Week 8 Post Game: Vikings ∞, Packers 10

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

I've been harping about the WR since 2016, and I don't remember ever getting much support, if I had I wouldn't have kept bringing it up.

same with OL, Lafleur abandons the run because it isn't producing down and distance, right away folks get on Lafleur, never mind the run blocking sucks, I mention Loves got pass rush itis, and someone brings some cherry picked stats showing how good the blocking is, when Love is facing free rushers in his face every game, whats the use of talking about anything in this forum, the select rose colored crowd in here will gang bang any decent of there consensus opinions as though there right, which obviously is not always the case.

doesn't take very much at this level of the sport for everything to look bad, poor line play makes every facet harder, and that seems a fair description of our run and passing ability, add in the wet behind the ears receivers making it near impossible for Love to build any chemistry, and the problems become monumental.

either way, if Love doesn't improve by seasons end then we should take another QB in this draft to groom for Loves probable last season.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

It wouldn’t matter who Love has at WR right now. These passes are so inaccurate it doesn’t matter. Ever pass is highly contested or not even close.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

lupedafiasco wrote:
29 Oct 2023 23:47
It wouldn’t matter who Love has at WR right now. These passes are so inaccurate it doesn’t matter. Ever pass is highly contested or not even close.
Int today is example.

People are like unlucky reed's fault. Why is reed turning back to the passer and reaching back on a deep ball. It should be over the top.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

Really having a lot of problems finding many positives this game.

Much of what I see can be blamed on players not doing their job and/or just not being very good at all at certain positions. It can also be attributed to poor coaching, sometimes it looks like both or either and it's getting hard to tell.

Some of it looks like just plain old youth that needs to figure it out. Makes sense. But then I see the same things week after week, so will they figure it out?

I see so much dysfunction in our Oline it's so hard to watch, it kills our run game, our pass game, the flow of the game, etc. I do believe that is the biggest issue with Jones and Dillon, but i've said for years, the run game on this team is a function of who we have at QB vs the power of our run game. Very few times in the past 5 years was there a time we needed to run the ball and we were successful because we just had a powerful run game. Most of it was against a favorable front. Anyway, that hasn't changed, we still can't consistently block up front.

I do not care for our DC. I think other teams read him like a book and we tend to make things easy for teams when we should be making it difficult. I see guys who can play and are often just allowing things to happen to them rather than doing them to the other team. I think it's coaching. But they can't all be bad can they? Every offensive coach? Defensive? ST's? their are gaffes at every unit, every game, and they hurt. Bisaccia did well in other places. He did well as an interim HC for the Raiders, does he just suck now too? I can't believe that. maybe it is the players, I don't know, but none of them seem very disciplined right now, not even relative to a young team it seems.

Then our QB, he can move, he can run, he can throw it pretty well sometimes. and others? ooffff. But nobody helps each other out either. Pass catchers aren't making plays, then he's not making plays and the OL rarely makes a play at all. Really difficult to judge with any degree of certainty. For me anyway.

I will say that INT that got taken from Reed, I finally say a replay, wasn't as bad as I thought. The ball was higher than I had it pictured. I thought it was at the defenders rear shoulder, but it wasn't. So all in all, gave the WR a chance and it was a play not made by Reed. Lots of WR's do make that play every week though. and one of the last passes to Watson, in the endzone, gave him a chance, he jumps clean of 2 defenders and it hits him square in both hands, and drops it. Another place a WR could have helped out a young QB and this team, and didn't. Wicks down in the redzone. Needs to catch that perfect sling. that's not even helping a QB, that's just football 101 do your job stuff. It hurts the whole team when you don't.

But there were other times, 2 to Doubs I can remember. One to the sideline that was right on the boundary and high. Which would have been fine if there was anybody at all wearing purple over there. But he was so wide open that should be automatic easy pitch and catch. it wasn't even a catch. Another he threw way short in the dirt, but I think maybe that was a good choice because there was an inside out defender that had a chance to pick that one if it was in the air.

Then 2 over throws late, but again, young QB, youngish receivers, that can take time, but I'd like to see some of them start hitting. Those guys were open and if you want to back off a defense, you need to hit them. and a toss in the endzone late again. He could have thrown it earlier, more shallow in the endzone and it could have been a classic Rodgers to Jordy back shoulder on the boundary TD. Instead it went into the back of the defender where the receiver doesn't have much of a chance at it at all. Get it up, and give him a chance.

anyway, just looking for some growth in this team, and i'm not seeing it yet. I know learning isn't always pretty and have been around long enough to see kids, dogs, people look more confused and lost right before it all comes back together again. Teach them a little and looks good, teach them more and it all goes to &%$@, then it all comes back together. If you're doing it right. Learning isn't linear, but this trajectory has been tough to watch outside of a couple quarters early in the season.

I don't care what they choose to figure out this week, but damn it, figure something out and take a step forward instead of this regression.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
I tend to disagree with that to the point that these receivers are not running the routes consistently, how is a QB to know how much to lead them if they rarely run the route the same? I also see receivers drop the perfect passes, imo his play right now is no worse then those receivers, the RB's and surely this suck fest of a OL.

and we also have to be one of the worst zone coverage defenses in the league, our players look like robots, with a broken remote, every game we have receivers sitting up and DB's just siting there watching them catch passes.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

bud fox wrote:
30 Oct 2023 01:24
lupedafiasco wrote:
Int today is example.

People are like unlucky reed's fault. Why is reed turning back to the passer and reaching back on a deep ball. It should be over the top.
I tried saying this in the game and for whatever reason there are still Love defenders and a guy saying I don’t know football which made me laugh because they’re blaming Walker who did exactly what he was supposed to on an RPO. If the ball isn’t out of the QBs hand in a second on an RPO that’s on the QB. The lineman can’t see behind his head. That’s in Love.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Guys. Again. There are plenty of plays to complain about Love yesterday.

Just pick the plays that actually make sense to poke on Love. I am reading pages of "Love sucked on the Reed INT" and yet not a word on the actual poor ball by Love that got dropped by Camryn Bynum.

Or pick on not throwing the ball with Reed wide open in the middle or Dillon open as a check down and instead Love takes a sack.

Pretty silly that I'm only reading about a play that Love actually didn't do bad in.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Good locker room interview with Rasul. Well, not good, but you know what I mean.
https://www.packersnews.com/videos/spor ... 378152007/
RIP JustJeff

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

go pak go wrote:
30 Oct 2023 07:29
" and yet not a word on the actual poor ball by Love that got dropped by Camryn Bynum.

I did in the game thread :)

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

musclestang wrote:
30 Oct 2023 08:45
go pak go wrote:
30 Oct 2023 07:29
" and yet not a word on the actual poor ball by Love that got dropped by Camryn Bynum.

I did in the game thread :)
I know you did. And I have enjoyed reading your posts. Your giant post was really good, detailed and thoughtful.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

paco wrote:
30 Oct 2023 09:45

3 guys are right, 2 of those actually get the job done, out of 7 guys... That's absolutely crazy.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

Pckfn23 wrote:
30 Oct 2023 10:15
paco wrote:

3 guys are right, 2 of those actually get the job done, out of 7 guys... That's absolutely crazy.
Yup! Looking at that play yesterday live, I was like WTF??? Its a SHI.. show.

williewasgreat
Reactions:

Post by williewasgreat »

Pckfn23 wrote:
paco wrote:

So, are these players incompetent or is the coaching incompetent. Kind of looks like both. This is a microcosm of the offense this season. Truly pathetic!

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

williewasgreat wrote:
30 Oct 2023 10:35
Pckfn23 wrote:
paco wrote:

So, are these players incompetent or is the coaching incompetent. Kind of looks like both. This is a microcosm of the offense this season. Truly pathetic!
I gotta go with coaching at this point. It is absolutely worse than it should be. When there are 3 or 4 out of 7 guys not doing their job...
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 30 Oct 2023 11:01, edited 1 time in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

go pak go wrote:
30 Oct 2023 09:17

I know you did. And I have enjoyed reading your posts. Your giant post was really good, detailed and thoughtful.
awww, shucks :)

I usually set a much lower bar for myself :mrgreen:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

musclestang wrote:
30 Oct 2023 10:42
go pak go wrote:
30 Oct 2023 09:17

awww, shucks :)

I usually set a much lower bar for myself :mrgreen:
nice post MS :aok:

I think versus blaming Lafleur for everything just because the buck stops with him, is disingenuous to the complete blocking blunders, receivers continuously running the routes wrong and all the other positional poor play, at some point the accountability has to fall down to them.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

williewasgreat wrote:
30 Oct 2023 10:35
Pckfn23 wrote:
paco wrote:
*snip*
IMO, coaching. Myers played fine as a rookie and his regression correlates with across-the-board regression at OL with Butkus taking over, save for Bakh and Tom who have stayed the same (and were good without any coaching).

Unacceptable. They cannot always be given play-ready guys, they have to be able to make these guys playable. Stenovich to his credit was able to get any of them to play at least okay. Butkus is hopeless.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

The more I watch this the more idiotic this is. Single high safety over man with 3 "zone" defenders who don't drop into a zone, but look like they are spying Cousins as if he is the second coming of Michael Vick... Preston Smith and Gary drops 2 yards back into some weird shallow slant/crosser zone. Walker and Campbell are up top. Campbell manning up Cam Akers. Walker dropping into what is essentially the same zone as Gary. Jaire playing man on their #1 up top. All 3 are on the same level which invites routes that pick each other. At the bottom, it looks like what I would call Stab and Rail. The press man defender is manned up on Hockenson and needs to jam him on the line. The over 2 defenders are playing a match man coverage on the #1 and #2. Powell, the #2 receive completely lays out I assume Douglas, which in itself is a penalty. This leaves Hock wide open and Nixon having to cover for Rasul who got leveled. The whole coverage and pass rush just doesn't make a lot of structural sense.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Pckfn23 wrote:
30 Oct 2023 12:22
*Tweet*

The more I watch this the more idiotic this is. Single high safety over man with 3 "zone" defenders who don't drop into a zone, but look like they are spying Cousins as if he is the second coming of Michael Vick... Preston Smith and Gary drops 2 yards back into some weird shallow slant/crosser zone. Walker and Campbell are up top. Campbell manning up Cam Akers. Walker dropping into what is essentially the same zone as Gary. Jaire playing man on their #1 up top. All 3 are on the same level which invites routes that pick each other. At the bottom, it looks like what I would call Stab and Rail. The press man defender is manned up on Hockenson and needs to jam him on the line. The over 2 defenders are playing a match man coverage on the #1 and #2. Powell, the #2 receive completely lays out I assume Douglas, which in itself is a penalty. This leaves Hock wide open and Nixon having to cover for Rasul who got leveled. The whole coverage and pass rush just doesn't make a lot of structural sense.
Idiotic is the right word. I couldn't help but say "WTF?" when it happened
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi