You Tube TV

Cheesy topics (like the Cheese Curds thread) go here. Topics that aren't Packer related will be moved here as well.

Mmmm.... cheese.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Carl Gerbschmidt
Reactions:

You Tube TV

Post by Carl Gerbschmidt »

Any users here, does local TV on youtube include NFL games? If so can I get youtube TV and select Green Bay coverage. I would watch Green Bay sports as part of the evening news if possible.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Carl Gerbschmidt wrote:
11 May 2020 10:50
Any users here, does local TV on youtube include NFL games? If so can I get youtube TV and select Green Bay coverage. I would watch Green Bay sports as part of the evening news if possible.
I'm a subscriber, but it is no different than any other service, your local channels will be from your geographic local area. Minneapolis for me. I still get a good amount of games every year, though, and it includes ESPN so covers SNF and MNF. I end up going to the bar about 3 or 4 times a year for the games I can't see at home.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I got spectrum stream when I moved here about 2 years ago. I cancelled it right after packer season. Kind of went back into it on accident one time a few months later and it still worked. And it still does, ~16 months after cancelling it, it still works, not being charged for it. I’m afraid to touch or do anything, but it works. 🤣

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

It is pretty good for the price. Dumped cable last summer and had Hulu live TV a few months. Went to YT TV when Hulu increased their price by $10 per month and got rid of The Simpsons on demand (on Disney Plus now).

It does not have Nickelodeon channels, One America News, or NFLN. You get local channels. I think it auto recognizes your location, you can't just put in any zip code.

Raptorman
Reactions:

Post by Raptorman »

Dumped cable 7 years ago. I stream all the games. Any game you want to watch is available. Pay for Netflix and Hulu. And that's about it. Most everything else I want to watch I can stream for free.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

I got YouTube TV. Absolutely loved it until they decided to drop the local FS1 stuff. In bigger cities they're offering it, but yeah... lost a lot of sports channels because of that contract issue with Sinclair.

They did announce like 12 new channels coming soon though. I'm sure with a price increase.
RIP JustJeff

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

wallyuwl wrote:
11 May 2020 22:22
It is pretty good for the price. Dumped cable last summer and had Hulu live TV a few months. Went to YT TV when Hulu increased their price by $10 per month and got rid of The Simpsons on demand (on Disney Plus now).

It does not have Nickelodeon channels, One America News, or NFLN. You get local channels. I think it auto recognizes your location, you can't just put in any zip code.
Supposedly coming this summer.
RIP JustJeff

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Welp, got those new channels

Price hiked to $64.99. That's $15 more. :swear: :messedup:

So, streaming is ... basically.... cable now.
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

TheGreenMan wrote:
30 Jun 2020 13:41

Good, God. Teetering on cancelling.

Read More. Post Less.

Carl Gerbschmidt
Reactions:

Post by Carl Gerbschmidt »

Still cheaper than direct TV

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I had YTTV before I paused it when sports went away. I was very happy with it. Worked great, had every channel I wanted except NFLN, and I record as much as I wanted.

That said...when I first signed up it was $40...I am permanently OUT on YTTV at the $65 price point. Not worth it.

Raising the price $15 with no guarantee of sports for a while and unemployment at record highs seems tone deaf from google. I’m outtie.
Last edited by Drj820 on 30 Jun 2020 16:15, edited 1 time in total.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

NCF wrote:
30 Jun 2020 15:27
TheGreenMan wrote:
30 Jun 2020 13:41

Good, God. Teetering on cancelling.
Yeah, I'm with you.

My only hesitation is that YouTube TV isn't the only one experiencing price increases. Once contracts are up with the big companies, you can be sure other streaming services are going to see price increases as well. Fubotv will definitely be getting an increase come August when they add ABC and ESPN. Hulu TV will as well when they need to negotiate for sports (Google tried and supposedly couldn't make a deal happen, hence sports channel loss). Sling TV is another option, but to my knowledge they don't support local.

If I cancel YouTube TV, the next service I'm a part of will see a price increase down the road. Just the nature of the game.

The thing I enjoy most about YouTube TV, is the unlimited DVR. And just the overall look and feel of the UI.

But 30% increase is just about ridiculous. Especially when they got rid of FS1, Midwest sports, due to contracts not being met in certain areas. For me, only baseball or basketball I can watch now will be on local.

I'm tempted to cancel until live sports come back on. Maybe by then Google will have listened to their customers.
RIP JustJeff

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Carl Gerbschmidt wrote:
30 Jun 2020 15:38
Still cheaper than direct TV
Yes, but when provider's package internet and TV together.... It's almost about the same price for me now. And I get my sports channels back.

But man do I just love the casting, watch anywhere, simultaneously that streaming provides.
RIP JustJeff

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

I think what frustrates me more was the fact Youtube TV exists for those who were sick of cable. All the channels you were paying for, that you won't ever watch. That was Google's selling point. That was how they got customers to swing over and cut the cord.

They've become who they were striving not to be.

At this point I'm about tempted to buy myself an antenna and stick with my Prime and Netflix accounts. That is, until football comes back.
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I wish I could pick up everything I need from an HD antenna, but my biggest problem is I need to stream local TV stations. I still don't understand why things are the way they are. I would love PPV where I could select my own channels, including FOX, CBS, NBC, FOXSN, etc. from each Wisconsin and Minnesota locations and add the 3-5 other channels I watch. ESPN, NFLN (not even on YouTubeTV), AMC, FXX, TNT, and TBS... that's about it.

Read More. Post Less.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

NCF wrote:
30 Jun 2020 17:51
I wish I could pick up everything I need from an HD antenna, but my biggest problem is I need to stream local TV stations. I still don't understand why things are the way they are. I would love PPV where I could select my own channels, including FOX, CBS, NBC, FOXSN, etc. from each Wisconsin and Minnesota locations and add the 3-5 other channels I watch. ESPN, NFLN (not even on YouTubeTV), AMC, FXX, TNT, and TBS... that's about it.
Precisely. Streaming, like Youtube TV, was supposed to be the ones starting this trend. And, it just didn't happen. I think we're still a long ways off before we get a true a la carte system. I think the service that does this the best is Sling.

These days I'm watching ESPN, FOX, AMC, and TNT. Sometimes I'll be on SYFY. Other than that..... really nothing else. And even then I still don't actively "watch". Most of the times it's something mindless playing in the background while I'm doing something else.
RIP JustJeff

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

As with others, I am probably OUT after this price increase starting July 29. Yes, seems tone deaf by Google to raise the price $15 per month just because they are now including 8 new channels that most people don't want (BET, CMT, Nickelodeon, a few others). I might look into Spectrum, it is $20 per month and you get I think 10 channels that you get to choose. Or go back to Hulu with Live TV. For the same price basically, Hulu is a better deal. I went from them to Youtube TV in September because they raised their price. I see DirecTV Now (ATT Now I guess is what it is called now) has a $55 package that has everything I'd want and then some except BTN, that is lower price than previously.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

wallyuwl wrote:
01 Jul 2020 12:42
As with others, I am probably OUT after this price increase starting July 29. Yes, seems tone deaf by Google to raise the price $15 per month just because they are now including 8 new channels that most people don't want (BET, CMT, Nickelodeon, a few others). I might look into Spectrum, it is $20 per month and you get I think 10 channels that you get to choose. Or go back to Hulu with Live TV. For the same price basically, Hulu is a better deal. I went from them to Youtube TV in September because they raised their price. I see DirecTV Now (ATT Now I guess is what it is called now) has a $55 package that has everything I'd want and then some except BTN, that is lower price than previously.

I believe Youtube TV is adding another 4 channels later on, included in the price increase. I don't know what channels though.

Hulu is the buy right now though. With that being said, don't be surprised to see them raise prices here soon too. FuboTV just raised their prices by $5, now starting at $60 plans.. not even 24hrs after Youtube just did.

After sleeping on it, I think I'm staying for now. The unlimited DVR, 5 accounts, and 3 simultaneous streams is just so good in a house of 5. The UI is unmatched, compared to the others. Also, I don't think you can skip ads in the only 50 hour of DVR space with Hulu, unless you pay an additional $10 a month. So, pros and cons for sure.
RIP JustJeff

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

I had considered getting YTTV about a year ago but opted instead to just purchase an HD antenna and a Firestick 4K with assorted apps. The HD antenna gets me my local programming and aside from the initial purchase is absolutely free. The picture is good quality, too.

I have a Netflix account and free movie apps on the Firestick for binge watching as well as a local nationwide TV app that I pay $6/mo for (along with a $7/mo VPN subscription ;) ) that allows me to watch local programming in whatever broadcast region the Packers are playing in. No more Sunday Ticket for this guy.

The HD antenna sometimes gets flaky on certain channels depending on weather conditions - clear blue sunny days seem to be the worst; go figure - but for the most part works just fine. I dumped directv back when I bought the antenna and have absolutely no regrets.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

NFL Network was added today.

Also the option of an additional sports package, for around $10 more a month. Which would include Red Zone. Not happening for me - that'd be putting YouTube TV at $75 a month.
RIP JustJeff