AJ Dillion

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

AJ Dillion

Post by MY_TAKE »

I have been rooting for this guy from day one. Unfortunately, he has really never been as good as what it seems like he should be. I wish we had better production from our RB2. The team needs it. I have no idea if Emanuel Wilson can pass block/blitz pick up, but if he can, I would be all for him getting him some snaps/carries. Any thoughts? Am I nuts???? :rotf:

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Dillion has always seemed to go down too easy. He drops like a stone like he's been tripped. He should probably skip leg day once in a while and jump rope and play hop scotch. He sometimes dances too much instead of just putting the head down and trying to push the pile for positive yards. He has to stop trying to be Jones and be the sledge hammer he should be.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Cdragon wrote:
14 Sep 2023 06:24
Dillion has always seemed to go down too easy. He drops like a stone like he's been tripped. He should probably skip leg day once in a while and jump rope and play hop scotch. He sometimes dances too much instead of just putting the head down and trying to push the pile for positive yards. He has to stop trying to be Jones and be the sledge hammer he should be.
Exactly this.

I also get the impression he maybe concerns himself with his brand too much. He is very active on social media and in local activities. That's great and all from a community standpoint but I sometimes get the sense his focus isn't where it needs to be.

But that's me. I demand total commitment and dedication to the singular cause of my football satisfaction. :mrgreen:

Oh, and welcome to the forum, [mention]MY_TAKE[/mention]! Pull up a keyboard and stay awhile!

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

I agree. Dillon is a fine #2 RB and a good complement to Jones, but he is not a RB #1 and is unlikely to ever be. He is definitely not a bust but neither is he worth where he was picked.

If Jones can't go, I would start Wilson and Dillon can be the 3rd down RB.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Dillon has shown in the past that he has special talent and can have very productive games. There's one Packers football talking head, Perri Goldstein, who is adamant in her stance that AJ Dillon is a rhythm runner. I find that explanation believable.

The issue obviously is, rhythm needs to be found, and that can only happen if you make a point to get them the ball early and often. Yet it's hard to justify going out of our way to feed Dillon on an O that has several more dynamic players.

I think Dillon would better show his ability to be "the guy" on another team, and I do believe he can be that, he just never quite fit into the timeline here because we have had a good problem: Jones aged like wine at a position that ages like milk. We like to get replacements to key starters a year early, but 2020 was like 4-6 years premature to draft our replacement for Jones.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I love AJ Dillon. And yes I too believe he is a rhythm runner because he took over games and carried the offense on his back when he was the primary back.

Think 2021 vs the Cardinals.

But he isn't in the zip code that Aaron Jones is and if I have to choose our RB1 for 2024...I'm rolling with Jones, drafting a RB and brining Wilson back to compete.

And I hate that. Dillon is an amazing Packer personality. He's my damn avatar for cripes sake. But 2022 and 2023 have so far been incredibly disappointing. To be fair, the blocking wasn't great for Dillon on Sunday, but there were two plays that were blocked up and he get less than what I would consider a JAG to get.

1. He should have had a walk-in TD but he tripped on feet while getting through the trash. Keep you feet up!

2. He had a screen pass that was set up perfectly and he did the incredible thing and DIDN'T get a first down on it which I believe resulted in a punt.

It's one thing to not make something out of nothing. It's another thing to not realize the potential when your Oline sets things up for you.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Dillon has never really been a lateral running threat, why would a GM draft a guy like Dillon to play in a stretch outside zone running scheme, it never really worked for him, and we've even changed the blocking schemes hoping to help him and Jones, and admittedly there where some blocking fails, but Dillon is the definition of a 1 cut and go between the tackles runner.

It's why I would like a more dynamic #2 RB, drop Taylor and bring up Wilson ( new someone would snatch up Goodson).

we are at the point in Jones career where tomorrow is promised to no one, so just maybe keeping him now on a touch count is the way to go, the hamy took him out of this game, be up to the coach next time, get him a 100 yrds and pull him, and let Wilson add another buck of his own, I agree with other opinions, let Dillon bang the inside gaps.

just maybe 3 heads are better then just 2.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Welcome, [mention]MY_TAKE[/mention] !

____

Just for fun, below is an example of what Dillon can do with some rhythm and going more between the tackles.

I do feel like he kept his feet up better back then, and he bounced off guys more often.

“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

I’m shocked that people would give up on Dillon. It’s true that week 1 wasn’t a good week for him. But look at 1) how many lateral plays he ran, and 2) how often the DLine hit him before he got to the LOS.

When Jones got the handoffs, he didn’t get touched til after he passed the LOS.

Let MLF get him some more North/South plays, especially in the fall and winter. He’ll be fine. Meanwhile, get MLF to utilize him properly.

:-)
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I'm not giving up and I love the guy and was a fan of him as a player prior to the draft, even.

I think a lot of this is tied inextricably to his draft stock. Complaining about our RB2 would be quite a strange thing had he not been drafted early, I think.

But man, he looked slow. I agree that the lateral stuff was poor usage. I think they were giving him some carries that normally would have gone to Jones while using Jones as a bit of a decoy on the field elsewhere a couple times early.

But even when he got a head of steam, as others have said, his contact balance and his vision just don't seem to be up to snuff. He said he focused a lot on how easily he went down last year over the offseason, so it's a shame to see that focus not coming to fruition.

But yes, I want to see him in different situations with more north/south play calls and get a bit more rhythm if possible. I'm not giving up on him. But I'm not defending him anymore, either.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Dillon was a really bad pick. I hated it when it happened and I obviously like it a lot less now. It’s terrible value to get a back in the 2nd round and not make him a bell cow. I don’t think you could make him a bell cow if you tried either.

Like I said in another post he’s a big back that runs small. He’s too upright and has really poor balance and power IMO. The running upright thing was a college problem. Really good athlete for his size and has a unique build but it does nothing for him as a runner.

At this point he is what he is. He’s never fixed his running pad leave and his instinct to hit a hole and get up field is !@#$ poor. I think he thinks he’s faster than he is because he does way too much trying to get lateral.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

The staff needs to stop with the outside zone stuff with Dillon. He should never have his shoulders facing the sideline.

I do agree with everything everyone has said about his tendency to get tripped up.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Just give him open holes and AJ should be fine.

Sorry he'll never be the Jimmy Taylor I was hoping for as a rusher or cutter. And he doesn't seem to break tackles like a Riggins or Csonka or Taylor did. Not even close to an Earl Campbell. Seems to dance instead of slash. Maybe just too nice of guy.

Hopefully this all changes and we end up with another version of Brockington and Lane this season. Jordan Love needs a consistent rushing game. Agree that the Packers must be careful with the great Aaron Jones snap count. Still hoping Jones can break Ahman Green's rushing record. #3 RBs better step up. That's all I have for now.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
14 Sep 2023 19:28
Just give him open holes and AJ should be fine.

Sorry he'll never be the Jimmy Taylor I was hoping for as a rusher or cutter. And he doesn't seem to break tackles like a Riggins or Csonka or Taylor did. Not even close to an Earl Campbell. Seems to dance instead of slash. Maybe just too nice of guy.

Hopefully this all changes and we end up with another version of Brockington and Lane this season. Jordan Love needs a consistent rushing game. Agree that the Packers must be careful with the great Aaron Jones snap count. Still hoping Jones can break Ahman Green's rushing record. #3 RBs better step up. That's all I have for now.
Would love to see a MacArthur Lane style bomb sometime. Can any of our backs throw a ball?

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Love me some Dillon. But I concur with most sentiments here. Needs to learn to be the back he should be, not what he wants to be.

I still bought his book for my new nephew, and hope he stays a fixture in Wisconsin. But he's gone after this year unless he has zero market next season.
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

paco wrote:
14 Sep 2023 22:45
Love me some Dillon. But I concur with most sentiments here. Needs to learn to be the back he should be, not what he wants to be.

I still bought his book for my new nephew, and hope he stays a fixture in Wisconsin. But he's gone after this year unless he has zero market next season.
I had given some thought to the notion that given the RB market, Dillon would be easily retained at probably Damien Harris, Boston Scott, Amir Abdullah, TyMo, JaMycal Hasty--all these backs who have stayed and bounced around the league past their rookie deals for $1-2 mil per year and he would be an awesome person and personality off the field and a leader and thumper with a split role on the field. And that we'd draft Jones' replacement.

I've swapped my thinking. I'll take Jones at the best bad deal RBs are getting--give him 3 years at $8-10M apiece. And then draft the backup replacements who will compete with Wilson to be a part of the offense.

It's more expensive to go that route, but Jones is just too integral to the team, on and off the field.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

YoHoChecko wrote:
14 Sep 2023 22:59
paco wrote:
14 Sep 2023 22:45

I had given some thought to the notion that given the RB market, Dillon would be easily retained at probably Damien Harris, Boston Scott, Amir Abdullah, TyMo, JaMycal Hasty--all these backs who have stayed and bounced around the league past their rookie deals for $1-2 mil per year and he would be an awesome person and personality off the field and a leader and thumper with a split role on the field. And that we'd draft Jones' replacement.

I've swapped my thinking. I'll take Jones at the best bad deal RBs are getting--give him 3 years at $8-10M apiece. And then draft the backup replacements who will compete with Wilson to be a part of the offense.

It's more expensive to go that route, but Jones is just too integral to the team, on and off the field.
I find no fault in this thinking. Jones is far too special and we have not run him into the ground. Easily another contract in him.
RIP JustJeff

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

YoHoChecko wrote:
14 Sep 2023 22:59
paco wrote:I find no fault in this thinking...Easily another contract in him.
Say there's a market for Jones' services, which there assuredly will be to some extent. Probably MN if I know that org. What's your price cap to retain him?

Keep in mind, Jones recently renegotiated his contract at discount to stay with the team. I'd think that will influence his next contract negotiation to stay with the Packers.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I wouldn’t give Jones more than $6M. RBs fall off a cliff at 30 whether they were run hard through their career or not. It’s possible he’s Frank Gore but the analytics are against him.

The model says draft an RB. If he’s really good tag him once and move on. Athleticism has a direct correlation to success at the RB position according to PFF and I’m on board with them.

I wouldn’t keep Dillon for a can of beans. He doesn’t do anything well. He’s not a good runner, not a good pass catcher, his blocking is fine.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I will say that objectively, I agree with Lupe that we could go cheap at the position and draft a couple RBs and likely survive if not thrive.

Emotionally and in terms of the impact Jones has, i would pay him MVS/Lazard money—$10-11M per year for a 3-year extension. I’d wince at it. But I’d do it.

Dillon I’d do for like very minimum with some incentives if that’s the way we chose to do it.

Regardless, we’ll be drafting a RB or two this year