Rank the Roster 2020: #25 Runoff

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Who should get the 25th spot?

Poll ended at 16 Jun 2020 08:07

Marquez Valdes-Scantling
29%
Equanimeous St. Brown
41%
Mason Crosby
29%

Total votes: 17

Waldo
Reactions:

Rank the Roster 2020: #25 Runoff

Post by Waldo »

Geez, a 3 way tie, I don't think that's ever happened before.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

The guy we know will be the top guy at his position, that has been the top guy at his position, that did his job very well last year, that just got a new contract, and that will probably be the direct reason for a win or loss for at least a couple games this year....Kicker/team leader Mason Crosby :lol:
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I'm going EQSB.

Is it based as much on hope as reality? Yes, it is.

I personally really like what I've seen of him. I really liked him coming out of school, also, though, so there's confirmation bias. I think MVS has some flaws that seem a bit innate--mostly ball tracking, which for a deep receiver is challenging. EQSB has great size, good speed, and blocks. He makes sense as a big slot, but also has a skillset that translates to playing outside. He had zero drops his rookie season. He displayed excellent body control in limited opportunities his rookie season. He was able to go through all the installs and offseason last year before getting injured, so he truly is in his second season in the system.

And best of all, as someone who is mostly unknown, I am able to apply hope to him in a way that feels more honest than someone who I have watched struggle with consistency and production despite far greater opportunities. Yes, it says something that MVS earned the opportunities. But given what he has/hasn't done with them, I say it's time to let someone else have those opportunities and prove if they can/can't get it done. EQSB has only showed positively when playing. Expand his opportunities and flourish.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I went EQSB as well.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

I think this is too early for Crosby.

His historical positions are (2014-2019): 29, 32, 26, 28, 29, 35

He certainly is not getting better, nor is the roster getting worse. Its just the uncertainty at WR, how up in the air the pecking order is, that might help him sneak in here. But its 5 spots too early IMHO.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Extra Special Brown, this teams version of Driver.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Waldo wrote:
15 Jun 2020 10:05
I think this is too early for Crosby.

His historical positions are (2014-2019): 29, 32, 26, 28, 29, 35

He certainly is not getting better, nor is the roster getting worse. Its just the uncertainty at WR, how up in the air the pecking order is, that might help him sneak in here. But its 5 spots too early IMHO.
i would have to see the ranking from past years to say for sure, but in theory i think its very possible the roster isnt as deep as it was in years past...yet still better. The difference being that there may be more power at the top with the additions of a Preston, Z, Jenkins, Amos, etc. So we may have a better roster now, but maybe not as good of players as we get into the mid 20s. Thats why i think history doesnt have to demand that crosby be pushed back 5ish spots.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I’ll take ESB. Better blocker. Better route runner. For all the speed MVS has he’s a horrible deep threat because of his inability to track and get under the ball. There’s no nuance to his game.

This is the make or break year for both of them. Both have the tools but ESB to me is like Craftsman and MVS is Herbert Freight.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

lupedafiasco wrote:
15 Jun 2020 10:40
Both have the tools but ESB to me is like Craftsman and MVS is Herbert Freight.
Well its certainly a good thing we've got Davante "Festool" Adams and Alan "Husqvarna" Lazard.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

ESB for me also.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

'Gonna change my vote to Crosby, actually.

To me, the K should go only after all players who significantly impact field-position. I do think some of the guys on the board could be impact players, but I don't feel confident enough to bet on it.

So I will go with the safe bet; the points that Mase gives us will be more valuable to the team than the yards/scores from our #4-5 WRs. Depth WRs will not be as important in this offense as they were under Mac's system. Sure, one of these two could be WR3, but again, not confident enough to bet on it and WR3 will also be less important for us than we have been used to.

*edit*
I certainly hope people's confidence in St. Brown is well-placed. He has great triangle-numbers for sure. It does feel like people are setting themselves up for disappointment somewhat.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

ehhh, once ya get past the starters and a few rotational players it's time for the kicker, it's to hard to predict MVS or Brown and Crosby has been pretty consistent the last few years, everyone remembers when he screws one up, and over look that he's responsible for some of the wins though to.
ya can make do without a #3 or 4 receiver, hell we been doing it for years :lol: , ya can't get by without a kicker, Mason it is.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Scoring leader. Over 4th and 5th WRs. Much more impact on games.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Even the worst starting kickers in the league each year are scoring leaders for their teams.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Pckfn23 wrote:
15 Jun 2020 21:44
Even the worst starting kickers in the league each year are scoring leaders for their teams.
I meant team's all time scoring leader. Should have specified.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

wallyuwl wrote:
16 Jun 2020 00:21
Pckfn23 wrote:
IMO that doesn't matter, it's not the name of the player here, it's the position, almost any kicker in the league deserves this slotting, they all produce about a 1/5 of total scoring, some much more, to just ignore that when building a team is unconscionable :lol:

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Yoop wrote:
16 Jun 2020 06:29
wallyuwl wrote:
16 Jun 2020 00:21
Pckfn23 wrote:
IMO that doesn't matter, it's not the name of the player here, it's the position, almost any kicker in the league deserves this slotting, they all produce about a 1/5 of total scoring, some much more, to just ignore that when building a team is unconscionable :lol:
Yeah, mostly agree. I don't think a bad kicker deserves the 25th slot on any team, though. Crosby is pretty good and has been for a long time. That is why I think he deserves this spot more than two guys who will be WR4 and WR5.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

YaY! We did it, guys!

E! Q! S! B!