Joe Barry reportedly to be hired as DC

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

Joe Barry reportedly to be hired as DC

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I wonder what happens with the rest of the staff.

Read More. Post Less.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

NCF wrote:
06 Feb 2021 16:22
I wonder what happens with the rest of the staff.
They lost a quality control coach to the Broncos. He'll be their new DB coach.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

paco wrote:
06 Feb 2021 16:39
Love that. A difference from the last 12 years!
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

paco wrote:
06 Feb 2021 17:15
I would not blame Joe Barry for "failing" in Detroit or Washington. Those clubs had no culture for achieving anything. I look at this as a breathe of fresh air ............. a fresh start for LaCoach's staff and the Green Bay Packers. Excuse me ............. Special Teams next please :thwap:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Actually the 2007 Lions were pretty respectable until we beat them in the Thanksgiving game. I think they were like 7-2 going into that game and then finished the season like 7-9. Shaun Rogers for the Lions was a beast.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Really excited and happy to hear that Barry is aggressive and downill.

I just think defensive mentality is the biggest thing we need to get better at.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

We better hope this guy had a talent issue as a DC before. In terms of yards he was last both times in Detroit and 28th both times in Washington. Looking at his stats they’re horrible.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Umm :? ... alright, if you say so.

Based on what I knew of him and the other potential candidates (which is F-all) I am pretty underwhelmed by this decision, but this is one of those decisions where I just patently do not have the kind of information LaFleur had.

I do think MLF has done well enough to warrant the benefit-of-the-doubt. And let's not forget, LaFleur and Hackett for that matter both seemed pretty underwhelming based on the units they had led. 'Only so much you can do as a coach with talent deficiencies, and both the Lions and WFT fielded some pretty talent-devoid rosters in the years Barry was there.

If nothing else, he has just about all the talent on D he could ask for to achieve his vision. CB room behind our star player is a bit weak, but everything is pretty good.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

kampmanfan4life
Reactions:

Post by kampmanfan4life »

Labrev wrote:
06 Feb 2021 21:06
And let's not forget, LaFleur and Hackett for that matter both seemed pretty underwhelming based on the units they had led. '
Also, McCarthy before we hired him was 30th in points and 32nd in yards.

Like others not super excited, but got to give him a fair chance. He does seem to have been under quite a few philosophies and hopefully is flexible to adapt his defenses to fit the teams strengths.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

:thwap:

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

I agree with everyone else. Not my first choice, but I acknowledge my expertise on this topic is near zero and MLF has definitely earned the benefit of the doubt. Obviously will be rooting for him hardcore.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Would be easier to get hyped by a sexier name, but like others have said, I have no idea what kinda coaching talent Barry really is. LaFleur has accumulated enough trust that I'll just wait with cautious optimism.

I do have to admit this is a prime chance for people to prematurely position themselves against the hire, just so they can reserve the option to say "I told you so" later...

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

This will not be Capers III. He has a reputation for being able to disguise his defenses well, at least last time with the Rams. And if we gained a DC who has disciplined units AND pulls tricks out of his hat, we’ll see stuff that we haven’t seen for too long.

Great LaChoice by LaFluer.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Labrev wrote:
06 Feb 2021 21:06
Umm :? ... alright, if you say so.

Based on what I knew of him and the other potential candidates (which is F-all) I am pretty underwhelmed by this decision, but this is one of those decisions where I just patently do not have the kind of information LaFleur had.

I do think MLF has done well enough to warrant the benefit-of-the-doubt. And let's not forget, LaFleur and Hackett for that matter both seemed pretty underwhelming based on the units they had led. 'Only so much you can do as a coach with talent deficiencies, and both the Lions and WFT fielded some pretty talent-devoid rosters in the years Barry was there.

If nothing else, he has just about all the talent on D he could ask for to achieve his vision. CB room behind our star player is a bit weak, but everything is pretty good.
This sums up this situation very nicely. Great post.
Yoop wrote: