2020 Positional Draft Talk - OL

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

2020 Positional Draft Talk - OL

Post by Pckfn23 »

McShay's Latest Top 99:
8. Tristan Wirfs, OT, Iowa (93)
10. Mekhi Becton, OT, Louisville (92)
12. Jedrick Wills Jr., OT, Alabama (91)
18. Andrew Thomas, OT, Georgia (90)
29. Josh Jones, OT, Houston (88)
35. Austin Jackson, OT, USC (86)
36. Cesar Ruiz, C, Michigan (86)
58. Tyler Biadasz, C, Wisconsin (81)
64. Netane Muti, G, Fresno State (79)
65. Isaiah Wilson, OT, Georgia (79)
78. Trey Adams, OT, Washington (76)
83. Prince Tega Wanogho, OT, Auburn (75)
86. Saahdiq Charles, OT, LSU (74)
95. Keith Ismael, C, San Diego State (70)
96. John Simpson, G, Clemson (70)
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Backthepack4ever
Reactions:

Post by Backthepack4ever »

Adams was a border line 1st last season. Is he that low because of injuries or did he mot play well this season??

I'm not high in wills at all

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Backthepack4ever wrote:
30 Mar 2020 12:59
Yeah, the consensus is all over the place on him. Andrew Thomas, too. I have seen people banging the table that he's a Top-10 lock and others think he is the 4th OT off the board and goes in the mid-to-late 1st.

Read More. Post Less.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

If Andrew Thomas falls to 30....do ya take him?
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

go pak go wrote:
30 Mar 2020 14:21
Absolutely.

Read More. Post Less.

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

NCF wrote:
30 Mar 2020 14:26
go pak go wrote:
Absolutely.
Totally, I kind of forgot about him actually. He's a monster.
RIP JustJeff

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
NO, take Laviska Shenault :aok:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Pckfn23 wrote:
30 Mar 2020 12:24
McShay's Latest Top 99:
8. Tristan Wirfs, OT, Iowa (93)
10. Mekhi Becton, OT, Louisville (92)
12. Jedrick Wills Jr., OT, Alabama (91)
18. Andrew Thomas, OT, Georgia (90)
29. Josh Jones, OT, Houston (88)
35. Austin Jackson, OT, USC (86)
36. Cesar Ruiz, C, Michigan (86)
58. Tyler Biadasz, C, Wisconsin (81)
64. Netane Muti, G, Fresno State (79)
65. Isaiah Wilson, OT, Georgia (79)
78. Trey Adams, OT, Washington (76)
83. Prince Tega Wanogho, OT, Auburn (75)
86. Saahdiq Charles, OT, LSU (74)
95. Keith Ismael, C, San Diego State (70)
96. John Simpson, G, Clemson (70)
If that's the top 99, I'll wait until at least round 3. The top guys will be gone early and the rest don't seem like great value. Though the Packers have been looking into Josh Jones, apparently.

There are some guys I like for the late 3rd round that aren't on the list, like a Ben Bartch or Ezra Cleveland, but I'm not loving the ability for us to fill this in the first two rounds, value-wise (unless Thomas somehow falls to 30)

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

McGinn on OL
My poll of 17 personnel people over the last two weeks showed four juniors packed together at the top with almost no separation. Scouts were asked to rank their top six offensive linemen, with a first-place vote worth 6 points, a second worth 5 and so on. Thomas led with 78 points and seven firsts but tight on his heels were Becton (75, five), Wills (71, two) and Wirfs (71, three).

“There’s no consensus with these guys,” an NFC personnel director said. “We have different orders between scouts, coaches. It’s kind of your flavor. You probably will get six tackles (in the first round) but there’s only four you feel good about. Then it falls off.”

There have been only two instances in my polling over the last 12 years in which the vote for the best offensive linemen had so little clarity at the top.

In 2017, Alabama’s Cam Robinson led with 59 points followed by Utah’s Garett Bolles with 57 and Wisconsin’s Ryan Ramczyk with 53. In 2009, Baylor’s Jason Smith led with 74 points followed by Alabama’s Andre Smith with 70 and Virginia’s Eugene Monroe with 64.

Ramczyk, the No. 32 pick, made first-team All-Pro this season for New Orleans whereas Bolles (No. 20, Denver) and Robinson (No. 34, Jacksonville) remain below-average starters. A decade before, Monroe (No. 10, Jacksonville) enjoyed a slightly better career than Andre Smith (No. 6, Cincinnati), although neither made a Pro Bowl, whereas Jason Smith (No. 2, St. Louis) saw his career ruined by concussions.

Before the draft in 2009, Chicago GM Jerry Angelo offered perspective that rings true today.

“One thing about tackles, the reason they go in the first round is the value,” said Angelo. “Not necessarily because they’re the 25th, 26th-best player in the draft. It’s the value of the position. That’s what speaks volumes.”

There was a precipitous drop off to fifth place in this year’s poll. That was Cesar Ruiz, who totaled 16 points. Others receiving votes were Austin Jackson (12), Isaiah Wilson (10), Josh Jones (five), Ezra Cleveland (four), Lloyd Cushenberry (four), Matt Hennessy (four), Hakeem Adeniji (three), Matt Peart (two) and Robert Hunt and Shane LeMieux, each one.

Meanwhile, at center, some teams like the group while others don’t. There seemed to be close to unanimity when it came to guard, where one team emerged from meetings with merely three draftable players.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Good stuff [mention]Pckfn23[/mention] , keep 'em coming.

It could be great for the Packers if there was a run on OTs in the 1st round due to limited supply (unless Gutey wants one and sees Wagner as a short term placeholder). Would conceivably make Murray/Queen drop, or make trading back for a WR even more of a possibility.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Backthepack4ever wrote:
30 Mar 2020 12:59
Adams was a border line 1st last season. Is he that low because of injuries or did he mot play well this season??

All injuries for Adams. He already has one ACL year and all types of back issues having to do with the discs. I would take him if he’s still there in the 3rd.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

salmar80 wrote:
16 Apr 2020 14:29
Good stuff @Pckfn23 , keep 'em coming.

It could be great for the Packers if there was a run on OTs in the 1st round due to limited supply (unless Gutey wants one and sees Wagner as a short term placeholder). Would conceivably make Murray/Queen drop, or make trading back for a WR even more of a possibility.

I'm hoping a run happens. I don't see us having a shot at the top 4 and that is honestly the ones I would consider using a 1st round pick on. I would be disappointed if Josh Jones is our pick at 30.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I got the following:

Round 1:
Wirfs
Becton
Wils
Jones
Thomas

Round 2:
Jackson
Ruiz
Tega
Wilson
Muti
Cleveland

Round 3:
Cushenberry
Biadasz
Niang

I could even see Jackson and Ruiz going in Round 1.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

I'd move Ezra Cleveland up. Fringe 1st-rounder.

Read More. Post Less.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

NCF wrote:
21 Apr 2020 08:37
Ya, not ranked within the tier. I would have him just after Jackson as the 7th OT.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Pckfn23 wrote:
21 Apr 2020 08:51
NCF wrote:
21 Apr 2020 08:37
Ya, not ranked within the tier. I would have him just after Jackson as the 7th OT.
Got it. :aok:

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Jon Runyan, Jr. is the safest Day Three pick in the draft.

He hits every athletic benchmark, he has the smarts, the attitude, the toughness. He grew up around the game.

This position is tough with the massive lack of agility drills conducted this year. A startlingly low number of lineman hit the Packers' traditional thresholds, though I'm not sure how strictly we're sticking to those anymore.

Jon Runyan, ranked as a 5th-7th rounder, is one of those.

Would also like to see Danny Pinter as a PS candidate to learn C (was mostly an OT in college, has to move to OG, but C would be even better).

Kyle Murphy and Matt Hennessy would be good gets, also.

The only pure OT prospect that hits all the marks is Cleveland, and I'm concerned that his draft stock has risen too far above his value

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

YoHoChecko wrote:
21 Apr 2020 12:20
I can't, for the life of me, figure out why he is ranked in this area... unless he is just a late bloomer and didn't produce early on.

Read More. Post Less.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

NCF wrote:
21 Apr 2020 12:47
YoHoChecko wrote:
21 Apr 2020 12:20
I can't, for the life of me, figure out why he is ranked in this area... unless he is just a late bloomer and didn't produce early on.
Agreed, I think he's a starting OG by year two, and can just stay there competently, not dominantly, for a decade. Almost every scouting report says so, too. He's a low ceiling high floor guy with, apparently, some hand placement technique issues? Seems like in a very weak interior OL class, he'd be valued for his reliability? I dunno. But he is definitely on my list of Guys I Want On My Team.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

It is interesting how consistent the write-ups after on him. Bad hands, limited power and suddenness, smart.