Rank the Roster 2024: #15

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Who are the next two best players on the Packers

Poll ended at 23 May 2024 20:57

AJ Dillon
No votes
Keisean Nixon
8%
Romeo Doubs
16%
Lukas Van Ness
24%
Josh Myers
No votes
Eric Stokes
No votes
Luke Musgrave
28%
TJ Slaton
No votes
Kingsley Enagbare
No votes
Tucker Kraft
4%
Jordan Morgan
No votes
Javon Bullard
No votes
MarShawn Lloyd
4%
Carrington Valentine
8%
Karl Brooks
No votes
Edgerrin Cooper
4%
Rasheed Walker
4%
Sean Rhyan
No votes
Colby Wooden
No votes
Ty'Ron Hopper
No votes

Total votes: 25

Waldo
Reactions:

Rank the Roster 2024: #15

Post by Waldo »

Rank The Roster: 2024 Edition

1. Jordan Love (53%)[+8]
2. Rashan Gary (36%)[+3]
3. Jaire Alexander (48%)[-2]
4. Zach Tom (27%)[+13]
5. Kenny Clark (33%)[-1]
6. Xavier McKinney (35%)[FA]
7. Elgton Jenkins (47%)[-1]
8. Josh Jacobs (43%)[FA]
9. Jayden Reed (36%)[+18]
10T. Christian Watson (24%)[-2]
10T. Dontayvion Wicks (24%)[+21]
12T. Preston Smith (27%)[-2]
12T. Devonte Wyatt (27%)[+4]
14. Quay Walker (40%)[--]
15. Current (xx%)[--]

Percent of vote the winner got will be in parenthesis, position change vs. 2023 will be in brackets.

Here's how this works:

Each day there is a new thread/poll, starting at #1, on down to whereever we get. The whole point of this exercise is to have something to talk about in the lean news months to carry us to camp. Each poll will be open for voting for 24 hours. New threads will only be created on weekdays. Ties will cause a runoff poll. You may vote up to TWO players (a change that was made mid-poll last year, seemed to work well).

Simply voting is not enough!

Post why you voted for who you did and provide a player to add to the next poll (every poll will be a list of 15-20 guys, new players added in bunches every few days).

Here's the thing. There is no criteria. This is an exercise to foster discussion therefore there are no clear criteria for ranking. Who is better right now? Who will have the best season? Who was better last year? Sort of a combo of them all? Do you take positional value into account? It really doesn't matter.

Previous Years:
Rank the Roster: 2023
Rank the Roster: 2022
Rank the Roster: 2021
Rank the Roster: 2020
Rank the Roster: 2014-2019

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

LVN and ???

LVN is going to make some plays and probably will be #2 in edge snaps.

This is about the time rookies start getting in the convo, 18-19. Chances are decent we have 3 starting rookies (Morgan, Cooper, Bullard).

Should probably go with a TE for my other pick. Kraft or Musgrave? Both have pros and cons.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

There are a number of good choices now. But a couple of previous choices boggle my mind. Oh well.

99% chance that LVN is the starting DE opposite Gary on opening day and the rest of the season, baring injury to either Gary or LVN. 50% chance that Enagbare is ahead of Preston too. Preston at 31 years old is in his inevitable decline. And yet Preston is off the board and Engabare is not getting any votes. Oh well.

Oh, and Musgrave is the starter, not Kraft. The Packers will be playing a lot of 2 TE snaps and Kraft is going to get many of them, at Reed's expense. With a durable and all pro RB, it is tough to believe that the Packers will not run more this season, a lot more.

So, for me, LVN and Musgrave, obviously good choices

Valentine on deck as it is 60-40 between him and Stokes. Oh, and your 3rd CB is a lot tougher to replace than a guard or Dlineman. It boggles the mind that a guard is off the board and the starting CB, whichever he is, is not getting votes. Oh well.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

TheSkeptic wrote:
23 May 2024 00:54
It boggles the mind that a guard is off the board and the starting CB, whichever he is, is not getting votes. Oh well.
And yet you still didn't choose one. :dunno:

I've been talking up Valentine the past two picks. Welcome to the convo, at least. ;) :aok:

I went Valentine and Walker, the LT. They both need to be in the discussion now.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Musgrave and Marshawn Lloyd.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Doubs and Musgrave. I had voted for Tucker Kraft in the last round, but missing all of OTA's and potentially some of TC with the pec injury I think unfortunately sets him back a bit. I expect Musgrave runs with the opportunity. Kraft will still be important, but I think this helps Musgrave's case for TE1.

Read More. Post Less.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

TheSkeptic wrote:
99% chance that LVN is the starting DE opposite Gary on opening day and the rest of the season, baring injury to either Gary or LVN. 50% chance that Enagbare is ahead of Preston too. Preston at 31 years old is in his inevitable decline. And yet Preston is off the board and Engabare is not getting any votes. Oh well.
Preston started over LVN and Enagbare in OTAs a few days ago, so I question the accuracy of these 99% and 50% odds. Sure this could change by Week 1 but it doesn't bode well for your prediction.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Labrev wrote:
23 May 2024 08:33
TheSkeptic wrote:
Preston started over LVN and Enagbare in OTAs a few days ago, so I question the accuracy of these 99% and 50% odds. Sure this could change by Week 1 but it doesn't bode well for your prediction.
Goodness, @TheSkeptic. Some of these takes you are posting are baffling. You think Preston Smith is EDGE4? That is just utter non-sense.

Read More. Post Less.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Labrev wrote:
TheSkeptic wrote:
Yes, he did. And it is normal for a new DC to find out how much is still in Preston's tank. I suspect it is pretty low.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

TheSkeptic wrote:
23 May 2024 09:47
I suspect it is pretty low.
Based on what? He magically regressed by leaps and bounds over the past five months? I am not even entertaining that idea.

Read More. Post Less.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

NCF wrote:
23 May 2024 09:05
Labrev wrote:
TheSkeptic wrote:
Goodness, @TheSkeptic. Some of these takes you are posting are baffling. You think Preston Smith is EDGE4? That is just utter non-sense.
I am saying it is entirely possible. He is not exactly young. And neither LVN nor Enagbare are just guys. Was AR washed up when a younger Jordan Love was ready? No, he wasn't. But when you have a younger player with more upside and the veteran is going to lose a battle with Father Time soon, you go with the younger player(s). LVN and Enagbare are both ready.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

TheSkeptic wrote:
23 May 2024 09:51
NCF wrote:
Labrev wrote:

I am saying it is entirely possible. He is not exactly young. And neither LVN nor Enagbare are just guys. Was AR washed up when a younger Jordan Love was ready? No, he wasn't. But when you have a younger player with more upside and the veteran is going to lose a battle with Father Time soon, you go with the younger player(s). LVN and Enagbare are both ready.
The contract mechanics make it clear that the Packers do not think those guys are ready. I think we can have this conversation next season, but you are a year too early. If he does have another steady season, I would most likely expect him to play out next year, as well.
image.png
image.png (106.58 KiB) Viewed 407 times

Read More. Post Less.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

NCF wrote:
23 May 2024 10:04
TheSkeptic wrote:
NCF wrote:

The contract mechanics make it clear that the Packers do not think those guys are ready. I think we can have this conversation next season, but you are a year too early. If he does have another steady season, I would most likely expect him to play out next year, as well.

image.png
I am not saying that Preston is a bad player or that he should not stay for this season or next. Probably he should stay. But the young guys need to play. They need more snaps if they are to be ready for the playoffs.

LVN was not even drafted when the Packers signed Preston and Engabare was a rookie and Gary was hurt.

I don't want to see another game like the SF game a few months ago when the Packers pass rush sucked and LVN was not ready. He needs to play, not rotate in now and then, even if Preston is the better player on opening day. Same for Enagbare.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

TheSkeptic wrote:
NCF wrote:
Labrev wrote:

Skeptic, almost every vote slot you toss in a bunch of hypotheticals, while LVN and Enagbare will push for playing time, Preston is the established starter, he is also the only edge rusher with drop and cover proven ability, while that doesn't seem like much, it allows diversity in that we can drop him and blitz a off ball player, and we have not witnessed the slow down you predict from Preston, if anything he's been our most consistent OLB, oh heck, wait, we only have 1 OLB and Preston is it :rotf:

my Vote goes to our #1 TE, Musgrave is more athletic then Kraft, better route runner, faster, he is a nightmare for any DB or lber up the slot and the crossing routes, only Musgrave today

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I am in agreement with NCF. Smith played really good football last year. He still has juice as a pass-rusher. Sure, guys lose a step in their age, but I don't think his rush will fall off a cliff this season. More pertinently, he is an excellent run defender, which means he will be out there a lot on early downs and to start the game.

So he will basically be a starter, not just nominally as the first one out there, but also probably receiving the most snaps.

We also see that this team tends to give lots of snaps to vet players, even when promising young guys behind them are making noise, but it remains to be seen what Hafley's approach to this is.
—Magneto

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

I can appreciate the point being raised by @TheSkeptic regarding getting these younger players some snaps so they gain experience. We all want these guys to be prepared should they be called upon in the chase for a title.

What I'm not understanding is how that argument translates to value or merit related to this ranking contest right now.

:dunno:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

APB wrote:
23 May 2024 11:43
I can appreciate the point being raised by @TheSkeptic regarding getting these younger players some snaps so they gain experience. We all want these guys to be prepared should they be called upon in the chase for a title.

What I'm not understanding is how that argument translates to value or merit related to this ranking contest right now.

In this case, it is relevant to how big of a role guys like LVN/Enagbare might play for us this year, their impact, etc.

But yes, lots of us seem to love to litigate polls results that were decided some time ago and no longer matter to the vote at hand.
—Magneto

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Labrev wrote:
23 May 2024 13:04
APB wrote:

In this case, it is relevant to how big of a role guys like LVN/Enagbare might play for us this year, their impact, etc.

But yes, lots of us seem to love to litigate polls results that were decided some time ago and no longer matter to the vote at hand.
I think that is where I got worked up. You can have these opinions of LVN and Enagbare irrespective of Preston. How much these young guys contribute is really up to them and has little to do with the guys ahead of them. At least that is what we have seen in years past at EDGE.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
23 May 2024 13:11
Labrev wrote:
23 May 2024 13:04
APB wrote:

I think that is where I got worked up. You can have these opinions of LVN and Enagbare irrespective of Preston. How much these young guys contribute is really up to them and has little to do with the guys ahead of them. At least that is what we have seen in years past at EDGE.

It's a terrible situation, to have a very consistent Preston, a spark plug like Gary, and 2 more who impress almost every chance they get, one having gobs of athletic ability, the other coming of injury and running arcs at full out speed, what a dilemma for a position coach to deal with :rotf:

I think Preston and Gary are the starters and the other two will keep them fresh, this is the 4 best edgers we've had in many a year, we gonna break the hearts of many a QB in the near future :aok:

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Went with our two top white boy picks from a year ago.