Smash or Pass: David Bakhtiari

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Decisions time

Don’t want him back at all.
40%
If he takes a reduced salary, we should bring him back.
56%
Extend him to spread out the $$.
4%
We are going for a SB, we need him at LT, keep him.
No votes

Total votes: 25

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Yoop wrote:
28 Feb 2024 11:51
people sure are down on Myers, reality is he is not so bad that we even need to replace him

C Josh Myers
2023 cap: $1,521,857. Position rank: 35th among centers, according to OverTheCap.com.

Through three years, it’s clear that the Packers botched the second-round decision to draft Myers over Chiefs stud Creed Humphrey. Myers is fine. He’s sharp mentally and plays with the desired physicality in the run game. He’s just not that consistent force you’d want from a premium draft pick.

Of 32 centers with 50 percent playing time, Myers ranked 18th in PFF’s pass-blocking efficiency with five sacks and 28 total pressures. With a similar snap count in 2022, he gave up three sacks and 13 total pressures. As a run blocker, he improved from 19 blown blocks to 13 (3.2 percent) and six stuffs to two (0.5 percent), according to SIS. The stuff rate was seventh-best among centers and just behind everyone’s favorite center, Jason Kelce. Three of his six penalties were for holding.

By draft pedigree, Myers has been a disappointment. For the price, however, Myers is a bargain.

Grade: B.
I'm willing to admit/accept that Myers is fine now. But he's still a year away from free agency and not good enough that I'd want to spend money to re-sign him unless he takes another big step forward, so having a Day Two interior OL who can definitely play C and also play OG seems like the best value in order to create a succession plan at C and fill a possible need at OG as well.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Just because Myers and creed are always compared...it was weird to see creed forget how to snap the ball in shotgun the entire super bowl
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

lake shark
Reactions:

Post by lake shark »

Unless Bahk renegotiates to a lower salary, incentive laden contract based on games played then he needs to be released.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

lake shark wrote:
01 Mar 2024 15:15
he needs to be released.
Yes

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

wallyuwl wrote:
01 Mar 2024 19:58
lake shark wrote:
he needs to be released.
Yes
FACT #1: Bakh had surgery in during the last season and he currently CANNOT pass a physical.

OPINION: Bakh will not be healthy enough to pass a physical until after training camp.

FACT #2: An injured veteran CANNOT be released without the injured player's consent unless the team wants to pay an injury settlement which means that the Packers must pay Bakh the pro-rated bonus of $20 million plus the injury settlement.

Opinion: There is some question as to whether all of the injury settlement counts against the cap, but in any case more than $20 million winds up in Bakh's bank account. It is possible that the Packers are on the hook for the full $40 mil if the Packers were negligent about his treatment for the injuries. Since the Packers fired the head of their training staff, any good lawyer could probably get him to testify on Bakh's behalf.

Conclusion: This is a legal problem for the Packers regarding details in his contract. It is not primarily a football decision and hopefully it can be settled with some sort of compromise where the Packers don't incur the full $40 mil in cap hit. It is not as simple as just cutting Bakh and paying him the $20 mil pro-rated bonus which they owe him no matter what. If it were as simple as cutting him, they would already have done so.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

TheSkeptic wrote:
02 Mar 2024 04:53
wallyuwl wrote:
01 Mar 2024 19:58
lake shark wrote:
he needs to be released.
Yes
FACT #1: Bakh had surgery in during the last season and he currently CANNOT pass a physical.

OPINION: Bakh will not be healthy enough to pass a physical until after training camp.

FACT #2: An injured veteran CANNOT be released without the injured player's consent unless the team wants to pay an injury settlement which means that the Packers must pay Bakh the pro-rated bonus of $20 million plus the injury settlement.

Opinion: There is some question as to whether all of the injury settlement counts against the cap, but in any case more than $20 million winds up in Bakh's bank account. It is possible that the Packers are on the hook for the full $40 mil if the Packers were negligent about his treatment for the injuries. Since the Packers fired the head of their training staff, any good lawyer could probably get him to testify on Bakh's behalf.

Conclusion: This is a legal problem for the Packers regarding details in his contract. It is not primarily a football decision and hopefully it can be settled with some sort of compromise where the Packers don't incur the full $40 mil in cap hit. It is not as simple as just cutting Bakh and paying him the $20 mil pro-rated bonus which they owe him no matter what. If it were as simple as cutting him, they would already have done so.
The bonus was already paid to Bak, it is just the cap hit that remains. The SC coach being fired is irrelevant. The issues are with the surgery(ies) and rehab. IIRC it was Bak who chose the surgeon (eg, the team doc Pat McKenzie didn't do it). Before every surgery the patient signs consent that states results are not guaranteed. The Packers surely have record of every PT session.

The thing you are correct on is there may need to be injury settlement, based on this year's salary. Usually the teams have all the leverage with those.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

why rehash this Bakhtiari situation, likely gone come the 7th, possible arbitration concerning injury settlement, news at 11, so tired of reading about David Bakhtiari, we have the combine going on and UFA getting ready to start, and here we are talking about a tackle thats disappointed everyone here for 3 seasons :thwap:

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
02 Mar 2024 11:53
why rehash this Bakhtiari situation, likely gone come the 7th, possible arbitration concerning injury settlement, news at 11, so tired of reading about David Bakhtiari, we have the combine going on and UFA getting ready to start, and here we are talking about a tackle thats disappointed everyone here for 3 seasons :thwap:
Interesting hearing this from you when you have lectured me (and others) numerous times when critical of your countless pet topic rehash conversations. :dunno: :think:

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Yoop wrote:
What is the title of this thread? "Smash or Pass: David Bakhtiari"

If you are so tired of reading about David Bakhtiari, don't open the thread. :thwap:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
02 Mar 2024 16:06
Yoop wrote:
Interesting hearing this from you when you have lectured me (and others) numerous times when critical of your countless pet topic rehash conversations. :dunno: :think:
He was a perfect LT till the injury, since then he's played 8 games out of a possible 50, am I missing something here? when ya look at how we did with Walker and Toms last season, coupled with a bumper crop of OL in this coming draft, why would the team even consider paying Bakhtiari with the risk he could be all done after even one game this coming season.

GM's lose there job after making decisions with those out comes, and I don't consider Brian Gutekunst to be a big gambler.
we'll see what tune you sing when he takes the injury settlement to arbitration for more then we want to give.

We paid him very well, and obviously I don't blame him for the injury, but enough is enough, he blamed the physician for not doing a better job, and now went outside to get another, they call it the PRACTICE of medicine for a reason, each case has a individual outcome, because no two surgeries are exactly alike.

acceptance is the key here, at some point David Bakhtiari has to accept that his playing career is over, and I think Gutekunst and the Packers have known it for a while now

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
03 Mar 2024 08:14
APB wrote:
Yoop wrote:
He was a perfect LT till the injury, since then he's played 8 games out of a possible 50, am I missing something here? when ya look at how we did with Walker and Toms last season, coupled with a bumper crop of OL in this coming draft, why would the team even consider paying Bakhtiari with the risk he could be all done after even one game this coming season.

GM's lose there job after making decisions with those out comes, and I don't consider Brian Gutekunst to be a big gambler.
we'll see what tune you sing when he takes the injury settlement to arbitration for more then we want to give.

We paid him very well, and obviously I don't blame him for the injury, but enough is enough, he blamed the physician for not doing a better job, and now went outside to get another, they call it the PRACTICE of medicine for a reason, each case has a individual outcome, because no two surgeries are exactly alike.

acceptance is the key here, at some point David Bakhtiari has to accept that his playing career is over, and I think Gutekunst and the Packers have known it for a while now
That’s a lot of words for somebody tired of talking about it…

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
03 Mar 2024 09:02
Yoop wrote:
APB wrote:

That’s a lot of words for somebody tired of talking about it…
I felt I owed it to Bakhtiari even though my comments had almost nothing to do with him as a person, just trying to be realistic :idn:

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Yoop wrote:
at some point David Bakhtiari has to accept that his playing career is over,
Come on Yoop- you know no such thing.

I am guessing Bakh will play and play quite well in 2024 for a contender who plays on grass.
Like KC - they could use an elite LT and are a team that's shown a willingness to take high risk/high reward chances

We're about 3 weeks away from David visiting teams and meeting with MDs per the recent reports.
I really hope it works out for him and his family :aok:

IT. IS. TIME

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

BSA wrote:
27 Jun 2024 11:46
Yoop wrote:
at some point David Bakhtiari has to accept that his playing career is over,
Come on Yoop- you know no such thing.

I am guessing Bakh will play and play quite well in 2024 for a contender who plays on grass.
Like KC - they could use an elite LT and are a team that's shown a willingness to take high risk/high reward chances

We're about 3 weeks away from David visiting teams and meeting with MDs per the recent reports.
I really hope it works out for him and his family :aok:

flip a coin, who knows, even David doesn't know if that knee will hold up, someone might give him a shot for a reduced rate, with us he was due 20+ million, we couldn't take that chance.

to bad really, he was on his way to the HOF prior to the injury :)