Rank the Roster 2020: #19

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Who is the next best player on the Packers?

Poll ended at 28 May 2020 08:53

Jamaal Williams
13%
Billy Turner
No votes
Devin Funchess
19%
Dean Lowry
31%
Oren Burks
No votes
Chandon Sullivan
25%
Marquez Valdes-Scantling
No votes
Equanimeous St. Brown
No votes
AJ Dillon
13%
Ka'Dar Hollman
No votes
Kingsley Keke
No votes
Raven Greene
No votes
Robert Tonyan
No votes
Josiah Deguara
No votes
Jon Runyan
No votes
Tyler Lancaster
No votes

Total votes: 16

Waldo
Reactions:

Rank the Roster 2020: #19

Post by Waldo »

Rank The Roster: 2020 Edition

1. Aaron Rodgers (48%)[--]
2. Za'Darius Smith (70%)[+5]
3. Aaron Jones (43%)[+3]
4. Davante Adams (45%)[--]
5. David Bakhtiari (59%)[-3]
6. Kenny Clark (100%)[-3]
7. Jaire Alexander (74%)[-2]
8. Preston Smith (58%)[+5]
9. Elgton Jenkins (75%)[+15]
10. Kevin King (47%)[+4]
11. Adrian Amos (78%)[-1]
12. Corey Linsley (63%)[-1]
13. Christian Kirksey (56%)[FA]
14. Darnell Savage (81%)[+2]
15. Rick Wagner (38%)[FA]
16. Jace Sternberger (44%)[+16]
17. Rashan Gary (47%)[+3]
18. Alan Lazard (54%)[+27]
19. Current

Percent of vote the winner got will be in parenthesis, position change vs. 2019 will be in brackets.

Here's how this works:

Each day there is a new thread/poll, starting at #1, on down to whereever we get. The whole point of this exercise is to have something to talk about in the lean news months to carry us to camp. Each poll will be open for voting for 24 hours. New threads will only be created on weekdays. Ties will cause a runoff poll.

Simply voting is not enough!

Post why you voted for who you did and provide a player to add to the next poll (every poll will be a list of 10 guys, a new player is added to the list each day).

Here's the thing. There is no criteria. This is an exercise to foster discussion therefore there are no clear criteria for ranking. Who is better right now? Who will have the best season? Who was better last year? Sort of a combo of them all? Do you take positional value into account? It really doesn't matter.

Previous Years:
Rank the Roster: 2014-2019

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Chandon Sullivan.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

I went with Lowry yesterday, doesn't seem to be much interest in him though. He was better in 2018 than 2019 I thought impact-wise. Availability has been a plus for him, he has been healthy (enough to play) his whole career. He turns 26 this year and is in the final year of his rookie deal, so is entering his prime. Not a stretch to think that 2020 will be a peak year for Dean, and that's he'll be the best we've ever seen him.

Tomorrow I'll add a new batch. I'm thinking Marcedes Lewis, Kamal Martin, Tyler Ervin, Alex Light, and Lucas Patrick

Love and Crosby will be in the batch after that. Going to need an additional WR, CB, OL, LB and S as well.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Still sticking with Funchess. I will not be surprised, at all, if he ends up with more targets/receptions than Lazard this year.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Waldo wrote:
27 May 2020 09:13
He turns 26 this year and is in the final year of his rookie deal, so is entering his prime.
He signed a contract extension last August, right before they released Daniels. Looks like a pretty bad deal, now. If they play him at his natural DE position he is far more productive than when they try to kick him inside. He just gets overpowered far too easily by Guards and Centers.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I am between Dean Lowry and Chandon Sullivan here.

Who's got a winning argument to sway me?

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Going Mean Dean here.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

No words needed.

Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Lowry for me as well.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

NCF wrote:
27 May 2020 09:16
Waldo wrote:
27 May 2020 09:13
He turns 26 this year and is in the final year of his rookie deal, so is entering his prime.
He signed a contract extension last August, right before they released Daniels. Looks like a pretty bad deal, now. If they play him at his natural DE position he is far more productive than when they try to kick him inside. He just gets overpowered far too easily by Guards and Centers.
how much did we give him? the terms DE, or DT are just confusing, Lowery does OK as a gap player, not so good as a 2 gap player, but then we don't really have a guy that can handle 2 gaps except Clark, basically there all DE's or single gap Dlineman, still I think Lowery is the most consistent player left on this board.

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

Went funchess but sully is a good pick also. Both will have roles. Fun has done it and could be a nice add. Sully could take a leap and be a mainstay also.

I really wish i could vote for a guy on the DL but man they were bad last year. Mean dean... Did he even play. Wow he was not good and lancaster wasnt better. I hope someone can emerge from the pack to help clark

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
27 May 2020 09:39

It's tough to rely on production and stats too much because of limited snaps, but you also have to really hand it to Chandon. When he played...he produced and he also did not allow his opponent to produce.

Chandon in my mind is a lock to take over that #3 nickle spot so he will have near starting level snaps. Let's compare Sullivan to Williams in 2019. Keep in mind we all thought Williams was tremendous in 2019.

Chandon Sullivan
image.png
image.png (23.84 KiB) Viewed 477 times
Tramon Williams
image.png
image.png (23.83 KiB) Viewed 477 times
Now both Wililams and Sullivan had great 2019's. However Sullivan was just fantastic. Sullivan played far less than Williams (I wish I had snap count) but targets were actually not far off from each other. However, you can see that Sullivan had far less completions allowed and Completion % allowed, even though he was likely a "weak-link" target opposing quarterbacks went after (I would venture to guess his "targets per snap" is rather high). I mean his passer rating allowed is just ridiculous.

Sullivan had every reason to not make the roster. He performed too much though in August he had to make the team. Sullivan then was placed behind Redmond. Redmond played poorly so they put Sullivan there instead against Dallas and he Chandon gets a pick. Even after that....Chandon was never a liability but a strength.

Chandon Sullivan's 2019 was just so good. Lots of projection, but I see no reason why he shouldn't be cosidered here and his position will likely justify it being the nickle.

Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

I voted for the only certain starter in this list. Dean Lowry.

I agree that Sullivan is a probable starter but that is not the same as certain. Its possible that Tramon still has a little gas in the tank and its possible that another of the backup DB's wins the job.

Sullivan and Dillon on deck, not sure yet who I will pick next.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
27 May 2020 12:06
YoHoChecko wrote:
27 May 2020 09:39

It's tough to rely on production and stats too much because of limited snaps, but you also have to really hand it to Chandon. When he played...he produced and he also did not allow his opponent to produce.

Chandon in my mind is a lock to take over that #3 nickle spot so he will have near starting level snaps. Let's compare Sullivan to Williams in 2019. Keep in mind we all thought Williams was tremendous in 2019.

Chandon Sullivan
image.png

Tramon Williams
image.png

Now both Wililams and Sullivan had great 2019's. However Sullivan was just fantastic. Sullivan played far less than Williams (I wish I had snap count) but targets were actually not far off from each other. However, you can see that Sullivan had far less completions allowed and Completion % allowed, even though he was likely a "weak-link" target opposing quarterbacks went after (I would venture to guess his "targets per snap" is rather high). I mean his passer rating allowed is just ridiculous.

Sullivan had every reason to not make the roster. He performed too much though in August he had to make the team. Sullivan then was placed behind Redmond. Redmond played poorly so they put Sullivan there instead against Dallas and he Chandon gets a pick. Even after that....Chandon was never a liability but a strength.

Chandon Sullivan's 2019 was just so good. Lots of projection, but I see no reason why he shouldn't be cosidered here and his position will likely justify it being the nickle.

well if you had unvaled this valuable info 30 min sooner I'd have voted for Chandon :lol: either way he'll bevoted in today or tomorrow, this info all but assures it, I know I feel a little better concerning the #3 CB position now, plus we just picked up a kid with super Cod, so we may have a unknown that will battle hard for recognition, I think this team is deeper then we think it is.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I went with Dillon but it was close with Sullivan. I don’t think Lowry is in my top 20. He’s just not a very good player and get get exploited against the run.

Sullivan I do really like but I’m. It sure I want to go there just now. Dillon I expect will get all the #2 snaps at RB. Jones got through the year healthy last season but who knows if he can pull it off again. I like Dillon to take a ton of snaps on the offense.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

lupedafiasco wrote:
27 May 2020 13:19
I don’t think Lowry is in my top 20. He’s just not a very good player and get get exploited against the run.
Not when they play to his strengths. Perfect examples of how to play Lowry versus how not to play Lowry.

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Here is more good Dean. Generally, when they play 3 DL or have anyone inside of him on the same side of the OC, you can expect better results.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
27 May 2020 13:51
Here is more good Dean. Generally, when they play 3 DL or have anyone inside of him on the same side of the OC, you can expect better results.

OOF, those last two plays out of the three shown are Lowry destroying #71 on the Lions, so I looked up who it is... Ricky Wagner :messedup:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Showtime Sully, GO!

Lowry is a JAG and frankly, after how historically badly our defense was gashed by the 9ers, we should refrain from ranking any DL into the Top-20 on principle (save only for Clark).

Personally, there is no 2019 rookie who I am pulling for harder than Kingsley Keke. Here's hoping he got bigger/stronger over the offseason enough to keep the other losers on the bench and give Clark the help he needs!! :pray:
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

The DL wasn't particularly responsible for that game.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."