53-man Roster Predictions (16-man PS)

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

NCF
Reactions:

53-man Roster Predictions (16-man PS)

Post by NCF »

What do you got?

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

OFFENSE (25)

WR: Adams, Funchess, Lazard, MVS, EQ
TE: Sternberger, Big Dog, Tonyan, Deguara
OT: Bakhtiari, Wagner, Light
OG: Jenkins, Turner, Taylor, Runyan
OC: Linsley, Patrick
RB: Jones, Williams, Dillon, Ervin
QB: Rodgers, Love, Boyle

DEFENSE (25)

DL: Clark, Lowry, Keke, Lancaster, Adams
EDGE: Smith, Smith, Gary, Roberts, Garvin
ILB: Kirksey, Burks, Martin, Summers, Barnes
CB: Alexander, King, Sullivan, Jackson, Hollman, Ento
S: Amos, Savage, Greene, Scott

ST (3)

K: Crosby
P: Scott
LS: Bradley

PS (16)

WR: Taylor, Begelton, Stewart
TE: Baylis
OT: Nijman, Bruffy
OG: Stepaniak
OC: Hanson
RB: Williams, Taylor
QB: Morton

DL: Previlon
EDGE: Ramsey, Scott
ILB: Bolton
S: Griffin

Read More. Post Less.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

QB:
The God
Love
Boyle

RB:
Jones
Dillon
Williams
Ervin

FB:

TE:
Sternberger
Deguara
Lewis
Tonyan

WR:
Adams
Funchess
Lazard
ESB
MVS

OL:
Bak
Jenkins
Linsley
Turner
Wagner
Taylor
Light
Runyan
Hanson
Stepaniak

DL:
Clark
Lowry
Keke
Lancaster
Hester

Edge:
Z Smith
P Smith
Gary
Garvin
Williams

LB:
Kirksey
Burks
Martin
Summers

CB:
Alexander
Pan Fried Noodles
Sullivan
Hollman
Jackson

S:
Amos
Savage
Greene
Scott
Redmond

K:
Crosby

P:
Scott

LS:
Bradley
Cancelled by the forum elites.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

QB Rodgers, Love, Boyle
RB Jones, Dillon, Williams, Ervin
TE Sternberger, Tonyan, Deguara, Baylis
Oline: Bak, Jenkins, Linsley, Turner, Wagner, Patrick, Light, Runyan, Hanson
WR Adams, Lazard, ESB, MVS, Kumerow

Dline Clark, Lowry, Lancaster, Adams, Keke, Hester
OLB Z Smith, P Smith, Gary, Garvin
ILB Kirksey, Burks, Martin, Summers
CB Alexander, King, Sullivan, Hollman, Jackson, Sunderland
S Amos, Savage, Greene, Scott, Redmond

ST 3

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

I'm hedging a little....

If you're on the active roster and italic, you're on the right side of the bubble... if you're on the PS and in bold, you're on the wrong side of the bubble. Most of those are guys I think will make the team but I don't have the guts to actually project them at the expense of my italicized people.
image.png
image.png (29.73 KiB) Viewed 546 times

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I always like to take a close look at UDFA signing bonuses. Here is what has been reported from this crop:

Travis Bruffy, OT, Texas Tech
Guaranteed base salary: $20,000
Signing bonus: $7,000

Frankie Griffin, S/LB, Texas State

Zack Johnson, OT, North Dakota State

Delontae Scott, EDGE, SMU
Guaranteed salary: $15,000

Darrell Stewart, WR, Michigan State

Patrick Taylor, RB, Memphis

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2020 ... ntae-scott

Read More. Post Less.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Also, based on the fact that our in-house guys will get very little work, I fully expect that 16-man PS to include probably 8-10 guys from other teams cuts that they just think are better than the guys they worked in camp.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
28 Jul 2020 08:41
Also, based on the fact that our in-house guys will get very little work, I fully expect that 16-man PS to include probably 8-10 guys from other teams cuts that they just think are better than the guys they worked in camp.
There are also predictions that without preseason games and public preseason scouting, a lot of teams will be more likely to stick to their own players who they know rather than pre-NFL scouting but no film...

I can see it both ways.

Also, I do really have an interest in that Bruffy OT. I didn't realize he got a guarantee, also.

At edge I like that Gibson guy, too, but didn't realize Scott got the signing bonus among the undrafted EDGEs. I actually don't know whyh I put Ramsey on my PS instead of one of those two.

My hesitation now is that I had a very youthful squad in my head--willing to let go of Taylor at OG and Light at OT to replace them with potential. Maybe even Redmond at S with the undrafted guys coming in and Scott in the 7th...

...but the way the offseason played out, I'm reversing course on that. I think we're going to hang onto the experience we have a little more and use the expanded PS to hang on and develop the youngsters that way.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
28 Jul 2020 08:51
There are also predictions that without preseason games and public preseason scouting, a lot of teams will be more likely to stick to their own players who they know rather than pre-NFL scouting but no film...
Yeah, I suppose that is the flip side.
YoHoChecko wrote:
28 Jul 2020 08:51
...but the way the offseason played out, I'm reversing course on that. I think we're going to hang onto the experience we have a little more and use the expanded PS to hang on and develop the youngsters that way.
Definitely agree with you here. Especially when I read somewhere recently (can't find it, of course) that you can protect up to 4 guys on your PS per week from being poached by other teams.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
28 Jul 2020 09:43
Especially when I read somewhere recently (can't find it, of course) that you can protect up to 4 guys on your PS per week from being poached by other teams.
I just googled "NFL practice squad protect" and yeah, it's legit; reported by the Washington Post and carried on basically every team's version of packersnews.com.

lulu
Reactions:

Post by lulu »

I haven't been following things nearly as close as I have in the past but what is standing out to me in early predictions is the lack of Montraveous Adams and Cole Madison not even making the PS.

With the recent news of Funchess opting out, who's next up?

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

lulu wrote:
29 Jul 2020 08:54
I'll pencil Begelton into that final roster spot for myself.

I'm still not clear on the PS rules about veterans, also; I've heard they expanded the eligibility to be on the PS, but I haven't yet seen to what, exactly. I could easily see Madison cracking either the roster or PS, depending on a number of factors, but Taylor taking a pay cut to stay on the team hurt his chances. I think the guy from Indiana will start on the PUP even though he said he could be ready by camp. No reason to rush him

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
29 Jul 2020 09:09
lulu wrote:
29 Jul 2020 08:54
I'll pencil Begelton into that final roster spot for myself.

I'm still not clear on the PS rules about veterans, also; I've heard they expanded the eligibility to be on the PS, but I haven't yet seen to what, exactly. I could easily see Madison cracking either the roster or PS, depending on a number of factors, but Taylor taking a pay cut to stay on the team hurt his chances. I think the guy from Indiana will start on the PUP even though he said he could be ready by camp. No reason to rush him
Madison tore his ACL in late November last year. He will absolutely be on the PUP. I don't know how or if they can transition a PUP player to the practice squad after that. But I would think both Stepaniak and Madison will follow that same route of PUP to practice squad if they can.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I think Madison is done. They have a capable group of next ups and I don't think he is part of that.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
29 Jul 2020 09:30
I think Madison is done. They have a capable group of next ups and I don't think he is part of that.
I mean, that MAY be true, but based on what, though? Like, tearing an ACL during your de facto rookie year doesn't change anything about you as a prospect. It's just a recency bias

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
29 Jul 2020 10:19
NCF wrote:
I mean, that MAY be true, but based on what, though? Like, tearing an ACL during your de facto rookie year doesn't change anything about you as a prospect. It's just a recency bias
However, couple that with his absence in his actual rookie year, plus he will not be ready to start his 3rd year. Then we drafted 3 offensive linemen. How is he going to show that he make the team over those guys?
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
29 Jul 2020 10:53
YoHoChecko wrote:
29 Jul 2020 10:19
NCF wrote:
However, couple that with his absence in his actual rookie year, plus he will not be ready to start his 3rd year. Then we drafted 3 offensive linemen. How is he going to show that he make the team over those guys?
Ok, so the 5th round pick with a year of experience coming off of an injury, likely to start on the PUP will have less opportunity than the 6th round pick rookie coming off of an injury likely to start on the PUP?

Just because we, as fans, have lost patience or are interested in new guys doesn't make Madison any more or less of a longshot than this Steven S. guy from Indiana. The fact that Madison made the active roster last season and remained on it until his ACL tear in late November seems to indicate that he is roster-worthy when healthy; not indicate, prove by example.

He's absolutely a bubble player, but there is little to no evidence that his time is up or his chance to make an impression has passed. ESPECIALLY if you can place him on the PUP and basically punt on a roster decision for a while.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
29 Jul 2020 11:38
He's absolutely a bubble player, but there is little to no evidence that his time is up or his chance to make an impression has passed. ESPECIALLY if you can place him on the PUP and basically punt on a roster decision for a while.
Fine. I will say this, then. You will never see Madison suit up for a Packers regular season game again. Just my opinion, but a pretty strong one. Also, FWIW, I think Stepaniak was the best OL they selected in this draft. I would pencil him in as the most likely replacement at RG when he is ready. Also just my opinion, but I think he is going to be good.

Read More. Post Less.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

I picked M. Adams to make the 53. I don't see why not. Rookies can be stashed on the PS and Adams cannot. I agree that without a preseason teams are more likely to keep who they know for the PS than to be looking at who other teams cut.

As far as Cole Madison is concerned, I thought we were picking the 53 for opening day (assuming we have one). He will be on PUP and therefore is not relevant to this conversation. By mid October somebody will be on IR and there will be room for him, assuming again that there is a season.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
29 Jul 2020 11:44
Fine. I will say this, then. You will never see Madison suit up for a Packers regular season game again. Just my opinion, but a pretty strong one. Also, FWIW, I think Stepaniak was the best OL they selected in this draft. I would pencil him in as the most likely replacement at RG when he is ready. Also just my opinion, but I think he is going to be good.
I really liked some of the write-ups about how nasty and persistent he is. I'm not sure how I feel about the lower level of athleticism we've brought in of late (including Madison and Stepaniak and Hansen and Wagner and Turner). It seems to be a fundamental shift in thinking about the OLine away from a way of thinking that has brought us great value and results for multiple GM generations. Jon Runyan (athletic college OT with position versatility) is the only one drafted that fit our typical metrics over the past two years (Njimen, undrafted, also fits). Jenkins was close and the results don't lie so no complaints, but he didn't have the mobility of, say, Sitton and Lang and Linsley and Tretter from our past. It's fine to have exceptions (especially borderline exceptions that perform like Jenkins), but half the OL now seems to deviate from our previous norms.

But yeah, Stepaniak has 2021 RG written all over him.