Shortened Preseason

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

HeavyD
Reactions:

Post by HeavyD »

go pak go wrote:
10 Jul 2020 13:41
Waldo wrote:
10 Jul 2020 13:20
TheSkeptic wrote:
10 Jul 2020 10:12
However I also believe that when the virus resumed in October/November the remaining games will be cancelled completely.
???

When it resumes? There is a huge outbreak going on right now in the middle of the summer.
I know. I can't help but laugh all the time that last week the country was literally setting a record every day for most cases in a day and yet there is a resounding perception that we are past the virus.
These people are like farmers having a discussion about the value of barn doors.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

wallyuwl wrote:
11 Jul 2020 21:24
go pak go wrote:
11 Jul 2020 21:13

I mean so far NASCAR has made it work. One driver, Jimmie Johnson tested positive.

But it is also way less contact.
Way less contact is one of many reasons why nascar sucks now.
I'm a little confused by this comment because it states that NASCAR used to have contact....they are in their cars. There has always been minimal contact.

And if you are talking about fighting....that is still very much part of NASCAR this decade. I don't think viewership has gone down for that reason.

It's gone down for a myriad of reasons but this is not the website to discuss that on.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

go pak go wrote:
13 Jul 2020 06:50
wallyuwl wrote:
go pak go wrote:

I mean so far NASCAR has made it work. One driver, Jimmie Johnson tested positive.

I'm a little confused by this comment because it states that NASCAR used to have contact....they are in their cars. There has always been minimal contact.

And if you are talking about fighting....that is still very much part of NASCAR this decade. I don't think viewership has gone down for that reason.

It's gone down for a myriad of reasons but this is not the website to discuss that on.
i'am not a go fast and turn left type guy any more, though in my youth I loved the powder puff derby's and dirt track racing, still do but I don't know of any clay track raceways any more, imho it was the purest stock car racing of all variety's of that sport.

back to topic, I think Wally was referring to the restrictions placed on all the bumping we use to see with nascar that has now become almost non existent

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

Yoop wrote:
13 Jul 2020 09:20
go pak go wrote:
wallyuwl wrote:

i'am not a go fast and turn left type guy any more, though in my youth I loved the powder puff derby's and dirt track racing, still do but I don't know of any clay track raceways any more, imho it was the purest stock car racing of all variety's of that sport.

back to topic, I think Wally was referring to the restrictions placed on all the bumping we use to see with nascar that has now become almost non existent
Strictly for fun, I read the bold, thought you were referring to your politics, and thought "WHAT?". :)

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

go pak go wrote:
wallyuwl wrote:
go pak go wrote:

I think Wally was talking about "contact" in terms of cars hitting & bumping each other. Remember the old "rubbing is racing" line?
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Half Empty wrote:
13 Jul 2020 09:41
Yoop wrote:
go pak go wrote:

Strictly for fun, I read the bold, thought you were referring to your politics, and thought "WHAT?". :)
snip

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Half Empty wrote:
13 Jul 2020 09:41
Yoop wrote:
I read it and thought he was pulling a Zoolander

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

NFLPA telling its players there will be no preseason and roster size will be 80 players.
Yoop wrote:
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

TheGreenMan
Reactions:

Post by TheGreenMan »

go pak go wrote:
21 Jul 2020 20:13
NFLPA telling its players there will be no preseason and roster size will be 80 players.
I'll be shocked if there's not a shortened season. If there's one at all.
RIP JustJeff

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
21 Jul 2020 20:13
80 players for training camp? So we have to cut 10 right off the bat? That's pretty short notice.
John Kuhn feels for the undrafted rookies who won’t get a chance this year
Posted by Michael David Smith on July 22, 2020, 4:55 AM EDT

John Kuhn entered the NFL as an undrafted rookie out of Shippensburg University and ended up making three Pro Bowls and winning two Super Bowl rings. He feels for the undrafted rookies this year who won’t get the same opportunity to prove themselves that he did.

Kuhn noted that the cancellation of the preseason because of COVID-19 will cost a lot of players an opportunity to prove that they can compete in the NFL. And the smaller rosters — 80 players this year, instead of the normal 90 — means 320 fewer football players across the league are getting chances to make their teams.

“Zero preseason games and 10 players cut on each team before they ever touched the field,” Kuhn wrote on Twitter. “2020 is not a fair year for anyone and unfortunately this was the price that needed to be paid so that football and its star players would feel safe enough to play.”

It’s entirely possible that there’s another John Kuhn out there, an undrafted rookie who’s capable of a Pro Bowl career, whose career is now over before it started. Another bad thing about 2020.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I know 2020 sucks for everyone.

But 2020 definitely sucks a lot more for some than for others.

2020 really, really, really sucks for those who are sick or are personally impacted by those who are sick.

2020 also really sucks for those who's industry is coded as "non essential" (I know they get $600 now but that uncertainty has to suck).

2020 also really, really sucks for those who are in transition.

My wife and I moved from MPLS to Cincy last month. We moved for something absolutely amazing as she get placed at her #1 hoped residency program at Cincinnati Children's Hospital. The move sucked timing-wise for me though. I couldn't find a job. Fortunately I was needed desperately by my old employer so I am now working remotely.

But just all of these people who are in transition. Those just graduating looking for work. Those going into their senior year trying to get internships, externships, apply for residencies, hoping to play their final year of college sports...

These are the people for which 2020 sucks even more. In fact, 2020 could prove life altering for the worse for these people.
Yoop wrote:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

If we cut to 80 for camp, here are some guys in real trouble:

DaShaun Amos, CB
Will Sunderland, CB
Willington Previlon, DT
Jordan Jones, FB
Elijah Wellman, FB
Zack Johnson, G
Delontae Scott, LB
Damarea Crockett, RB
Henry Black, S
Frankie Griffin, S
Cody Conway, T
Darrel Stewart, WR

Next tier:
Malik Taylor, WR
Evan Baylis, TE
Travis Bruffy, T
John Leglue, T
Patrick Taylor, RB
Tipa Galei, LB
Krys Barnes, LB (love this guy, hope not)
Marc-Antoine Dequoy (hope not, interesting guy)
Cole Madison (hope not, would be a fun story)

Simon Stepaniak is going to go on PUP, almost certainly.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Feel like little to no preseason will help us. Since Aaron doesn't play in PS at all, it will kind of level the playing field now, everyone will be rusty.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
22 Jul 2020 08:47
Feel like little to no preseason will help us. Since Aaron doesn't play in PS at all, it will kind of level the playing field now, everyone will be rusty.
I still say if we play the first game as scheduled we drop at least 34. Vikings can't cover us. It's gonna be great

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

YoHoChecko wrote:
22 Jul 2020 09:07
BF004 wrote:
22 Jul 2020 08:47
I still say if we play the first game as scheduled we drop at least 34. Vikings can't cover us. It's gonna be great
Vikings have only given up 34 or more twice in the last 3 years. ;)

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

BF004 wrote:
22 Jul 2020 09:18
YoHoChecko wrote:
22 Jul 2020 09:07
Vikings have only given up 34 or more twice in the last 3 years. ;)
Yeah, well they didn't cut their second-best pass rusher, 2 CBs, and a bunch of reserves in the secondary in past years either. They got worse this offseason and are counting on rookies with no offseason to help out? Is Mike Hughes going to cover Davante? Is Jeff Gladney going to climb up Funchess and EQSB? Just keep it in front of the safeties. There's not a single perimeter matchup in which they aren't disadvantaged.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Yeah, the CB is a dumpster fire baring some luck on their end.

According to contracts handed out, CB appears to be a position where you can't tolerate liabilities.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Depending on how you look at things, 2020 will definitely "help" teams who are veteran teams. Thus, the 2020 Packers need to capitalize because we should have a major advantage over other teams. The Chiefs will be the same.

Teams like MN who are young and "rebuilding" will likely be really bad this year.

However, I do look at the 2020 season no matter what having an asterisk behind it and honestly if there was a "year to rebuild" this would be the year to do it.
Yoop wrote:

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
22 Jul 2020 11:32
Depending on how you look at things, 2020 will definitely "help" teams who are veteran teams. Thus, the 2020 Packers need to capitalize because we should have a major advantage over other teams. The Chiefs will be the same.

Teams like MN who are young and "rebuilding" will likely be really bad this year.

However, I do look at the 2020 season no matter what having an asterisk behind it and honestly if there was a "year to rebuild" this would be the year to do it.
How is their an asterisk for the Súper bowl champ if they play the full year?
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Drj820 wrote:
22 Jul 2020 13:33
go pak go wrote:
22 Jul 2020 11:32

How is their an asterisk for the Súper bowl champ if they play the full year?
Yeah, short of like half the league missing extensive time and pulling guys off the street to play QB, I see no reason for any type of asterisk.