Smoking Meat Thread

Cheesy topics (like the Cheese Curds thread) go here. Topics that aren't Packer related will be moved here as well.

Mmmm.... cheese.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

kampmanfan4life
Reactions:

Post by kampmanfan4life »

Looking at creating our wedding registry and It got me to looking at grills. We will leaving our apartment and hope to purchase a house around December and I can't wait to get grilling.

I'm mostly looking at just grilling hamburgers and steaks and whatever, but could for sure see myself getting into smoking meat. Are the meat smokers that are separate from the grills the best rout to go? Or do the grill/smoker combos work well? If just grilling I am still debating charcoal grill vs gas too. Any suggestions on this?

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

kampmanfan4life wrote:
10 Apr 2021 10:27
Are the meat smokers that are separate from the grills the best rout to go? Or do the grill/smoker combos work well? If just grilling I am still debating charcoal grill vs gas too. Any suggestions on this?
It depends how hands on/hands off you want to be. Technically, you can smoke anything on a gas or charcoal grill, but have to babysit your temps very, very closely. Tough for me to give a suggestion on gas vs charcoal because I have both and use both frequently. All depends on the flavor and convenience factor I want. Gas more temperature precise. Charcoal more cook by feel and eye. If I had to get rid of one, I think it would be charcoal just because there are times when I want to throw something on the grill and I want the whole process done in an hour and gas makes that easier.

Read More. Post Less.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

kampmanfan4life wrote:
Looking at creating our wedding registry and It got me to looking at grills. We will leaving our apartment and hope to purchase a house around December and I can't wait to get grilling.

I'm mostly looking at just grilling hamburgers and steaks and whatever, but could for sure see myself getting into smoking meat. Are the meat smokers that are separate from the grills the best rout to go? Or do the grill/smoker combos work well? If just grilling I am still debating charcoal grill vs gas too. Any suggestions on this?
Don't own a gas grill. Won't do it.

Charcoal or pellet all the way. The taste beats the convenience for grilling on gas every time for me. If I don't have 15 mins to let the charcoal heat up, I don't have time to grill then. I strictly use my weber smokey mountain (take the middle piece out, for grilling), with the wife currently trying to convince me to buy a traeger pellet.

Not to mention you're still able to throw a wood piece down in a charcoal bed for a little flavor, despite not having a traditional smoker.
RIP JustJeff

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

TheGreenMan wrote:
10 Apr 2021 13:54
kampmanfan4life wrote:

Charcoal or pellet all the way. The taste beats the convenience for grilling on gas every time for me. If I don't have 15 mins to let the charcoal heat up, I don't have time to grill then. I strictly use my weber smokey mountain (take the middle piece out, for grilling), with the wife currently trying to convince me to buy a traeger pellet.

Not to mention you're still able to throw a wood piece down in a charcoal bed for a little flavor, despite not having a traditional smoker.
How well does the Smokey Mountain work for grilling/searing?

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

BF004 wrote:
10 Apr 2021 15:12
TheGreenMan wrote:
10 Apr 2021 13:54
kampmanfan4life wrote:

How well does the Smokey Mountain work for grilling/searing?
It'll sear no problem.

It's not "supposed" to convert to a grill, but taking the middle portion out basically turns it into a makeshift weber jumbo charcoal grill. Doing this, the lid will not fit properly on the bottom portion though - something to keep in mind. I don't do a lot of grilling, mostly smoking, so it fits my needs just fine.

If you don't take that middle portion out, you won't get what you're looking for grilling/searing.
RIP JustJeff

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Own a ww we kettle for charcoal, a Weber genesis for gas, and a Traeger which is the crown jewel of my life. I would give my wife away before that grill. :lol:

If you are just doing burgers, brats, steaks, just get a simple Weber kettle if you like charcoal, or a Genesis if you want fast gas. Don’t buy a &%$@ brand, Weber is king of the grill. If you wish to smoke food, that’s a different animal. It’s a complete hobby. Actually a way of life. Haha. Doing ribs tomorrow!
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Packfntk wrote:
10 Apr 2021 15:53
Own a ww we kettle for charcoal, a Weber genesis for gas, and a Traeger which is the crown jewel of my life. I would give my wife away before that grill. :lol:

If you are just doing burgers, brats, steaks, just get a simple Weber kettle if you like charcoal, or a Genesis if you want fast gas. Don’t buy a &%$@ brand, Weber is king of the grill. If you wish to smoke food, that’s a different animal. It’s a complete hobby. Actually a way of life. Haha. Doing ribs tomorrow!
So true. Think I'm doing wings tomorrow.
RIP JustJeff

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

this thread is unbelievably awesome...I was on the fence about buying a smoker and becoming a cult member...but not anymore
Just WOW on all the pics and posts. :beer2:
IT. IS. TIME

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

I smoke meat once a week or so, some of my most recent smokes:
image.png
image.png (872.25 KiB) Viewed 7842 times
image.png
image.png (1.47 MiB) Viewed 7842 times
image.png
image.png (1.45 MiB) Viewed 7842 times
image.png
image.png (952.9 KiB) Viewed 7842 times
image.png
image.png (1.88 MiB) Viewed 7842 times
I do tons of pork butts, ribs, briskets. Love those bacon wrapped poppers. Also did a chicken, cheese and bacon combo and it was incredible if anyone wants an idea for something different. But that last picture is pork belly burnt ends. I have wanted to do them forever, and they were one of the best things ever.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

3 hours in the smoker, another 2 in the crock pot, with some homemade slaw... that’ll play.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Those last two posts (packfntk & BF004) made my mouth water. A lot.

kampmanfan4life
Reactions:

Narrowed the wedding registry grill down to these two choices. I'd love one I can try smoking meat with a bit. I think I will go with the classic Weber grill, as how can I go wrong with that...Looks like the real smokers start at about $300-$700 range?

https://www.amazon.com/Weber-Original-P ... en&sr=1-4
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08NC ... pd_gw_unk

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

If you go smoker, don't cheap out. I hear that mechanisms are junk in the cheap ones. Buy a Traeger, trusted and proven.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Packfntk wrote:
25 Apr 2021 08:35
If you go smoker, don't cheap out. I hear that mechanisms are junk in the cheap ones. Buy a Traeger, trusted and proven.
I just picked up a new bad boy from this company and would highly recommend.

https://www.recteq.com/

Customer service is amazing and 6-year warranty on the flag ship grill. I think Nick's point is true of just about anything, though. If you are going to do something, do it right. Buy once, cry once.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

kampmanfan4life wrote:
24 Apr 2021 21:00
Narrowed the wedding registry grill down to these two choices. I'd love one I can try smoking meat with a bit. I think I will go with the classic Weber grill, as how can I go wrong with that...Looks like the real smokers start at about $300-$700 range?

Also, you cannot possibly go wrong with the versatility of a Weber kettle grill, but if I was buying one, again, I would get the new MasterTouch Premium. Comes with a hinged lid and that is a game changer for that grill. Honestly, it's the worst thing about it is having to set the lid down.

https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/char ... S6EALw_wcB

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

kampmanfan4life wrote:

we've used several home made smoker grills up at camp for years, finally after burning out several we opted for a weber kettle, (older model, no frills) and a chip box to smoke and cook briskits, steaks, loins, ribs, chicken, grouse, you name it and we've smoked it, heres the chip box, right from weber.

obviously if you want to smoke cook meat a Treager or other designated Smoker is the way to go, however if all you want is smoke flavored BBQ the Weber your looking at is a more affordable and easy solution, specially if you want a quicker meal, good luck Kampy :aok:

kampmanfan4life
Reactions:

Yoop wrote:
25 Apr 2021 10:28
kampmanfan4life wrote:

we've used several home made smoker grills up at camp for years, finally after burning out several we opted for a weber kettle, (older model, no frills) and a chip box to smoke and cook briskits, steaks, loins, ribs, chicken, grouse, you name it and we've smoked it, heres the chip box, right from weber.

obviously if you want to smoke cook meat a Treager or other designated Smoker is the way to go, however if all you want is smoke flavored BBQ the Weber your looking at is a more affordable and easy solution, specially if you want a quicker meal, good luck Kampy :aok:
Thanks Yoop! I will go this route and see how it is. Once the wedding is behind us and we buy a house I can look into a quality smoker. :banana:

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Homemade bacon.

Read More. Post Less.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Did you end up curing it? How long? Done those several times. Once you do that you won't want to buy store bought bacon.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Packfntk wrote:
07 May 2021 13:30
Did you end up curing it? How long? Done those several times. Once you do that you won't want to buy store bought bacon.
Yep, I did a week. Followed this:

https://jesspryles.com/recipe/how-to-make-bacon/

Read More. Post Less.