Joe Barry reportedly to be hired as DC

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

go pak go wrote:
09 Feb 2021 09:36
Yoop wrote:
09 Feb 2021 08:17
what exactly is it that you think we do now besides pressure with the front 4? seriously that is what we do on over 90% of our rushes, and we have been single gaping our DT's, go look up Clarks pass pressures, still we have to protect our ILB's, when we use a 5 man front someone has to drop or we have to large of spaces we can't protect.

what team isn't built around edge rushers? unless you have some really good DT's which are harder to find then good edge rushers thats how you have to do it.

people act as though excellent DT's are easy to come by, Thompson spent a half doz or more high picks on D lineman, mostly misses, and thats the average around the league, even top 10 have a near 50% bust rate or never play up to draft status.

everyone wants interior pass rush, problem is the ones that actually are good interior pass rushers are few and very expensive, they don't have to be as good as Aaron Donald, but they have to be better then the ones we have not named Clark.
Actually I think our DT//Interior Line hit rate was really good. Let's look at them the last 10 years of picks in the first 5 rounds.

1. BJ Raji - I would still call this a win. Even if it wasn't for long. That was more on BJ and his family.
2. Jerel Worhty - This was a miss. His injury didn't help. But it was a miss.
3. Mike Daniels - Definitely a hit
4. Khrie Thornton - Definitely a miss
5. Kenny Clark - Hit
6. Montravious Adams - Miss. Primarily due to injuries. He definitely flashed.
7. Kingsley Keke - I would call it a hit at the round value.

So we are looking at 3 DEFINITE hits. 1 Hit. 3 Misses.

I would say our DE's were much of the problem.
1. Nick Perry - He was more of edge. Definitely had talent. Just injuries and poor extension.
2. Datone Jones - Miss
3. Dean Lowry - I would say the value was fine. The contract extension was where the mistake was. Should have been about 75% of the value.
4. Rashan Gary - too early but it looks like a hit.

So we are likely lookin at above 50% for DE body types.

I think the Datone Jones , Jerel Worthy, Khyrie Thornton and NIck Perry selections just set this narrative too much because it all happened really in a two year span.
It was a mistake to draft a LB like Perry and have him play DE.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pugger wrote:
09 Feb 2021 09:42
go pak go wrote:
Yoop wrote:
what exactly is it that you think we do now besides pressure with the front 4? seriously that is what we do on over 90% of our rushes, and we have been single gaping our DT's, go look up Clarks pass pressures, still we have to protect our ILB's, when we use a 5 man front someone has to drop or we have to large of spaces we can't protect.

what team isn't built around edge rushers? unless you have some really good DT's which are harder to find then good edge rushers thats how you have to do it.

people act as though excellent DT's are easy to come by, Thompson spent a half doz or more high picks on D lineman, mostly misses, and thats the average around the league, even top 10 have a near 50% bust rate or never play up to draft status.

everyone wants interior pass rush, problem is the ones that actually are good interior pass rushers are few and very expensive, they don't have to be as good as Aaron Donald, but they have to be better then the ones we have not named Clark.
Actually I think our DT//Interior Line hit rate was really good. Let's look at them the last 10 years of picks in the first 5 rounds.

1. BJ Raji - I would still call this a win. Even if it wasn't for long. That was more on BJ and his family.
5. Kenny Clark - Hit

1. Nick Perry - He was more of edge. Definitely had talent. Just injuries and poor extension.
2. Datone Jones - Miss
3. Dean Lowry - I would say the value was fine. The contract extension was where the mistake was. Should have been about 75% of the value.

I think the Datone Jones , Jerel Worthy, Khyrie Thornton and NIck Perry selections just set this narrative too much because it all happened really in a two year span.
Pugger, Perry was a DE, he was not a lber, actually imo he was a 5 tech DE, perry was hurt his first season and I think that curtailed his progress, and I also think he was slacker, he gave max effort in his contract year and disappeared after that.

GPG, that 3.5 hits counting Lowery out of 8 players taken in round 1 and 2, thats not a good narative, it's less then a 20% success rate.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
09 Feb 2021 09:53
Pugger wrote:
go pak go wrote:

5. Kenny Clark - Hit

2. Datone Jones - Miss

Pugger, Perry was a DE, he was not a lber, actually imo he was a 5 tech DE, perry was hurt his first season and I think that curtailed his progress, and I also think he was slacker, he gave max effort in his contract year and disappeared after that.

GPG, that 3.5 hits counting Lowery out of 8 players taken in round 1 and 2, thats not a good narative, it's less then a 20% success rate.
If we are talking about DTs, which you were talking about, we are then 2 out of 3 in Rd 1 and 2.
If we are talking about DTs, we are 2 out of 4 hits in Rd 3 - Rd 5. I obviously MISS and 1 who showed flashes but could never stay healthy.

The whole point of my post is you said tackles. DE's is a different story. That we haven't done as well at but it's also because Ted just really sucked at drafting in 2012 and 2013.
Yoop wrote:

Last edited by go pak go on 09 Feb 2021 10:05, edited 1 time in total.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Last edited by go pak go on 09 Feb 2021 10:05, edited 1 time in total.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

go pak go wrote:
06 Feb 2021 19:11
Actually the 2007 Lions were pretty respectable until we beat them in the Thanksgiving game. I think they were like 7-2 going into that game and then finished the season like 7-9. Shaun Rogers for the Lions was a beast.
6-4. But really, can anyone name two defensive stars on the Lions in the last 10 years? Without looking it up? Other than Suh.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Raptorman wrote:
09 Feb 2021 10:05
go pak go wrote:
Actually the 2007 Lions were pretty respectable until we beat them in the Thanksgiving game. I think they were like 7-2 going into that game and then finished the season like 7-9. Shaun Rogers for the Lions was a beast.
6-4. But really, can anyone name two defensive stars on the Lions in the last 10 years? Without looking it up? Other than Suh.
Shaun Rogers and Darius Slay... but that might be about it.

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

NCF wrote:
09 Feb 2021 10:07
Raptorman wrote:
go pak go wrote:
They had a linebacker that was decent, don't remember his name. Was he from UW?
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

Hard to be a star DB when you have to face the best QB to ever play twice a year.

I speak of course of Jay Cutler.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Raji
Daniels
Clark

and we use DE's like Lowry like 3techs, actually my point was more about anyone that lines up on the los

Mathews
Gary

thats 5 ish blue, from 11 players in the first 3 rounds in 13 years,(memory) my point is good DL players don't grow on trees, right now we are in the best shape we have been in years, sure it would be great to find another guy to compliment Clark, but that guy wont be easy to find.

you can't expect any DC to scheme up interior pressure just using the interior lineman we have, sounds great to have 3 interior lineman to rush the passer, but it's a huge fail unless there successful, you just traded pass rush for coverage, and the best team in the league to get pressure this season did so at a less then 30% success rate, and they had 3 excellent Dt's to achieve that success ratio

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Pckfn23 wrote:
09 Feb 2021 10:19
NCF wrote:
Raptorman wrote:

DeAndre Levy? He was pretty good if I remember correctly. Also, I suppose we shouldn't leave out Ziggy. He was a star for a while and had his best years in Detroit.

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

NCF wrote:
09 Feb 2021 10:43
Pckfn23 wrote:
09 Feb 2021 10:19
NCF wrote:

DeAndre Levy? He was pretty good if I remember correctly. Also, I suppose we shouldn't leave out Ziggy. He was a star for a while and had his best years in Detroit.
Ya! That's it! He was goodish, but I probably only remember him because he was a Badger first.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Yoop wrote:
Pugger wrote:
go pak go wrote:

5. Kenny Clark - Hit

2. Datone Jones - Miss

:oops: I got that backwards. Perry played DE at USC and LBer in the NFL.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pugger wrote:
09 Feb 2021 11:19
And that's very common. Most of your 3-4 OLBs in the league were DE's in college because there is only like Georgia in College who plays a 3-4 system.
Yoop wrote:

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

NCF wrote:
Raptorman wrote:
go pak go wrote:
I can't believe Slay has been in the league that long. If so, that's pretty impressive. He's been a solid corner for quite some time.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

NCF wrote:
08 Feb 2021 18:22
go pak go wrote:
08 Feb 2021 18:12
Pckfn23 wrote:
08 Feb 2021 15:54

Third, is your 1 gap penetrating run defender. Basically step into a gap and get into the backfield. This disrupts timing and can stop a runner before they get going. The downside is that it can open up some huge creases. From a pass rush standpoint this is the best for transition from run defense to pass rush as the defender is already in the backfield with momentum.
Can a really good ILB help mitigate this risk because they have the ability to plug a crease/hole better to make up for the gash provided by the front 3 or 4 Dlinemen?
A really good ILB covers up a lot of things.
I guess the big question is, do the Packers consider ILB a important position? The fact they haven't drafted a ILB high since AJ Hawk. I guess you can count Burks [ trying to forget how big of a disappointment he's been ]

Have my fingers crossed that Berry will get the best out of Martin. I still believe he's has the most ability to become a top tier ILB. Don't think Pettine was ever going to get it out of him.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pugger wrote:
09 Feb 2021 11:19
Yoop wrote:
Pugger wrote:

haha, Perry was a DE, but posing as a lber, :lol: I know a lot of people ( Me) when thinking of a lber figure the guy can drop and play at least some zone, and preferably some man coverage too, but that hardly describes stiff hipped Nicky :rotf:

the advantage of a real lber like Mathews, is the ability to move them around, or drop them, if you want to line up with 5 man front, then some one has to be able to drop and cover, and it's nicer if ya have two so the offense doesn't know who it'll be each time, and they have some off ball skills, I like that versatility.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Perry was an alright pick. He had plenty of potential. Great at setting the edge. His problem was he was always hurt and usually had a club on. The colossal idiotic mistake was paying him big money on a long term deal after one season of good production. You franchise tag him on a one year deal and see if he can repeat but under no circumstances do you pay a long term deal to a one year wonder. That was beyond stupid to me. He never repeated his pay day year and was cut a few seasons later leaving us with a big dead cap hit.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Christo wrote:
09 Feb 2021 12:15
NCF wrote:
go pak go wrote:
08 Feb 2021 18:12

Can a really good ILB help mitigate this risk because they have the ability to plug a crease/hole better to make up for the gash provided by the front 3 or 4 Dlinemen?
I guess the big question is, do the Packers consider ILB a important position? The fact they haven't drafted a ILB high since AJ Hawk. I guess you can count Burks [ trying to forget how big of a disappointment he's been ]

Have my fingers crossed that Berry will get the best out of Martin. I still believe he's has the most ability to become a top tier ILB. Don't think Pettine was ever going to get it out of him.
It was reported the year Shazier and Mosley came out the Packers were going to take one of them until the Ravens took Mosley and a few picks later the Steelers took Shazier. The Packers were left with HHCD.

The Packers want elite athletes in the first round. They’ve shown that with most of their picks in recent history. You aren’t going to normally get those type of athletes at LB picking where the Packers normally pick. Stud athlete LBs go early and if they don’t something is wrong with them like Jaylon Smith or Mack from Jax.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Christo
Reactions:

Post by Christo »

lupedafiasco wrote:
09 Feb 2021 16:20
Christo wrote:
NCF wrote:

It was reported the year Shazier and Mosley came out the Packers were going to take one of them until the Ravens took Mosley and a few picks later the Steelers took Shazier. The Packers were left with HHCD.

The Packers want elite athletes in the first round. They’ve shown that with most of their picks in recent history. You aren’t going to normally get those type of athletes at LB picking where the Packers normally pick. Stud athlete LBs go early and if they don’t something is wrong with them like Jaylon Smith or Mack from Jax.
That's all probably true. Still don't believe they have ILB as a top priority. But with Barns and Martin, they're better off than they were a year ago.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Christo wrote:
09 Feb 2021 17:24
lupedafiasco wrote:
09 Feb 2021 16:20
Christo wrote:

That's all probably true. Still don't believe they have ILB as a top priority. But with Barns and Martin, they're better off than they were a year ago.
Maybe. I agree Barnes was impressive the in December and January.

But I am keeping my enthusiasm on our ILBs suppressed. Especially on Martin. We only liked him because of a few tweets in August. He is aggressive which we liked. But the dude was terrible. He has a loooong ways to go.
Yoop wrote: