Cheese Curds - News Around the League 2024

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

BF004 wrote:
15 Aug 2024 15:06
Not a bad signing
Took Simmons awhile to accept his current value. Broncos shopped him and his $16M contract, no takers. And they were willing to eat some of it
Simmons hits FA- still asking for too much, no takers. Now- with some added urgency, he found a team willing to pay him just under half at $7.5M
That's what Savage got in J-Ville
IT. IS. TIME

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I know that Twitter isn't real life, but man, Packers twitter seems obsessed with tearing down Caleb Williams in a really weaksauce insecure way.

I have no idea what he will become or not, but these reactions looking a lot like everyone burying us about Love for a year or two. It's giving scared and I hate to see it.

I don't care if Williams turns out great or not; I'm glad I'm a Packers fan and the Bears still suck. We don't beat them because they're bad. We beat them because we're better.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
17 Aug 2024 21:37
I know that Twitter isn't real life, but man, Packers twitter seems obsessed with tearing down Caleb Williams in a really weaksauce insecure way.

I have no idea what he will become or not, but these reactions looking a lot like everyone burying us about Love for a year or two. It's giving scared and I hate to see it.

I don't care if Williams turns out great or not; I'm glad I'm a Packers fan and the Bears still suck. We don't beat them because they're bad. We beat them because we're better.
It's both sides. Bears fans and NFL in general going gaga over preseason highlights and Packers fans comparing everything to Fields. I'm sure Chicago will screw this one up too, but we gotta let it play out.

Read More. Post Less.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Bears basically got to draft a young Aaron Rodgers and L-Fitz in the same class thanks to Carolina being run by clueless morons. They probably aren't contenders this year but the long-term prospective with those two is a nightmare.

There is a point to which some players are so damn talented that a team "screwing them up" while always technically possible becomes increasingly unlikely. Like even the Bills couldn't screw up Josh Allen. Chicago can't develop QBs to save their lives, but they don't need to "develop" Williams much at all, he gives them a good starter on Day 1 and for once their O supporting cast looks pretty good on paper as well.

The one thing that gives me hope is that Williams is also like Aaron Rodgers in the bad way: too arrogant. It's probably not gonna make him bust but it could keep him from grinding hard enough to ever help Chicago get any farther than continual playoff disappointment, the way Rodgers has to grind early in his career to get out of Favre's shadow (and then promptly coast on that one SB win).

He also does that Backyard Football crap that Rodgers used to do a lot that was great at creating a highlight reel but would ultimately be his undoing just about every year. I hope he keeps doing it and never learns to just throw the damn football.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

I'm not ready to crown a rookie QB and wr duo anything based on 2 ok preseason games. The throw and catch to Rome was awesome but under 50% completion needs work

He flashes don't get me wrong but I'll wait until nov before making any long term predictions

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

My friend who pretty much always correctly predicts the QBs says that Williams will be great and that he is one of the best prospects to come out of college in a while.

Every year he is usually correct about the QB class (and a lot of positions actually), but notably his biggest miss (only miss?) was saying that Trubisky had elite talent and would be good. So I am hoping that Chicago will screw up a sure thing once again.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Funny if you’ve been on twitter for more than 3 seconds in the last 24 hours

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Just picked up Lindys today. Lions are favored to win the North. Tampa in the South. Eagles in the East. 49ers in the West.

I really like the Packers being the underdog to start the season.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
18 Aug 2024 16:48
Just picked up Lindys today. Lions are favored to win the North. Tampa in the South. Eagles in the East. 49ers in the West.

I think the Lions will be very good. Like incredibly good. But i don’t see how we aren’t better. This is the first Packers team I remember since the 90s that has no weaknesses. For years under TT and Gutenbumst my complaint was they would come out with league wide worst position groups whether that was S or ILB or RB or TE or WR2.

We finally have a GM willing to not be a moron.

When I look at the Lions where they are stacked and they inverted in their weakness I think there’s a lot more than just CB that was wrong with their pass defense.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

lupedafiasco wrote:
18 Aug 2024 17:54
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
18 Aug 2024 16:48

I think the Lions will be very good. Like incredibly good. But i don’t see how we aren’t better. This is the first Packers team I remember since the 90s that has no weaknesses. For years under TT and Gutenbumst my complaint was they would come out with league wide worst position groups whether that was S or ILB or RB or TE or WR2.

When I look at the Lions where they are stacked and they inverted in their weakness I think there’s a lot more than just CB that was wrong with their pass defense.
I need to read what Lindys says about the Lions in greater depth.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Just read Lindys in greater depth. To shore up their 27th ranked defense the Lions traded for Carleton Davis and signed Amik Robertson. Then Detroit used their top 2 draft picks on cornerbacks Terrion Arnold and Ennis Rakestraw Jr.

:woohoo:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

NCF wrote:
18 Aug 2024 19:40
Carlson is better.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

So, Amazon is gonna do a biopic movie on John Madden. Great idea.

The actor they chose to play Madden? Nicolas Cage. Not so great idea, at least in my mind.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nicolas-cage-n ... 02111.html

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

APB wrote:
19 Aug 2024 06:00
So, Amazon is gonna do a biopic movie on John Madden. Great idea.

The actor they chose to play Madden? Nicolas Cage. Not so great idea, at least in my mind.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nicolas-cage-n ... 02111.html
Yeah, I can't see Cage playing Madden either. They should've gotten Frank Caliendo! :lol:

“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I can see Cage possibly working. Madden was a little quirky and crazy. That might just work. The Cage resurgence has been crazy though. Massive star way back who kind of went and did a whole bunch of B movies before getting thrust back into the spotlight and has been getting casted left and right with movies.

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

lupedafiasco wrote:
Do we have a new GM? :aok:

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

Its a young mans' game...and here are the team age averages ...you can see why 49ers are willing to let Aiyuk manipulate them, their window is closing

IT. IS. TIME

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

MY_TAKE wrote:
19 Aug 2024 22:21
lupedafiasco wrote:
He’s acting like it. He went from drafting some downright atrocious players and avoiding the teams shortfalls and aggressively attacks my weaknesses. Now we are seeing him going all in by filling every hole in the team.

I don’t care what anyone says. He might have pushed the cap all in under Rodgers but he was doing that by keeping some really bad players on bad contracts. He was just making bad decisions. That was not going all in, that was just doing some really stupid &%$@.

What we have seen in the past two years has been him making a lot of right decisions and it’s why we have seen a quick turn around.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

lupedafiasco wrote:
20 Aug 2024 19:10
MY_TAKE wrote:
19 Aug 2024 22:21
lupedafiasco wrote:
He’s acting like it. He went from drafting some downright atrocious players and avoiding the teams shortfalls and aggressively attacks my weaknesses. Now we are seeing him going all in by filling every hole in the team.

I don’t care what anyone says. He might have pushed the cap all in under Rodgers but he was doing that by keeping some really bad players on bad contracts. He was just making bad decisions. That was not going all in, that was just doing some really stupid &%$@.

What we have seen in the past two years has been him making a lot of right decisions and it’s why we have seen a quick turn around.
He was inept and somewhat lost in Rodgers salary hell / hostageland. Throw in some Lazard - Graham action and basic "what were you thinking". Somehow Murphy (or Ball) kept him. Over time, the ineptness evolved from dweebish-like to a somewhat odd Gutey Gutey swagger that culminated in a 9 and 8 record and some big wins over KC, Detroit and Dallas. Was a shame Bakh got hurt.