Keisean Nixon - All-Pro

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

APB
Reactions:

Keisean Nixon - All-Pro

Post by APB »

He may not have been voted a Pro-Bowler but he made the cut where it matters.

Congrats, Keisean!

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Not sure he really deserves it. He returned the most kicks but how many big returns did he have on the year? No scores and a lot of his returns set us back I felt.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

In my head, this is to make up for him getting snubbed last year (at least he was snubbed for ProBowl, don't remember about All-Pro).
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
12 Jan 2024 12:00
Not sure he really deserves it. He returned the most kicks but how many big returns did he have on the year? No scores and a lot of his returns set us back I felt.
he can't do it if the blocking sucks :idn: which I think took a step back this season with all the youth.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Yoop wrote:
12 Jan 2024 12:29
lupedafiasco wrote:
12 Jan 2024 12:00
he can't do it if the blocking sucks :idn: which I think took a step back this season with all the youth.
That’s fine. I agree. Costing the team yards is still costing the team yards. If he broke them more often I would say it’s worth it but he didn’t break many this year. How many times did he get us across mid field even?
Cancelled by the forum elites.

flapackfan
Reactions:

Post by flapackfan »

Regardless of his actual numbers vs the competition at returner, selections are quite often made on past years reputation/production. That said, playoff bound Packers were shut-out on probowl selections. IMO, this is the leagues attempt to right that wrong.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Hmm, I don't know about that idea. All-Pro voting is taken much, much more seriously than Pro Bowls. If you look at Nixon's stats, it makes sense IMO:

“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

flapackfan wrote:
12 Jan 2024 12:39
Regardless of his actual numbers vs the competition at returner, selections are quite often made on past years reputation/production. That said, playoff bound Packers were shut-out on probowl selections. IMO, this is the leagues attempt to right that wrong.
actually Flapackfan the league doesn't have anything actually to do with these awards. players do.

heres a full list of who made it this season

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... amiliarity.

Active NFL players voted for their peers across the league selected and the top 30 performers earned a spot on the Players' All-Pro first team. The league active players voted based on consistency, availability, and positional familiarity.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Yoop wrote:
12 Jan 2024 13:46
flapackfan wrote:
actually Flapackfan the league doesn't have anything actually to do with these awards. players do.

Active NFL players voted for their peers across the league selected and the top 30 performers earned a spot on the Players' All-Pro first team. The league active players voted based on consistency, availability, and positional familiarity.
You're talking about an entirely different award. That's the Players awards. My post is in reference to the longstanding AP voting.

Keisean Nixon was voted AP (Associated Press) 1st Team All Pro.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

APB wrote:
12 Jan 2024 14:05
Yoop wrote:
flapackfan wrote:

You're talking about an entirely different award. That's the Players awards. My post is in reference to the longstanding AP voting.

your right, can't believe I over looked that :thwap:

It's still not something the league is involved with, I think flapackfan makes a valid point though, at least it often seems to be true, at times players get the award based mostly on the season prior stats or play.

Looking over those Kick/punt return stats I'd say a case could be made that Nixon deserved the honors both seasons.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

APB wrote:
12 Jan 2024 14:05
Yoop wrote:
flapackfan wrote:

Yep. Just to be clear, I gave Yoop an upvote for pointing out the league doesn't have anything to do with AP All-Pro voting. I forgot to mention that in my post before his.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

flapackfan wrote:
When the Packers win the next 2 and travel to the NFCCG city ..... "That's What I'm Talkin' About". It's called PMA........Positive Mental Attitude. I just hope the coaches are up to the task.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
12 Jan 2024 18:44
flapackfan wrote:
When the Packers win the next 2 and travel to the NFCCG city ..... "That's What I'm Talkin' About". It's called PMA........Positive Mental Attitude. I just hope the coaches are up to the task.
:thwap:

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Doesn't K9 have some kind of bonus due this week?
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

lake shark
Reactions:

Post by lake shark »

Scott4Pack wrote:
13 Feb 2024 19:22
Pretty sure he’s not under contract right now so that’s not possible. Hope GB re-signs him, he’s a dawg.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

lake shark wrote:
13 Feb 2024 21:27
Scott4Pack wrote:
Pretty sure he’s not under contract right now so that’s not possible. Hope GB re-signs him, he’s a dawg.
Correct, Nixon is an unrestricted free agent and no longer on the team. I also hope he is resigned and he should be high priority among this year's FA's.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

TheSkeptic wrote:
14 Feb 2024 03:19
lake shark wrote:
13 Feb 2024 21:27
Scott4Pack wrote:
Correct, Nixon is an unrestricted free agent and no longer on the team. I also hope he is resigned and he should be high priority among this year's FA's.
When was the last time a Packers All-Pro wasn't re-signed? Ted Hendricks after the 1974 season maybe?

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

I'm not as enamored with Nixon as many seem to be. He's someone I think needs to be replaced as a defensive player for this unit to get where they need to be. As a return man, he's fine, but I'm not completely sold either. Didn't do much before, had a good year the previous year no doubt.

But he's not overly fast or explosive and without those traits I don't have a ton of confidence he's going to replicate that season too often. I remember about 1 return from this past season worth much. How much is that worth? As the league continues to try and negate the importance of the kick off, opportunities to change the game in that regard are going to be come fewer sadly.

I know he had a decent enough return average, but many didn't make it very far. I wonder what our average starting position was after a kick off vs the rest of the league? anybody have that?

anyway, i'm fine at 1-2M per year, maybe 3 on paper with a real payout of only 1-2. Anything higher than that and i'm out. I just don't think he's that valuable to the team all pro or not.

I'm really going to miss the days when a team could crush momentum of the other after a score by returning the kick to answer that score. 1 play, where if you do it right, could go all the way. Tension, drama, what if, etc all in one giant play. And the league wants to get rid of it.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

musclestang wrote:
15 Feb 2024 05:31
As the league continues to try and negate the importance of the kick off, opportunities to change the game in that regard are going to be come fewer sadly.
That's the thing.

I do think he's particularly good at returns if the unit is competent. Nixon sees those creases and is able to exploit them consistently. Unfortunately, that skillset is easily nullified by just a single poorly executed block or by simply having the opposition kick the ball out of the endzone. His is a talent that can be easily contained.

On defense, I think he provides typically competent CB play, particularly in the slot, but he's nothing special. He's also a willing tackler although I seem to recall him missing his share. I do appreciate he's a hard worker, available on Sundays, and a good teammate.

Unfortunately, from a CB skillset perspective, he's not a particularly difficult player to replace. I'd be OK to re-signing him to a second contract but certainly not worth an overpay.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

musclestang wrote:
15 Feb 2024 05:31
I'm not as enamored with Nixon as many seem to be. He's someone I think needs to be replaced as a defensive player for this unit to get where they need to be. As a return man, he's fine, but I'm not completely sold either. Didn't do much before, had a good year the previous year no doubt.

But he's not overly fast or explosive and without those traits I don't have a ton of confidence he's going to replicate that season too often. I remember about 1 return from this past season worth much. How much is that worth? As the league continues to try and negate the importance of the kick off, opportunities to change the game in that regard are going to be come fewer sadly.

I know he had a decent enough return average, but many didn't make it very far. I wonder what our average starting position was after a kick off vs the rest of the league? anybody have that?

anyway, i'm fine at 1-2M per year, maybe 3 on paper with a real payout of only 1-2. Anything higher than that and i'm out. I just don't think he's that valuable to the team all pro or not.

I'm really going to miss the days when a team could crush momentum of the other after a score by returning the kick to answer that score. 1 play, where if you do it right, could go all the way. Tension, drama, what if, etc all in one giant play. And the league wants to get rid of it.
I think we look at the wrong stuff in Nixon's return game when we look at speed or quickness. The one thing that stands out to me is his decisiveness. He picks when he is going to turn North/South and then aggressively attacks whatever hole is there. We have suffered from too many "return" men who lacked any of that. We settled for guys who were "safe" and did hardly anything more than make a fair catch. There's no place for that on this team. We need Nixon, or we need to find another good return guy. Maybe Reed could do it well, but I doubt we want him handling that except maybe playoff time.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!