Smash or Pass: David Bakhtiari

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Decisions time

Don’t want him back at all.
40%
If he takes a reduced salary, we should bring him back.
56%
Extend him to spread out the $$.
4%
We are going for a SB, we need him at LT, keep him.
No votes

Total votes: 25

BF004
Reactions:

Smash or Pass: David Bakhtiari

Post by BF004 »

Figured this could just use its own thread.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I would have to get him at such an unrealistically cheap deal to make up for the risk involved with keeping him. Obviously a great player when healthy but we are going on year three of him dealing with the same injury.

I know he said the doctors found and corrected the issue but that was assumed after the first surgery and he said this after the second one.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Time for him to join his idol in NY, where they can both be riding golf carts together by week 6 while on injured reserve.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I went with Option 2 because I am not 100% opposed, even though I think it is very unlikely that Dave would rework his contract to the extent that I would be okay with bringing him back.

But while I have disliked some of his antics, but my problems with him are not so severe that I just want him off the team no matter what. So Option 2 is a bit more accurate of my mindset, even though it is probably unlikely.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Whole thing is just so unfortunate.

Had this injury not happened, we have at least 1, if not 2 Lombardi trophies and this dude is going to the Hall of Fame. Just sucks, sucks, sucks.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Madcity_matt
Reactions:

Post by Madcity_matt »

Labrev wrote:
27 Feb 2024 09:04
I went with Option 2 because I am not 100% opposed, even though I think it is very unlikely that Dave would rework his contract to the extent that I would be okay with bringing him back.

But while I have disliked some of his antics, but my problems with him are not so severe that I just want him off the team no matter what. So Option 2 is a bit more accurate of my mindset, even though it is probably unlikely.
I feel the same. I don't think there is a contract that we could offer that I would like and Bak would take.

I'd be thinking league minimum with substantial bonuses linked to how many games he is able to play. Don't think Bak would go for that.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
27 Feb 2024 09:10

Had this injury not happened, we have at least 1, if not 2 Lombardi trophies and this dude is going to the Hall of Fame. Just sucks, sucks, sucks.
It was not Dave Bakhtiari's injury that lost us trips to SB's, and Bakhtiari would need several more 1st team all pro's to make the HOF, he only has 2, yes 3, 2nd team all pro's count, but it's still just a 2nd, yes it sucks to lose a special talent like him, but we can't continue to gamble with such a expensive contract.

I went with pick 2, If he'll take a substantial pay cut he's worth the risk.

GJPackerBacker
Reactions:

Post by GJPackerBacker »

I also went with #2.

In my mind it the balance between his ability to contribute, his salary, and taking developmental time from Rasheed Walker.
GO PACK GO!!!

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Yoop wrote:
27 Feb 2024 10:00
go pak go wrote:
27 Feb 2024 09:10

It was not Dave Bakhtiari's injury that lost us trips to SB's, and Bakhtiari would need several more 1st team all pro's to make the HOF, he only has 2, yes 3, 2nd team all pro's count, but it's still just a 2nd, yes it sucks to lose a special talent like him, but we can't continue to gamble with such a expensive contract.

I went with pick 2, If he'll take a substantial pay cut he's worth the risk.
If we have Bakhtiari we definitely beat the Buccs and go to the SB. I think we beat the 49ers the following year too but that one I’m less sure of.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Madcity_matt wrote:
27 Feb 2024 09:21
Labrev wrote:
27 Feb 2024 09:04

I feel the same. I don't think there is a contract that we could offer that I would like and Bak would take.

I'd be thinking league minimum with substantial bonuses linked to how many games he is able to play. Don't think Bak would go for that.
I wonder how many other teams would pay top dollar for a guy who might not even pass a physical? And if he does chances are he won't be the player he once was. His situation is really a shame. Before that injury he was considered one of the best pass protecting LTs in all football. :(

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Not knowing what we don't know health-wise, I went with option #2 (pay cut) as my choice but would be happy with option #3 (extension) if the news broke tomorrow. That would tell me all I need to know about how the Packers, their medical staff, and Bakhtiari feel about his health prognosis.

Aside from [mention]Drj820[/mention]'s obvious disdain for Bakhtiari, it'd be nice to know who the other votes were for dumping him outright and the reasons for doing so.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

The plain fact is that it does not matter what we or the packers want. Bakhtiari has the Packers by the short hairs and the only question is how hard he wants to squeeze.

If the Packers cut him he can file an injury grievance and the Packers have to pay him in full. That is his unpaid signing bonuses of $20 mil approx plus his salary for this coming year, another $20 mil.

There are several Scenarios:

#1, the Packers pay Bakh the unpaid 20 mil in signing bonuses and cut him.
#1 a. Bakh takes the 20 mil and retires and goes out to play golf.
#1 b. Bakh goes to another team that is not friendly to the Packers, for example the Bears and takes a physical and fails it. Bakh files the grievance and the Packers have to pay him the full $40 mil while we wait for the grievance to be settled in 6 months or so.
#1 c. Bakh cannot find another team to fail his physical. Bakh takes the $20 mil and goes out to play golf.

#2. The Packers put Bakh on IR.
#2 a. The Packers rework the contract moving some of the $20 mil salary into the 2025 season. Presumably this includes incentives based upon snaps so that Bakh can make more than the $40 mil over 2 years.
#2 b. The Packers simply pay the man, eat the cap hit and move on in the 2025 season. If Bakh wants a chance at the HOF or wants a SB ring then he finds a way to start.

#3. Same as #2 except Bakh passes the Packers physical and starts the season on the 53.

Presumably the Packers have a better idea of whether Bakh can pass a physical and play than we do. But the situation is similar to a game of 5 card draw poker where Bakh has a full house Aces over Kings and the Packers have a pair of 4's. In theory the Packers can win the hand but no one in their right mind holding what the Packers have adds to the kitty with another bet to draw 3 cards and hope for two more 4's.

The best bet is to keep Bakh and hope he can contribute.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

APB wrote:
27 Feb 2024 11:47
Aside from @Drj820's obvious disdain for Bakhtiari, it'd be nice to know who the other votes were for dumping him outright and the reasons for doing so.
I voted to dump him. We're way beyond the point of just passing a physical; we need proof somehow that he can go multiple weeks without a relapse. If he wants to come back on a veteran minimum deal, then fine, but I highly doubt he would do that.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
27 Feb 2024 12:30
APB wrote:
Aside from @Drj820's obvious disdain for Bakhtiari, it'd be nice to know who the other votes were for dumping him outright and the reasons for doing so.
I voted to dump him. We're way beyond the point of just passing a physical; we need proof somehow that he can go multiple weeks without a relapse. If he wants to come back on a veteran minimum deal, then fine, but I highly doubt he would do that.
I would prefer to dump him but I don't think it is possible without eating the entire $40 mil which will make FA very very difficult.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:
27 Feb 2024 12:17
The plain fact is that it does not matter what we or the packers want. Bakhtiari has the Packers by the short hairs and the only question is how hard he wants to squeeze.

If the Packers cut him he can file an injury grievance and the Packers have to pay him in full. That is his unpaid signing bonuses of $20 mil approx plus his salary for this coming year, another $20 mil.

There are several Scenarios:

#1, the Packers pay Bakh the unpaid 20 mil in signing bonuses and cut him.
#1 a. Bakh takes the 20 mil and retires and goes out to play golf.
#1 b. Bakh goes to another team that is not friendly to the Packers, for example the Bears and takes a physical and fails it. Bakh files the grievance and the Packers have to pay him the full $40 mil while we wait for the grievance to be settled in 6 months or so.
#1 c. Bakh cannot find another team to fail his physical. Bakh takes the $20 mil and goes out to play golf.

#2. The Packers put Bakh on IR.
#2 a. The Packers rework the contract moving some of the $20 mil salary into the 2025 season. Presumably this includes incentives based upon snaps so that Bakh can make more than the $40 mil over 2 years.
#2 b. The Packers simply pay the man, eat the cap hit and move on in the 2025 season. If Bakh wants a chance at the HOF or wants a SB ring then he finds a way to start.

#3. Same as #2 except Bakh passes the Packers physical and starts the season on the 53.

Presumably the Packers have a better idea of whether Bakh can pass a physical and play than we do. But the situation is similar to a game of 5 card draw poker where Bakh has a full house Aces over Kings and the Packers have a pair of 4's. In theory the Packers can win the hand but no one in their right mind holding what the Packers have adds to the kitty with another bet to draw 3 cards and hope for two more 4's.

The best bet is to keep Bakh and hope he can contribute.
there is no way the Packers are just going to hand Bakhtiari another 20 mi. he's gone unless he passes a physical and takes a drastic cut in pay, in fact I think they'll cut him either way, the guy, do to injury has milked this club for over 40 mil. already with almost zero production, this situation is worse then the Rodgers situation, Gute goes PC with the media because everyone likes Bakhtiari, in reality he can't wait till this thing is over with, and, neither can most fans

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

saw hes not even expected to be medically cleared until after camp. lol

Anybody that thinks magic is gonna happen on that knee at this point and he is going to perform for a full season without the weekly "who is gonna be at LT" discussion is delusional.

I would get rid of him just so we know who is playing in the spot from week to week barring a known new injury
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Drj820 wrote:
27 Feb 2024 12:55

Anybody that thinks magic is gonna happen on that knee at this point and he is going to perform for a full season without the weekly "who is gonna be at LT" discussion is delusional.

I would get rid of him just so we know who is playing in the spot from week to week barring a known new injury
Well if he is not medically cleared until after camp, then he can't be cut until after camp. Otherwise he files a grievance and collects his full salary of 20 mil plus his pro-rated bonus of another 20 mil.

And if he is NEVER medically cleared, he can NEVER be cut without paying him the full $40 mil.

Maybe I am wrong, but that is what I read.

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

I picked 1 but was between 1 and two...but then I read the espn.com article and it said...
Bakhtiari, who this fall underwent the fourth and fifth surgeries in his left knee since he tore his ACL on Dec. 31, 2020, is not expected to be cleared until training camp at the earliest.
I mean...come on! What was there? Oh, just another thing they could have cleaned up.
He revealed last fall that his latest issue is a lateral femoral condyle cartilage tear he sustained during the initial injury. The reason it wasn't repaired during his first ACL surgery, he said, was because there was a chance it wouldn't be problematic going forward.
I mean...really???
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

APB wrote:
Not knowing what we don't know health-wise, I went with option #2 (pay cut) as my choice but would be happy with option #3 (extension) if the news broke tomorrow. That would tell me all I need to know about how the Packers, their medical staff, and Bakhtiari feel about his health prognosis.

I said just don't want him back.

Long list of reasons
- Can't trust the knee
- Rasheed Walker earned that spot
- Don't want to be doing rotations or will he won't he every week messing with chemistry
- Money savings
- I think we just witnessed the effect it had having the entire offense all kind of gel together, similar in development, age, etc, vs prior year, lets roll with the young ducks
- Floor for even a paycut I'm guessing would be like $10M, given where Walker is, would just much rather use that money elsewhere
- Draft is a position we have had continual success drafting and developing through many years and front offices, and we have a lot of picks, just flood that OL with picks this year.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:
27 Feb 2024 13:33
Drj820 wrote:
27 Feb 2024 12:55

Well if he is not medically cleared until after camp, then he can't be cut until after camp. Otherwise he files a grievance and collects his full salary of 20 mil plus his pro-rated bonus of another 20 mil.

And if he is NEVER medically cleared, he can NEVER be cut without paying him the full $40 mil.

Maybe I am wrong, but that is what I read.
I read nothing will happen till after june 1st, when we'll either kepp him, restructure him, trade him, or cut him, so if he doesn't pass a physical, the trade is most likely off the table, restructuring to lower the cap hit should we keep him if he still can't pass a physical seems to be very high risk, so cutting him with a injury settlement seems most likely. :idn: