Topic Split: Stock Market Watch

Cheesy topics (like the Cheese Curds thread) go here. Topics that aren't Packer related will be moved here as well.

Mmmm.... cheese.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Captain_Ben wrote:
03 Nov 2021 18:00
004, where you at, Dog?

&%$@'s about to go down

$AMC
That was a fun after hours yesterday.

Sold off all my December and January calls this morning. Was just about to get back in at 38.88, was waiting for it to complete the gap fill at 38.80. Guessing I was down those overall, but had good buy ins and that was a beautiful IV spike this morning. Look for some opportunities to get that money back in, either March calls at the earliest or maybe just stocks.

Actually, eod I did throw more of that money at PROG, so don’t have a ton left, lol.

Some weird random behavior been happening that I’d take as good news for the apes.

Still holding my 3 GME shares too, lol.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Oh crap, what did I miss? I haven't even thought to look at stuff the last few days.
RIP JustJeff

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

BF004 wrote:
03 Nov 2021 18:43
Captain_Ben wrote:
004, where you at, Dog?

&%$@'s about to go down

$AMC

Sold off all my December and January calls this morning. Was just about to get back in at 38.88, was waiting for it to complete the gap fill at 38.80. Guessing I was down those overall, but had good buy ins and that was a beautiful IV spike this morning. Look for some opportunities to get that money back in, either March calls at the earliest or maybe just stocks.

Actually, eod I did throw more of that money at PROG, so don’t have a ton left, lol.

Some weird random behavior been happening that I’d take as good news for the apes.

Just bought some $45 puts this morning. With my luck, watch this thing go to the moon tomorrow. :lol:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Captain_Ben wrote:
08 Nov 2021 14:11
BF004 wrote:
Captain_Ben wrote:
004, where you at, Dog?

&%$@'s about to go down

$AMC

Just bought some $45 puts this morning. With my luck, watch this thing go to the moon tomorrow. :lol:
I did sell two of my calls today on the run up, thinking of selling some stock before the end of the day and just buy back in tomorrow. Feel like we've always been hit really hard after earnings calls, even when they were good. Quick run up before kind of making me expect it too. If it gaps up, ah well, I'll miss a few shares, but if we start going down, like we normally do, buy back in and net some free shares.

420 and 69 will never not be funny :lol:

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

I am not familiar enough with the different types of trades. That said, I put in a limit order yesterday at about 4:30 CST and it executed and sold for $44.13. I only had 41 shares. Made a little over $400 total, but 20 of those shares were bought at $54 in early summer so took a loss on those. Got tired of waiting for "the moon" when it seems the new range is mostly $30 to $40, so took the profit on this little run up.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

I've been debating what to do with AMC as well. I don't have near the holdings some of you have (about 7.5). If I sold now, I'd be up around $200. But I'm inclined to wait out another spike and see if I can capitalize on that.
RIP JustJeff

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I had no idea about this.

Most of the stocks I have been in are small cap growth stocks in disrupting industries. At least for my play money investing (I'm not stupid. I am far more diversified in other funds but here I will only be talking about my fun money/dream money brokerage account). I am very much a Kathie Woods person.

I kicked ass last year but then lost most all of it once the money went away from the small caps into the value stocks.

My biggest mistake is I was hedged really good with oil and green energy/EV stocks last winter. Then I thought oil reached its peak and sold out in February to buy more EV's, 5g, battery, space/satellite etc. stocks.

Huge mistake. I went from 50% return in 4 months to basically now around 10% to 15% because I bought in too quickly on many stocks.

Dollar Average Cost boys. Of course I also planned on doing that until some medical issues prevented me from continuing to put more cash in my brokerage fund to do so.

Life is so much about luck and timing.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Captain_Ben wrote:
BF004 wrote:
Captain_Ben wrote:
004, where you at, Dog?

&%$@'s about to go down

$AMC

Those probably were probably printing beautifully for you.

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

BF004 wrote:
11 Nov 2021 17:50
Captain_Ben wrote:
BF004 wrote:

Those probably were probably printing beautifully for you.
Sold 'em off for a quick profit. Didn't want to be holding puts too long right now because the chart is looking pretty bullish and more importantly I think Elon Musk is going to do something in the near future that will have a drastic affect on this play.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BF004 wrote:
27 Sep 2021 12:46
Captain_Ben wrote:
14 Sep 2021 12:28
BF004 wrote:
13 Sep 2021 21:35
What are you liking about SNDL? Chart in a steady decline, with doesn't look like a ton of shorting or anything. It's high, but not like squeeze high or anything.
Top Leaf is their premier brand, supposedly coming out with some big news 9/16.
Been tracking this since you pointed it out.

Finally bought in for 300 shares and immediately sold some covered calls, got $9 for selling $1 calls for 10/8. About 4.5% ROI every two weeks if I can keep this up or I'd be happy to sell them for $1. :munch:
So every time I sell a CC, I buy shares. Only like 4-9 shares every other week or so. But up to about 370 shares now.

Live earnings report right now. Must be good, up 22% ah right now. Feel like covered calls are the cheat code of the stock market. Hardest part is getting lots of 100 shares, but can legit get like 50% returns on the year. Worst case scenario the stock rips and you get to sell it for like 30-40% gain (my typical otm target for a ~2-3 out week CC).

Could see that being a big part of retirement income for me down the road.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Feel like this guy is a great follow for anyone following AMC, GME, lot of EV plays like Lucid and Tesla, broader market and crypto.

Seems to be what a lot around here follow.

I’ve been following him for nearly a year. Great if you wanna get more into swing trades, looking at daily, even intra day, technicals of all our favorites stonks and coins.

Hell usually live stream the market open every day from 8-10 cst as well. Keeps me posted on things so I don’t have to do so much on my own.

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

BF004 wrote:
11 Nov 2021 18:31
BF004 wrote:
Captain_Ben wrote:

Finally bought in for 300 shares and immediately sold some covered calls, got $9 for selling $1 calls for 10/8. About 4.5% ROI every two weeks if I can keep this up or I'd be happy to sell them for $1. :munch:
So every time I sell a CC, I buy shares. Only like 4-9 shares every other week or so. But up to about 370 shares now.

Live earnings report right now. Must be good, up 22% ah right now. Feel like covered calls are the cheat code of the stock market. Hardest part is getting lots of 100 shares, but can legit get like 50% returns on the year. Worst case scenario the stock rips and you get to sell it for like 30-40% gain (my typical otm target for a ~2-3 out week CC).

Too weird, just yesterday I was looking at the options selection for that ticker because I thought about how you were selling CC's.

I love CC's- they're kind of like being a "landlord" of a stock and collecting rent.

I just wouldn't want to have to sell most of my shares at $1 if the thing rips to $40.00 like some people I listen to are insisting it will. I take that with a grain of salt though, of course. So I may have to join you haha.

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

BF004 wrote:
11 Nov 2021 18:31
BF004 wrote:
Captain_Ben wrote:

Double post
Last edited by Captain_Ben on 12 Nov 2021 18:28, edited 1 time in total.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Captain_Ben wrote:
12 Nov 2021 15:40
I just wouldn't want to have to sell most of my shares at $1 if the thing rips to $40.00 like some people I listen to are insisting it will. I take that with a grain of salt though, of course. So I may have to join you haha.
Eh. I paid about $205 for 300 shares. No conviction in the company, just never researched. If I have to sell that for $300 and still have another $70 in shares, I will not shed a tear; just buy 100’s of shares of something else and start selling more calls.

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

BF004 wrote:
12 Nov 2021 17:08
Captain_Ben wrote:
Eh. I paid about $205 for 300 shares. No conviction in the company, just never researched. If I have to sell that for $300 and still have another $70 in shares, I will not shed a tear; just buy 100’s of shares of something else and start selling more calls.
Some quick hits from the recent report.
THIRD QUARTER 2021 OPERATIONAL AND INVESTMENT HIGHLIGHTS

-- Net earnings of $11.3 million for the third quarter of 2021 compared to $71.4 million loss in the third quarter of the prior year.

-- Adjusted EBITDA of $10.5 million for the third quarter of 2021, compared to an adjusted EBITDA loss of $4.4 million in the third quarter of 2020.

-- Net revenue from Cannabis segments of $14.4 million for the third quarter of 2021, an increase of 57% over the second quarter of 2021 and an increase of 12% over the third quarter of 2020.

-- Cannabis Cultivation and Production: Net revenue for the cultivation and production of cannabis was $8.2 million compared to $9.2 million in the previous quarter, a decline of 11%.

-- Cannabis Retail: Net revenue for cannabis retail was $6.1 million following the acquisition of Inner Spirit Holdings Inc. ("Inner Spirit") and the Spiritleaf retail network ("Spiritleaf") during the third quarter.

-- Gross margin from Cannabis segments was $1.8 million, including a loss of $1.9 million from cannabis cultivation and production compared to a loss of $19.5 million from that segment in the third quarter of 2020.

-- Investment and fee revenue of $3.3 million, realized gains on marketable securities of $6.0 million and Sundial's share of profit from equity accounted investees of $9.9 million for the third quarter of 2021 compared to Nil in the third quarter of the prior year, which preceded the start of these activities.

-- $1.1 billion of cash, marketable securities and long-term investments at September 30, 2021, and $1.2 billion at November 9, 2021, with $571 million of unrestricted cash and no outstanding debt.

-- Acquired Inner Spirit on July 20, 2021 and entered into an agreement to acquire Alcanna Inc. ("Alcanna'), Canada's largest private liquor retailer, operating 171 locations, on October 7, 2021, subsequent to the end of the third quarter.

"Our third quarter results reflect the initial impact of the business transformation led by Sundial's team over the last 10 months," said Zach George, Chief Executive Officer of Sundial. "We remain focused on sustainable profitability and continued improvement in all aspects of our operations. Despite the ongoing challenges facing industry participants, our financial condition has never been stronger. Sundial is uniquely positioned relative to its peers as we seek to delight consumers and become a trusted industry partner. Our balance sheet strength enables our team to avoid short term pressures while working to improve the quality of our decision making. We expect that the achievement of our objectives will result in an aggregate base business that generates free cash flow in 2022."

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

APB wrote:
28 Jan 2021 16:02
Pckfn23 wrote:
28 Jan 2021 15:08
Thoughts on legality of Short selling, since we are on the subject.
Based upon my admittedly basic understanding, I think shorting can be a good thing if used as intended. It's a balance tool investors can use against a company who is over-valuing their own stock in an effort to gain...whatever. It's basically calling the bluff of a company you think is trying to convince you they're worth more than what they are.

Where shorting becomes a bad thing is like in the case of Olive Garden. Starboard Value, a hedge fund investor, overtly and publicly made claims and criticisms to intentionally tank the stock they had shorted. It worked and the Darden Foods parent company was eventually forced to replace all their board members with Starboard Value representatives. A takeover, essentially. That's garbage.
I thought about something yesterday that caused me to remember this discussion.

In addition to what you stated, short selling offers the free market the opportunity to punish corporations when government doesn't follow through.

For example, if a pharmaceutical company is profiting off of a drug that is commonly known to harm patients to whom it is administered, and the government refrains from reprimanding the company, or even acts as a sales agent for the company by implementing laws, mandates, etc., then the public should have the opportunity to destroy that company through short selling.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Hypothetically, of course. No way that'd ever happen...

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BF004 wrote:
26 Oct 2021 19:50
Prog prog prog...
This has potential to be a very real short squeeze play. Fundamental fomo driving this price increase entirely, getting a lot of meme hype, already a dollar or two away from pushing gamma squeeze territory. This could be a big one. My only regret is not having more right now. :lol:

Can't tell anyone to get in, is the definition of chasing already, but I have no intentions of getting out and frankly considering holding a of stock very long term. Good company doing good things for the world. If all I have to do is wait 5 years for this stock to reach, $20, $80, $300, no qualms doing that and I'll have fun making money off options on the way up. NFA DYODD.

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

BF004 wrote:
12 Nov 2021 17:08
Captain_Ben wrote:
Looks like that gap filled, might pick up a few more before market close here.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Starting to see some downward price pressure on stocks. Oil is dropping too.

The market values of the ARK Fund and tech growth/small cap stocks have been seriously pressed down since February. These are the stocks I am watching now as there could be some deals to be had.

I like SOFI if it starts going below $15 again.
I like BEEM under $24
I like STEM under $17

These prices seem to kind of the these stocks' floors based on 2021 trading and I like all these companies long term.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.