Packers @ Colts GDT 3:25 Sunday 11/22/20

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Pugger wrote:
23 Nov 2020 07:58
go pak go wrote:
23 Nov 2020 07:52
Pugger wrote:
23 Nov 2020 07:44

You can't turn it over 4 times and expect to win. No team can do that. It was a minor miracle we were in position to before MVS's fumble in OT.
I disagree. We should have won that game. It only appeared a miracle because the refs didn't call the blatant facemask to get us in easy field goal range, the refs called a ticky tack holding call on Lewis on a really nice Jamaal Williams run and Rodgers threw a bad ball to Tonyan and also maybe should have hit Quez on that play anyways.

It only appeared to be a miracle because the Colts kept holding and Rodgers and MVS had the sickest play of the year with a 1:30 to go.

We were the better football team yesterday. We lost a game we should have won. And once again it was largely because we were out coached. And it is getting really frustrating seeing these coaches sh*t the bed every time we have a big prime time game.
The better team doesn't wet the bed and turn it over like this. I do agree this game was poorly coached but I can't think of many times when a team turns it over like that and wins, especially on the road. We were our own worst enemy yesterday.
I’m with you on this Pugger, not turning the ball over is part of being a better team. Being competent at special teams is part of being a better team. Being able to run the ball on 3rd and 4th And 1 is something the better team would do.

I agree that we SHOULD be the better team, but we just weren’t.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
23 Nov 2020 07:52
Pugger wrote:
23 Nov 2020 07:44
bud fox wrote:
22 Nov 2020 22:00

We weren't running it great and were moving it pretty easy through the pass.

Problem was 3 fumbles and a interception.
You can't turn it over 4 times and expect to win. No team can do that. It was a minor miracle we were in position to before MVS's fumble in OT.
I disagree. We should have won that game. It only appeared a miracle because the refs didn't call the blatant facemask to get us in easy field goal range, the refs called a ticky tack holding call on Lewis on a really nice Jamaal Williams run and Rodgers threw a bad ball to Tonyan and also maybe should have hit Quez on that play anyways.

It only appeared to be a miracle because the Colts kept holding and Rodgers and MVS had the sickest play of the year with a 1:30 to go.

We were the better football team yesterday. We lost a game we should have won. And once again it was largely because we were out coached. And it is getting really frustrating seeing these coaches sh*t the bed every time we have a big prime time game.
ehhh, it's a lot of things, as to coaching, it seems epedemic, look at all the lousy football teams this season, it's a covid situation imo, no off season, lots of injury's, and coaches are trying to do play installs still, experimenting with everything hoping to find some combination t5hat produces positive results, we as fans focus on the failures which out number successes and blame this or that as though we know the reasons why.

the colts schemed up 1 on 1 against Kirksey and P Smith with Pittman and there TE for 14 points in the first half right between the hash marks, to start the 2nd half Pettine used Raven Green at hybrid lber to provide better coverage, so the Colts ran the ball for 5 minutes over the top of Raven Green and owned the clock in the 3rd quarter, that sub package killed us.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I know I keep harping on this (sorry), but it’s the top thing I think about when I think of my frustrations with the team. Followed by Guteys drafts and not addressing areas we all knew were needs.

But here goes: I think Rodgers out smarts the offensive consistency sometimes.

We are in a rhythm and he is doing so much pre snap, All of a sudden the play clock is near zero.

Lafluer says he calls two plays in the huddle and they do one based on the look the defense gives...I think rodgers let’s the tie breaker go to him if the defense looks neutral. As in if it’s 50/50 he should pass or run, I think he is going to call his own number and pass.

I think going in with two plays and letting Rodgers decide is making the O look more like MMs offenses. Rodgers is checking to what he is comfy with I bet. I mean those first several plays when it’s all on the game script, they look like Lafleur and they look great. Then something always changes.

I just really wish we would do what Lafleur claimed he wanted to do and that’s be a running team, and do a world of cool stuff of the run. I don’t like that we let a defense dictate what we run. I want to line up and say “we have this great OL (very well funded) and this RB who we “must pay”, i don’t care what the defense looks like..if they don’t have 8 in their box we are going to run it and pop them in the mouth and get 5 yards on first down.

I just hate that we don’t have that mentality in us. We would rather be cerebral than physical it seems. It’s a shame.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
23 Nov 2020 08:16
I know I keep harping on this (sorry), but it’s the top thing I think about when I think of my frustrations with the team. Followed by Guteys drafts and not addressing areas we all knew were needs.

We are in a rhythm and he is doing so much pre snap, All of a sudden the play clock is near zero.

Lafluer says he calls two plays in the huddle and they do one based on the look the defense gives...I think rodgers let’s the tie breaker go to him if the defense looks neutral. As in if it’s 50/50 he should pass or run, I think he is going to call his own number and pass.

I think going in with two plays and letting Rodgers decide is making the O look more like MMs offenses. Rodgers is checking to what he is comfy with I bet. I mean those first several plays when it’s all on the game script, they look like Lafleur and they look great. Then something always changes.

I just really wish we would do what Lafleur claimed he wanted to do and that’s be a running team, and do a world of cool stuff of the run. I don’t like that we let a defense dictate what we run. I want to line up and say “we have this great OL (very well funded) and this RB who we “must pay”, i don’t care what the defense looks like..if they don’t have 8 in their box we are going to run it and pop them in the mouth and get 5 yards on first down.

I just hate that we don’t have that mentality in us. We would rather be cerebral than physical it seems. It’s a shame.
could be, but Rodgers himself said we need to run the ball more a couple years ago, I was wondering if Linsleys injury had anything to do with not running more, that Jenkins new to center had something to do with it, and if Jones had a lingering injury issue he was dealing with for the reason for only 1`0 touches

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I actually woke up more grumpy about the loss than I was last night...hmm... :dunno:

Anyways, something else I really don’t understand, can’t Aaron Jones and Jamaal be on the field at the same time?
Sometimes, but rarely one is at WR, while one is in the backfield.

But it just seems both are earning reps, both have value, and it’s not like we have 3 or 4 WRs that just MUST be on the field.

Why not have both in the back field in some packages and hand to either at different times, or have one stay in to block while the other goes out for a pass, or have both go to opposite flats while a slot guy runs a slant, thus clearing out the LBs inside, or springing the guy in the flat open?

Just seems they are two assets that could open up another world if they both got on the field at the same time.

These guys are quality players and in the last year of their deals, I hate to see jones on the sideline while healthy for entire drives like he was at the end of the game before OT. Get them both in and put them to work!
Last edited by Drj820 on 23 Nov 2020 08:27, edited 1 time in total.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

Pugger wrote:
23 Nov 2020 08:01
Christo wrote:
23 Nov 2020 07:53
go pak go wrote:
23 Nov 2020 06:58

I have many posts here saying this was a total team effort loss.

I have to bring up the Rodgers thing because over and over and over and over again this forum and Packers fans as a whole give our playmakers such a pass. They can never do any wrong. Instead it's always everybody else's fault.

Rodgers said himself he wish he got that 3rd down back. Do you not agree that if we are going to anoint him MVP and we are going to call him Godgers that he should win the game when he had two opportunities to do it?

Isn't that what MVPs do? Isn't that what Godgers would do?

And I get the whole Aaron Jones needs more touches. I absolutely do. But to get those touches, we need to get that first, first down in the 2nd half. We go through these spurts where we can' convert 3rd and 4 or less and we go on spurts on the other side where we can't get off the field on 3rd and 8 or longer and as a result we have 6 plays in the 2nd half until 5 minutes to go.

It's a recipe to lose football.

But playmakers make plays. Even when everything is crashing around them. And Rodgers didn't do it. I'm not blaming him. I'm not yelling at him. But I am saying let's pump the brakes on the whole Godgers thing because Godgers would have won that game. But Rodgers didn't win that game.

He is not Godgers.
You're correct on many points. It is a total team game, players and coaches. For the past few weeks we've heard about handling adversity. Well, yesterday was a game full of it, and the Packers didn't handle it well.
We keep talking about keeping this team together and thinking of ways to pay for player X. Some on here say this team has the talent to win it all.
But I ask, what good is talent if it's not used?
We know Preston Smith can play, we've seen it, we know Savage has all of the physical tools. We know they can play great in spurts. But we also know they can disappear in the blink of an eye.
The question is, why do these players lay down and play lazy football? Why do they sleepwalk for entire halves of games?
Why do coaches who know what they're own weaknesses are, allow other teams to exploit them?
For the most part, the Packers have played in a pretty weak division over the past 10 or so years. They've had some nice records over those years. But when it comes to standing out among the top teams in the league, they have come up short.
I don't know if LaFluer is the guy to lead them to the top. He doesn't come across as someone who can kick some of these players in the ass, which is exactly what they need.
Changes need to be made. I understand that moves during the season are not going to happen. But come day one after they're season is over, start showing some of these coaches the door.
I've said before, don't like people getting fired, but these guys make a good buck and are expected to have they're position groups ready for anything. What I see now, is a bunch of guys looking lost in key moments of games. That is what coaches are supposed to correct, at least the good ones do.
I'm not calling for MLF to be let go. But he picked most of the coaches, and more than a few have been less than stellar. If he doesn't make changes after seeing them fail, then he's not much of a leader.
But did MLF really pick his coaches? Is Gute the final say on draft day and trades? I say get Ball and Murphy out of football operations first.
He did pick most of his coaches. We know Pettine was forced on him. Mennegna was someone who he had to settle for. But the fact he settled for him, shows he's not a strong leader. He could have fought for the guy he wanted. Were talking about a business that spends money by the truck load on things we can't even begin to imagine, and were supposed to believe money kept MLF from getting the guy he wanted?
This probably came down to a hundred thousand bucks, and the front office balked.

As far as Gutey having the final say, hell yes he does. I can't believe MLF wanted to pick a QB that won't play for 3 years at the earliest in the first round. Who gets resigned and who doesn't falls on the GM. Same with trades.

As for Ball, somebody has to figure out how to handle the cap and structure the contracts. No F-ing way a head coach has the time to handle that
And Murphy, he is in effect, the Jerry Jones of the Packers, since the team has no one single owner.

kyle.mccarroll
Reactions:

Post by kyle.mccarroll »

go pak go wrote:
23 Nov 2020 06:02
What is encouraging and really frustrating are that our players had really good games.

Like Kenny Clark OWNED Quenton Nelson. My gawd Kenny Clark is back folks.

Z Smith for the most part had a good game until the collapse and then nearly got the play of the game but still a hell of a play.

Rashan Gary looked pretty good during the game.

Darnell Savage had a very good game.

Jaire had his typical game.

MVS was a rockstar bailing us out twice.

We ran the ball better then I thought we would.

We got the tight ends involved like I was hoping we would.

We played significantly better then I thought we would and still lost. That stings. That stings a lot.

And Preston Smith...you need to go.
This is kinda what bothers me. I get that everyone is saying that we played better than people expected, and we should build on that. But the other side of that coin is that our players performed well for the most part, and it still wasn't good enough.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
23 Nov 2020 08:25
I actually woke up more grumpy about the loss than I was last night...hmm... :dunno:
:rotf: :rotf: Dude I am the same.

I honestly couldn't sleep last night I was so mad. It was the first time I couldn't sleep I think since the Hawks 14 Ship game. I mean I am MAD.

And I like that. I like that this team is making me care that much. It also means that I was pleasantly surprised. We played so much better then I thought we would yesterday. And then we let it crumble so hard.

But time to right this ship. Not another loss this year. 13 wins I believe still gets us that bye. Or at least the odds are high. Our run the table starts now. :lombardi:
Last edited by go pak go on 23 Nov 2020 08:29, edited 1 time in total.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:

Anyways, something else I really don’t understand, can’t Aaron Jones and Jamaal be on the field at the same time?

But it just seems both are earning reps, both have value, and it’s not like we have 3 or 4 WRs that just MUST be on the field.

Why not have both in the back field in some packages and hand to either at different times, or have one stay in to block while the other goes out for a pass, or have both go to opposite flats while a slot guy runs a slant, thus clearing out the LBs inside, or springing the guy in the flat open?

Just seems they are two assets that could open up another world if they both got on the field at the same time.

These guys are quality players and in the last year of their deals, I hate to see jones on the sideline while healthy for entire drives like he was at the end of the game before OT. Get them both in and put them to work!
Thing is we saw this early in the season. We saw this all the time and it was lethal. Why don't we keep doing it?
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Drj820 wrote:

I believe a lot of this presnap stuff by Rodgers and allowing the play clock to dwindle down to almost zero is an issue. When you do this you find yourself burning precious time outs that you need later on. This has driven me crazy for a while now.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Drj820 wrote:

I like your idea but I'm wondering if MLF and the offensive coaches want to keep these guys fresh so they alternate series? :idn:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Pugger wrote:
23 Nov 2020 08:38
Drj820 wrote:

I like your idea but I'm wondering if MLF and the offensive coaches want to keep these guys fresh so they alternate series? :idn:
That possibly is the thought process, but if it is true then it tells me Jones is not a 3 down work horse or a bell cow back. It would imply he’s not near the level of “plays in majority of series all game long” Alvin Kamara and that Jones should be paid like a talented rotational back.

I can understand getting a series or two off in game, but if Jones needed to sit that last drive before OT due to fatigue, that hurts his market value bigly in my opinion.

A teams best players should be ready to play against good competition. Requiring breaks is not a top dollar player...even tho I suspect Jones wanted to be in there and was fully capable of helping the team.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

Drj820 wrote:
23 Nov 2020 08:58
Pugger wrote:
23 Nov 2020 08:38
Drj820 wrote:

That possibly is the thought process, but if it is true then it tells me Jones is not a 3 down work horse or a bell cow back. It would imply he’s not near the level of “plays in majority of series all game long” Alvin Kamara and that Jones should be paid like a talented rotational back.

I can understand getting a series or two off in game, but if Jones needed to sit that last drive before OT due to fatigue, that hurts his market value bigly in my opinion
Yeah, sitting guys down at key times of the game is a head scratcher. These players are in the best shape of they're lives. I can understand plays off and catching your breath after a long run or a hard hit, but drives when the game is on the line? Don't we keep hearing, we want our best players on the field when it counts? I guess that's just more sound bite talk from MLF.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

Pugger wrote:
23 Nov 2020 08:36
Drj820 wrote:

I believe a lot of this presnap stuff by Rodgers and allowing the play clock to dwindle down to almost zero is an issue. When you do this you find yourself burning precious time outs that you need later on. This has driven me crazy for a while now.
I can't begin to describe just how much I HATE letting the clock tick down to the last second.
Was watching the Ohio St., Indiana game Saturday, It was a close game and state was moving the ball down the field and you can see Indiana was getting gassed. Instead of pounding them and keeping the pressure on them, the buckeyes come up to the line and stand there for 15 seconds letting
the Hoosiers catch they're breath. And at the same time, slowing down your offense just when you're in rhythm.
Rodgers does this every week. Drives me crazy.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

go pak go wrote:
23 Nov 2020 08:27
Drj820 wrote:

I honestly couldn't sleep last night I was so mad. It was the first time I couldn't sleep I think since the Hawks 14 Ship game. I mean I am MAD.

And I like that. I like that this team is making me care that much. It also means that I was pleasantly surprised. We played so much better then I thought we would yesterday. And then we let it crumble so hard.

But time to right this ship. Not another loss this year. 13 wins I believe still gets us that bye. Or at least the odds are high. Our run the table starts now. :lombardi:
Not understanding how you can say, they played so much better than you thought they would, when they took an entire half off?
I honestly believe this loss broke they're backs.
This is a mentally soft group of players. Saw some stupid comment Rodgers said yesterday, he's proud of the way they fought. Are you F-ing kidding me?
These guys laid down and rolled up in the fetal position when it got tough, and he's proud of that???

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Christo wrote:
23 Nov 2020 09:29
go pak go wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

Not understanding how you can say, they played so much better than you thought they would, when they took an entire half off?
This is a mentally soft group of players. Saw some stupid comment Rodgers said yesterday, he's proud of the way they fought. Are you F-ing kidding me?
These guys laid down and rolled up in the fetal position when it got tough, and he's proud of that???
just stop, you confuse playing soft with not playing smart or not coached to be able to play better, players do what coaches tell them to do most of the time, we have a shortage of talent at some key positions, namely ILB and DL on defense and slot receiver on offense, and opposing teams know this, and that limits the ability of not only players but also coaches, I didn't see players not giving it there all yesterday, I saw players out played because they aren't or weren't as talented as the competition.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Playing 7 yards off on 2nd and goal... that's soft.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Christo wrote:
23 Nov 2020 09:29
go pak go wrote:
Drj820 wrote:

Because I am a fan and that is what fans do. I literally can't help it.
Yoop wrote:

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Pckfn23 wrote:
23 Nov 2020 09:42
Playing 7 yards off on 2nd and goal... that's soft.
That's soft play calling. Not necessarily soft on the players' part. And I agree, that crap has got to stop.
RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I don't think they played well, but they didn't play particularly poorly. Coaching wasn't good either.

That's why I have hope. If we played our best game and didn't cut it, I would have no hope. That didn't happen.

There were some good things in that game and there were some horrendously bad things. We can figure it out, or we can continue to plod through inconsistency. We shall see. I am not going to predict doom and gloom nor am I going to predict Super Bowl Baby!
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."