Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2021

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
31 Jan 2021 08:44
go pak go wrote:
31 Jan 2021 08:37
Yeah I was thinking about Watson and Rodgers too.

Like we are looking at 3 1st's and 2 2nd's type compensation?

The one thing I don't get about these blockbuster trades is you as the recipient only have like a 2 or 3 year window to be any good because you have to pay an expensive quarterback and don't get draft picks to re-stock.

The only thing that was really stupid for the Lions was to take Goff. I don't get the point of taking an expensive quarterback (even if the Rams likely gave him a lot of bonuses) when he probably isn't a huge upgrade over someone like a Tim Boyle.
wow you really have a low opinion of Goff, so what if Goff cost about the same as Stafford, the Lions got to first, a third, and a QB they can use as they groom up the one they will take with there 7th in this class, they even have ammo to trade up for the best one, maybe, Detroit made out well, and the Rams have who they feel can give them a excellent shot in the nest 3 to 5 years.
I do have a low opinion of Goff and I have a low opinion of paying any quarterback high money if they aren't a difference maker. It's why I always laughed at the Kirk Cousins contracts too.

You pay quarterbacks to win you games. Not manage them.

At some point the league is going to figure it out too that paying huge money to average or below average quarterbacks is incredibly stupid. When the Rams were hoping their backup could play against us, whether thumb or no thumb by Goff....it tells you something.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

Pckfn23 wrote:
31 Jan 2021 09:08
Lions have no guaranteed money tied to Goff.
I thought Goff had 43 million guaranteed over the two years.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
31 Jan 2021 09:13
Pckfn23 wrote:
That's what it looks like to me too.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
31 Jan 2021 09:09
Yoop wrote:
31 Jan 2021 08:44
go pak go wrote:

The one thing I don't get about these blockbuster trades is you as the recipient only have like a 2 or 3 year window to be any good because you have to pay an expensive quarterback and don't get draft picks to re-stock.

The only thing that was really stupid for the Lions was to take Goff. I don't get the point of taking an expensive quarterback (even if the Rams likely gave him a lot of bonuses) when he probably isn't a huge upgrade over someone like a Tim Boyle.
wow you really have a low opinion of Goff, so what if Goff cost about the same as Stafford, the Lions got to first, a third, and a QB they can use as they groom up the one they will take with there 7th in this class, they even have ammo to trade up for the best one, maybe, Detroit made out well, and the Rams have who they feel can give them a excellent shot in the nest 3 to 5 years.
I do have a low opinion of Goff and I have a low opinion of paying any quarterback high money if they aren't a difference maker. It's why I always laughed at the Kirk Cousins contracts too.

You pay quarterbacks to win you games. Not manage them.

At some point the league is going to figure it out too that paying huge money to average or below average quarterbacks is incredibly stupid. When the Rams were hoping their backup could play against us, whether thumb or no thumb by Goff....it tells you something.
no there not, because not having a game manager is worse then not having a game manager, and Goff isn't a game manager anyway he's a top 15 QB, the Rams made a mistake of not starting Goff against us, imo they also made a mistake of rushing him in as a rookie, but thats another topic.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

https://overthecap.com/player/jared-goff/4714/

according to this the guaranteed money has already been paid????????

overthecap.com/player/jared-goff/4714
The extension is worth $134 million in new money over 4 years. We are estimating Goff to receive $57,042,682 fully guaranteed at signing. The full guarantee consists of a $25 million signing bonus, guaranteed salaries in 2019 & 2020, and a practical (guaranteed ~three days after signing) $21 million roster bonus in 2020.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

go pak go wrote:
31 Jan 2021 09:24
Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
31 Jan 2021 09:13
Pckfn23 wrote:
That's what it looks like to me too.
Nope, I was wrong. He are the guarantees in the contract for the upcoming years:
2021 salary fully guarantees on 3/19/2020 (guaranteed for injury now)
2021 Roster Bonus: $2.5M (guarantees 3/19/20)
2022 Roster Bonus: $15.5M (guarantees 3/19/20)
2023 Roster Bonus: $5M
2024 Rsoter Bonus: $5M

So basically they have to keep him for 2021 or they lose an extra $15 million on the cap.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Goff started against us...
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

Yoop wrote:
31 Jan 2021 09:36
https://overthecap.com/player/jared-goff/4714/

according to this the guaranteed money has already been paid????????

overthecap.com/player/jared-goff/4714
The extension is worth $134 million in new money over 4 years. We are estimating Goff to receive $57,042,682 fully guaranteed at signing. The full guarantee consists of a $25 million signing bonus, guaranteed salaries in 2019 & 2020, and a practical (guaranteed ~three days after signing) $21 million roster bonus in 2020.
He got the 57 at signing.

110 is guaranteed over the life of the deal.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

thanks for straightening me up guys :aok:

after all of this if I where the Lions I'd have just held out for the 1st and a 2nd or 3rd rounder and used there 7th overall to take a rookie to groom up.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
31 Jan 2021 09:07
Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
31 Jan 2021 08:47
go pak go wrote:

Taking Goff's contract is why they got 2 firsts rather than 1. The Rams paid Detroit to take not Goff but rather his contract.

Lions could very well cut Goff. They have an enormous amount of cap space. They also have draft picks.

The nightmare for us right now is Detroit packing picks, Goff, and cash for Watson.
This makes sense. I didn't know the structure of the trade and impact of the cap. Like what difference does it make in these situations if the Rams either trade Goff or cut Goff? It must have something to do with that deferment of signing bonus transferring to the Lions?
Lions need those picks to build a football team. If they use all that loot to go buy Watson now, Watson will look a lot like he did in Houston. Also look like Stafford did in Detroit. Detroit needs to use the loot to build a team, not buy another qb they can waste imo
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Drj820 wrote:
31 Jan 2021 09:59
go pak go wrote:
31 Jan 2021 09:07
Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
31 Jan 2021 08:47

Taking Goff's contract is why they got 2 firsts rather than 1. The Rams paid Detroit to take not Goff but rather his contract.

Lions could very well cut Goff. They have an enormous amount of cap space. They also have draft picks.

The nightmare for us right now is Detroit packing picks, Goff, and cash for Watson.
This makes sense. I didn't know the structure of the trade and impact of the cap. Like what difference does it make in these situations if the Rams either trade Goff or cut Goff? It must have something to do with that deferment of signing bonus transferring to the Lions?
Lions need those picks to build a football team. If they use all that loot to go buy Watson now, Watson will look a lot like he did in Houston. Also look like Stafford did in Detroit. Detroit needs to use the loot to build a team, not buy another qb they can waste imo
Yeah I don't think the Lions going after Watson would make any sense either.

I'm just not huge on paying years of resources on a QB because the surrounding pieces will still hold that QB back.
Yoop wrote:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Best case for scenario for the Lions is they get their QB fall to them at #7 or even use a 2nd/3rd rounder this year to trade up to 5 or so to get their QB.

This is their shot at a QB unless they think they will absolutely suck in 2021. But if they get a QB with their top pick this year that they can let sit for a year AND have draft capital in the future while also getting to select a top end WR, edge guy, CB etc with that mid 20's pick....wouldn't be a bad draft at all.
Yoop wrote:

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Pckfn23 wrote:
31 Jan 2021 09:40
Goff started against us...
And Jeff Fisher had him locked in a closet most of his rookie year.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

Rams trade Stafford to Texans, get Watson.

Watson + Donald plus all of their picks, forever.

I'd do that deal.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yeah I just couldn't see the Rams giving us anything we would actually want for Rodgers.
Yoop wrote:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Brad Holmes brought insanity along with him from LA to Detroit, at least two other teams now claim they offered a better deal then Detroit got from the Rams, the latest, Carolina claims they offered there slot 8 pick plus other considerations for Stafford, that pick alone was worth Staffords draft value, and could have been traded for a later first and 2nd rounder, and would have come minus the albatros of Goffs contract, Holmes must think Goff is better then he was thought to be by McVay and Rams FO.

the Rams didn't have the draft capitol to compete for a QB like Rodgers, didn't have it for Stafford either, Holmes is a idiot, and sold a bird in hand for a couple in the bushes, if these future draft picks don't pan out Holmes wont either, nice to know the central division will remain a 3 contender division for the next 5 or 6 years :rotf:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

go pak go wrote:
31 Jan 2021 20:38
Yeah I just couldn't see the Rams giving us anything we would actually want for Rodgers.
Rodgers wasn't on the table at all.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Pckfn23 wrote:
01 Feb 2021 10:44
go pak go wrote:
Of course now rumors starting that Rodgers and his agent are shopping, even though Packers don't want to. :roll:

In other rumors, now the 49ers are apparently trying hard to trade for Cousins. :messedup:
RIP JustJeff

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

paco wrote:
01 Feb 2021 10:56
Pckfn23 wrote:
01 Feb 2021 10:44
go pak go wrote:
Of course now rumors starting that Rodgers and his agent are shopping, even though Packers don't want to. :roll:

In other rumors, now the 49ers are apparently trying hard to trade for Cousins. :messedup:
haha, this is the rumor mongers super bowl :lol: