Odell Beckham

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I'm so annoyed the Browns didn't get this done on time for the weekend so we have to listen to Odell coverage through Tuesday or so.

Not in any way related to the Packers or having hopes, just wish they got on with it.

Then again, it's nice to have a story for the NFL to cover other than Rodgers right now

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Who was it on Packers' pre-game radio that was discussing Odell? Whoever it was said OBJ wasn't a locker room cancer, but because he was dissatisfied with his targets, he wasn't playing within the offense. Supposedly, OBJ was making up or adjusting routes without approval. :dunno:
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote: people ( not u) act like I'am foolish when I brought up Ted taking GJ, a year or so later taking Jones and Nelson, then Cobb, imo thats a winning formula to make sure you can get the best from a QB, I hope Guty does that for Love.
Who criticized you for that? Or Thompson for that matter? From what I recall, Thompson was widely lauded for his WR draft decisions.

This victim thing you like to play… :roll:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
07 Nov 2021 21:41
Yoop wrote: people ( not u) act like I'am foolish when I brought up Ted taking GJ, a year or so later taking Jones and Nelson, then Cobb, imo thats a winning formula to make sure you can get the best from a QB, I hope Guty does that for Love.
Who criticized you for that? Or Thompson for that matter? From what I recall, Thompson was widely lauded for his WR draft decisions.

as usual you take comments out of context to make your ignorant remarks, I said that stuff to point out how we hadn't done what Thompson had done early on for 7 freaking years, now you want to sign OBJ, good, but we should have been drafting or signing guys like OBJ for years now :box:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
08 Nov 2021 07:25
APB wrote:

as usual you take comments out of context to make your ignorant remarks, I said that stuff to point out how we hadn't done what Thompson had done early on for 7 freaking years, now you want to sign OBJ, good, but we should have been drafting or signing guys like OBJ for years now :box:
As time continues to move on, it's getting harder and harder for me to criticize the Packers draft and management movements because I simply like the results too much.

The Packers are on pace for a possible top 5 defense and likely at least a top 10 defense. That would be 3 years in a row.

This has never happened in my Packer lifetime (I started really "fanning" in 1999). The identity of the Packers is changing, but these top end defenses the Packers strategy has been implementing has turned into historical levels of wins and success.

So though I too wish we would have that pivotal 2nd round WR that we always "hit on", I just have a hard time complaining about that too much knowing every decision there is an opportunity cost and the decisions that have been made have resulted in very good results.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
APB wrote:

If that is what you meant to say then perhaps you should have simply said that…? :dunno:

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
08 Nov 2021 07:36
Yoop wrote:
APB wrote:

As time continues to move on, it's getting harder and harder for me to criticize the Packers draft and management movements because I simply like the results too much.

The Packers are on pace for a possible top 5 defense and likely at least a top 10 defense. That would be 3 years in a row.

This has never happened in my Packer lifetime (I started really "fanning" in 1999). The identity of the Packers is changing, but these top end defenses the Packers strategy has been implementing has turned into historical levels of wins and success.

So though I too wish we would have that pivotal 2nd round WR that we always "hit on", I just have a hard time complaining about that too much knowing every decision there is an opportunity cost and the decisions that have been made have resulted in very good results.
thats all we do with high picks is draft defense ( Jenkins, Rodgers, Myers are acceptions) adding a top receiver at some point the last 3 or 4 years would give us options going forward, say what you will about this new identity, but it didn't save us last night, obviously a great performance on defense got us close, and also obviously Love and Lafluer lost us that game, but we have struggled even with Rodgers against stingy defenses, I wont rehash age old arguments.

I just find it funny that now people want to sign Odell, yet refused to accept my opinion that we've been needing a Odell for years now.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
08 Nov 2021 07:51

I just find it funny that now people want to sign Odell, yet refused to accept my opinion that we've been needing a Odell for years now.
You can never have too many amazing players at every position. It is a ridiculous notion to believe people don't think we could use an upgrade of talent at certain spots.

But that is such an obvious assertion. I mean to say, "we would be better if we had a better player at X position" is like...no sh*t. It's the ability to get those players and maximize them on the roster what separates good teams from bad teams.

The Packers are a good team. They are well run and have amazing depth at pretty much every position.

Looking back, would I rather have a WR taken in Rd 2 2018 rather than Josh Jackson? Absolutely. But that is starting to get really cherry picky and nitty gritty of finding things wrong with the Packers rather than saying overall what has been going right.

Monday Morning QB'ing is very, very easy. But when you go back with our 1st and 2nd round picks, the premium picks since 2018, I just have little room to complain.

We have had 9 selections since 2018 in Rd 1 and 2. 7 of those picks are really good picks. I would argue there are 2 All Pro's. 2 potential Pro Bowlers. 1 Rookie of the year candidate, 1 starter and 1 player who we continue say "Dillon would have been the MVP of this game had MLF given him the ball more"

You then have Jackson who is a bust and Jordan Love where the jury is still out. So yeah. I would take a WR over those two, but by and large, I just can't complain much about our draft philosophy at this point when the success rate of getting good players has been so overwhelmingly good.

It's not that I don't argue having a better 2WR would be valuable, it's that doing so accepts an opportunity cost and quite frankly it is hard for me to criticize a streak of years where the selections are showing to be really good.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

go pak go wrote:
08 Nov 2021 08:14
Yoop wrote:

You can never have too many amazing players at every position. It is a ridiculous notion to believe people don't think we could use an upgrade of talent at certain spots.

But that is such an obvious assertion. I mean to say, "we would be better if we had a better player at X position" is like...no sh*t. It's the ability to get those players and maximize them on the roster what separates good teams from bad teams.

The Packers are a good team. They are well run and have amazing depth at pretty much every position.

Looking back, would I rather have a WR taken in Rd 2 2018 rather than Josh Jackson? Absolutely. But that is starting to get really cherry picky and nitty gritty of finding things wrong with the Packers rather than saying overall what has been going right.

Monday Morning QB'ing is very, very easy. But when you go back with our 1st and 2nd round picks, the premium picks since 2018, I just have little room to complain.

We have had 9 selections since 2018 in Rd 1 and 2. 7 of those picks are really good picks. I would argue there are 2 All Pro's. 2 potential Pro Bowlers. 1 Rookie of the year candidate, 1 starter and 1 player who we continue say "Dillon would have been the MVP of this game had MLF given him the ball more"

You then have Jackson who is a bust and Jordan Love where the jury is still out. So yeah. I would take a WR over those two, but by and large, I just can't complain much about our draft philosophy at this point when the success rate of getting good players has been so overwhelmingly good.

It's not that I don't argue having a better 2WR would be valuable, it's that doing so accepts an opportunity cost and quite frankly it is hard for me to criticize a streak of years where the selections are showing to be really good.
That’s all well and good but it completely ignores the argument we should have traded up to get Justin Jefferson which is at the core of this ongoing line of criticism.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
08 Nov 2021 09:00
go pak go wrote:
Yoop wrote:

That’s all well and good but it completely ignores the argument we should have traded up to get Justin Jefferson which is at the core of this ongoing line of criticism.
NO, it's the core of your response, Jefferson was simply my fav, but any quality 1st or 2nd round selection the last 3 to 5 years would be better then not taking one at all, when Tae will cost plus 20 mil a season maybe you'll see my point, Ted had it right, spend a high pick on a WR every 2 or 3 drafts, that way you wont have to over pay a WR because he's the only one you have, duh, anyone not hell bent on defending every GM decision knows I'am right, every sports announcer, every game analyst, yet here in this forum people disagree :rotf: :thwap:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yoop wrote:
08 Nov 2021 09:20
Ted had it right, spend a high pick on a WR every 2 or 3 drafts, that way you wont have to over pay a WR because he's the only one you have, duh, anyone not hell bent on defending every GM decision knows I'am right, every sports announcer, every game analyst, yet here in this forum people disagree :rotf: :thwap:
I think you could argue that is the strategy for literally every position on the football team outside of if you have already found your franchise QB.
Yoop wrote:

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

OBJ officially released. Has to go through waivers before becoming a UFA on Tuesday.

The Packers are 30th in waiver wire order, so nothing we can do if a team with 7.5M of spare cap space want to claim him.

PFT hinting the Seahawks may outright claim him:
“You’ll see,” Carroll said with a smile on Monday as to whether Seattle will make a waivers claim for Beckham, via Michael-Shawn Dugar of The Athletic.com.

“We’re aware of what’s going on and we’ve been involved to understand it and compete,” Carroll added, “to know what’s happening. We’ll let you know as soon as it happens. I got to wait. So, I didn’t say yes or I didn’t say no. That’s because . . . you’ll see.”

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

ooo baby if we get OBJ

Adams, OBJ, MVS running streaks and posts, Cobb sitting in windows. Salivating

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

bud fox wrote:
09 Nov 2021 00:42
ooo baby if we get OBJ

Adams, OBJ, MVS running streaks and posts, Cobb sitting in windows. Salivating
I think our chances of actually landing him are about 1%.

Of the teams in playoff contention, the Chargers and the Steelers could claim him off waivers. Seahawks and some others could claim him just to sell tickets, or for the promise of a comp pick. Some others may be able to clear cap space and claim him. Nothing we can do about that. And Odell theoretically can't stop getting claimed, tho he probably can message sucky teams he won't play nice if claimed by them.

If he enters UFA, we have a small shot. If OBJ wants a long term deal now, we have no ability to do that, but that would be foolish of him. If he's willing to take minimum salary and join a contender, he'll have his choice. He essentially would really have to want to come to GB.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

No news or rumors here yet?

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

BF004 wrote:
09 Nov 2021 07:41
4 PM eastern time. After that, anyone can sign him. Before that, they have to claim him and his $7 million. I wouldn't expect anything on him until tomorrow.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

BF004 wrote:
09 Nov 2021 07:41
We should start some…

There are a handful of playoff contention teams with both the required $7.3 mil cap space and WR needs who could potentially claim OBJ:

20A9F4B9-9251-48A4-9A09-9D466037B6E2.jpeg
20A9F4B9-9251-48A4-9A09-9D466037B6E2.jpeg (331.97 KiB) Viewed 257 times

I don’t think Seattle is a contender any longer so I doubt they make a claim. Same for Carolina.

Denver has Sutton and Patrick (edit: and Jeudy, forgot about him) as well as Fant. I don’t think they’re one WR piece from competing for a SB tho. I give them less than 20% chance of a claim.

The Chargers have Allen and Williams and a young talented QB. They could probably use him but it'd be a luxury not necessity. I’ll give them 30%.

The Steelers with a fading armed Roethlisberger and a couple wideouts they struggle to get the ball to already? Coupled with a run-heavy offense? Nah. Less than 20% chance.

Baltimore is intriguing. OBJ to complement Brown and Andrews? They chased Sammy Watkins and he isn’t working out and is oft injured. Give Jackson another weapon and they could be a team to beat. I’ll give it a 50% possibility of a claim.

Cincy and Tennessee both have their WR needs filled. Both less than 20% chance for claim.

The Patriots could be in play. But then again, I doubt it. OBJ doesn’t seem a fit from a “Patriot Way” standpoint. That, and they’re not a one-WR-piece-away type situation. 30% chance, if that.

Any other team would need to make roster moves prior to a claim to make room. New England would, as well, but they’re pretty close so I included them above.

That’s my “Adam Schefter” level insight. Probably about as in depth as his research… :mrgreen:

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

APB wrote:
08 Nov 2021 09:00
go pak go wrote:
Yoop wrote:

We would have had to give MN even more picks to get to pick #22 than we gave to Houston to move up and get Love. Plus I can't imagine MN making a deal with us so we can move up to improve our roster. Instead of going for Jefferson it might have been easier (and cheaper) to have made a move with SF to get Aiyuk who was taken right before we took Love.