Green Bay Packers News 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

It sure would have been nice to go to against SF or the Bucs past couple times with both adams and Tee Higgins.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
11 Feb 2023 18:30
The Packers got shafted again by the Hall of Fame voting results. How may championships did Air Coryell win?
:dunno: What former Packer did not get in this time?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

bud fox wrote:
11 Feb 2023 20:40
Labrev wrote:
11 Feb 2023 20:37
And our options at QB in the draft after the Love pick are significantly worse, assuming we finish the same every year.

2021, it's Trevor Lawrence, who we had no shot at, and then nobody else has panned out yet.

2020, Pickett looks okay-ish, but was gone before our pick, maybe we can trade up a bit to get him but that's a way less talented passer than Love, and then again nobody who has shown anything other than Brock Purdy.

This coming draft, the QBs are very low-floor/high-ceiling. Trying to start a rookie out of this bunch would be a huge gamble. And at 15 overall, we don't pick all that high.

In Love's own draft, one argues that we should have taken Jalen Hurts. Hurts went ahead of our 2nd, so we'd have to trade up, so it's not like you save an extra pick, you may even give up a higher one than 4th. It's really the difference between AJ Dillon and whoever you want in the 1st (Tee Higgins?), and switch the QBs. To date, that's the -only- guy we had some shot at who may have been a better option.

So we are potentially looking at Love being the second or third best option of ALL players at his position that we had a chance at drafting.
Hurts is the only better option lol Love has had one terrible start.

We should have just waited until Rodgers was done. Swap love for Higgins boom done.
absolutely, and the whole football world agrees with you Bud, except for the Guty defenders in here. Murphy gave Rodgers a extension after replacing Ted with Gute, and while some talk here that he was brought in to rejuvenate Rodgers career, imo thats not the reason, he was brought in to change from a scheme that had stagnated and we remained one of the last teams using spread verticals, plus we lacked the receiver talent to continue that style of offense, Rodgers was forced to extend plays to much.

while we had growing pains as Rodgers adapted, we still finished 13-3, imo he adapted well, and if Guty would have drafted Higgens it could have provided more in the 2020 PO game, everyone in the football world agrees with that as well, But the new GM had to have his QB.

we brought in a small ball coach, drafted a big bruiser RB, and a H-B who 3 years later hasn't proved much, a bust of a 3rd round pick, and Cobb, basically the only real spark on offense where Adams and Jones, and Dillon to share the run load with Jones, and he's done well enough, but that is not enough to compete against the best, there is no room for injury, or some dropped passes, or a tough defensive front that can limit the run.

Pckfn 23: I don't know why you would even attempt to say we didn't know what direction Ted was taking this team, He fired Sherman, hired a spread vertical passing scheme coach and brought in receivers to make that work, that was his goal as soon as he took over from Sherman, Favre was the QB that needed a new vision and rejuvenated, and Ted continued to add high pick receivers till 2014 with Adams, then he abandoned what had made him and the team so successful and went on this building a defense through mostly just the draft process, and the offensive development went in decline, and it's taken till last years draft to finally spend another 2nd rounder on a WR, 8 years of D&D of mid round WR that provided nothing more then #3 and 4 production, and you blame Rodgers for that?

In the first 10 years of Ted we where the talked about franchise for getting stuff right, even though Ted should have used UFA more to build the defense backup, specially so at FS after losing Collins, and used another 2nd rounder on a WR in 2016.

sorry for the rant everyone, but the way this team has been built concerns and upsets me, Rodgers needed more talent on offense, and Guty was no help to him, and in my opinion thats the biggest reason we havn't done better in the PO's, ya can't carry a defense and special teams without a potent offense.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pugger wrote:
11 Feb 2023 23:34
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
The Packers got shafted again by the Hall of Fame voting results. How may championships did Air Coryell win?
I'am assuming Jack Vainisi.

But Don Coryell revolutionized the pass game, doesn't matter what his win/lost record is, like Vainisi, both should have been voted in years ago.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Sorry, but if Adams, Jones, MVS, 2020 Tonyan is not enough for him, then he's pathetic; no amount of extra good receivers would have made a difference.

Mahomes just got to a SB with less than that. Brady won it with less.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

Pugger wrote:
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
Check the "2023 Pro Football Hall of Fame Class" thread

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Tough one between Sharpe and Tae.

Give me Sterling, Jordy, Brooks

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
12 Feb 2023 08:14
Sorry, but if Adams, Jones, MVS, 2020 Tonyan is not enough for him, then he's pathetic; no amount of extra good receivers would have made a difference.

oh please, Mahomes got to the SB because his team stayed healthy, yes I think he's the best QB now, but that doesn't make Rodgers the dilapedated QB you act as though he is.

probably would have been enough if they had just caught the passes, again you have a middling TE, who Lafleur did scheme up well for, he caught something like 50 of 58 targets during the season, but was mostly absent for the PO game and if memory serves dropped a first down throw, MVS about the same, Jones had over 100 receiving yards, and Adams was held to 60 plus yards, another receiver like Higgens could have made it easier for the others to do better, see thats how this stuff works, the more you have the thinner it spreads out the defense, but you don't want to listen to any reasonable response, just blame a great QB.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BF004 wrote:
12 Feb 2023 08:45

that top tier is really to close to call, I'am convinced of one thing, give me any two of those 3 and we possibly have a couple more Owls.

Tae is more recent, so what he can do is more fresh in my mind

Jordy gets the nod over Jennings, again mostly same reason, Greg could hit high gear as quick as any receiver we've had in years, Jordy was just more dependable, and could out muscle on contested balls, love that in him

no argument, Robert Brooks always seemed under rated by fans, in fact I think he belongs in tier 2 with Driver.

Dowler and Dale can only be remembered with stats, which is fine, but that was the RB era, so in todays game they would have a lot more production imo. so it's hard to compare them to these later year WR's

so yep I tend to agree, Tae, Jordy, and Brooksy are my choices to.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
12 Feb 2023 08:53
Labrev wrote:

oh please, Mahomes got to the SB because his team stayed healthy, yes I think he's the best QB now,
Mahomes did not have Juju, that glorified slot receiver you think is a WR1, in the AFCCG.

You know how Mahomes made up for it? Throwing to MVS.

Funny how with an actual elite MVP, MVS is more than enough help. Speaking of.....
probably would have been enough if they had just caught the passes, again you have a middling TE, who Lafleur did scheme up well for, he caught something like 50 of 58 targets during the season, but was mostly absent for the PO game and if memory serves dropped a first down throw, MVS about the same,
MVS was on frickin fire that game: 4 rec, 115, 1 TD.

Adams was being double- and triple-covered all game.

Rodgers threw to Adams, who was never open that game, 15 times, and threw to a red-hot MVS only 6 times.

In the AFCCG, Mahomes did not similarly try to force the ball to his only star receiver available, he threw to Kelce almost half as much (8 targets) as Rodgers threw it to Adams. Kelce only had 11 more yards in that game than Adams had in the other. He threw an equal number of passes to MVS, connecting on six. You know, he spread the ball, without needing all the other receiving targets to be star players or incredible talents.

And then the shills come in here and say "but, but.... what if we had Tee Higgins??"

Mahomes went up against the team with Tee Higgins, Tyler Boyd, Hayden Hurst, Jamar Chase, with Kelce and MVS... and he won. That's what a true elite/MVP QB looks like. You know what kind of QB needs all his WRs to be good? A *bad* QB.

(I once made this point before, and bud fox freaked out like "zOMG you're saying Rodgers is a bad QB?!?" No, actually, Rodgers shills are the ones saying that by insisting he needs all the good WRs in the world to beat good teams).

another receiver like Higgens could have made it easier for the others to do better, see thats how this stuff works, the more you have the thinner it spreads out the defense, but you don't want to listen to any reasonable response, just blame a great QB.
Actually, the Tampa defense *was* spread thin because they were doubling and even tripling Adams almost all game, but it meant that Rodgers needed to actually throw to those guys. Namely, MVS.

Or maybe that "middling" TE who by your own admission caught almost every ball thrown his way that year, and was particularly good in the red zone (10 TDs)... but nah, it's everybody else's fault that Rodgers ignored him in the red-zone that day and instead kept forcing balls to a Davante Adams who was never even open.

But Rodgers didn't throw to the other guys. Instead, he did the same thing he does in all the elimination games we lost with him, just like Favre did the same thing he did in all those games we lost with him. Favre and Rodgers didn't make those mistakes because they just needed one more good WR, they did it because they are dyed-in-the-wool Choke Artists.

A leopard does not change his spots no matter how many good WRs you give it.

but that doesn't make Rodgers the dilapedated QB you act as though he is.
Just because I don't think Rodgers is some superhuman like you do does not mean I think he is "dilapedated."

I think he is Favre/Manning. A good QB... in the REGULAR season, and overrated because of it. The higher the pressure gets (NFCCG, Division Game, win-and-you're-in against the worst D in football) the worse they all performed.

That's why I have in my sig Rodgers = Favre.

SEETHE!!
—Magneto

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yoop wrote:
12 Feb 2023 07:49
Pckfn 23: I don't know why you would even attempt to say we didn't know what direction Ted was taking this team, He fired Sherman, hired a spread vertical passing scheme coach and brought in receivers to make that work, that was his goal as soon as he took over from Sherman, Favre was the QB that needed a new vision and rejuvenated, and Ted continued to add high pick receivers till 2014 with Adams, then he abandoned what had made him and the team so successful and went on this building a defense through mostly just the draft process, and the offensive development went in decline, and it's taken till last years draft to finally spend another 2nd rounder on a WR, 8 years of D&D of mid round WR that provided nothing more then #3 and 4 production, and you blame Rodgers for that?
Pckfn23 wrote:
11 Feb 2023 19:22
No one saw the TT vision until 2011, almost 6 years after Rodgers was drafted.
The hate for Ted Thompson prior to the Super Bowl run was wide spread and severe. There was even a website devoted to it! While many didn't see a plan, it did culminate into a Super Bowl win, albeit 6 years after he took the reigns.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

yoop don't ever tell me again about how I just don't know about the Packers from 30 years ago, when you can't remember a game from 3 years ago but also (the more unforgiveable part) can't be bothered to look up the stats for it.

You never will check the facts because your narrative is not based in them, it's based in emotions: wahhh the 70s and 80s! wahhh you all must accept the status-quo because I have PTSD from stuff that happened many decades ago! wahhh why won't all the other players, the coaches, and GMs just win the game FOR Rodgers and give the king his rings! wahhh wahhh wahhh!

My narrative is based on TRUTH! If Rodgers sealed the deal just *one* year of 2014, 2020, or 2021, I would agree to making him GM.

But the facts are the facts, he COST us the trophy those years.
Last edited by Labrev on 12 Feb 2023 11:38, edited 1 time in total.
—Magneto

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:

Ya, pretty even between Adams and Sharpe, but on board with your other 2. Pick from this:
Tier 1
image.png
image.png (16.51 KiB) Viewed 566 times
Tier 2
image.png
image.png (14.57 KiB) Viewed 566 times
Tier 3
image.png
image.png (13.84 KiB) Viewed 564 times
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Labrev wrote:

Mahomes and Brady had better defenses than we did (or at least better schemes and coaching on D).

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Yoop wrote:
12 Feb 2023 09:14
BF004 wrote:

that top tier is really to close to call, I'am convinced of one thing, give me any two of those 3 and we possibly have a couple more Owls.

Tae is more recent, so what he can do is more fresh in my mind

Jordy gets the nod over Jennings, again mostly same reason, Greg could hit high gear as quick as any receiver we've had in years, Jordy was just more dependable, and could out muscle on contested balls, love that in him

no argument, Robert Brooks always seemed under rated by fans, in fact I think he belongs in tier 2 with Driver.

Dowler and Dale can only be remembered with stats, which is fine, but that was the RB era, so in todays game they would have a lot more production imo. so it's hard to compare them to these later year WR's

so yep I tend to agree, Tae, Jordy, and Brooksy are my choices to.
I don't think Dowler and Dale would succeed in today's game. They, along with all those greats from that era, didn't have the speed of players even in the late 70s and onward.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Pugger wrote:
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
Sterling Sharpe, Jack Vainisi, Gale Gillingham, Bill Howton, Verne Lewellen and Lavvie Dilweg. Irritating!

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Pugger wrote:
12 Feb 2023 12:05
I don't think Dowler and Dale would succeed in today's game. They, along with all those greats from that era, didn't have the speed of players even in the late 70s and onward.
It's why comparing players from different eras is so hard. It's progression of athletics as a whole though. 1936, 100 meter champ was 10.3, 1964 was 10.0, 2021 was 9.8. Most 1960s/70s and before players/athletes had jobs outside of their sport. Really need to look at how these players performed in their era against those players to then compare them across eras. Give those old players a life of training for football and who knows.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Pckfn23 wrote:
12 Feb 2023 11:30
BF004 wrote:

Ya, pretty even between Adams and Sharpe, but on board with your other 2. Pick from this:
Tier 1
image.png
Tier 2
image.png
Tier 3
image.png
Dear God, 510 catches on 595 targets??? That’s like an 86% completion rate. For a career? :shock:

They must have recorded targets differently since then. If that is accurate, Holy Hannah.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:
12 Feb 2023 12:31
Pckfn23 wrote:
12 Feb 2023 11:30
BF004 wrote:

Tier 1
image.png
Tier 2
image.png
Tier 3
image.png
Dear God, 510 catches on 595 targets??? That’s like an 86% completion rate. For a career? :shock:

They must have recorded targets differently since then. If that is accurate, Holy Hannah.
I think part of his career they didn't record targets that's why his targets are at 510 and his receptions are 595. I want to say 1992 is the first year of targets as an official stat.
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 12 Feb 2023 12:44, edited 1 time in total.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

[quote=Labrev post_id=120784 time=1676222448 user_id=86]
yoop don't ever tell me again about how I just don't know about the Packers from 30 years ago, when you can't remember a game from 3 years ago but also (the more unforgiveable part) can't be bothered to look up the stats for it.

You never will check the facts because your narrative is not based in them, it's based in emotions: wahhh the 70s and 80s! wahhh you all must accept the status-quo because I have PTSD from stuff that happened many decades ago! wahhh why won't all the other players, the coaches, and GMs just win the game FOR Rodgers and give the king his rings! wahhh wahhh wahhh!

My narrative is based on TRUTH! If Rodgers sealed the deal just *one* year of 2014, 2020, or 2021, I would agree to making him GM.

But the facts are the facts, he COST us the trophy those years.

I may have gotten 2020 and 2021 reversed on some of this, but our receivers caused our 2020 loss with about 5 key dropped passes, so he didn't cause those losses, and you and GPG and others here rag on him rather then point fingers at what really cost us those games, look around the league most QB's tend to be conservative in most games because mistakes to often change the out come, that when the rest of the players need to step up, and ours havn't, so bitching about Rodgers is such BS.

also MVS this season had a new offensive scheme to work with, and he also looked to be running better routes, you know, the &%$@ that really matters, and Big Bob did have schemes drown up that helped him be the #2 target in 2020, why he disappeared in the PO game had more to do with great defense then Rodgers not throwing to him, this is you twisting up and contorting what actually happened, as usual, like most you'll defend this FO and blame the best QB this team ever had for the &%$@ show for the last 6 or so years, Rodgers still is good enough to win it all with, but he can't do so with &%$@ defense or ST's or minimal skill positions on offense, no QB could, and your going to find that out smart ass.

and in reality you are a puppy, how in the hell would you know what transpired in the early years of Favre, you dislike me for telling you all your knowledge about that comes from a book, but it does, so get off your high horse and just admit your knowledge is second hand.