Round 1 Pick 13 - Lukas Van Ness

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

BF004
Reactions:

Round 1 Pick 13 - Lukas Van Ness

Post by BF004 »

Go

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I spent very little time on The Draft this year, but underwhelmed with the pick as an initial impression.

Read More. Post Less.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Snoozer

But who knows
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Internet is clowning the packers by saying our selection never started a game at Iowa. Strange if true.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Good pick. A few others available that I liked better, but LVN is gonna be a good one.

Aaron Kampman reincarnate. We get Gary on his fifth-year option, then extend for four, and then another guy at the other EDGE spot with the same freakish power on a rookie deal. That's gonna be a fiendish tandem if it all shakes out right.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

Kampman v2?

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

image.png
image.png (89.19 KiB) Viewed 964 times

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

LVN is going to be good. He’s also going to be able to play numerous spots and offer some interior pass rush. He can run after Hurts and Fields and others pretty well too.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

He isn't Kampman. And if he is, that is an awful use of draft capital since Kamp was a 7th.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

YoHoChecko wrote:
27 Apr 2023 20:58
image.png
He needs to ask CMIII who his roids dealer is with that bench. That is bad at 270+

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Drj820 wrote:
27 Apr 2023 20:52
Internet is clowning the packers by saying our selection never started a game at Iowa. Strange if true.
Iowa starts seniors first. He played rotational starter snaps. I think more than the starter, if I recall correctly. Just a weird college thing at their program.

But he is RAW raw. Like he doesn't have pass rush moves, he just overpowers people, mostly, but has the frame and mold and potential to develop into a lot more. I prefer more development with my elite athletes in the top 15, but he's an elite ceiling athlete with a good motor at a premium position, so he'll likely turn out at least solid.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

image.png
image.png (89.19 KiB) Viewed 952 times

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

This was a VERY common mock draft pairing and I'm a little surprised by the number of people who are hearing of him tonight in any depth for the first time

Like LVN was probably the 3rd-most mocked guy in all the draft coverage. He was considered quite the need-athlete-style fit for our team.

I'm very lukewarm on the value, but it's a very conventional pick perfectly in line with most expectations aside from not being JSN.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Aaron Nagler just said on CHTV that Van Ness is the EXACT type of guy that the Patriots would draft. So, he is suggesting strongly that the Packers liked him when they were still at 15 and this prompted them moving up to 13, just to land VN.

And as we see, now that the Pack has picked VN, the Pats traded back afterward.

We’ll see how that shakes out.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Let's make the real comparison to Rashan Gary. This isn't Kampman or Matthews.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

kampmanfan4life
Reactions:

Post by kampmanfan4life »

From Silverstein: Iowa has some weird thing where they like to start seniors. He still played a ton. He was a de facto starter and played a lot of snaps.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

He is not strong. 17 reps and 31" vertical. Those are numbers from a 6th rounder. The question is if he can get stronger without losing his speed.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Scott4Pack wrote:
27 Apr 2023 21:05
Aaron Nagler just said on CHTV that Van Ness is the EXACT type of guy that the Patriots would draft. So, he is suggesting strongly that the Packers liked him when they were still at 15 and this prompted them moving up to 13, just to land VN.

And as we see, now that the Pack has picked VN, the Pats traded back afterward.

We’ll see how that shakes out.
Would make sense since the Patriots immediately traded back.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Honestly expected this. Had it in the mock. Just screamed Gutenbumst by getting a young height weight speed player. I don’t hate it. I actually do believe he was the 2nd best player in the board but I am very concerned with the offense. The rest of the draft will determine how I truly feel.
Cancelled by the forum elites.