Green Bay Packers News 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
08 Jan 2024 18:36
Wow

Not even first place. :thwap:

Just another failure at 1265

But seriously. Our batting average when we get hot with WRs is insane. I was getting a bit nervous that Gute didn't have the TT instinct at WR.

The last two years proved that wrong. :)
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

image.png
image.png (40.83 KiB) Viewed 663 times
Players with 750+ receiving yards, 100+ rushing yards, 8+ receiving TDs, and 2+ rushing TDs
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I think some of us expected Reed and Wicks would be very good simply watching draft videos and hype pre draft and then PS games, the good ones make everything look easy, I think Doubs looked better last season, any little dinger though robs players of potential, probably WR more then other positions, Watson has what coaches can't teach, and the desire to learn what God didn't give him, same with Melton, Heath etc, again imo this is shaping up as the best group of receivers the team has had in years, hopefully all keep ascending

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
08 Jan 2024 20:04
BF004 wrote:
08 Jan 2024 18:36
Wow

Not even first place. :thwap:

Just another failure at 1265

But seriously. Our batting average when we get hot with WRs is insane. I was getting a bit nervous that Gute didn't have the TT instinct at WR.

The last two years proved that wrong. :)
more sarcasm of course, :lol: your right he did well, but it really helps to use high picks too, Watson, Reed, Musgrave where the highest picks since 2014, personally I think Wicks might be one of his best draft picks of his tenure

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Speaking of Reed, any news on his chest injury?

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
09 Jan 2024 13:20
I think some of us expected Reed and Wicks would be very good simply watching draft videos and hype pre draft and then PS games, the good ones make everything look easy, I think Doubs looked better last season, any little dinger though robs players of potential, probably WR more then other positions, Watson has what coaches can't teach, and the desire to learn what God didn't give him, same with Melton, Heath etc, again imo this is shaping up as the best group of receivers the team has had in years, hopefully all keep ascending
I disagree on Doubs. I think it's perception because he had a great week 3 in 2022 and we extrapolate that to the rest of the season.

Doubs had 3 games over 50 yards in 2022
Doubs has 5 games over 50 yards in 2023

I think he is what he is both years. A guy who runs decent routes and by and large is dependable on contested catches. If Doubs wants to stay in the lineup though, he needs to come down with even more contested balls otherwise the rest of the roster is going to bypass him.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pugger wrote:
09 Jan 2024 13:46
Same as it was 10 weeks ago.

Hurts like hell but he is a dawg.
Yoop wrote:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

go pak go wrote:
09 Jan 2024 13:50
Pugger wrote:

I believe she was meaning Doubs.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

I should also ask about Doubs. I heard he was coughing up blood on Sunday. :(

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Pckfn23 wrote:
09 Jan 2024 13:52
go pak go wrote:
Pugger wrote:

I believe she was meaning Doubs.
Yes I did. :oops:

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

go pak go wrote:
Yoop wrote:
I disagree on Doubs. I think it's perception because he had a great week 3 in 2022 and we extrapolate that to the rest of the season.

I think he is what he is both years. A guy who runs decent routes and by and large is dependable on contested catches. If Doubs wants to stay in the lineup though, he needs to come down with even more contested balls otherwise the rest of the roster is going to bypass him.
I am starting to think that also about Doubs. He does many things well and looks the part, but for some reason has issues finishing catches at times. Its weird how he seemingly makes a great catch but then looks clumsy with ball in hand and drops or fumbles. Its not just 1 play either. I can think of a few.

I definitely joined the Wicks and Reed bandwagon a few weeks ago. They are good football players and seems to know how to run routes, catch and score :lol:

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

I also think that Wicks will take the WR#2 job with Watson (when healthy) at WR#1 and Reed in the slot. Doubs is WR#3 which is still significant.

We also have to consider that the Packers now have 2 starting quality TE's and Reed might get a lot of snaps outside. That would push Doubs down behind Watson, Wicks and Reed. And maybe behind Bo Melton also. It is also possible that Sims will develop into something too, and he has good speed so he could become a receiving threat too. 3rd and short might result in 3 TE's all of whom can catch and be a mismatch against a LB.

MLF will have a lot of options for next season's playbook. Bring back 5 wide

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

MY_TAKE wrote:
09 Jan 2024 23:47
go pak go wrote:
Yoop wrote:

I am starting to think that also about Doubs. He does many things well and looks the part, but for some reason has issues finishing catches at times. Its weird how he seemingly makes a great catch but then looks clumsy with ball in hand and drops or fumbles. Its not just 1 play either. I can think of a few.

I definitely joined the Wicks and Reed bandwagon a few weeks ago. They are good football players and seems to know how to run routes, catch and score :lol:
In terms of talent I thought Doubs since early season was our number 4.

What changed things is Bo Melton. Bo is faster and he is also proving tough to take down. He also blocks well and seems to have an uncanny ability to find open holes in zones.

The "getting open" may just be because the defense doesn't focus on him. But I do believe it is trending that Melton may force himself in the top 4.

That's when Doubs may start having to battle for playing time.
Yoop wrote:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I liked Doubs a lot as a prospect and he has been a fine player for us but he has developed differently than I expected. He was a guy who made lots of downfield plays as a college receiver, but as a pro, he has been more of a James Jones than a Jordy Nelson. There's a place for that kind of receiver, and he has been valuable in move-the-chains situations, but I think a guy like that is fairly easily replaceable.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Labrev wrote:
10 Jan 2024 09:20
I liked Doubs a lot as a prospect and he has been a fine player for us but he has developed differently than I expected. He was a guy who made lots of downfield plays as a college receiver, but as a pro, he has been more of a James Jones than a Jordy Nelson. There's a place for that kind of receiver, and he has been valuable in move-the-chains situations, but I think a guy like that is fairly easily replaceable.
Agreed.

I still honestly think Doubs will be in our long term plans. Love and Doubs have a great connection and relationship. Posession guys are vastly important. He just needs to find a way to come up with a few more balls. Last Sunday's TD ball was a great example.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

sometimes the easiest way to realize who is number one receiver is to watch how opposing DC design coverages to stop them, Reed wins this hands down almost every game, Wicks, then Melton, Doubs, Watson doesn't play enough, DC aren't going to scheme to stop a guy who never plays, folks get all wrapped up in these boundary receivers, but the game has changed we see a lot more short passes now which makes slot receivers in more demand, and Reed makes a living any spot ya play him :mrgreen:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

go pak go wrote:
10 Jan 2024 09:47
I still honestly think Doubs will be in our long term plans. Love and Doubs have a great connection and relationship.
eh, I'd like to see Love take us back more to the Favre era where he will throw to you, ready or not, like he did with rookie Greg Jennings or a Sidney Rice in MIN, and allowing us to cycle through the replaceable guys a bit more quickly and get new guys going more quickly, rather than having to worry about if the QB will "connect" with the replacements and hold onto just okay players longer than we ought to.
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:
10 Jan 2024 10:18
go pak go wrote:
I still honestly think Doubs will be in our long term plans. Love and Doubs have a great connection and relationship.
eh, I'd like to see Love take us back more to the Favre era where he will throw to you, ready or not, like he did with rookie Greg Jennings or a Sidney Rice in MIN, and allowing us to cycle through the replaceable guys a bit more quickly and get new guys going more quickly, rather than having to worry about if the QB will "connect" with the replacements and hold onto just okay players longer than we ought to.
thats not a QB issue, thats the job of the GM
Last edited by Yoop on 10 Jan 2024 10:34, edited 1 time in total.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
10 Jan 2024 10:26
Labrev wrote:
10 Jan 2024 10:18
go pak go wrote:
thats not a QB issue, thats the job of the GM, not everything is the fault of our past QB, figured you push this line.
No, it's patently not the GM's job to make the QB throw to a talented WR, only to supply talented WRs.
—Magneto