Round 3 (94) - Josiah Deguara, TE Cincinnati

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
25 Apr 2020 10:02
YoHoChecko wrote:
25 Apr 2020 09:26
I agree with Waldo and Go Pack Go to an extent.

But I still think we pack team speed on offense and want to see that addressed
Do you say that primarily because Lazard and Funchess are likely ahead of MVS and EQSB in the pecking order?

Because I would call Adams, Jones, MVS, EQSB, and even somewhat Sternberger speedier guys. Or at least not slow guys.
Correct. We have "not slow guys." MVS should be team speed but I need to see it really play out and his ball tracking is weak. He's also not versatile. I would like a couple versatile guys with scare speed that MLF can insert and inject and move around. Look, the team is praising the versatility of Deguara and Dillon, and I agree. And I like that. But I think we need power versatile and speed versatile. I liked Gibson. I like Joe Reed (though not scary fast). I want a couple electric speed threats that can be littered in and play a role. I want to be able to win with speed or power depending on the matchup.

I like our draft's players. I really like this guy and think he complements the TEs we have in the building right now. I'm disappointed by what we haven't added, though.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

TheGreenMan wrote:
25 Apr 2020 09:41
YoHoChecko wrote:

Definitely want to see some speed, but the utilization of Deguara is really starting to grow on me. Looks like someone that doesn't do anything perfectly, but can pretty much do whatever is asked of him.
Deguara is a GREAT fit for this offense. We should all be very happy to have him on our team, if we can forget about the draft context going on right now. Think about who he is, not who he isn't.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

TheGreenMan wrote:
25 Apr 2020 09:41
YoHoChecko wrote:

Definitely want to see some speed, but the utilization of Deguara is really starting to grow on me. Looks like someone that doesn't do anything perfectly, but can pretty much do whatever is asked of him.
Maybe he will be the second coming of Tom Crabtree. ;)

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Honestly, think of his usage as a blend of what Delanie Walker did and what Kyle Juszczyk does. I'm not saying he'll be as good as Walker or the lead blocker of Juszczyk. He's a rookie. He's unknown. He'll take a little time. But his USAGE is in that lane.

lifelong_packfan
Reactions:

Post by lifelong_packfan »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
25 Apr 2020 07:57
Pugger wrote:
24 Apr 2020 23:58
JohnnyUtah wrote:
24 Apr 2020 23:44

I like this take on things a lot. With Williams and Jones at the end of their contracts I think it makes a ton of sense for the to run them into the ground this year while sprinkling in Dillon to get him some reps. With a strong commitment to the running game, and with the pressure of an actually talented QB on the bench, I think Rodgers will be forced to actually play within our offensive scheme and get the ball out on time, and quit trying to scramble around playing hero-ball while ignoring the underneath throws this year.
Yes, emphasising the running game more along with shorter passes instead of going for the home run on every down might be a better scheme for a QB like Rodgers in the twilight of his career.

And this new offensive approach gives the Packers defense time to rest. Then it comes down to not turning the ball over and kicking the FG if needed. The Seattle-Packers playoff game was a great example I think. The game came down to a late fourth quarter possession game. And key first downs were made to keep the drives going. Came down to clutch shorter distance first down passes (Graham and Adams), not bombs to Richard Rodgers or Randall Cobb. Keeping the opponents offense off the field is the first nut to consistently crack. Forget the shoot out, greatest shown on turf approach. Packers fans love to see the running game control the contest. Goes back to the days of the Packers Sweep. Then Brockington, Middleton, Levens, Green, even Ryan Grant. Now Aaron Jones.
These comments suggest that the front office actually had a strategy to emphasize the.run and short passing game, but I think it was simply a matter of them sticking to their draft board and taking the best available player each time. If one of the WRs or ILBs had been available that were rated higher on their board, I think they would have taken one.

Oldschool
Reactions:

Post by Oldschool »

The rap on The Packers has been the lack of our physicality. Looks like that may be changing. If we can keep Jones our running game could be seriously potent with addition of Dillon. EQSB and MVS were drafted for their quickness so I guess the management is betting that our investment in them pays off. It took Adams a couple years to develop so maybe......

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

lifelong_packfan wrote:
25 Apr 2020 11:12
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
Pugger wrote:
24 Apr 2020 23:58

Yes, emphasising the running game more along with shorter passes instead of going for the home run on every down might be a better scheme for a QB like Rodgers in the twilight of his career.

And this new offensive approach gives the Packers defense time to rest. Then it comes down to not turning the ball over and kicking the FG if needed. The Seattle-Packers playoff game was a great example I think. The game came down to a late fourth quarter possession game. And key first downs were made to keep the drives going. Came down to clutch shorter distance first down passes (Graham and Adams), not bombs to Richard Rodgers or Randall Cobb. Keeping the opponents offense off the field is the first nut to consistently crack. Forget the shoot out, greatest shown on turf approach. Packers fans love to see the running game control the contest. Goes back to the days of the Packers Sweep. Then Brockington, Middleton, Levens, Green, even Ryan Grant. Now Aaron Jones.
These comments suggest that the front office actually had a strategy to emphasize the.run and short passing game, but I think it was simply a matter of them sticking to their draft board and taking the best available player each time. If one of the WRs or ILBs had been available that were rated higher on their board, I think they would have taken one.
Man, I don’t know. Not saying you are wrong, but that pick of the TE/FB looked to me like they were getting the type of player they wanted, for the style they want to implement. I mean he wasn’t even in most rankings until sometime after about 160. Not commenting on whether we should or shouldn’t have picked him, just saying that suggests to me they were drafting to get to a new style, and not just taking the best available.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
25 Apr 2020 11:16
Man, I don’t know. Not saying you are wrong, but that pick of the TE/FB looked to me like they were getting the type of player they wanted, for the style they want to implement. I mean he wasn’t even in most rankings until sometime after about 160. Not commenting on whether we should or shouldn’t have picked him, just saying that suggests to me they were drafting to get to a new style, and not just taking the best available.
Why would the best player available not be a guy who fits exactly what they want to do? Scheme fit is part of grading, obviously.

But I agree that if WR or ILB fell differently we might have ended up with one of them. Gutey even SAID that the early-to-mid 20s in the first round fell a way that made them consider moving back; that's when Reagor, Jefferson, and Ayiuk went. I think those three each would have been considered at 30 had they been there.

But yeah, the Packers may have had a higher grade on Deguara than a lot of other teams because he's a great scheme fit. But there are a lot of guys running similar schemes around the league, and he'd be a great scheme fit for them, too. They trusted their board.

We certainly can't say the team is drafting for need over BPA on their board right now. :lol:

lifelong_packfan
Reactions:

Drj820 wrote:
lifelong_packfan wrote:
RingoCStarrQB wrote:

Good point. However, what leads you to believe that the front office has actually changed the style of game the want to use? Also, having a highly paid quarterback to run a run oriented offense doesn't sound like.maximizing Rogers value, unless they don't think he can be his talents have permanently declined.

lifelong_packfan
Reactions:

lifelong_packfan wrote:
25 Apr 2020 11:26
Drj820 wrote:
lifelong_packfan wrote:

Good point. However, what leads you to believe that the front office has actually changed the style of game the want to use? Also, having a highly paid quarterback to run a run oriented offense doesn't sound like.maximizing Rogers value, unless they don't think he can be his talents have permanently declined.
Meant to say "...unless they think his talents have permanently declined."

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

lifelong_packfan wrote:
25 Apr 2020 11:30
lifelong_packfan wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

Meant to say "...unless they think his talents have permanently declined."
I mean just to me every move has screamed that they think rodgers isnt what he used to be, and instead of loading him up with a defense in the draft and highly ranked WRs to get open and throw to...it seems they have chosen to almost take the ball out of the highly paid QBs hands.

Drafting Love screams the end is a few seasons away
Drafting the RB over a WR and the TE higher than he was ranked screams to me they want to take the ball out of his hands and run more.

Maybe they regret giving Rodgers all that money and they are acting out of honesty of a new reality, or maybe they think this is the best path to winning now. Im not sure, but i take the draft moves to signal a change in style/philosophy. But that is just my opinion.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lifelong_packfan wrote:
Drj820 wrote:
lifelong_packfan wrote:

well not drafting any high floor receivers in 7 years, actually even avoiding to since Guty took charge the year before Thompsons demotion sorta speaks to it wouldn't you say? that and MLF has even said he intends to do more running, this draft obviously shows this.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Jimmy G and Aaron Rodgers make similar money.

Why is it okay for the 9ers to go about offense the way they do and us not go that way?

Yes we are paying Rodgers a lot of money. But I don't see the harm in taking the ball out of his hands more and instead making him more effective when the ball is in his hands.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

go pak go wrote:
25 Apr 2020 12:02

Why is it okay for the 9ers to go about offense the way they do and us not go that way?

Yes we are paying Rodgers a lot of money. But I don't see the harm in taking the ball out of his hands more and instead making him more effective when the ball is in his hands.
I think we pretty much started doing that last year, by running the football more. Something McCarthy would only talk about and would never follow through.

This year's draft shows we're still going that route. I expect us to be a very run oriented offense.
RIP JustJeff

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

TheGreenMan wrote:
25 Apr 2020 12:18
go pak go wrote:

I think we pretty much started doing that last year, by running the football more. Something McCarthy would only talk about and would never follow through.

This year's draft shows we're still going that route. I expect us to be a very run oriented offense.
We weren't even close to where we needed to be from a running standpoint last year. We need to run it way more. We need to utilize the H back and TE way more. We need to utilize the middle of the field way more.

Our offense was complete garbage on the road after the Chiefs game last year. The only positive game on the road after the Chiefs was at NYG and that was honestly because of three big plays. That is too McCarthyesque. That style doesn't work for us anymore. We all know that.

Now there are two camps or thoughts on why this isn't working. The most popular camp is blaming everyone else. It's the Oline and WRs and playcaller. The other camp sees father time never loses and it is time to change how we play offense.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

go pak go wrote:
25 Apr 2020 12:23
TheGreenMan wrote:
go pak go wrote:

We weren't even close to where we needed to be from a running standpoint last year. We need to run it way more. We need to utilize the H back and TE way more. We need to utilize the middle of the field way more.

Our offense was complete garbage on the road after the Chiefs game last year. The only positive game on the road after the Chiefs was at NYG and that was honestly because of three big plays. That is too McCarthyesque. That style doesn't work for us anymore. We all know that.

Now there are two camps or thoughts on why this isn't working. The most popular camp is blaming everyone else. It's the Oline and WRs and playcaller. The other camp sees father time never loses and it is time to change how we play offense.
We doubled Aaron Jones attempts last year, at 236. That's a big jump. Williams also touched the ball 100+. If you're looking to run Aaron Jones into the ground like Dallas does with Zeke...

I agree with utilizing TE/FB more, but I don't think giving more touches to Jones and Williams is going to solve that. Honestly though, our TE's are getting the snap counts, and Lewis finally was actually involved in Matt's offense, unlike with McCarthy. I really just want to see more two TE sets.

When it comes to blame for the offense, I'm not even sure anymore at this point. One game I think Aaron looks terrible, the next game WRs are separating and catching everything. Too much inconsistency for a week by week basis. Never seen an offense run so hot and cold. Honestly, this was exactly what McCarthy's was for a long time too.
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

go pak go wrote:
TheGreenMan wrote:
go pak go wrote:

Using the TE and H Back way more is key.

I mean they tried, but Jimmy Graham was so bad, Tonyan (later Sternberg) were so raw, Lewis can't outrun a NT, and the FB couldn't really catch and wasn't an H Back.

I see a lot of downplaying the pass catching potential of Degura. This dude was ultra productive in a program that has produced a few NFL TE's as of late. The 6'2" 250 lb H back mold CAN be extremely productive in the passing game (Aaron Hernandez/Delanie Walker). His vertical speed and quickness is good match for that mold. Attacking zone coverage is a strength of his and he's noted as a low drop pass catcher.

This dude hits and hes an >50 rec, 500 yd receiver. Don't think for a minute that this guy is primarily a blocker that'll get you 20 catches and 200 yd, his potential is way higher than that.

lifelong_packfan
Reactions:

Yoop wrote:
25 Apr 2020 11:49
lifelong_packfan wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

well not drafting any high floor receivers in 7 years, actually even avoiding to since Guty took charge the year before Thompsons demotion sorta speaks to it wouldn't you say? that and MLF has even said he intends to do more running, this draft obviously shows this.
Sounds logical. Taking Love in the first round certainly supports your point. It strongly suggests the they plan to move on from Rogers after a couple of years. The only thing that could forestall this is if Rogers starts playing much better, but that's unlikely given they didn't draft any WRs. It almost seems like they are deliberately doing things to make this happen. I suspect Rogers is getting this same message,

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
TheGreenMan wrote:
go pak go wrote:

BS, picking up just one other receiver with the talent level to demand over the top support the year we took the 3 STo....... would have made a huge difference minus revamping everything, if KC, N.O. SD, etc simply add a receiver we could have to.