Jordan Love Discussion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

BF004 wrote:
08 Nov 2021 09:46
As awesome as the D played yesterday, still unfortunate they couldn’t get a stop in 4:30 and give Jordan any kind of chance.

Could have made for an epic finish.
Maybe but doubtful. It is pretty clear he isn't Favre 1992 against the Bengals.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

The ST failures go far beyond 2 missed field goals and a muffed punt.

Where did the Packers start their drives: Typically inside their own 10 yard line. Why - Failure of the punt returner to be deep enough. So the ball is clearly going over his head and he has to backtrack to get it. Then he either catches it without any idea of what the punt coverage is or he lets it bounce and it does not go into the endzone. This is 90% on the ST coach. He should have told the punt returner where to be. It is his job to know the opposing punter and what his range is. Then, if the punter over-kicks the coverage, the punt returner should at least get 20 yards, putting the starting position at the 30 instead of the 10. That never happened.

Several times the Offense got 50+ yards in a drive and no score because when you start at your own 10 yard line, 50 yards is not even field goal range.

What is the % that any team with any QB gets points when they start inside their own 10. Pretty low. Yet that is consistently where Love and the Packers had to start.

In addition to the 2 missed field goals and the muff, the ST lost 100 yards in field position.

Say what you will about Love, but one way or another the Packers O got out of trouble and did not have to punt out of their own endzone. He did not turn the ball over either in those situations. It could have been much much worse.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

APB wrote:
08 Nov 2021 08:40
Fact is - and in line with the title of this thread - Love simply didn’t perform well in his opportunity. MLF didn’t suddenly become a terrible play-caller. The O-Line didn’t suddenly fall off a cliff.
But I mean... they did. 'Not saying Love was not disappointing in his own right, but MLF and OL were factors that arguably worsened his play.

I feel like a young starting QB needs at least B- OL play, C+ at worst, to fairly judge them. Our OL was like a D- in pass-pro (did a nice job run blocking, though, but MLF sadly got away from the working run game yet again).

This is not merely an idea expressed to defend Love or anything, it's just the conventional wisdom on how to put a young starting QB in a position to win. Some folks were debating whether solid OL play is even more important to a QB than receiving weapons (yoho v. yoop iirc).
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Labrev wrote:
08 Nov 2021 10:06
APB wrote:
08 Nov 2021 08:40
Fact is - and in line with the title of this thread - Love simply didn’t perform well in his opportunity. MLF didn’t suddenly become a terrible play-caller. The O-Line didn’t suddenly fall off a cliff.
But I mean... they did. 'Not saying Love was not disappointing in his own right, but MLF and OL were factors that arguably worsened his play.

I feel like a young starting QB needs at least B- OL play, C+ at worst, to fairly judge them. Our OL was like a D- in pass-pro (did a nice job run blocking, though, but MLF sadly got away from the working run game yet again).

This is not merely an idea expressed to defend Love or anything, it's just the conventional wisdom on how to put a young starting QB in a position to win. Some folks were debating whether solid OL play is even more important to a QB than receiving weapons (yoho v. yoop iirc).
I wonder how much this showcased exactly how much impact Rodgers has on directing the Oline pre-snap. Obviously Love isn't going to do that as much. Newman was particularly bad yesterday. Was he a bit more lost without Rodgers' direction? Hard to say. But Love will need a better performing line for a while before he gets more comfortable. Hopefully the line gets back to form with Bakhtiari in there. I hope Runyan moves to RG.
RIP JustJeff

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

paco wrote:
08 Nov 2021 09:45
Peter Bukowski is breaking down all of Jordan's passes from yesterday, the good and the bad. Worth it to follow him and see that.
Beat me to it. Here is the start of it. Click on it, read, watch, it will be worth your time:
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I will give a preview. It is no where near as bad as some want to believe. It isn't great, it isn't even good, but it isn't first 3 plays of the game saying this guy stinks or Gutekunst should off himself bad. There is definitely some promising things from last night. Even more than I expected to see.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I thought he got going in the 4th quarter. The interception interrupted everything, but down 13, I get the need to push it. Other than that he was sharp on his last two drives. I thought the 3rd down pass to Cobb was beautiful. Just a nice play by the DB.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

NCF wrote:
08 Nov 2021 11:44
I thought he got going in the 4th quarter. The interception interrupted everything, but down 13, I get the need to push it. Other than that he was sharp on his last two drives. I thought the 3rd down pass to Cobb was beautiful. Just a nice play by the DB.
That's what is frustrating about the STs mistakes. If this game was kept within a 1 score game, then pressing the ball wouldn't have been as big of a need. They also would have likely handed the ball off more to AJ.

It's just frustrating because the defense played so well to allow the offense to win this game. STs was so bad that they took themselves out of the game. I bet we attempt 2 more FGs once before the half and the other on the INT drive if Mason hits his first 2.

But because of their complete inadequacy, we felt we could never trust another FG attempt yesterday.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Sad part is that we were never too far out of it to stop running the ball. There was never a need to "press". 8 runs in a row combined with urgency getting up to the line would have been appropriate at any time outside of the very last drive.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Pckfn23 wrote:
08 Nov 2021 10:34
I will give a preview. It is no where near as bad as some want to believe. It isn't great, it isn't even good, but it isn't first 3 plays of the game saying this guy stinks or Gutekunst should off himself bad. There is definitely some promising things from last night. Even more than I expected to see.
I watched all the plays Bukowski posted during lunch, and yeah, it's not as bad as it looked live.

Some thoughts:
* We have no idea what Love did as far as protection calls, but his run/pass checks were good.
* Only one throw stands out as a horrible decision (to Dillon near left sideline).
* The one to Lewis where he scrambled in circles was super risky, but...young QB's do that stuff...I dunno how picky I want to be on that.
* Love can't throw off-platform like Rodgers (duh), but he seemed to stop trying that (mostly) in the 4th quarter.
* Again, I was disappointed in the pass blocking. Too many times there was a guy in his face.
* The one where he saw the HB screen was blown up and threw to Adams on the cross route was smart.
* The flutter ball to Cobb was ugly but a good read. We know Love can throw on the run in practice, but it didn't translate to the game.

At this point, I'm most concerned not with his decision-making, but with his footwork under pressure, and coupled with that, his accuracy. We've seen QB's with questions about accuracy succeed, so that's not a death sentence yet. All that to say: I'd have to see a lot more snaps to get a solid read on him.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

[mention]go pak go[/mention] You railed HARD against this one last night.

As a whole there were good throws, good decisions, not good throws, and not good decisions. I would say the former outweighed the latter, but there wasn't any WOW plays. For me the disappointed is more squarely with the offensive line and LaFleur than it is with Love. Some disappointed, yes.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Pckfn23 wrote:
08 Nov 2021 14:14

@go pak go You railed HARD against this one last night.

As a whole there were good throws, good decisions, not good throws, and not good decisions. I would say the former outweighed the latter, but there wasn't any WOW plays. For me the disappointed is more squarely with the offensive line and LaFleur than it is with Love. Some disappointed, yes.
Yeah. I wish they would have done the Cobb one instead on the left slot side. He wasn't wide open, but the middle of the field was open and Cobb beat the inside coverage. I think he threw to Adams on the right sideline. I was more upset about that one. FOX at the time yesterday did a bad job showing what was happening in the pocket during the Lazard play.

I just didn't understand why they didn't do more slants yesterday with how open the middle of the field was. A 2007 esque MM offense actually would have worked well I believe.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

The stadium must have been REALLY loud because you can see our Tackles got SMOKED all the time yesterday. The Chiefs D Ends got such good jumps on the snap.
Yoop wrote:

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

LOL Love was bad against a terrible defence.

All the same Rodgers haters defending play that would have Rodgers hanged in the forum.

That play to Lazard was a dumb read by Love. Middle of the field open, route runs under Cobb .. he will be open. But Love gets scared and throws a ball on a route he can't hit.

The long ball to cobb was literally a prayer. They then did same plays he connected on which MLF took decision making away and said hit these quick routes.

The guy was not good. His problem in college was reading Def and handling pressure. Still his problem.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

go pak go wrote:
08 Nov 2021 14:25
The stadium must have been REALLY loud because you can see our Tackles got SMOKED all the time yesterday. The Chiefs D Ends got such good jumps on the snap.
The tackles were fine. Love has no pocket movement. He can't resettle in the pocket. Once he moves off the drop it's bootleg.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

The "Chiefs have a bad defense" doesn't really matter here because of the game the Chiefs played.

What matters is MLF sucked at finding the right plays to beat their cover zero blitzing and the Oline and Love sucked at executing the plan.

But the Chiefs defense doesn't really matter here.
Yoop wrote:

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

paco wrote:
08 Nov 2021 09:20
wallyuwl wrote:
08 Nov 2021 09:17
paco wrote:
08 Nov 2021 09:12

Still...The Packers starting QB in 2022 will be Jordan Love. Not Aaron Rodgers. Come to terms with it and move forward. The decision has been made and it's not changing outside of a bad injury to Love. Rodgers will be on another team or retired.
I wouldn't be so sure of that after Love's performance yesterday. If he would have played well, yes. AR was the big winner yesterday.
Very little will change my mind that Rodgers is gone after this year. Even if we Love plays every game from here on out and looks the same.
If that happens then there will be a good chance that BG will be relieved of his duties. In that case, the first order of business for a new GM might be to resign Aaron Rodgers.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

go pak go wrote:
08 Nov 2021 15:03
The "Chiefs have a bad defense" doesn't really matter here because of the game the Chiefs played.

What matters is MLF sucked at finding the right plays to beat their cover zero blitzing and the Oline and Love sucked at executing the plan.

But the Chiefs defense doesn't really matter here.
Don't feed into it. It very much shows how little some know about football and how little objectivity they have.

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

Favre - you could tell he was special right away.

Rodgers - His 1st preseason he looked horrible. It wasn’t until his 3rd year where he he finally showed something.

Love - Basically a redshirted rookie year. He has played 2 preseason games, a few minutes of garbage time and 1 NFL Start. It’s too soon to tell.

Heck of a play Love made to Mercedes Lewis even though it resulted in a loss.

LaFleur didn’t come up with an answer to the blitz. Empty backfields, long developing routes, and not enough use of the RBs out of the backfield (pass plays). Love was getting killed.

We’ll have to see if Love learned anything from this game…not sure when he’ll get a chance to play again though.
Love is the answer…