Jordan Love Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yeah, this is a tough one, but I think I'm 60/40 move on from AR.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Drj820 wrote:
11 Dec 2021 17:54
APB wrote:
11 Dec 2021 17:38
go pak go wrote:I'm not gonna say Love was good. He wasn't. It was a bad game. But I am not going to make any preconceived judgements yet either.
If those judgments are being made following his KC performance, how are they preconceived...?

:dunno: ;)
Love has only been able to take roughly 2,000 reps in practice over two years where he can practice his footwork, he must get a minimum of one million reps in practice before we can make any judgements on the first round selection.
2021 is really Love's first full season with any real live NFL action in the preseason and as the primary backup to AR. I'd feel a lot better if he had one more full season after this one before we hand the reins over from #12.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
12 Dec 2021 09:47
What happened with Love in Kansas City doesn't prove he can't do anything... but it also failed to prove that he can.
right, and just because I crashed and burned trying to be a drag bike racer on that 1972 H2 Kawasaki widow maker does not mean I couldn't do better on a normal motorcycle :rotf:

you had it right from the start, Love was/is a guy that needs to sit and learn, to bad the pandemic stripped him of his rookie off seasson, imo his biggest issue was handling the pressure, and the best way to learn to do that is real time games.

the dilemma is keeping Rodgers another season so Love can catch up to the speed of the pro game, my opinion anyway.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

What would be nice?

To see the Packers up big in the 4th quarter and Love gets to run a full series successfully and close out the game(s).

But I don't want Love to be starting another game this season. He needs another pre-season and he needs to play with the starters in the pre-season.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Herbert and Burrow came in during the “Covid season” and the year counted for both of them.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
12 Dec 2021 17:13
Herbert and Burrow came in during the “Covid season” and the year counted for both of them.
The #1 overall and #7 overall pick?

Yeah, that's a wholly different class of prospect than the 26th pick. We've gone over this like 8,000 times and all you've brought to the conversation is snark about reps. Do we need to show the Aaron Rodgers rookie Ravens and sophomore Patriots stat lines again? Or the absolutely lost clips of him on the field in those games? Do we need to show the college tape of Burrow, Herbert, and Love to compare the mechanics and fundamentals as starting points?

You're comparing apples to oranges and wondering why they produce different juices

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
12 Dec 2021 17:20
Drj820 wrote:
12 Dec 2021 17:13
The #1 overall and #7 overall pick?

Yeah, that's a wholly different class of prospect than the 26th pick. We've gone over this like 8,000 times and all you've brought to the conversation is snark about reps. Do we need to show the Aaron Rodgers rookie Ravens and sophomore Patriots stat lines again? Or the absolutely lost clips of him on the field in those games? Do we need to show the college tape of Burrow, Herbert, and Love to compare the mechanics and fundamentals as starting points?

You're comparing apples to oranges and wondering why they produce different juices
I just think it’s silly how all of last year is treated like it shouldn’t count and it offered nothing to be benefited from.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
12 Dec 2021 17:26
I just think it’s silly how all of last year is treated like it shouldn’t count and it offered nothing to be benefited from.
I mean it obviously benefitted him because all accounts from training camp and from coaches were that he was much farther ahead in year two than year one, so I agree with you that it mattered.

But he also is someone who needed a lot of work and it is a shame that our ability to do that development was hampered by circumstances beyond our control.

It can be true both that the COVID year hampered his potential development relative to a regular year, and also that having the limited year that he did still provided some level of benefit, even if less than optimal.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Love looked bad against the Chiefs.

I don't think he will play more than one full season as a packer starter - I think that will be partly on him and the roster around him.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
12 Dec 2021 17:30
Drj820 wrote:
12 Dec 2021 17:26
I mean it obviously benefitted him because all accounts from training camp and from coaches were that he was much farther ahead in year two than year one, so I agree with you that it mattered.

But he also is someone who needed a lot of work and it is a shame that our ability to do that development was hampered by circumstances beyond our control.

It can be true both that the COVID year hampered his potential development relative to a regular year, and also that having the limited year that he did still provided some level of benefit, even if less than optimal.
I think what hurt him worse than covid was being in street close every game and being third string.

This was due to coaches knowing he was unplayable and not close in performance ability to even undrafted laser show.

Which makes one wonder if selecting Love in the late first round was actually a reach, or if the pick was worth the fallout that has occurred since that day in April.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

What I've seen from Jordan Love as a second year player reminds me a lot of two starting players for comparison--Justin Fields as a rookie, and Taylor Heineke as a young career backup who finally got a chance

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

bud fox wrote:
12 Dec 2021 17:42

I don't think he will play more than one full season as a packer starter - I think that will be partly on him and the roster around him.
translation= Love didn't play as well as I think he should have against KC, don't ask me why, I don't care about reasons, and excuses are like my lower unit, every ones got one, so don't give me any of those, Love will be out of the league and selling womans under wear by 2023. :rotf:

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

YoHoChecko wrote:
12 Dec 2021 19:59
What I've seen from Jordan Love as a second year player reminds me a lot of two starting players for comparison--Justin Fields as a rookie, and Taylor Heineke as a young career backup who finally got a chance
I don't think he is as good as fields ... He looks to have a better arm but fields sees the game better ... I have only seen one game from fields ... Last night

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Yoop wrote:
13 Dec 2021 14:02
bud fox wrote:
12 Dec 2021 17:42

translation= Love didn't play as well as I think he should have against KC, don't ask me why, I don't care about reasons, and excuses are like my lower unit, every ones got one, so don't give me any of those, Love will be out of the league and selling womans under wear by 2023. :rotf:
I just don't think he sees the game well which just leads to failure in the NFL but also our roster won't be as good because of a rebuild. It will be a bad year when be starts and he will move onto anotber team - not be out of the league

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

bud fox wrote:
13 Dec 2021 15:44
YoHoChecko wrote:
I don't think he is as good as fields ... He looks to have a better arm but fields sees the game better ... I have only seen one game from fields ... Last night
I have seen more than one game from Fields and I think the difference between them is volume and opportunity.

Their baseline stats are actually similarish, also.

Fields is completing 57.6% of his passes at 6.9 yards per attempt with a TD:INT ratio of 6:10 and a rating of 69
Love completed 58.5% of his passes for 6.3 yards per attempt with 1 TD and 1 INT and a rating of 75

They both abandon the pass and scramble a bit too early. They both have good arms. They both have scattered ball placement especially on the move. They both look raw and have a lot to learn.

Heineke has all those traits, but looks to be at or near his ceiling. Like he is getting the best of his physical tools and the outcomes are much like Fields' or in smaller doses, Love. But he has elevated to this point with lesser arm strength and size and may not be trending up.

But the idea of comparisons were to point out what QB play at this level might look like--Heineke not quite good enough for WFT. Fields provides little more than hope to Bears fans at this juncture, but no moreso than Love provides to us--well, at least to me.

I think the 15 slot difference in the draft status of Love and Fields is the difference in years. Fields was a year ahead of Love on the learning curve, so he went higher than Love. Love is a 2nd year player and Fields a rookie, but Love is only 4-5 months older than Fields.

I dunno why, it just helps my thought process to place people into little comparison groups or categories when I see stylistic or strength/weakness similarities. And I've seen a decent amount of Heineke, especially. When I watched Love play this year, I thought "oh, it looks like that WFT kid, but younger and with more natural talent--talent which won't matter if his ball placement under pressure remains scattershot, but will be quite evident if he finds himself comfortable enough to play within a scheme most of the time and grow through some of his off-schedule struggles.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

YoHoChecko wrote:
13 Dec 2021 16:02
bud fox wrote:
YoHoChecko wrote:
I have seen more than one game from Fields and I think the difference between them is volume and opportunity.

Fields is completing 57.6% of his passes at 6.9 yards per attempt with a TD:INT ratio of 6:10 and a rating of 69
Love completed 58.5% of his passes for 6.3 yards per attempt with 1 TD and 1 INT and a rating of 75

They both abandon the pass and scramble a bit too early. They both have good arms. They both have scattered ball placement especially on the move. They both look raw and have a lot to learn.

Heineke has all those traits, but looks to be at or near his ceiling. Like he is getting the best of his physical tools and the outcomes are much like Fields' or in smaller doses, Love. But he has elevated to this point with lesser arm strength and size and may not be trending up.

But the idea of comparisons were to point out what QB play at this level might look like--Heineke not quite good enough for WFT. Fields provides little more than hope to Bears fans at this juncture, but no moreso than Love provides to us--well, at least to me.

I think the 15 slot difference in the draft status of Love and Fields is the difference in years. Fields was a year ahead of Love on the learning curve, so he went higher than Love. Love is a 2nd year player and Fields a rookie, but Love is only 4-5 months older than Fields.

I dunno why, it just helps my thought process to place people into little comparison groups or categories when I see stylistic or strength/weakness similarities. And I've seen a decent amount of Heineke, especially. When I watched Love play this year, I thought "oh, it looks like that WFT kid, but younger and with more natural talent--talent which won't matter if his ball placement under pressure remains scattershot, but will be quite evident if he finds himself comfortable enough to play within a scheme most of the time and grow through some of his off-schedule struggles.
Fair enough.

Agree on them moving early but Love seemed to always break out to the left or right, where as Fields moved in different directions.

Fields first int wasnt a bad play it was just a soft arm throw. I didn't think he made that many bad plays.

I really don't like the tape from Love's last year in college and that is probably clouding my judgement.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

bud fox wrote:
13 Dec 2021 16:48
YoHoChecko wrote:
13 Dec 2021 16:02
bud fox wrote:

Fair enough.

Agree on them moving early but Love seemed to always break out to the left or right, where as Fields moved in different directions.

Fields first int wasnt a bad play it was just a soft arm throw. I didn't think he made that many bad plays.

I really don't like the tape from Love's last year in college and that is probably clouding my judgement.
FWIW I see traces of Russ Wilson in Fields game.

I see nothing similar to fields and Heinekie

And nothing similar about those two with Love.

Everybody in Chicago knows they have something worth developing and a foundation to work with in Justin Fields. How many are convinced of that in year two of Love?

bobsacamano
Reactions:

Post by bobsacamano »

NCF wrote:
08 Dec 2021 10:55
bobsacamano wrote:
08 Dec 2021 10:27
Waldo wrote:
09 Nov 2021 09:28

Nice thing with Love is there is no reason to give him 2 seasons. If he bombs it his first season starting, team should immediately think another high pick at QB. No need to string it along a few years.

I see zero chance Rodgers is still with the Packers next year.
I bet he is.
Requires a couple things...

1.) Fat new contract with a whole lot of value pushed out to future years
2.) Close the door on Jordan Love. These two are tied. If you commit to Rodgers, you move on from Love.
3.) Rodgers has to accept that he will be playing on a lesser team in 2022 and maybe 2023. The cap will dictate this. No way around it.

I think as much as the Packers committing to Rodgers, Rodgers almost has to commit to the Packers for another 5-6 seasons to make it viable and accept that the cap reality means we essentially need to rebuild the team around him to open a new window in 2023 or 2024.

I certainly cannot rule it out, but I still think it is unlikely.
1. Agree
2. Agree
3. Perhaps and maybe even likely. However, there is a definte way around it . Brian Gutekunst contunues to draft well and continues his thrifty free agent activitiy. The guy has proven to be damn good at it too.

GB needs to commit to Rodgers and Rodgers wants them to, but certianly not for 6 more years.

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

Tyler Hundley looked like a potential starter down the road for someone.

Love looked like a used car salesman.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Love didn't play today, FYI, not sure you knew that.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."