard a peep, I think, specially after listening to Andy, Babich and Parker seem like the lead candidates, both although young, have some pretty good coaching lineage, same with Durde, all 3 have high reviews, Staley would be a disappointment for me.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

BF004 wrote:
I think the Ravens' staff has three quality candidates (Weaver, Hewitt, Orr) to consider. One of them will likely succeed Macdonald once he takes a HC gig. I'd be fine with one of whomever is leftover. Will probably have to wait until Macdonald shakes out before going after one of the others, though, if in fact the Packers are interested.

Nobody on the Lions defensive staff inspires me. Aaron Glenn, maybe, but we wouldn't get him on a lateral move.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

APB wrote:
29 Jan 2024 17:32
BF004 wrote:
I think the Ravens' staff has three quality candidates (Weaver, Hewitt, Orr) to consider. One of them will likely succeed Macdonald once he takes a HC gig. I'd be fine with one of whomever is leftover. Will probably have to wait until Macdonald shakes out before going after one of the others, though, if in fact the Packers are interested.

Nobody on the Lions defensive staff inspires me. Aaron Glenn, maybe, but we wouldn't get him on a lateral move.
I was mistaken. Apparently there is a fourth candidate on the Ravens staff worth looking into: Secondary coach Dennard Wilson.

Seeing a lot of praise for him from pundits and players alike.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
30 Jan 2024 07:30
APB wrote:
29 Jan 2024 17:32
BF004 wrote:

I was mistaken. Apparently there is a fourth candidate on the Ravens staff worth looking into: Secondary coach Dennard Wilson.

Seeing a lot of praise for him from pundits and players alike.

thought his name was mentioned here somewhere, guess not, my feeling was that (because of names already lined up for interviews that Matt wasn't interested, so glad he is, however Wilson does seem popular, already has a bunch of interviews, have to do more research, would seem like a great prospect.

outstanding resume, has tutored up some very good players, and also had team success

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/team/co ... ard-wilson
Last edited by Yoop on 30 Jan 2024 08:00, edited 1 time in total.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

APB wrote:
28 Jan 2024 07:42
Pckfn23 wrote:
27 Jan 2024 20:00
Pckfn23 wrote:
27 Jan 2024 15:34
This is the post creating all the hubbub:
Ya, as time passes this is becoming more and more unlikely.
Or is it…?

Admittedly, I have no idea who either of these two are or how credible their “sourcing” is.
How about now?
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

If Parker did in fact have the job, then why did we just schedule a interview with Wilson? unless news of this Wilson interview has been a slow leak? :idn: