How you became a fan

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Packfntk
Reactions:

How you became a fan

Post by Packfntk »

Figured since it is slow time, and we are in our new home, should do this again since it has been a number of years and we have some new faces. Last time we did this, there were some interesting stories on some people, so let's try it again!

How did you become a fan of the 13 time World Champion Green Bay Packers?

Me, I was born and raised in GB. Went to college and moved back to raise my family. Being born in GB, you don't really have a choice, especially in my family. I remember as a baby I was in green and gold. there was a small period around ages 9-10 where I liked the 49ers as well, but that is because I loved Jerry Rice. But the Packers have been one of the most consistent things in my life. We even got to go in my seats and take pictures on our wedding day!

What say you, where and how did your fandom start?
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I was born.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Born into Packers family. I remember a few moments from the Cardiac Pack, but really 1990 is when I started watching most of full games. When Majik almost pulled off back-to-back victories against the 49ers is the first game I really remember vividly. To this day, the 1990 Packers are probably one of my favorite versions of the team over the years. They were on the verge of doing something special until they went to Phoenix and Majik was no more.

Read More. Post Less.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Got into a real bad injury when I was 4, got a huge cut on my arm. Noticed my blood was green and gold.

:packers:

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

When deciding where to locate a 17-year-old Finnish teen, some exchange student coordinator decided to forgo my wishes of California, Colorado and Florida, and with an evil grin on his face, clicked WI. I didn't get the tan I expected in my year in the States, got the Packers instead.

Aside from avoiding getting killed by host parents, there were several aspects of the Packers that fascinated me from the start:
- Publicly owned team - My hometown's ice hockey team was like that, too, and I respected that
- Games in the snow - We play outdoors hockey all the time, so football in the snow was and is so cool for me
- Underdog story - Not on the field, but as a small-town team thriving in a league of big business and big cities
- Favre

Turk's B.B.C.
Reactions:

Post by Turk's B.B.C. »

Good story, Salmar!
I was born in '64, and my older siblings made it crystal clear that l was gonna cheer for the Pack. So, my earliest memories were of Phil Bengston and the twilight of Bart's career. I remember in first grade when Vince passed away and a bunch of us were on the playground as shocked as a bunch of first-graders who didn't understand mortality could be.
I guess being a Packer backer was as natural to me as breathing air. Just something you automatically do. Hanging with them through the bad years was a lot easier with that mentality, and it made our successful years, from the Majik Man forward, that much bigger of a reward.
We Packer fans are truly blessed!

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

My dad and grandpa are Packers fans so the games were on and I just started watching. The first game I can recall watching was the 1994 playoff game against Dallas ( :evil: ) and then the magical 1995 season started and I was hooked. (Thanks again for dropping that pass Yancy Thigpen!)
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

Was the first Packers fan in the family. The first football game I ever watched had the Green Bay Packers losing. Decided that I would follow them from then on. Other than that.... nothing special. I've bled this team since.

Since then I've converted two family members. One was a Bucs fan, the other a Chiefs fan.
RIP JustJeff

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

My Dad and Grandpa were Packers fans.........so I am a third generation Packer Backer. My Grandpa had season tickets to the Milwaukee games starting in the early-1960s, and those tickets morphed into 40-yard line Gold Package tickets that are still in my family today. Grew up knowing who Ray Nitschke, Elijah Pitts, Bart Starr, Jim Taylor, Marv Fleming, Boyd Dowler, Carroll Dale, Willie Davis and Willie Wood were. And always recognized Ray Scott's voice. First game I went to was November 12, 1967 Packers vs. Browns when Travis Williams ran back to 2 kickoffs for TDs and the Packers won 55-7 (I still have the game program). I vaguely recall the controversy of the Packers-Colts sudden death game from the 1965 season, the talk that surrounded Paul Hornung's suspension, and when Donny Anderson became our left footed punter. I remember Elijah Pitts was our starting running back after Hornung got hurt - before Anderson won the job. I remember watching on color TV the Packers-Rams 1967 playoff game that was played in Milwaukee which my Dad and Grandpa attended, and also Super Bowl I and II on TV. The Packers have been in my blood since the 1960s.......its the Lombardi quotes and a deep interest in watching Packers football that seem to have endured most of my life.

We run to win, not just to be in the race.
Vince Lombardi

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

I had a dad and 3 older brothers who were all aboard the Packer train by the time I knew what football was. Grew up in Sheboygan so it wasn’t hard to get immersed in it. My first Packer memories were of John Brockington bulldozing his way through defenses in the early 70’s and my old man going ballistic when he heard about the Hadl trade. I swear, our household was on eggshells for a month after that bonehead Devine deal!

Those years you had to take what you could get in terms of small victories. Ezra Johnson sacking the snot out of Tommy Kramer in a typical losing effort. Mike “Mad Dog” Douglas making tackles all over the field. Lynn Dickey floating a beautiful downfield pass to James Lofton while in comeback mode.

Some Sundays, when they put it all together, they could beat the best teams ala the defending champ Washington Redskins on MNF. Other weeks they couldn’t get out of their own way. It was those years, though, that really set the hook.

I tried following the Redskins when I moved to Virginia back in 2009. I even joined one of their fan forums. Just wouldn’t take, though. I’ve been Green and Gold for all my life and whether good or bad, I’ll follow these boys til my last breath.

Nitschke66
Reactions:

Post by Nitschke66 »

I was also the first Packers fan in my immediate family. I know exactly when it happened. I was nine years old, growing up in Indianapolis. I remember I saw a color photo of Dave Robinson tackling Don Meredith in the championship game of 1966. I believe it was in Sports Illustrated magazine. Robinson's arms were draped around Meredith's neck as he pulled him to the ground and caused an interception. I was fascinated by the Packers story and local history. At the time, I had no idea where Green Bay was located and had to go look it up. I've been loyal Packers fan since that day. I was fortunate to make my first pilgrimage to visit Lambeau Field two years ago as a special birthday gift from my daughter. Loved every moment!

Gunzaan
Reactions:

Post by Gunzaan »

Charles Martin picked up and slammed Jim McMahon to the ground way after the play was over. My dad was furious and I instantly became a fan.

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Gunzaan wrote:
26 Mar 2020 21:56
Charles Martin picked up and slammed Jim McMahon to the ground way after the play was over. My dad was furious and I instantly became a fan.
That. Is. Freaking. Awesome! :beer2:
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

I was a Bengals fan as a kid. Icky Woods and Boomer. Plus I like/d tigers. Then became a Vikings fan mostly to !@#$ off my family. Also kinda liked Warren Moon, wrote him a letter once in school.

Then I got to be 18-19, grew up and got smart, and actually started caring about football. Packers were the only answer.
RIP JustJeff

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

I too am a 3rd generation Packer fan. I was born and raised in GB too. My father transferred his father's Packers share to me back in the early 80s. :packers:

Bogey
Reactions:

Post by Bogey »

1959. My Dad brought home our first TV. Black and white of course. Sunday after church he turned on the TV and he and I watched the Packers play for the first time. Guy named Vince Lombardi had just taken over as coach. Guy named Jimmy Taylor was a battering ram fullback. Loved him immediately. Still my favorite all-time Packer. Finally got to meet him three years ago during an Alumni game at Lambeau. I was working at my escalator when a woman came up and asked me where the American Family gate was. Nice lady with a Southern accent. I pointed her in that direction and she walked off. I turned to watch to make sure she was headed the right way and saw she was walking toward Jimmy Taylor who was waiting for her. Obviously his wife. They started walking away and I ran as fast as I could (not very fast at my age and with bad knees) toward them, shouting "Mr. Taylor! Mr. Taylor!" They stopped, I caught up and reached out my hand. "Mr. Taylor you were my first sports hero and still my favorite Packer." He and his wife smiled huge smiles, thanked me and walked away. Last time he was at Lambeau. He died the following year.
The Packers lunatic fringe is more visible because of sheer numbers. The Packers have one of the largest fan bases in all of sports. If the fringe percentage is the same as with other teams, then we end up with larger volumes of nut jobs. - JustJeff

Bogey
Reactions:

Post by Bogey »

Bogey wrote:
26 Mar 2020 23:20
he and I watched the Packers play for the first time.
We didn't live in Green Bay at the time. Lived in Rice Lake on the western side of the state. Until we got that TV, only could listen to the Packers on radio.
The Packers lunatic fringe is more visible because of sheer numbers. The Packers have one of the largest fan bases in all of sports. If the fringe percentage is the same as with other teams, then we end up with larger volumes of nut jobs. - JustJeff

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

NCF wrote:
26 Mar 2020 13:51
Born into Packers family. I remember a few moments from the Cardiac Pack, but really 1990 is when I started watching most of full games. When Majik almost pulled off back-to-back victories against the 49ers is the first game I really remember vividly. To this day, the 1990 Packers are probably one of my favorite versions of the team over the years. They were on the verge of doing something special until they went to Phoenix and Majik was no more.
Funny how there are certain non-Super Bowl seasons that stand out and we are able to remember them with fondness. I feel that way about the 2004 season. That was one of the most exciting seasons I can remember, and it wasn't just because of the Packers. In hindsight there were multiple generational talents entering their prime at the same time. It all made for some great storylines. The Brady-Manning rivalry was just coming to fruition. Old man Favre gunning for his one last championship. The Culpepper-Moss connection made for some of the most entertaining divisional games that I can remember. I believe that was also Ben Roethlisberger's rookie season when Pitt went 15-1. And of course T.O. and his drama in Philadelphia.

Anyway I'm getting off topic. Carry on. :lol:

Trudge
Reactions:

Post by Trudge »

I remember hearing on and off again through the 93 and 94 seasons. Finally made it throw watching a game against the Rams, but I remember the 94 playoff game where Farve hooked up with Sharpe.

Then it wasn't till we played the Chiefs where I got to go with my dad. Matt Houle had us over for that game, made brats at halftime, was a dream to be had.
Us reads viewers a fur. Thats guys a weeks shared reds.

Never forget where you came from....

texas
Reactions:

Post by texas »

I was in Kindergarten and didn't care about sports, but I kept hearing about the Cowboys and how everyone really liked them, so I decided to be a Cowboys fan, against the wishes of my parents and entire extended family (who are from Wisconsin and are all Packers fans). The Cowboys won the Super Bowl that year, I think that was the first football game I ever watched actually, but by the following season it just didn't feel right and I switched to the Packers (and then they won the SB), and I have been a Packers fan ever since.