2021 UDFA

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

paco
Reactions:

2021 UDFA

Post by paco »

Here's a thread to talk about round 8.

Packers signed....
Christian Uphoff, S, Illinois State
Jack Heflin, DT, Iowa
Carlo Kemp, DT, Michigan
Bailey Gaither, WR, San Jose State
Jon Dietzen, OL, Wisconsin
Jacob Capra, OL, San Diego State
Coy Cronk, OL, Iowa
Last edited by paco on 02 May 2021 15:20, edited 6 times in total.
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Wish List: (but I bet many are here because of character or injury issues we don't know about)

Austin Watkins
Cade Johnson
Marvin Wilson
Dylan Moses
Tamorrion Terry
Jamie Newman (QB)
Travon Grimes
Drake Jackson
Tony Poljan
Charles Snowden
Javian Hawkins
Jonathan Adams
Mac MacCain III
Josh Imatorbhebhe

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Marvin Wilson got a big deal with the Browns.
RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

paco wrote:
01 May 2021 18:00
I have heard of his name and just looked him up an hour ago to try to figure out why or what I had heard and I haven't figured it out yet.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

UGH, Detroit keeps it up and gets UDFA Jonathan Adams from Ark St.

Total James Jones. 6'2 or 6'3" physical as heck. WEEKLY "you got Mossed" catches. Struggles with separation.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

RIP JustJeff

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Packers acting like going after big WR's this year is the absolute worst thing to do.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

go pak go wrote:
01 May 2021 19:09
Packers acting like going after big WR's this year is the absolute worst thing to do.
Gutey said it. He acknowledged that the smaller, slot type guys, they haven't had on the team in a while and they wanted to fill that need. Same with a guy like Shemar as a slot CB, and T.J. as a big run stuffer.
RIP JustJeff

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

NCF wrote:
01 May 2021 19:24
Won't be surprised if he supplants someone like Patrick.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Packersnews.com's overview of 7 of the UDFAs:
S Christian Uphoff, Illinois State, 6-2, 209: Opted out of the team’s spring season but became the school’s first invitee to the Senior Bowl. He played in 37 games and started 15, totalling 94 tackles, one sack, three interceptions and 16 pass breakups. At his pro day, he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.63 seconds, had a vertical jump of 33 inches and bench-pressed 225 pounds 17 times. Despite his slow 40 time, he was an outstanding kick returner, averaging 27 yards per attempt over his three seasons.

DT Carlo Kemp
, Michigan: 6-2½, 281: Appeared in 46 games and started 29. Was a team captain in ’19 and ’20. Played in six games as a senior and had two sacks and three tackles for loss. Over four seasons he had 4½ sacks ad 10 tackles for loss. Played on the same defensive line as Packers linebacker Rashan Gary in ’17 and ’18. Considered a potential inside pass rusher but has short arms. He had an impressive 27 reps on the bench press and ran the 40-yard dash in 5.08 seconds.

OT Coy Cronk, Iowa, 6-4, 318: Has long arms (34¼ inches) and left tackle experience ’20. Started every game at left tackle for first three seasons at Indiana and then injured his ankle and missed most of the ’20 season. He transferred to Iowa as a graduate student and played right tackle, but struggled and shared playing time. Did not participate in on-field testing at his pro day.

DL Jack Heflin, Iowa, 6-3, 304: Played his first four years at Northern Illinois, starting 29 of 38 games and 72 tackles, nine sacks and 17½ tackles for loss. Transferred to Iowa to play his senior season and started all eight games, finishing with 21 tackles, one sack and 3½ tackles for loss. He bench-pressed 225 pounds 25 times and ran the 40 in 5.32 seconds. He projects as a run-down player in the NFL.

WR Bailey Gather, San Jose State, 6-1, 182: Started 27 games and ranks second all-time at the school with 18 touchdown receptions, well ahead of SJSU alum James Jones (12). He averaged 16.5 yards per catch and eight games with 100 or more yards receiving. In addition to his receiving role, he plays on special teams and has blocked two points. He was dynamic on kickoff returns, averaging 27 yards. He also has punt return ability. Ran the 40-yard dash in 4.45 seconds.

OT Jon Dietzen, Wisconsin, 6-4½, 312: Played in 42 games and started 39 with 24 starts at left guard, 14 starts at left tackle and one start at right guard. In ’20 he started four games at left guard, two games at left tackle and one game right guard. Played left tackle for the Badgers in ’18, but numerous lower leg injuries led him to give up football in ’19. However, after feeling refreshed, he came back and played the entire ’20 season. Good arm length at 33 ¾ inches, but he could wind up at guard. Registered 19 on the bench press.

OT Jacob Capra, San Diego State, 6-5, 310: Keeping with the theme of versatile offensive linemen, Capra is a tackle who might profile more as a guard. Transferred to San Diego State in 2019 after three seasons with Oregon. Started at both tackle spots as a junior in 2019 before sliding into left guard spot as a senior last season.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

paco wrote:
01 May 2021 18:47
I really hope Bailey makes the team. I will buy a Jersey.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Looks like even with Amari in the fold we’re still chasing kick return in the UDFA class which I like.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

paco wrote:
01 May 2021 19:14
go pak go wrote:
01 May 2021 19:09
Gutey said it. He acknowledged that the smaller, slot type guys, they haven't had on the team in a while and they wanted to fill that need. Same with a guy like Shemar as a slot CB, and T.J. as a big run stuffer.
yep,all we have to do is go look at how well all the motion and stuff worked prior to Ervins injury, Matts schemes revolve around stuff like that, once Ervin showed some success defenses had to honor that and shift accordingly, which left the other side open to mis direction runs and passes.

I agree with this approach bring in a bunch of players, someone is bound to do well.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

I updated the first post with all the signings I could find. So I guess we'll have 42 offensive linemen under contract.
RIP JustJeff

kampmanfan4life
Reactions:

Post by kampmanfan4life »

We will probably at least bring one or two more QB's to camp.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

McGinn seems kind of bullish on Uphoff
By Bob McGinn May 2, 2021 23
At the start of the college scouting year, reports and grades are handed out by scouts for the National Football Scouting and BLESTO combines in the spring before a player’s senior year.

In 2019, Illinois State running back James Robinson received a 5.4 grade from NFS and Jeremy Chinn, a safety from Southern Illinois, got a 5.2.

In 2020, another player from Illinois State, safety Christian Uphoff, was given a 5.5.

Robinson, a 1,000-yard rusher last season after signing as a free agent for the Jacksonville Jaguars, and Chinn, the Carolina Panthers’ second-round draft choice, both made the All-Rookie team.

Like Robinson, Uphoff wasn’t drafted, and on Saturday night he agreed to a free-agent contract with the Green Bay Packers. If Uphoff’s impact can in any way approximate those of his Missouri Valley Conference brethren, the Packers would be ecstatic.

“I’m trying to be like Jeremy Chinn,” Uphoff said late Saturday from his parents’ home in Washington, Ill. “I look up to that guy a lot. He’s a great player. Obviously, we come from the same conference. That’s who I am really trying to be like.”

Neither Chinn nor Uphoff had any stars attached to his recruiting resume. Chinn wasn’t all that highly regarded until the combine in February 2020 when, at 6-foot-3 and 222 pounds, he ran a blistering 4.40 40 to go with a 41-inch vertical jump and a broad jump of 11-6. Carolina drafted Chinn with the final pick of the second round.

Uphoff (6-foot-2, 210) never had a combine. He also didn’t have a senior season. The Missouri Valley postponed its fall campaign until spring, but when Uphoff was invited to the Senior Bowl, he declared for the draft.

There were strong indications that Uphoff would be drafted. In the last month, an NFC scout predicted his landing spot would be the fourth or fifth round, an AFC scout guessed sixth or seventh round, and another AFC evaluator said simply on Day 3. Another NFC personnel man saw Uphoff as a free agent.

Uphoff took his cellphone to the golf course Saturday, not ready to watch his fate play out on live TV. His phone never rang until late, and that was from his agent informing him that 10 teams hoped to procure his services as a free agent.

It was a thin year at safety. Discounting the four safeties that were drafted as linebackers, just 17 pure safeties were selected.

Uphoff made a solid impression as an FCS player at the Senior Bowl. He was chosen as the top safety on the National team for the entire week, besting Virginia Tech’s Divine Deablo, Pittsburgh’s Damar Hamlin and Oklahoma’s Tre Norwood.

Those three players all were drafted, in the third, sixth and seventh rounds, respectively.

So why wasn’t Uphoff, who had that substantial grade from NFS the last time he played?

“I just didn’t have my senior-year tape,” Uphoff said. “If I would have had that, I would have been fine.”

Uphoff probably still would have heard his name called if his pro day in Normal, Ill., an event on March 17 attended by representatives of 23 NFL teams, hadn’t been so detrimental to his chances.

After the Senior Bowl, Uphoff was training at EXOS facility in Frisco, Texas, when he pulled his hamstring running a 40-yard dash during a simulated combine. That was three weeks before his pro day.

“I couldn’t even run for two weeks,” he said. “They were, like, ‘Take it easy, take it easy.’ I was, like, ‘I need to do something.’ The last week before pro day, I would jog. I would practice drills, but I couldn’t go full speed until pro day.”

The weather that day was 35 degrees, it was raining and the winds swirled at 15 to 20 mph. On a less-than-ideal surface, he clocked 4.65 on the first 40 and 4.63 on the second.

“That’s horrible,” Uphoff said. “Before I pulled my hamstring, I was running like 4.4s consistently. It was just a &%$@ show.”

His other testing results were equally unimpressive. Said an AFC scout: “After the 4.64, I’ll forget the guy.”

Pro football can be a cruel endeavor.

“It happened,” Uphoff said. “If I would have had better numbers, I’m sure I would have been drafted. You’ve got to deal with it.”

Last year, safety Daniel Thomas of Auburn received a signing bonus of $317,116 from the Jaguars after being selected in the middle of the fifth round. Uphoff’s signing bonus from Green Bay was $310,116 less than Thomas’.

“It’s going to give me more motivation to come in there and kick somebody’s ass,” Uphoff said. “I’m telling you, I’m fast. My hamstring is 100 percent now. I can’t wait to get there and show these guys.”