General Packers News 2020

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

By that logic then if we would have gotten a DT in either draft he would have had to play them right?
Cancelled by the forum elites.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

lupedafiasco wrote:
07 Oct 2020 10:34
By that logic then if we would have gotten a DT in either draft he would have had to play them right?
Maybe?

I mean, Barnes made it in for 15 snaps in game one after everyone else kinda got hurt/stunk. I'm not super sure though.

I mean, yeah, probably a 1st rounder. But a 2nd or 3rd? Who knows.

I just get the sense that MLF has very little interest in rookie mistakes and will exhaust all other opportunities before putting a rookie out there, at least slightly more than a normal coach

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I just think we played savage bc we needed to and helped us even tho he wasn’t perfect and a rookie. I wager a simmons or raekwon Davis help us almost immediately or at least in year two just as much compared to what Lowry gives us. I think the safety situation is very similar to one of the positions that play next to Kenny.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
07 Oct 2020 10:28
The benefit of injury is it forces hands. We already had a rookie take the green dot from Summers on Monday.

Barnes had the communications helmet Monday Night. Kirksey is likely out for a while and they won't push brining Kirksey back if Barnes and Summers play well. At this point I have no idea on Kamal. I figured we wouldn't see him until around Halloween anyways.

I hard Barnes hurt himself on his awesome defended play to know the ball away from Savage. We have no word on his injury. Really, really hope it is not serious.
Do we know why they're committed to an ILB with the green dot? Can't a safety like Amos do it rather than a rookie? I mean, Barnes was known to have football IQ, and it's been obvious even as a rookie, but it seems shoddy having the communicator come from our thinnest, weakest, most up-in-the-air spot on defense

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

YoHoChecko wrote:
07 Oct 2020 10:39
Do we know why they're committed to an ILB with the green dot?
I believe it has to do with positioning- and most/all teams do it that way. Amos and safeties are often too far away from DL and LBs for them to hear the calls. If Amos needs to be in a 2-deep shell - then he can't be near the LOS during all of the calls/shifts that happen pre-snap.
IT. IS. TIME

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Mmmmmmmmhmmm

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

BF004 wrote:
07 Oct 2020 11:17
Mmmmmmmmhmmm
Snacks has already tasted bitter playoff defeat at Lambeau, happy to offer him a second serving

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 080gnb.htm
IT. IS. TIME

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

BSA wrote:
07 Oct 2020 10:45
YoHoChecko wrote:
07 Oct 2020 10:39
Do we know why they're committed to an ILB with the green dot?
I believe it has to do with positioning- and most/all teams do it that way. Amos and safeties are often too far away from DL and LBs for them to hear the calls. If Amos needs to be in a 2-deep shell - then he can't be near the LOS during all of the calls/shifts that happen pre-snap.
Yup. This is why.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

We haven't talked about this much for some reason. Adams has a year left. We generally don't give out 3rd-contracts to WR's. But, Adams is a bit younger than other guys we have had and signing him to another extension could potentially save us some big money next year. Do we do it?

Read More. Post Less.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Big Bob Tonyan, former basketball star.
RIP JustJeff

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

The Packers cap is about to get tricky. I think they need to do a little mini purge this year in order to keep some key components. They’ll eat some dead cap but like I said last year with Graham, that’s the price you gotta pay for doing stupid &%$@.

They need to get out of the Preston Smith deal. Normally I would be fine with keeping it one more year but the moment they draft Gary they needed to find a way out of that deal.

They need to get out of the Dean Lowry deal. He’s just not living up to his level of play and in all honesty he really shouldn’t be starting. He looks like a rotational guy you maybe bring in on passing downs with his length provided you have some serious talent around him.

Turner or Wagner must go. Both are getting starters money. I think Wagner is better but the bigger dead money is on Turner but Wagner has an injury history and is significantly older. You probably keep Turner as much as I hate to admit it.

You’ve gotta get Kirksey outta here. It saves 6 million and he’s clearly finished. His bodies failing him and we’ve got younger guys that miss tackles just as well as he does.

All in all you eat 15 million in dead cap. Not ideal but the price you pay for being an idiot. They save 21.5 mil. They currently are scheduled to have 4 mil in space but the 7 mil rollover from this season puts them then at about 32 mil. The next season you get back that 15 mil in dead cap that can be used to keep Alexander and pay for Alexander’s 5th year option.

It’s my belief the Packers need to find a way to keep Bak. He’s the best LT in all of football. We have an aging QB. That is something you don’t let go. Aaron Jones has really been the consistent piece of the offense. He goes whether Adams is in there or not in the run game and pass. I was previously for letting him walk but he might be too valuable.

The rest you let go this offseason. King has been to inconsistent and unavailable to pay IMO. You have depth at CB to at least lessen the blow and likely you’ll have to spend high to maintain this position group. Linsley has been great but you can’t pay everyone. The Packers have options on the interior whether that’s Patrick or Jenkins sliding to center and Runyan to guard or maybe a mid round pick. You can’t keep Williams with Dillon on the roster and the cap being as it is. You don’t keep Taylor after back to back injuries and it’s time to move in from Lewis if he doesn’t retire.

The Packers have a ton of restricted free agents coming out this year which is awesome because they come cheap.

The best thing the Packers could possibly do is maybe tag and trade King. I think a sucker would pay a 3rd round pick for him. I wouldn’t be opposed to tagging and trading Jones but I can’t see that happening unless it was a really poorly run team. Most teams don’t believe in paying for RBs but trading for one and then paying him big money would be like paying to pass rushers big money for 4 years and then drafting another pass rusher at 12th overall to play on the bench. That would be really stupid.
Last edited by lupedafiasco on 07 Oct 2020 13:12, edited 1 time in total.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

NCF wrote:
07 Oct 2020 12:21
We haven't talked about this much for some reason. Adams has a year left. We generally don't give out 3rd-contracts to WR's. But, Adams is a bit younger than other guys we have had and signing him to another extension could potentially save us some big money next year. Do we do it?

I think it really depends on Rodgers, and obviously other contracts. If Rodgers is destined to be out the door sooner rather than later, I could see Adams wanting to pursue other opportunities. And depending on what we do with guys like Jones and Bakh, I expect that will play into Adams' plans.

I think it's harder to find that #1 receiver than most think. A true top 5 guy. Adams is that. I think he's worthy of another deal.
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

lupedafiasco wrote:
07 Oct 2020 13:09
The Packers cap is about to get tricky. I think they need to do a little mini purge this year in order to keep some key components. They’ll eat some dead cap but like I said last year with Graham, that’s the price you gotta pay for doing stupid &%$@.

They need to get out of the Preston Smith deal. Normally I would be fine with keeping it one more year but the moment they draft Gary they needed to find a way out of that deal.

They need to get out of the Dean Lowry deal. He’s just not living up to his level of play and in all honesty he really shouldn’t be starting. He looks like a rotational guy you maybe bring in on passing downs with his length provided you have some serious talent around him.

Turner or Wagner must go. Both are getting starters money. I think Wagner is better but the bigger dead money is on Turner but Wagner has an injury history and is significantly older. You probably keep Turner as much as I hate to admit it.

You’ve gotta get Kirksey outta here. It saves 6 million and he’s clearly finished. His bodies failing him and we’ve got younger guys that miss tackles just as well as he does.

All in all you eat 15 million in dead cap. Not ideal but the price you pay for being an idiot. They save 21.5 mil. They currently are scheduled to have 4 mil in space but the 7 mil rollover from this season puts them then at about 32 mil. The next season you get back that 15 mil in dead cap that can be used to keep Alexander and pay for Alexander’s 5th year option.

It’s my belief the Packers need to find a way to keep Bak. He’s the best LT in all of football. We have an aging QB. That is something you don’t let go. Aaron Jones has really been the consistent piece of the offense. He goes whether Adams is in there or not in the run game and pass. I was previously for letting him walk but he might be too valuable.

The rest you let go this offseason. King has been to inconsistent and unavailable to pay IMO. You have depth at CB to at least lessen the blow and likely you’ll have to spend high to maintain this position group. Linsley has been great but you can’t pay everyone. The Packers have options on the interior whether that’s Patrick or Jenkins sliding to center and Runyan to guard or maybe a mid round pick. You can’t keep Williams with Dillon on the roster and the cap being as it is. You don’t keep Taylor after back to back injuries and it’s time to move in from Lewis if he doesn’t retire.

The Packers have a ton of restricted free agents coming out this year which is awesome because they come cheap.

The best thing the Packers could possibly do is maybe tag and trade King. I think a sucker would pay a 3rd round pick for him. I wouldn’t be opposed to tagging and trading Jones but I can’t see that happening unless it was a really poorly run team. Most teams don’t believe in paying for RBs but trading for one and then paying him big money would be like paying to pass rushers big money for 4 years and then drafting another pass rusher at 12th overall to play on the bench. That would be really stupid.
Generally, I agree.

I want Adams back, both short and long-term. I want Bak and Jones back. Kevin King and Corey Linsley, its tough, but I let walk. Everything else is middle/bottom of the roster stuff where finances should dictate our course.

Read More. Post Less.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

go pak go wrote:
07 Oct 2020 10:28
I hard Barnes hurt himself on his awesome defended play to know the ball away from Savage. We have no word on his injury. Really, really hope it is not serious.
I heard it was just a stinger
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Places to create 2021 cap space:

Releasing:
Rick Wagner - 4.25
Christian Kirksey - 6.0
Preston Smith - 8.0 million
Billy Turner - 3.55 (Not enough savings to get rid of him, imo)
Dean Lowry - 3.3 million (I really think he's worth keeping for that)
Adrian Amon - 4.55 (playing definitely well enough to keep for that)

Restructure/Extend:
Za'Darius Smith - 9.5 million base salary, could probably add another year or two on this deal and lower his cap 2021 cap hit by ~5
Davante Adams - 12 million base salary, could maybe save 5-7 million towards 2021 with an extension.

Currently about 6 million over the cap next estimate of 176 million, I really don't think they will leave the cap unchanged, I think they will eventually increase it some and spread out these losses. It is 192.2 million this year.

So I'm guessing they will add $10 million to the cap (pulling from future years. Gives us about 16 million then.

I would release Wagner, Kirksey and Smith, adding 18.25 million to the cap. I would also extend Davante freeing up another 5 million.

In this scenario, we'd have almost 40 million to allocate to the 2021 cap. That would be enough for Bak, Jones, Linsley and King, to be honest.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Preston Smith would make sense as a trade candidate honestly. He has played poorly the first 4 games but he had great film to show in 2019.

He is a great financial contract for whoever trades for him because we are eating the cap on it so we could get pretty good compensation for Preston Smith. Especially if he plays well these last 12 games.

Honestly our pass rusher move could really work out as long as they all play well. Hopefully they bring more production after the bye.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I think people in packerland in general and on this forum specifically are too concerned about the cap and the prospects moving forward.

We cannot keep everyone, and that will be fine. We can keep enough people to keep winning and we can replace/are already replacing some of the people we will lose.

I dunno, I love thinking about contracts and the cap as much as the next guy, but we're 4-0 and have a whole thread on how much fun it is, and the forum is constantly trying to mentally cut people in advance and kvetching about next season. :idn:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
07 Oct 2020 14:58
I think people in packerland in general and on this forum specifically are too concerned about the cap and the prospects moving forward.

We cannot keep everyone, and that will be fine. We can keep enough people to keep winning and we can replace/are already replacing some of the people we will lose.

I dunno, I love thinking about contracts and the cap as much as the next guy, but we're 4-0 and have a whole thread on how much fun it is, and the forum is constantly trying to mentally cut people in advance and kvetching about next season. :idn:
I am more concerned with keeping the two guys everyone else says we cannot keep.

Read More. Post Less.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

YoHoChecko wrote:
07 Oct 2020 14:58

It is because they are bored with winning YoHo! Spoiled fans! :lol:

These contracts are always on my mind as well. Every game I think of how Jaire's price tag is going up, what to do with AJones, does Preston stick, etc. It is alright to discuss, but too many people don't live in the moment.
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Packfntk wrote:
07 Oct 2020 15:06
Every game I think of how Jaire's price tag is going up
Yeah, he is going to be expensive, but that bill isn't coming due for a bit, yet. We do have the 5th-year option for him and franchise tag available, so I think we have a fair amount of leverage to wait him out unless he decides to hold out.

Read More. Post Less.