Packers Q1 Offensive Review

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Area to improve the most?

Drops
20%
Red Zone Efficiency
64%
Getting the ball out quicker
No votes
Sticking with the run game
16%

Total votes: 25

BF004
Reactions:

Packers Q1 Offensive Review

Post by BF004 »

Let's take a quick deep dive into this historically good offense.

:packers:

Team Stats
Category: Stat (Rank)
Points per game: 38.0 (1)
Point Differential per game: +12.8 (1)
Offensive points per game: 35.8 (1)
Points per play: 0.582 (1)
3rd Down %: 51.1% (5)
Red Zone TD %: 65% (13)
TOP: 34:20 (1)
Run/Pass %: 45.6% (10)

1st Quarter points per game: 4.0 (23)
2nd Quarter points per game: 14.0 (1)
3rd Quarter points per game: 11.2 (1)
4th Quarter points per game: 8.8 (11)

Yards per game: 445.5 (2) - 1. Dallas 509, 3. Seattle 416
Yards per play: 6.8 (1)
Rush yards per game: 150.8 (4)
Rush yards per play: 5.1 (5)
Pass yards per game: 294.8 (4)
Pass yards per attempt: 8.5 (3)
Adj net yds/pass attempt: 10.1 (1)
Sacks per game: 0.8 (1)

Notable Individual Stats
Aaron Rodgers - 98/139 70.5% 1214 yards 13 TD 0 INT's 128.4 rating 92.8 QBR
5th in yards, 2nd in TD's, 4th in y/a, #1 in QBR, #2 rating

Aaron Jones - 65, 374, 5.8 average, 4 TD
2nd in yards, #6 average, 2nd in rushing TD's
15 catches, 135 yards, 2 TD's
6 Total TD's - 2nd

Robert Tonyan - leads NFL in receiving TDs (5) tied with Mike Evans

:hail:

What other stats we got, lot more to dig into

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

The one that matters. 4-0

Carl Gerbschmidt
Reactions:

Post by Carl Gerbschmidt »

Yah but they drafted a QB that does not need to dress.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

BF004 wrote:
06 Oct 2020 09:06
Aaron Rodgers - 92.8 QBR

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Top Pass Catcher in Each Game:

Week 1 - Davante Adams - 14 receptions. 156 yards. 2 TDs.
Week 2 - Aaron Jones - 4 receptions. 68 yards. TD
Week 3 - Allen Lazard - 6 receptions. 146 yards. TD.
Week 4 - Robert Tonyan / Jamaal Williams - 6 receptions. 98 Yards. 3 TDs. 8 receptions. 95 yards.

I mean look at that. Each week a different spotlight player and it is comprised of 2 WRs, 2 RBs and a Tight End.

Talk about spreading the ball around.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Hmmm, I was gonna post some updates in my offensive prediction thread, but since this exists, seems better suited.

Here are some lists of where we were in 2019, where we are in 2020, and where that projects us to be after a full season of 2020:
image.png
image.png (18.7 KiB) Viewed 596 times
image.png
image.png (14.92 KiB) Viewed 596 times
image.png
image.png (23.21 KiB) Viewed 596 times
*Adams' and WR3(Lazard)'s totals are projected as if they play every remaining game... obvi that's not the case for Lazard, but that also means by then there might be a different "WR3" so I'm just rolling with it for the time being.

Also,
WR2: MVS
WR3: Lazard
RB2: J. WIlliams
TE1: Big Bob

things we didn't know pre-season

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

As to the poll question, I voted RZ efficiency, but I think it's really short-yardage, in general. It's been a weakness for years and it has been horrendous early on this year.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

If only we had a running back who could push a pile of 2 or more defenders an additional 2 yards because he was so big and strong even when being stuff at the line.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
06 Oct 2020 10:20
As to the poll question, I voted RZ efficiency, but I think it's really short-yardage, in general. It's been a weakness for years and it has been horrendous early on this year.
Agreed. Gotta get AJ Dillon involved there as the season goes on

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

NCF wrote:
06 Oct 2020 10:20
That's been one of the long-held criticisms of the outside zone and that blocking style - the OL doesn't get as much chance to practice moving the Big DL in close quarters. I'm sure GB uses some Power, but they just don't get as many reps. And on those short yardage plays, you can't count on getting the DL moving laterally, they are dug in and somebody has to root them out. The 2020 OL has been playing lights out everywhere except in the phone booth. Hopefully that improves as the season moves along.

As far as Dillon - he's learning pass pro and a dizzying array of motions and shifts - both of those are a huge leap from college.
Then you have aiming points, timing with the OL, line calls from Rodgers etc. Its a lot to digest and get good at, especially with the limited offseason he had. GB needs him competent in November- Feb, so I really don't mind the limited snaps so far. Few things are more potent than a fresh-legged RB coming on strong late in the season.
IT. IS. TIME

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BSA wrote:
06 Oct 2020 23:35
As far as Dillon - he's learning pass pro and a dizzying array of motions and shifts - both of those are a huge leap from college.
Then you have aiming points, timing with the OL, line calls from Rodgers etc. Its a lot to digest and get good at, especially with the limited offseason he had. GB needs him competent in November- Feb, so I really don't mind the limited snaps so far. Few things are more potent than a fresh-legged RB coming on strong late in the season.
He doesn't need all that to be the a 3rd & 1 or 4th & 1 hammer from time to time.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
07 Oct 2020 08:16
BSA wrote:
He doesn't need all that to be the a 3rd & 1 or 4th & 1 hammer from time to time.
Exactly.

And especially now that both Jones and Williams have failed on these, I think it's time to bring in Dillon. I get it when you don't want to hurt a rookie's psyche. I mean Shepherd for instance. The poor dude just can't catch a break. You want to set your rookies up for success.

But now Dillon can come in when both 33 and 30 have failed on these. The worst he can do is fumble. The worst likely he can do is not convert and the best he can do is convert.

The most likely outcome is he is the same as the other backs or he converts and gets a defined role with the team this season.
Yoop wrote:

BSA
Reactions:

Post by BSA »

YoHoChecko wrote:
Perhaps. But it is a huge tell to the defense - and at that point, its mano y mano and so far the Packers OL has failed in those tests. The 4th and goal from the 1 fails with Dillon or Williams- it wasn't a lack of RB girth that stopped that play. It was the fact they knew it was coming, and GB couldn't block their front. MLF says he will get Dillon more involved going forward - and I believe him.
IT. IS. TIME

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BSA wrote:
07 Oct 2020 09:36
YoHoChecko wrote:
Perhaps. But it is a huge tell to the defense - and at that point, its mano y mano and so far the Packers OL has failed in those tests. The 4th and goal from the 1 fails with Dillon or Williams- it wasn't a lack of RB girth that stopped that play. It was the fact they knew it was coming, and GB couldn't block their front. MLF says he will get Dillon more involved going forward - and I believe him.
T be clear, I'm not complaining about Dillon's usage generally. Coming in late in games for a few pounding carries with the lead is perfect for a rookie in a system that, as you mentioned, has a lot going on.

But carving out a role as a short-yardage back on a team that has struggled in short yardage situations with both of its top backs also isn't a big ask. We drafted a 250 pound RB for a reason. Sometimes short yardage pickups are more art than force; sometimes they're more force than art. Jones has had a nose for the endzone in his career, but Williams has not; and short-yardage has not been a strength of either. The best way to work rookies in is to play to their strengths, and I think this is a scenario where our rookie's strengths might help compensate for our team's current weakness. If our OL is failing the test, we might need to try a RB that is better suited to win those battles with force.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I wonder how Dillon would have done on that 4th down.

I mean Williams made a sick cutback to avoid the 3 initial defenders that plowed through the line. I don't know if Dillon would have done that. But I gaurantee you Dillon would have been able to get across the goal line if he were in Williams position after the cutback.
Yoop wrote:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

go pak go wrote:
07 Oct 2020 10:04

I mean Williams made a sick cutback to avoid the 3 initial defenders that plowed through the line. I don't know if Dillon would have done that. But I gaurantee you Dillon would have been able to get across the goal line if he were in Williams position after the cutback.
The entire right side whiffed. You can pick any back you want in the history of the league and they’re going down there.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

lupedafiasco wrote:
07 Oct 2020 10:24
go pak go wrote:
07 Oct 2020 10:04

The entire right side whiffed. You can pick any back you want in the history of the league and they’re going down there.
Yep. I like Jones' slipperiness at the goalline and I like the potential of Dillon's power, but any RB is going to fail when they are getting hit in the backfield.

Read More. Post Less.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

YoHoChecko wrote:
BSA wrote:
Well, it didn't help that our blocking TE Marcedes Lewis was declared inactive. And we have no Kuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhn these days.

Ghost_Lombardi
Reactions:

Post by Ghost_Lombardi »

Drops. Drops kill drives. Drops result in dead drives and punts. They put the defense back on the field.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Through four games the 2 most pleasant surprises to me about the offense have been:

1) the OL has been great no matter who we’ve thrown out there. Probably better in pass pro than run blocking, but I was concerned about the right side of the line...and they have shown that concern to be overblown.

2) Rodgers likes the dump off/the pass to the rb/the short passes now. Total change from last year. Totally awesome change from last year. The whole field must be defended now.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23