Week 8 Post Game: Vikings ∞, Packers 10

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Drj820 wrote:
29 Oct 2023 23:23
It’s time for the final holdouts to admit the truth: Aaron Rodgers was a good football player.
Sure as a football player. I even have one of Aaron Rodgers' autographs on a Super Bowl XLV mini-helmet.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

6: Number of dropped passes

Matt LaFleur said postgame that initially, he thought the Green Bay Packers pass catchers had six dropped balls. LaFleur then added, “That’s going to be tough to overcome.” Two of the drops came on the first two drives of the game, one by Aaron Jones and the other by Luke Musgrave, that would have helped move the chains, but instead, the Packers ended up punting and didn’t pick up their first first-down until about the four-minute mark of the second quarter. When an offense isn’t able to move the chains, they can never truly get into their offense and implement what they’ve worked on all week. Another drop came in the red zone in the fourth quarter by Dontayvion Wicks. In addition to the dropped passes, Jayden Reed had a contested catch taken away from him, while Christian Watson had one knocked away in the red zone. Overall, the Packers pass catchers were 0-for-7 in contested catch situations. Of course, there are areas where Jordan Love has to be better, but between the drops, the inability to make contested catches, and the number of wrong routes ran this year, the pass catchers have to provide him with some help as well.

“There’s going to be a couple plays that you want back,” said Matt LaFleur post-game, “but also we’ve got to make some plays for him, too. I think we had like six dropped balls. That’s going to be tough to overcome. We’ve got to throw it better, we have to catch it better, we have to block better and we have to stop having penalties that knock us back and put us in these obvious pass situations. We have to find a way to convert a third down early in the game so you can run your offense.”

11: Number of penalties on the Packers

Through the first three games, penalties were an issue for the Packers. It looked like this issue had been corrected against Detroit and Las Vegas, but it has again reared its ugly head the last two weeks. Against Minnesota specifically, the Packers were penalized 11 times, totaling 99 yards, and they happened in all three phases. On special teams, it gave the Vikings better field position. Defensively, these penalties helped extend drives for Minnesota. While on offense, it either negated a rare positive play or put them behind the sticks in long down-and-distance situations, which have spelled doom for this unit all season.

Third down efficiency, or lack thereof

One offense was able to move the chains on third downs, and the other was not. I’ll let you guess who was who. Green Bay converted only 5 of their 14 third down attempts and were just 1-for-4 on fourth downs. As previously mentioned, this is in large part a product of early down struggles putting the offense in long down-and-distances. When in an obvious passing situation, the defense has the advantage from a pass rush and overall matchup standpoint, they can pay much more aggressively, and there are only so many rotues that can be dialed up in these instances. The Green Bay passing game also isn’t anywhere near consistent enough to shoulder the burden of having to move the ball in these predictable passing downs. Conversely, the Vikings’ offense was excellent on third downs, moving the chains on 10 of their 18 attempts. For some context, that is a success rate of 55 percent, and the league-high right now is 50 percent. In an effort by the Green Bay defense to keep everything in front of them, on many of these third downs, they provided way too much cushion, allowing for easy completions at or near the first down marker and YAC opportunities for the Vikings pass catchers. In general, it’s not as if there were a ton of downfield shot plays by Minnesota, but KJ Osborn, TJ Hockenson, and Jordan Addison all totaled 80-plus receiving yards by getting the ball on intermediate routes in space.

1-for-4 in the red zone

Even though the Green Bay Packers couldn’t sniff a first down for much of the first half with another second-half charge, they were able to find the red zone four times on Sunday. However, they converted only one of those opportunities into a touchdown, finishing the day 1-for-4. The defense and special teams unit gave them two opportunities late to make it a one-score game, but the offense was unable to capitalize. There was the aforementioned dropped pass by Wicks and a failed contested catch by Watson. The run game wasn’t able to get going on Sunday, so when trying to run in the red zone, it left them in those devastating, obvious passing situations. At the end of the game, time also wasn’t on Green Bay’s side. Solely trying to move the ball through the air in the red zone is a difficult task, given that this is a condensed part of the field, which means there is even less space for an offense to operate within.

“I know that we had a critical drop going in with an opportunity to cut it to a one-possession game,” said LaFleur. “If we get down there to the one-yard line, we try to run it in and that wasn’t working. We’ve got to go back to the drawing board and I’ve got to take a look at the tape and try to find out some better answers for our guys, because whatever we’re doing is not working.”

3 sacks and 8 QB hits

A massive key to this game for the Green Bay defense was going to be pressuring Kirk Cousins. In total, the Packers finished with three sacks and eight quarterback hits, although several of those came late in the game when it was ultimately too little too late. When Cousins has time in the pocket, he is one of the most efficient in football. Even when there is pressure in his face, which the Packers were able to generate at times, Cousins still handles it well. Collapsing the pocket wasn’t going to be enough against Cousisns, but rather, the Packers needed to get him off his spot, which they were unable to consistently do. Cousins finished the game 23-for-31 for 274 yards with two touchdowns while averaging 8.8 yards per attempt.

2: Yards per carry allowed by Green Bay

A bright spot in this game, believe it or not, was the Packers’ run defense–although I’ll also mention that the Vikings came into the game averaging only 3.9 yards per rush on the ground. Excluding the four carries by Cousins and Jaren Hall that totaled eight yards, Green Bay allowed just 54 rushing yards on 27 carries. Minnesota logged just one explosive run of 10 yards. The edge rushers did a very good job of not letting the ball carriers get outside, and the interior defensive line clogged things up between the tackles. I thought TJ Slaton, in particular, had an impressive day. This played a role in Minnesota being in a lot of third-down situations, many of which with five or more yards needed to convert, but the lack of pressure and pass defense was unable to come through.

46: Total yards for Aaron Jones

Matt LaFleur said on Friday that Aaron Jones was still not 100 percent as he works his way back from that hamstring injury. In total, he had just 11 touches, four through the air and seven on the ground, but no big plays were created. Jones averaged just 4.1 yards per carry on the ground and just over four yards per catch. As good and as dynamic as Jones can be, as we’ve seen the Packers problems go much deeper than what he can dig them out of. The offensive line is not creating consistent running lanes and defenses are frequently crowding the line of scrimmage because they don’t fear the deep ball, which means less space for players, especially the running backs, to operate in on shorter area throws, limiting their YAC potential.
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/lists/ ... s-vikings/
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Drj820 wrote:
29 Oct 2023 23:23
It’s time for the final holdouts to admit the truth: Aaron Rodgers was a good football player.
Of course he was/is a good football player. He will most likely go down as the most talented QB to ever wear green and gold. But to compare him and his accomplishments and experience to rag on a first year starter isn't really fair to Love. Love hasn't been playing well but he isn't the only one stinking out the joint on either side of the ball.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Officially, because defensive penalties don’t count in the stats, the Vikings were credited with six third-and-long conversions. That wasn’t just the most in the league this week. It’s the most by any team in the league this season.
https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/on- ... up-packers
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Grades!

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/lists/ ... s-vikings/
Top 5's

1. LG Elgton Jenkins: 76.5
2. RT Zach Tom: 68.4
3. RB A.J. Dillon: 64.2
4. QB Jordan Love: 63.7
5. WR Dontayvion Wicks: 63.4

1. OLB Preston Smith: 92.8
2. DL Devonte Wyatt: 89.6
3. DL TJ Slaton: 82.3
4. LB De’Vondre Campbell: 78.8
5. DL Colby Wooden: 75.7

Bottom 5's

1. TE Josiah Deguara: 40.9
2. TE Tucker Kraft: 41.0
3. LT Rasheed Walker: 53.0
4. RB Aaron Jones: 54.2
5. C Josh Myers: 54.6

1. DL Karl Brooks: 41.2
2. CB Rasul Douglas: 47.4
3. OLB Rashan Gary: 50.4
4. S Jonathan Owens: 54.2
5. CB Jaire Alexander: 55.0

Karl Brooks earned the top special teams grade after blocking a field goal in the second half. Tucker Kraft, Corey Ballentine and Carrington Valentine had special teams tackles, but Ballentine was flagged for a false start and Valentine missed a tackle. Veteran Eric Wilson also missed a tackle and had a holding penalty.

Daniel Whelan earned his lowest punting grade of the season; three of his four punts were returned.
The BS calls on Gary and Owens dropped their grades.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

I had no idea we had a blocked field goal. I assume that was in the 3rd Q? I missed a chunk of it and never went back and watched.
RIP JustJeff

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

paco wrote:
30 Oct 2023 14:06
I had no idea we had a blocked field goal. I assume that was in the 3rd Q? I missed a chunk of it and never went back and watched.
FOX did a great job of showing it. When we blocked the FG and Owen caught it...FOX showed a camera view of Kevin O'Connel.

It was top notch sports coverage. Honestly thought Owen had a shot at taking it to the house when he caught it.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Pckfn23 wrote:
30 Oct 2023 12:22

The more I watch this the more idiotic this is. Single high safety over man with 3 "zone" defenders who don't drop into a zone, but look like they are spying Cousins as if he is the second coming of Michael Vick... Preston Smith and Gary drops 2 yards back into some weird shallow slant/crosser zone. Walker and Campbell are up top. Campbell manning up Cam Akers. Walker dropping into what is essentially the same zone as Gary. Jaire playing man on their #1 up top. All 3 are on the same level which invites routes that pick each other. At the bottom, it looks like what I would call Stab and Rail. The press man defender is manned up on Hockenson and needs to jam him on the line. The over 2 defenders are playing a match man coverage on the #1 and #2. Powell, the #2 receive completely lays out I assume Douglas, which in itself is a penalty. This leaves Hock wide open and Nixon having to cover for Rasul who got leveled. The whole coverage and pass rush just doesn't make a lot of structural sense.
We ran this exact same play I think it was broncos passing to reed.

This is a good ball from cousins ours was a late bad ball to reed. Really interesting to see the difference in well run play vs poorly executed.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

bud fox wrote:
30 Oct 2023 14:30
Pckfn23 wrote:

The more I watch this the more idiotic this is. Single high safety over man with 3 "zone" defenders who don't drop into a zone, but look like they are spying Cousins as if he is the second coming of Michael Vick... Preston Smith and Gary drops 2 yards back into some weird shallow slant/crosser zone. Walker and Campbell are up top. Campbell manning up Cam Akers. Walker dropping into what is essentially the same zone as Gary. Jaire playing man on their #1 up top. All 3 are on the same level which invites routes that pick each other. At the bottom, it looks like what I would call Stab and Rail. The press man defender is manned up on Hockenson and needs to jam him on the line. The over 2 defenders are playing a match man coverage on the #1 and #2. Powell, the #2 receive completely lays out I assume Douglas, which in itself is a penalty. This leaves Hock wide open and Nixon having to cover for Rasul who got leveled. The whole coverage and pass rush just doesn't make a lot of structural sense.

This is a good ball from cousins ours was a late bad ball to reed. Really interesting to see the difference in well run play vs poorly executed.
We didn't run this exact same play to Reed and the defense the Broncos played was far different. There is plenty to hit Love on, so no need to fabricate things.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Pckfn23 wrote:
30 Oct 2023 14:55
bud fox wrote:
30 Oct 2023 14:30
Pckfn23 wrote:

We didn't run this exact same play to Reed and the defense the Broncos played was far different. There is plenty to hit Love on, so no need to fabricate things.
Yes we did ... they had a slightly tighter formation but it was the same.

330 - difference is Cousins throws early and to the right spot.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

bud fox wrote:
30 Oct 2023 15:05

Not even $%@# close to the EXACT SAME PLAY. The formation isn't even remotely the same. For starters we have a back in the backfield, the Vikings did not. The Vikigngs were in a bunch, the Packers are not.

Holy hell stop making things up. There is plenty else to critique... :roll:

Even with that, you $%@# fail HARD in not mentioning that their WR laid OUT our DB, and Watson didn't do &%$@ to impede the Broncos DB. Convenient.

Each play where the #3 is 5 yards down the field:
image.png
image.png (78.78 KiB) Viewed 3860 times
image.png
image.png (81.47 KiB) Viewed 3860 times
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 30 Oct 2023 15:34, edited 1 time in total.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
30 Oct 2023 14:11
paco wrote:
30 Oct 2023 14:06
FOX did a great job of showing it. When we blocked the FG and Owen caught it...FOX showed a camera view of Kevin O'Connel.

It was top notch sports coverage. Honestly thought Owen had a shot at taking it to the house when he caught it.
at the time I considered it a high point of the season so far for teams play, I also thought Owens might go to the house with it.

to bad the offense didn't score some points.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Pckfn23 wrote:
30 Oct 2023 15:25
bud fox wrote:
30 Oct 2023 15:05

Not even $%@# close to the EXACT SAME PLAY. The formation isn't even remotely the same. For starters we have a back in the backfield, the Vikings did not. The Vikigngs were in a bunch, the Packers are not.

Holy hell stop making things up. There is plenty else to critique... :roll:

Even with that, you $%@# fail HARD in not mentioning that their WR laid OUT our DB, and Watson didn't do &%$@ impede the Broncos DB. Convenient.

Each play where the #3 is 5 yards down the field:
image.png
image.png
Lol they run a wheel from inside slot with 2 outside receivers running blocks.

Backfi3ld is cosmetic.

Sorry buddy what you are seeing is a qb who knows timing and ball spot on the exact same route and basically same play minus cosmetic differ3nces. Intention on the play is to go to the wheel.

Now I will do my 23 version of trying to convince others I'm right when I'm wrong ... hahahaha you crazy it's the same play hahahaja idiot -insert useless distracting comment like qb has red hair- hahaha :woohoo: :kaboom:

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

bud fox wrote:
30 Oct 2023 15:37
basically same play
Oh, I thought you said it was the EXACT same play. You changing your tune now that you are called out for fabricating something. Calling the differences cosmetic is funny and does show a SEVERE lack of understanding. For example, the bunch formation by the Vikings makes it much easier for the WR to pick the DB. Not cosmetic.

What about the execution of their #1 picking the DB compared to ours? You shouldn't be ignoring that, but you are.

You are right, the intention is to go to the wheel the Vikings' execution to get the wheel open was FAR better. That's the difference in those 2 plays, not the QB.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Pckfn23 wrote:
30 Oct 2023 15:46
bud fox wrote:
basically same play
Oh, I thought you said it was the EXACT same play. You changing your tune now that you are called out for fabricating something.

What about the execution of their #1 picking the DB compared to ours? You shouldn't be ignoring that, but you are.

You are right, the intention is to go to the wheel the Vikings' execution to get the wheel open was FAR better. That's the difference in those 2 plays, not the QB.
It is the same concept and pretty close to same design. The players probably lined up incorrectly.

The pick was poor by Watson but reed got separation. Love had to throw earlier and back shoulder like cousins. Reception was there.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

bud fox wrote:
30 Oct 2023 15:49
Pckfn23 wrote:
bud fox wrote:
basically same play
Oh, I thought you said it was the EXACT same play. You changing your tune now that you are called out for fabricating something.

It is the same concept and pretty close to same design. The players probably lined up incorrectly.

The pick was poor by Watson but reed got separation. Love had to throw earlier and back shoulder like cousins. Reception was there.
Also if you can't see what Love did wrong on the play there will never be any convincing. Considering you would destroy Rodgers for pages in game threads for a pass one inch off.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

bud fox wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
bud fox wrote:
basically same play

Making more things up claiming that they players probably lined up incorrectly... Ha! All 3 of them? That would just be more reason why the play was $%@# by the execution other than the QB.

Just say you were wrong. It is not the exact same play and the execution by Watson was &%$@ compared to the Vikings' WR. There is very little separation as there is no pick what so ever.

Give this one up because you are looking silly here. Find a new play to criticize Love, he has his fair share. A handful yesterday even.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

bud fox wrote:
30 Oct 2023 15:54
bud fox wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

Also if you can't see what Love did wrong on the play there will never be any convincing. Considering you would destroy Rodgers for pages in game threads for a pass one inch off.
I've said plenty of times Love isn't playing well. You just want to ignore that. I am railing against this one play comparison because it is completely made up.

And there it is. The Rodgers crying. Move on.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Pckfn23 wrote:
bud fox wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:

Making more things up claiming that they players probably lined up incorrectly... Ha! All 3 of them? That would just be more reason why the play was $%@# by the execution other than the QB.

Just say you were wrong. It is not the exact same play and the execution by Watson was &%$@ compared to the Vikings' WR. There is very little separation as there is no pick what so ever.

Give this one up because you are looking silly here. Find a new play to criticize Love, he has his fair share. A handful yesterday even.
Lol I am 100% right. Who cares how they lined up. It is still inside wr with outside running pick. 3 receivers to the left. Both running wheels.

The concept is the exact same and Love played it crap and cousins played it right. Surtain got caught up behind his own player. Cousins went early back shoulder as design. Love went late and inside.

You are insufferable.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Pckfn23 wrote:
30 Oct 2023 15:56
bud fox wrote:
bud fox wrote:

I've said plenty of times Love isn't playing well. You just want to ignore that. I am railing against this one play comparison because it is completely made up.

And there it is. The Rodgers crying. Move on.
You are rhe guy that thought Rodgers was the problem. Why would anyone listen to the garbage you write.

You thought Rodgers was the problem.

You think Love is good.

The only thing your opinion is good for is to make me feel smarter. I do value that though.