Training Camp Pressers

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Training Camp Pressers

Post by YoHoChecko »

MLF and BG had their camp-opening press conferences yesterday; I hadn't seen much about them (actually any)

And as a bonus, the distanced-version of these means that you can actually hear the questions!

Gutey

MLF

It's MOSTLY about COVID stuff and how they'll adapt.

Some takeaways from me:
  • No other players have talked to management about option out
  • The scouting staff really liked that Lovett guy they claimed from the Chiefs
  • They're going to stick with 90-man, split squad until they have to cut down (though they're at 87 right now even including their COVID list)
I thought I had more takeaways yesterday when I listened but if I can't remember them today they must not be that important. :idn:

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Yeah the only real nugget I got was Gute did mention how excited he was for Yosh to get on the field and how he liked the Oline depth.

And it sounds like there is no plan to bring back Tramon at the moment.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

How many different ways can you say nothing?

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Only thing of use I kind of gathered was I am not expecting Tramon back this year at any point.

Little surprised, thought he played well last year.

Kind of screwed if Sullivan doesn't match his success or we have any kind of injury to King or Alexander, both of whom have shown will be likely at some point.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

BF004 wrote:
03 Aug 2020 12:09
Only thing of use I kind of gathered was I am not expecting Tramon back this year at any point.

Kind of screwed if Sullivan doesn't match his success or we have any kind of injury to King or Alexander, both of whom have shown will be likely at some point.
They’ve got 3 you g CBs they’re looking to step into the role between Sullivan, Holman, and Jackson. Might as well start pushing to get them out there.

Also the more money we spend now the less we have to roll over into next season when the cap will be significantly less.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
03 Aug 2020 11:16
To be fair, with one day of walkthroughs without the vets, I'm not sure what we could have expected anyone to say, but yeah

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Rodgers is going live here this afternoon, I believe.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

lupedafiasco wrote:
03 Aug 2020 12:15
BF004 wrote:

They’ve got 3 you g CBs they’re looking to step into the role between Sullivan, Holman, and Jackson. Might as well start pushing to get them out there.

Also the more money we spend now the less we have to roll over into next season when the cap will be significantly less.
I get all that, but not sure what out of Hollman or Jackson would make anyone think they will be able to amount to anything, guess I definitely just don't see it.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
It's true; we are totes screwed if our starters get injured and our young players don't perform well at a vital position. Which I imagine is true for virtually every team at virtually every vital position.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
03 Aug 2020 12:23
I get all that, but not sure what out of Hollman or Jackson would make anyone think they will be able to amount to anything, guess I definitely just don't see it.
Are you evaluating Hollman by his lack of playing time? Because there isn't much film to watch and evaluate and make a positive or negative interpretation.

What I've seen is that it is extremely difficult for rookies to get on the field under MLF, with Savage being the only day one starter in the bunch and Jenkins taking over only due to injury.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Kenny Clark at 1:30

Aaron Rodgers at 4:15

https://www.packers.com/schedule/event-calendar/
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
03 Aug 2020 12:30

What I've seen is that it is extremely difficult for rookies to get on the field under MLF, with Savage being the only day one starter in the bunch and Jenkins taking over only due to injury.
I don't think we can make that determination after only 1 season. LaFleur really hasn't shown he is more or less disposed to keeping rookies on the bench. Rookies don't start right out of the gate often, regardless of team. Last season, 55 drafted rookies started 9 or more games. 25 started 14 or more games and the Packers account for 2 of those. Taking a look at our rookies themselves, Gary wasn't going to start ahead of the Smiths. Savage started out of necessity. Sternberger went on IR right out of the gate. Jenkins took offensive snaps in week 2 and started every week after that. That would be the only partial example of Lafleur being reticent of starting rookies, more so than other coaches. Jenkins could have been starting early on without the injury to Taylor anyway, but we will never know that.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
03 Aug 2020 12:30

It is quite rare to have two competent starters year 1 from any rookie class. Don't think that evidence at all supports your premise.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
03 Aug 2020 12:55
I don't think we can make that determination after only 1 season. LaFleur really hasn't shown he is more or less disposed to keeping rookies on the bench. Rookies don't start right out of the gate often, regardless of team. Taking a look at our rookies themselves, Gary wasn't going to start ahead of the Smiths. Savage started out of necessity. Sternberger went on IR right out of the gate. Jenkins took offensive snaps in week 2 and started every week after that. That would be the only partial example of Lafleur being reticent of starting rookies, more so than other coaches. Jenkins could have been starting early on without the injury to Taylor anyway, but we will never know that.
I agree, it is too early to make that determination. But it is my preliminary hypothesis.

MLF said outright that he went with Taylor over Jenkins because of the comfort of experience. He kept Dexter Williams on the active roster, but when the RBs ahead of him got hurt, they pulled up Tra Carson from the PS and started him ahead of Williams. They played Hollman with the 2nd team and occasionally first team throughout camp, but when the season started, they went back to Brown and Jackson. Gary played behind not just the Smiths, but Fackrell.

Like you said, Savage was an outright necessity; Jenkins became basically a necessity when Taylor got hurt.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Last season, 55 drafted rookies started 9 or more games. 25 started 14 or more games and the Packers account for 2 of those.

I don't see those preseason looks and then subsequent "roster demotions" as outright not wanting to play rookies. I see them as giving rookies a chance, but they simply did not have what it took to be starters or large contributors at that time. I don't see it as shying away from rookies simply because they are rookies.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
03 Aug 2020 13:06
I don't see those preseason looks and then subsequent "roster demotions" as outright not wanting to play rookies. I see them as giving rookies a chance, but they simply did not have what it took to be starters or large contributors at that time. I don't see it as shying away from rookies simply because they are rookies.
But you're giving "credit" for playing Jenkins when he wasn't given the starting job. Had Taylor never gotten injured, he likely wouldn't have played. The fact that he was an All-Rookie OG and MLF chose to start a below average OG in front of him for the experience of comfort is actually some of my best evidence, yet y'all are counting it as "a rookie played." NOT BY CHOICE.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
03 Aug 2020 13:18
Pckfn23 wrote:
03 Aug 2020 13:06
But you're giving "credit" for playing Jenkins when he wasn't given the starting job. Had Taylor never gotten injured, he likely wouldn't have played. The fact that he was an All-Rookie OG and MLF chose to start a below average OG in front of him for the experience of comfort is actually some of my best evidence, yet y'all are counting it as "a rookie played." NOT BY CHOICE.
I think you are stretching that "evidence" too far. We don't know how long Jenkins would have stayed behind Taylor. You are assuming it would have been the entire season. It could have been week 3 regardless of the injury. We don't know. That's exactly what I said early. It's the only evidence really and it is incomplete because injury put him into the starting lineup.

Little suggests to me that Lafleur is more conservative than most in playing rookies.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Clark was up and down in just over 20 minutes. A lot of similar things to what LaFleur and Gutekunst talked about. A few actual football questions.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
03 Aug 2020 12:45
Kenny Clark at 1:30

Aaron Rodgers at 4:15

https://www.packers.com/schedule/event-calendar/
I am actively not looking forward to Rodgers' presser... until he's on the field, it's gonna be all 'Love/future with the team' all the time. He usually has a few good nuggets anyway, but still... :roll:

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

NCF wrote:
03 Aug 2020 11:16
TT was the master. But I found him (TT) entertaining doing it.