Ted Thompson has passed away

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

go pak go wrote:
23 Jan 2021 09:25
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
23 Jan 2021 08:02

What is the Lambeau Field facade? Is that outside or inside, or what? Packers said they'll put TT's name on the Lambeau Field facade? Is this a new thing or what? If so.......might as well put Jack Vainisi's name on it as well. Call it the Scout Wall of Fame maybe.
My guess is the facade is the green ring of honor around Lambeau below the suites that has all the names in Yellow.

image.png
I thought you had to be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame to get your name displayed on the inner sanctum? Ron Wolf is in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Still not exactly clear what the definition of "facade" is. Could be outside........not inside.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

go pak go wrote:
RingoCStarrQB wrote:

What is the Lambeau Field facade? Is that outside or inside, or what? Packers said they'll put TT's name on the Lambeau Field facade? Is this a new thing or what? If so.......might as well put Jack Vainisi's name on it as well. Call it the Scout Wall of Fame maybe.
My guess is the facade is the green ring of honor around Lambeau below the suites that has all the names in Yellow.

image.png
Could be........but I doubt it.
Last edited by RingoCStarrQB on 23 Jan 2021 13:53, edited 1 time in total.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

go pak go wrote:
RingoCStarrQB wrote:

image.png
A Brief History of Facade
Facade is thought to have come to English from the Vulgar Latin facia, meaning “face.” Along the way it passed through both Italian, as faccia, and French, as façade. The earliest meaning of the word in English was in reference to the front portion of a building, it’s “face,” so to speak (and face itself is sometimes used to describe this part of a structure as well). Somewhere along the way facade took on a figurative sense, referring to a way of behaving or appearing that gives other people a false idea of your true feelings or situation. This is similar to the figurative use of veneer, which originally had the simple meaning of a thin layer of wood that was used to cover something, and now may also refer to a sort of deceptive behavior that masks one’s actual feelings (as in, “he had a thin veneer of politeness”).
Last edited by RingoCStarrQB on 23 Jan 2021 15:40, edited 1 time in total.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

lulu
Reactions:

Post by lulu »

salmar80 wrote:
22 Jan 2021 06:48
I think TT found a very happy place for himself with the Packers. With us, he was in his element, got to focus on his mission to build a successful long-term program. Fans tend to think in terms of one season at a time, that was checkers to TT's multiyear chess. I can't imagine him GMing under a meddling owner, anyone who would pressure or overrule his scouting-based decisions, like force signing overpriced UFAs to sell tickets.
Had to have been a dream job for him with no owner. He could just come in and do his thing.

I agree strongly with what others have said about Ted in terms of his dedication to his craft and the Green Bay Packers. Never once did I feel he didn't want to win or do what he thought was in the best interest of the franchise. I'd have to imagine that in his chair winning is as much about winning today as it is building a sustainably competitive team.

Thank you, Ted. RIP

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Found his obituary if anyone wanted to see it:

Link
RIP JustJeff

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
23 Jan 2021 13:50
go pak go wrote:
RingoCStarrQB wrote:

image.png
Never doubt me Ringo.
Thompson will join Pro Football Hall of Famers and other highly influential players and executives in the team’s decorated history along the inside facade of the legendary stadium.
Thompson’s name will be placed alongside Pro Football Hall of Fame members and other important players and executives in team history.
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2021/0 ... eau-field/
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

go pak go wrote:
23 Jan 2021 15:21
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
go pak go wrote:

image.png
Never doubt me Ringo.
Thompson will join Pro Football Hall of Famers and other highly influential players and executives in the team’s decorated history along the inside facade of the legendary stadium.
Thompson’s name will be placed alongside Pro Football Hall of Fame members and other important players and executives in team history.
Well if they're going to put "other important administrators" names on the inner "facade" (as opposed to the outer "facade".......here's a list of administrators in order of ranking per Jason Wilde: 1) Ron Wolf, 2) Jack Vainisi, 3) George Calhoun, 4) Bob Harlan, 5) Ted Thompson.

Who has the actual list of "other important administrators" that are displayed on the inner "facade"? Ron Wolf is in the Pro Football Hall of Fame ......his name would be displayed regardless of this newfangled "other important administrators" definition.

What about some of the non-administrator legends like Vernon Biever, Dad Braisher, Dominic Gentile, and more recently Red Batty, Pepper Burruss?

Question to the Exec Committee or whoever thinks they have the power on this matter: Why isn't Jack Vainisi displayed on the inner facade? How does one put a question on the Shareholders Meeting ballot giving the shareholders a say on whose names are displayed on the inner facade, the outer facade, in the Atrium, and on and on and on.

GO PACK GO!!

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
23 Jan 2021 16:25
go pak go wrote:
23 Jan 2021 15:21
RingoCStarrQB wrote:

Never doubt me Ringo.
Well if they're going to put "other important administrators" names on the inner "facade" (as opposed to the outer "facade".......here's a list of administrators in order of ranking per Jason Wilde: 1) Ron Wolf, 2) Jack Vainisi, 3) George Calhoun, 4) Bob Harlan, 5) Ted Thompson.

Who has the actual list of "other important administrators" that are displayed on the inner "facade"? Ron Wolf is in the Pro Football Hall of Fame ......his name would be displayed regardless of this newfangled "other important administrators" definition.

What about some of the non-administrator legends like Vernon Biever, Dad Braisher, Dominic Gentile, and more recently Red Batty, Pepper Burruss?

Question to the Exec Committee or whoever thinks they have the power on this matter: Why isn't Jack Vainisi displayed on the inner facade? How does one put a question on the Shareholders Meeting ballot giving the shareholders a say on whose names are displayed on the inner facade, the outer facade, in the Atrium, and on and on and on.

GO PACK GO!!
Vainisi never received the recognition he deserved, Jack even scouted out Lombardi, Minus Vainisi and there is no title town, never got the title of GM, yet he drafted or brought in 9 HOF players, Jack was a super scout :aok:

flapackfan
Reactions:

Post by flapackfan »

I rarely post anymore but still lurk. I too was a supporter of TT. The Wahle/Riveria cost cutting. Not pursuing WANDY (not a typo)MOSS in '07. The Taco Wallace & Samkon Gado roster spots, and of course the JamesRob, "come on TT put the kid in for preseason and blowouts", #12's arrival and #4's departure! JustJeff, if memory serves defended TT's style and philosophy a great majority of the time. The Sherman era left the team old, lacking in talent, totally dependent on #4, and in cap purgatory. TT, made a lot of tough calls. Calls that pitted fans vs fans! He remained true to his board and to his plan. Great leader!
Last edited by flapackfan on 23 Jan 2021 17:45, edited 1 time in total.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
23 Jan 2021 16:25

GO PACK GO!!
Are we really comparing a top 3 GM in Packers history with this guy? I mean I love Pepper as much as anyone....but Ted Thompson is a legend and asolutely deserves to be on the ring of honor. He built 3 teams at least that was worthy of a SB ring.
image.png
image.png (307.21 KiB) Viewed 629 times
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

Pckfn23 wrote:
23 Jan 2021 13:57
This was a real cool thing to drive into yesterday.
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

That is beautiful.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Trudge wrote:
23 Jan 2021 18:22
Pckfn23 wrote:
Where is it?

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

Ted Thompson signed Tramon Williams to the 2006 Practice Squad.

Williams is active today.

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

BF004 wrote:
23 Jan 2021 22:03
Trudge wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
Where is it?
29 east, I dont know how far out, 10 miles or so?
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Trudge wrote:
Pckfn23 wrote:
Just snagged TT's autograph, helmet sticker, pin, and TT's 2011 Packers Police card. Ready for framing and display once the autograph is authenticated. GO PACK GO.

German_Panzer
Reactions:

Post by German_Panzer »

Does Ted have a street named after him in GB? Or at least some stand @Lambeau? I'd like to see that since he was not only successful but also a humble, calm & polite guy - a real good role model.

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

If I started a bar in GB, it would be called "Draught and Develop" in his honor.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

salmar80 wrote:
28 Mar 2022 14:13
If I started a bar in GB, it would be called "Draught and Develop" in his honor.
Better trademark that.

Read More. Post Less.