Caitlin Clark

Cheesy topics (like the Cheese Curds thread) go here. Topics that aren't Packer related will be moved here as well.

Mmmm.... cheese.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Caitlin Clark

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

She could break Pete Maravich's scoring record. Impressive athlete.

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

I don't watch woman's basketball, too many air balls, but good for her. I see her on commercials alot so that's how I gauge her.
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Damn impressive what she's doing. Plus she's got the swagger to go with it. Deserves all the attention she gets.
RIP JustJeff

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

27 pts and 15 assists last night versus Penn State.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Of course she sets the record from the emblem. That's just her style... :aok:

I wouldn't bet against her in a no-dunking game of HORSE against any NBA player.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Taking this to be just the bomb ass women’s sports thread

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

BF004 wrote:
19 Feb 2024 17:42

I saw that yesterday. I hadn't ever heard of such a thing being done let alone seen it. That's impressive!

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

SC definitely a better team, but still a shame, fun to root for Caitlyn.

Probably the last girls basketball game I’ll watch for quite a while I’m sure.

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

BF004 wrote:
07 Apr 2024 16:20
SC definitely a better team, but still a shame, fun to root for Caitlyn.

Probably the last girls basketball game I’ll watch for quite a while I’m sure.
Same.

Was amazed at how she never really box out or stopped anyone from going to the hoop on defense though. Anyone see that? Caitlin was all for the offense though.
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

I think some of those women would do better by looking in a mirror, i.e. how they represent themselves publicly and how it impacts their marketability. I don't know this Wilson woman but this first impression (defining Clark's success as race dependent) does not come off well. Angel Reese promoting a thug-like persona also doesn't appeal to the wider masses. And yes, there's a cultural aspect that is out of their control that they're working against, but until the promotion of socially degenerative behavior is addressed, that's not going away.

Not saying it's fair, just a reality of today's world.

It's also a bit disingenuous to right away jump to the race card as the catalyst for Clark's endorsement deals rather than looking at what Clark has done in terms of records set, the success of her teams on the court, and what she's done in terms of adding viewership. She practically single-handedly brought women's basketball into the national limelight and made advertising during women's basketball events a viable thing...but yet it's a race thing that's getting her all these endorsement deals? C'mon.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Read More. Post Less.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

There is a clear disdain for Clark among a certain segment of league veterans. The same veteran players who previously bitched and complained about unequal pay and treatment as compared to their male counterparts but are now attacking Clark with vitriol and contempt for bringing about some of the very things they've complained about.

And yes, it's pretty clear it's race based. They've said as much.

I don't think Clark will last long in the WNBA considering the physical abuse she's getting on court and the social bashing she's getting off court. When she leaves, the league will likely return to poor ratings and relatively small endorsement deals for players. Then those same players will go back to complaining about unfair treatment compared to the NBA.

I, personally, wouldn't mind seeing the entire thing go under. The quality of play is not very good and it's clearly a league comprised of have vs have-not teams. Add in some thug-like personalities driving away some of the most fan engaging players and it'll be just desserts for all of them.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I think her haters have a point. Clark is a great player, but now that folks are paying attention to the sport, we can see that there are many players in women's basketball that are as good or arguably better without the same fanfare.

She got hyped up, beyond solely how good she is compared to the rest. It happens :idn: and it is not really the fault of the overhyped player, nor are other players wrong to be annoyed by it.

I think you just have to look at the first post of this thread to explain why and how it happened: she attracted a lot of excitement due to breaking a record, one previously held by a male athlete. The press and the industry grabbed onto that to promote the sport.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Labrev wrote:
24 May 2024 13:24
I think her haters have a point. Clark is a great player, but now that folks are paying attention to the sport, we can see that there are many players in women's basketball that are as good or arguably better without the same fanfare.

She got hyped up, beyond solely how good she is compared to the rest. It happens :idn: and it is not really the fault of the overhyped player, nor are other players wrong to be annoyed by it.

I think you just have to look at the first post of this thread to explain why and how it happened: she attracted a lot of excitement due to breaking a record, one previously held by a male athlete. The press and the industry grabbed onto that to promote the sport.
I don't disagree although her shooting fanfare was well deserved as well as the acclaim for breaking a major record. That girl can put the ball in the net from just about anywhere.

But that aside, think about the big picture.

These players should be rallying around Clark to collectively achieve the long sought notoriety, marketing footprint, and eventual league-wide financial benefit from having a face to build a fanbase around. Instead, a great many of them are actively working to undermine Clark both on and off the court because of petty jealousy and, yes, because they don't want that face to be a white girl.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

BF004 wrote:
19 Feb 2024 17:42

The pitcher. Right?

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Labrev wrote:

Have you guys gotten clued into the WNBA charter flight controversies?

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

APB wrote:
24 May 2024 14:38
Labrev wrote:

I don't disagree although her shooting fanfare was well deserved as well as the acclaim for breaking a major record. That girl can put the ball in the net from just about anywhere.

But that aside, think about the big picture.

These players should be rallying around Clark to collectively achieve the long sought notoriety, marketing footprint, and eventual league-wide financial benefit from having a face to build a fanbase around. Instead, a great many of them are actively working to undermine Clark both on and off the court because of petty jealousy and, yes, because they don't want that face to be a white girl.
She's a bust!!!! :rotf: I'm kidding of course. I can roll with some of what you said. But, I don't believe your take is 100% accurate across the board. Here a few thoughts that have popped into my head.

1. She probably has gotten a few more endorsement opportunities and overall hype because she is white. Nothing wrong with that IMO. She was wildly successful as an Amateur athlete. She is an outlier. There are just more black WNBA players. She is something different.

Its not completely apples to apples but Tiger Woods received alot of hype and endorsements before ever turning PRO. I believe part of it was being an African/Asian American in a sport dominated by lighter skinned folks(PGA). He was a very successful outlier. One thing the players on the PGA tour did figure out quick was how much having "this new kid" Tiger Woods on the tour was going to line their pockets with more money than they could have ever imagined. The WNBA players will get it too, so long as Clark can live up to the hype.

2. It seems alot of professional athletes don't take kindly always to Rookies who come in with what they perceive is too much hype. IN other words, "WTF have they proved"? There are few examples but one that came to mind was Lonzo Ball. Part of it was his DAD hyping him too much, but it appeared like a few guys didn't like it all that much and took it personal. IN other words, " Welcome to the league Rookie!!!!" as they went out of their way to crush him. There are always going to be some that get a little jealous as you suggest. If Clark kicks ass and really is that great, it won't matter if she is white to most WNBA players if she is the face of the league. She is going to have to earn it though.