All Time Packers Offense

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Packfntk
Reactions:

All Time Packers Offense

Post by Packfntk »

Saw a tweet for NFL, figured I would bring it here. Any time, any era, all Green Bay Packers. What is your offense?

QB:
HB:
WR:
WR:
WR:
TE:
LT:
LG:
C:
RG:
RT:
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

QB: Aaron Rodgers
HB: Ahman Green
WR: Sterling Sharpe
WR: Don Hutson
WR: James Lofton
TE: Keith Jackson
LT: David Bakhtiari
LG: Josh Sitton
C: Frank Winters
RG: Jerry Kramer
RT: Forrest Gregg

Read More. Post Less.

Carl Gerbschmidt
Reactions:

Post by Carl Gerbschmidt »

NCF wrote:
16 Apr 2020 13:54
QB: Aaron Rodgers
C: Frank Winters
I would put Bubba in over the Rusted tank Keith Jackson was by the time he got to the Packers.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Carl Gerbschmidt wrote:
16 Apr 2020 14:14
I would put Bubba in over the Rusted tank Keith Jackson was by the time he got to the Packers.
I'm not sure Bubba made my Top-5.

Coffman, Chewy, Finley... OK, maybe he cracks the Top-5. Jackson glowed bright, even if just for 1 1/2 seasons.

Read More. Post Less.

Carl Gerbschmidt
Reactions:

Post by Carl Gerbschmidt »

Holy crap shame on me I forgot about Finley

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

QB: Bart Starr
HB: Paul Hornung
FB: Jim Taylor - gotta have a FB!
WR: Jordy Nelson
TE: JerMichael Finley
C: Jim Ringo
RIP JustJeff

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Carl Gerbschmidt wrote:
16 Apr 2020 14:40
Holy crap shame on me I forgot about Finley
TE is clearly the historically weakest of the O positions.

I remember Bubba Franks being a very good all-around TE, three Pro Bowls in a row, so it's weird to see he never cracked 500 yards receiving... With his 4.85 speed I suspect he'd look slooooow these days.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

I am going with a Mount Rushmore for each position:

QB: Starr, Favre, Rodgers
RB: Taylor, Hornung, Green
TE: Coffman, Chumura, Franks
WR: Hutson, Lofton, Sharpe (Driver, Nelson, Adams)
OT: Gregg, Bakhtiari
OG: Kramer, Gillingham
C: Ringo

Mount Rushmore from my Era:
QB: Majkowski, Favre, Rodgers
RB: Levens, Green, Grant
TE: Chumura, Jackson, Finley
WR: Sharpe, Driver, Nelson
OT: Clifton, Bakhtiari
OG: Sitton, Lang
C Wells
Last edited by Pckfn23 on 16 Apr 2020 16:45, edited 1 time in total.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

QB: Dickey
HB: Horning
WR: Hutson
WR: Sharpe
WR: Jordy
TE: Dallas, Texas, Super Bowl Baby
LT: Bakhtiari
LG: Timmerman
C: Winters
RG: Kramer
RT: Wagner

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

BF004 wrote:
16 Apr 2020 16:27
QB: Dickey
HB: Horning
WR: Hutson
WR: Sharpe
WR: Jordy
TE: Dallas, Texas, Super Bowl Baby
LT: Bakhtiari
LG: Timmerman
C: Winters
RG: Kramer
RT: Wagner
I am really hoping that you're being sincere with this. For some inexplicable reason I am feeling like this is a position that is not completely indefensible- I would love to know your rationale.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

I’m too young to know first hand, but some clips from that guy, man could he sling.

But not sincere gun to my head. No disrespect to Lynn, but we are talking about Bart, Brent and Aaron here, maybe 3 of the top 10 all time.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

QB: Brett Favre
FB: Jim Taylor
LT: Ken Ruettgers
LG: Gale Gillingham

It's impossible to pick anyone over Bart Starr at QB but I did based not necessarily on WINNING and propensity for not making mistakes, instead I based it simply on BRETT FAVRE. Had Brett not thrown that INT versus the Giants in the 2007 NFC Championship Game he'd be on everyone's list I think. Bart had 5 Hall of Famers on his offense, a Rookie of the Year and 2 additional All-Pros (Fuzzy and Ron Kramer).

As for left tackle.......sure Bakh is awesome today and will probably get even better, as was Bob Skoronski in the Lombardi era. Ken Ruettgers stood the test of time........somewhat unheralded but consistently did the job. He wore Forrest Gregg's number well and I think he was there for 11 seasons, including the beginning of the 1996 season (he got a well deserved Super Bowl 31 ring).

For TE ....... as a Packer Keith Jackson made plays when plays needed to be made. As Ron Wolf said ..... he puts sizzle into the Packers offense.
Last edited by RingoCStarrQB on 17 Apr 2020 19:35, edited 1 time in total.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

TE: Ron Kramer
LT: Ken Reuttgers
RG: Josh Sitton

11 players.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
16 Apr 2020 19:46
As for left tackle.......sure Bakh is awesome today as was Bob Skoronski in the Lombardi era. Ken Reuttgers stood the test of time........somewhat unheralded but consistently did the job.
I thought about Ruettgers. Definitely an underrated LT. Clifton also had a GREAT run. I just think Bak is the best of the bunch and we haven't even seen it all from him, yet. He definitely has another 5 years or so top level play ahead of him.

Read More. Post Less.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
WR: Jordy Nelson

It's impossible to pick anyone over Bart Starr at QB but I did based not necessarily on WINNING and propensity for not making mistakes, instead I based it simply on BRETT FAVRE. Had Brett not thrown that INT versus the Giants in the 2007 NFC Championship Game he'd be on everyone's list I think. Bart had 5 Hall of Famers on his offense, a Rookie of the Year and 2 additional All-Pros (Fuzzy and Ron Kramer).

As for left tackle.......sure Bakh is awesome today as was Bob Skoronski in the Lombardi era. Ken Reuttgers stood the test of time........somewhat unheralded but consistently did the job. He wore Forrest Gregg's number well.

For TE ....... as a Packer Keith Jackson made plays when plays needed to be made. As Ron Wolf said ..... he puts sizzle into the Packers offense.
I agree with ya Ringo in that Jackson was still a very good TE even though we got him at the end of his career, 10 TD receptions is some pretty good production.

imo though Paul Hornung was a better lead blocker then Jim Taylor, even though we tag Taylor as the FB and the Horn as the HB, in reality, it was the other way around, sorta like this era of simply teaching RB's to also be lead blockers in a 2 RB set, no FB, just two RB's, look at some of those off tackle runs, and thers the Horn leading the way for Taylor.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

If Lynn Dickey had more protection and better weapons, he'd be HOF. I just don't think he gets enough credit. The guy couldn't run downhill even. But if you give him three seconds, he's gonna put the ball where nobody can and on time too.

He had Lofton and Coffman. No slouches. But he delivered with a squad that, overall, was maybe slightly above average.

He took a beating and kept on coming too.

In an era of bad Packer football, he would usually put up a highlight real by himself regularly.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

TheSkeptic wrote:
17 Apr 2020 06:58

11 players.
I was waiting for someone to pick TE Ron Kramer. He was first team All-Pro in 1962. :aok:
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

NCF wrote:
17 Apr 2020 07:03
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
As for left tackle.......sure Bakh is awesome today as was Bob Skoronski in the Lombardi era. Ken Reuttgers stood the test of time........somewhat unheralded but consistently did the job.
I thought about Ruettgers. Definitely an underrated LT. Clifton also had a GREAT run. I just think Bak is the best of the bunch and we haven't even seen it all from him, yet. He definitely has another 5 years or so top level play ahead of him.
I totally agree....Bakh could end up being the greatest Packers left tackle of all time. Let's see how he does the next 3 to 5 years. Ken Ruettgers played 12 seasons and Bob Skoronski played 11 seasons. Bakh has 7 seasons under his belt. Any of these 2 guys in the lineup at LT (plus Ruettgers of course) would not be a problem. Don't forget Skoronski's pivotal play in the Ice Bowl..........the play that opened up the massive hole for Chuck Mercein to ramble through. And Skoronski was the offensive team captain too. Basically Skoronski is about equally as unheralded as Ruettgers is. Skoronski didn't get a trading card until 1967, and his last season was 1968 along with Jerry Kramer. I am pretty sure that Gregg and Ringo had the most offensive lineman trading cards. Ron Kramer had a couple.
Last edited by RingoCStarrQB on 18 Apr 2020 08:59, edited 2 times in total.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
17 Apr 2020 13:07
TheSkeptic wrote:
17 Apr 2020 06:58

11 players.
I was waiting for someone to pick TE Ron Kramer. He was first team All-Pro in 1962. :aok:
I have put Ron Kramer on previous lists in previous years. But now with Favre as my QB I have to go with Keith Jackson. With Sharpe and Hutson on the field with Favre combined with the wheel route threats of Hornung and Taylor and the option pass threat of Hornung ............ you know for sure that Keith Jackson will consistently be wide open down the middle to receive Favre laser passes. Arghhhhhhhhhhh :munch:

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Scott4Pack wrote:
17 Apr 2020 08:56
If Lynn Dickey had more protection and better weapons, he'd be HOF. I just don't think he gets enough credit. The guy couldn't run downhill even. But if you give him three seconds, he's gonna put the ball where nobody can and on time too.

He had Lofton and Coffman. No slouches. But he delivered with a squad that, overall, was maybe slightly above average.

He took a beating and kept on coming too.

In an era of bad Packer football, he would usually put up a highlight real by himself regularly.
I'd take Dickey over Rodgers. There was no drama with Lynn Dickey.