Shortened Preseason

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Carl Gerbschmidt
Reactions:

Post by Carl Gerbschmidt »

Still pretending that there is going to be a 2020 season?

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Carl Gerbschmidt wrote:
10 Jul 2020 09:34
No reason to cancel football a week into September now.

The only certainty is uncertainty with this. Trends are changing monthly if not weekly.

I see no reason to make any firm decisions before like mid August either way, but might as well act as if there will be football for now and make any decisions when it is time to.

2-3 weeks ago it looked very favorable, today it is looking less and less likely each day, who knows how it will look in 2 more weeks or 6 more weeks.

NCF
Reactions:

Post by NCF »

Carl Gerbschmidt wrote:
10 Jul 2020 09:34
For now. I think what we learn from MLB and NBA will be very telling. If those go poorly, then the plug will likely be pulled. The good news is TC's are set to open before the NBA even plays their first game, so I believe the NFL will be moving forward without any information on how that goes. The plug will be harder to pull once their is some momentum towards playing games.

Read More. Post Less.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

It is up to the player's union but presumably they want to get paid. The owners have fixed costs and will want to play the season even if the stadiums don't have a single fan in them.

IMO the season will start in September to empty stadiums and TV only. However I also believe that when the virus resumed in October/November the remaining games will be cancelled completely. Some states will make them illegal and although others will allow the games, it will be hard to have a season with half the teams unable to play in their home stadium.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

What’s the necessity in playing in your home stadium without a crowd?

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
10 Jul 2020 11:00
What’s the necessity in playing in your home stadium without a crowd?
I agree. Say the teams in Texas or Florida or New York can't play in their home statiums....have them play at a neutral site.

Honestly 2020 is a wasted season anyways. It will have an asterisk. But so what. I just want some entertainment and football.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

TheSkeptic wrote:
10 Jul 2020 10:12
However I also believe that when the virus resumed in October/November the remaining games will be cancelled completely.
???

When it resumes? There is a huge outbreak going on right now in the middle of the summer.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Waldo wrote:
10 Jul 2020 13:20
TheSkeptic wrote:
However I also believe that when the virus resumed in October/November the remaining games will be cancelled completely.
???

When it resumes? There is a huge outbreak going on right now in the middle of the summer.
I know. I can't help but laugh all the time that last week the country was literally setting a record every day for most cases in a day and yet there is a resounding perception that we are past the virus.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Waldo
Reactions:

Post by Waldo »

go pak go wrote:
10 Jul 2020 13:41
Waldo wrote:
TheSkeptic wrote:
???

I know. I can't help but laugh all the time that last week the country was literally setting a record every day for most cases in a day and yet there is a resounding perception that we are past the virus.
Well our daily update here in Ga just came out, we blew away our previous single day record in cases. Last weekend when I went to go get groceries the store was closed, too many of the staff had Covid and they couldn't open.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

go pak go wrote:
Waldo wrote:
TheSkeptic wrote:
???

This thread is starting to get into Chatter/Podium territory. But I don't think anyone is saying we are past the virus. There were always going to be continued cases. The point was to keep hospitals from being overrun, and allow time for the manufacture and distribution of things like PPE, and to educate the public on best practices. Deaths and hospitalizations are way down almost everywhere with a few exceptions. And those who are hospitalized are staying for much less time now than before and not dying. The people that got it months ago were much more in the vulnerable group(s) than those getting it now.

Back to the point, I doubt there will be a football season. They'll get to a week before and just cancel it. Murphy already is sounding pretty pessimistic. I wonder where the NFLPA is on this?

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

0 games definitely shortens the preseason somewhat. :P
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

wallyuwl wrote:
10 Jul 2020 16:50
go pak go wrote:
Waldo wrote:

???

This thread is starting to get into Chatter/Podium territory. But I don't think anyone is saying we are past the virus. There were always going to be continued cases. The point was to keep hospitals from being overrun, and allow time for the manufacture and distribution of things like PPE, and to educate the public on best practices. Deaths and hospitalizations are way down almost everywhere with a few exceptions. And those who are hospitalized are staying for much less time now than before and not dying. The people that got it months ago were much more in the vulnerable group(s) than those getting it now.

Back to the point, I doubt there will be a football season. They'll get to a week before and just cancel it. Murphy already is sounding pretty pessimistic. I wonder where the NFLPA is on this?
Exactly, deaths and hospitalizations are way down. Reported cases are not dropping because of increased testing and the virus naturally spreading to previously unaffected areas.

But yes, back to the point. Best case is no fans at all in any stadium and half a dozen teams playing out of state rather than in their home stadium. Most probable is no season at all.

So, do the players get paid at all?

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

[/quote]

Exactly, deaths and hospitalizations are way down. Reported cases are not dropping because of increased testing and the virus naturally spreading to previously unaffected areas.

But yes, back to the point. Best case is no fans at all in any stadium and half a dozen teams playing out of state rather than in their home stadium. Most probable is no season at all.

So, do the players get paid at all?
[/quote]

Well here's a thought ............ if these people are getting paid then the players should get paid: https://www.packers.com/team/front-office-roster/

If no one is getting paid then no one should get paid. If some people in the Packers organization are getting paid, then the players should get paid. If the players are getting paid then they should be required to be in Green Bay as they normally were if there was a normal season (no telework agreements for players).

GO PACK GO !!

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

If there are no fans in the seats then it doesn't matter where the games are held. Cernter the teams around a dozen hub stadiums Quarenteen and test everybody. If college games are out of the picture then Saturdays are available to play ball. Stadiums can have 2 games a day since they don't need to be restocked with food for the fans. Just hose down the locker rooms and coaches booths. 4 games on a weekend. Pipe in reasonable crowd noise for the hone team.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Different revenue sources to pay front office and other people at Lambeau (custodians, training staff, equipment people, etc.) vs players. Plus obviously a much different quantity of money. But that is a sticky one and you know the NFLPA will be advocating for full pay with no requirements for players to be on site even if no season.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

My compromise plan so far is to delay the season a bit, play 6 games--division only schedule, "home and away" if possible. Play games every 2 weeks instead of every week. Crown 8 division winners and play an 8-team playoff (again, every two weeks). Crown the astericks champion.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I’m assuming they will test before games. All it takes is one person to test positive for the entire team to be questioned whether they’re carrying it. Do they cancel games at that point?

Idk. Watching how this spread through Texas first hand I can’t imagine things working out for the NBA or MLB. One player catches it in game or something and it’s all over. Players won’t risk it. Especially after Rudy Gobert said he had lasting effects from it.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

lupedafiasco wrote:
11 Jul 2020 18:04
I’m assuming they will test before games. All it takes is one person to test positive for the entire team to be questioned whether they’re carrying it. Do they cancel games at that point?

Idk. Watching how this spread through Texas first hand I can’t imagine things working out for the NBA or MLB. One player catches it in game or something and it’s all over. Players won’t risk it. Especially after Rudy Gobert said he had lasting effects from it.
I mean so far NASCAR has made it work. One driver, Jimmie Johnson tested positive.

But it is also way less contact.
Yoop wrote:

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

go pak go wrote:
11 Jul 2020 21:13

I mean so far NASCAR has made it work. One driver, Jimmie Johnson tested positive.

Way less contact is one of many reasons why nascar sucks now.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

go pak go wrote:
11 Jul 2020 21:13
lupedafiasco wrote:
11 Jul 2020 18:04

I thought we were talking about real sports.
Cancelled by the forum elites.