Jordan Love 2023 Expectation/Player Comparison

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

thanks for the vids, on every play some outside source fowls the play, either the receivers punk out or the pressure is on him and he has to reset or scramble.

to me Love just needs some consistent improvement from supporting cast and we'd have more wins, and Love would settle down, I think tech, accuracy, everything would be better. jmo

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

My ideal scenario for the season to now play out is for Love to continue to grow into his own, the WRs/TEs actually figure out when and how they're supposed to run a route, and the defense completely implode resulting in zero wins the rest of the way.

Next year we start the season with an offense ready to hit the ground running, a new DC, and a top 2 draft pick (along with several other R2-R3 complimentary picks).

...likely all on defense. Again.

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

APB wrote:
01 Nov 2023 07:47
My ideal scenario for the season to now play out is for Love to continue to grow into his own, the WRs/TEs actually figure out when and how they're supposed to run a route, and the defense completely implode resulting in zero wins the rest of the way.

Next year we start the season with an offense ready to hit the ground running, a new DC, and a top 2 draft pick (along with several other R2-R3 complimentary picks).

I'd be on board for this, though I will say, if we were to have a top 2 draft pick and we had a hunch that Love was going to be really good by the end of the year, I'd love to get Marvin Harrison Jr.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I'd go shopping for a DC now, entice Wade Philips to jump the XFL and take over for a couple seasons and also groom his replacement, he'd have this same squad finish top 10 this season and top 5 next year, he could also lend some help to Matt and the scout team prep.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Acrobat wrote:
01 Nov 2023 07:50
APB wrote:
01 Nov 2023 07:47

I'd be on board for this, though I will say, if we were to have a top 2 draft pick and we had a hunch that Love was going to be really good by the end of the year, I'd love to get Marvin Harrison Jr.
me, I'd go a different direction, if we feel secure with Love, why not turn that slot 2 pick into 2 top 10 picks and rebuild this OL so that it's easier to run and provide more help for Love, we need to realize I think, that not all drafted WR are ready as quickly as others, the issues we are seeing with ours happens with most, and are correctable.

I was the loudest guy in the room to rebuild that position, what I'am saying now is give it some time, these youngsters are playing hot and cold, and that often tempers out.

to me the biggest reason we are struggling is OL, jmo

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

We have 2 guys on the OL worth keeping. Jenkins and Tom. The rest can be replaced tomorrow for all I care. Runyan is probably a keep too, just because we can't legitimately expect to find 3 quality starting OLineman in one offseason. But his level of play isn't one that you couldn't reasonably expect to improve upon either.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

APB wrote:
01 Nov 2023 06:53
More stuff on Love and what he's showing. Click tweet to view plays.

I watch the games and I get very down on him.

Then I rewatch some plays and see some other stats and analysis on him and I warm back up again.

Pretty heavy lean he’s not gunna be the guy at the moment. But the dysfunctional offense, running game, missed blocks, wrong routes, WRs not making contested catches etc. Still unsure how much blame to throw his way. Talent around steps up just a bit, we’re probably sitting pretty easy at 4-3 with wins over Las Vegas and Denver.

Question does come up how much of all this dysfunction and bad communication is on Love. Figured there’d be a lapse in protection calls and hot routes. But the OL not blocking the NT on a 3rd and 1 on a run up the middle. What do you do sometimes?

So I’m still in the I don’t know category. Wish we weren’t so bad every where else so we could actually get a bit of a better look at him.

Papa John
Reactions:

Post by Papa John »

texas wrote:
31 Oct 2023 01:09
bud fox wrote:
28 Oct 2023 23:44
No idea if this guy knows what he is talking about. I'll ask my friend who knows football, who btw does not like Love- he says if he had to decide right now, he would choose another QB but that we should definitely wait a bit and see if he improves first.

Here is a question for all of you haters: would you rather have Love or Jimmy G (the Jimmy G of 4 years ago)? Because Jimmy G by all rights should be a Super Bowl champion. I think Love is better than him, so therefore under a well-executed Shanahan scheme, Love should be sufficient.

After the KC game 2 years ago, I was ready to throw in the towel on Love, but he did improve in year 3 so I am not ready to give up on him at all yet.
Saying Love is "better" than Jimmy G is kind of tricky for me. Love undoubtedly is a superior athlete. But I would say that Jimmy G is and was the better QB. The reason I think that is because, for the most part, he knows his limitations and plays within them. He knows that he is never going to be the most athletic QB. Once or twice a game he might take an unnecessary risk, but by and large he makes safe decisions. I can see how playing behind Brady influenced him in this regard. I see the opposite in Jordan Love. He has athleticism and has made a career up to this point based on that athleticism and doesn't appear to be employing the discipline that needs to be employed to sustain success at this level.
"It's better to decide wrongly than weakly; if you're weak, you're likely to be wrong anyway."
- Bill Parcells

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

CWIMM wrote:
31 Oct 2023 06:57
texas wrote:
31 Oct 2023 01:09
Here is a question for all of you haters: would you rather have Love or Jimmy G (the Jimmy G of 4 years ago)? Because Jimmy G by all rights should be a Super Bowl champion. I think Love is better than him, so therefore under a well-executed Shanahan scheme, Love should be sufficient.
I definitely wouldn't want Garropolo instead of Love. Unfortunately I'm not convinced I want Love as well though.
Same. But my point is that the level of play of Jimmy G is sufficient to win a Super Bowl, so if Love surpasses that, then Love is good enough to win one too.

But yeah, ideally you don't want your QB to be as bad as possible while still being good enough.

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

Matthew Stafford’s first year starting;

10 games & 10 games starting.
Record 2-8
53% completions
13 TDs
20 Ints
QB Rating - 61
Love is the answer…

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Foosball wrote:
01 Nov 2023 20:24

Record 2-8
53% completions
13 TDs
20 Ints
QB Rating - 61
Ya, he also joined a team that was 0-16 the year before and played 10 games as a rookie. Not really similar ha
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Drj820 wrote:
01 Nov 2023 20:31
Foosball wrote:

Record 2-8
53% completions
13 TDs
20 Ints
QB Rating - 61
Ya, he also joined a team that was 0-16 the year before and played 10 games as a rookie. Not really similar ha
He was also an elite talent in his draft. JL was not.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

wallyuwl wrote:
01 Nov 2023 21:05
Drj820 wrote:
01 Nov 2023 20:31
Foosball wrote:

Record 2-8
53% completions
13 TDs
20 Ints
QB Rating - 61
He was also an elite talent in his draft. JL was not.
One of the most talented quarterbacks to play the university of Georgia. A multi time national championship winning university in the SEC.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Imagine being a first year starter and needing to think of all the things you need to think about…then on top of that having to wonder if ANY of your recievers are going to actually run a route. Like imagine it being a legitimate option that they ALL do the wrong thing.

This is what Love is up against.

Gute has set him up to fail

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Drj820 wrote:
02 Nov 2023 01:38
Imagine being a first year starter and needing to think of all the things you need to think about…then on top of that having to wonder if ANY of your recievers are going to actually run a route. Like imagine it being a legitimate option that they ALL do the wrong thing.

Gute's job is not to teach WRs their routes or run routes for them. That is the coach's job and the player's job respectively.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

I really like the potential and physical traits of our young WR's and TE's. Zero issue with the "groceries" Gute has bought. I do wonder about the guy teaching them though. our WR's and passing game in general has been kind of a &%$@ show for 2+ years. didn't see much improvement in the last group and not seeing any in this group so far either. They can't all be bad.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Labrev wrote:
02 Nov 2023 08:23
Drj820 wrote:
02 Nov 2023 01:38

Gute's job is not to teach WRs their routes or run routes for them. That is the coach's job and the player's job respectively.
True. I just blamed gute for not having one receiver on the roster that has shown he knows how to run routes!

I blame Lafleur the most for that situation.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

tl;dr Brett thinks Love's supporting case is not good enough.

He also said an interesting thing about how Holmgren's stuff early on was geared towards his previous QBs and Favre felt it didn't always fit him, suggesting the same might be true here. Also of significance, since some are in denial of this, Favre says live action is a very different animal than practice, so you do not truly know what you have in a guy until they start full-time.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

williewasgreat wrote:
31 Oct 2023 10:53
Also, his occasional inaccuracy on his throws have all got to be eroding his confidence. It's really up to the coaches to find plays that will build his confidence.
Unfortunately Love is inaccurate on a lot of throws, not only occasionally.
Acrobat wrote:
31 Oct 2023 11:31
Very good points. I think the most frustrating thing of all is that we might end up moving on from Love without having a true evaluation of him but the pressure to win is so high that he could end up being the fall guy.
If only there would have been a way for Gutekunst to surround him with enough talent to fairly evaluate him in a single season.
APB wrote:
01 Nov 2023 06:53
More stuff on Love and what he's showing. Click tweet to view plays.

I must have missed those many "wow" plays by Love so far.
Yoop wrote:
01 Nov 2023 08:16
I'd go shopping for a DC now, entice Wade Philips to jump the XFL and take over for a couple seasons and also groom his replacement, he'd have this same squad finish top 10 this season and top 5 next year, he could also lend some help to Matt and the scout team prep.
Philips will turn 77 years old before the start of next season, hard pass on him.
texas wrote:
01 Nov 2023 16:15
Same. But my point is that the level of play of Jimmy G is sufficient to win a Super Bowl, so if Love surpasses that, then Love is good enough to win one too.

But yeah, ideally you don't want your QB to be as bad as possible while still being good enough.
Garropolo hasn't won a Super Bowl as the starter though.
Labrev wrote:
02 Nov 2023 08:23
Gutekunst is responsible for surrounding Love with enough to have a chance to succeed. He has definitely failed doing that for this season.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Labrev wrote:
02 Nov 2023 17:15

tl;dr Brett thinks Love's supporting case is not good enough.

He also said an interesting thing about how Holmgren's stuff early on was geared towards his previous QBs and Favre felt it didn't always fit him, suggesting the same might be true here. Also of significance, since some are in denial of this, Favre says live action is a very different animal than practice, so you do not truly know what you have in a guy until they start full-time.
dont think anyone thinks practice and live action are the same.

but three years of practice and then getting live action is better than no practice and only live action as a rookie, in my opinion.

In addition, three years of practice is enough time for players and coaches to have "an idea" of what they have at the QB position. Not 100% know, but def an educated guess.