Matt LaFleur

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

The problem with LaFleur isn’t the scheme but rather the game plan, play calling, adjustments, and in-game decision making. The last 3 of those have cost the Packers games and trips to the Super Bowl.

He is consistently out coached but has had the talent to overcome his shortcomings. That is until the playoffs/championship games when the other team also has talent and a better coach.

Aaron Jones is the most explosive player on the offense yet he had 4 touches in the first half while the Packers were struggling. When they do run Jones they ran him up the middle. I would argue that Jones is better on a pitch out where he can run wide and then make his cut.

One small example of the many deficiencies of the head coach/play caller. I could list a plethora of other decisions from time outs to challenges to not fixing the STs problems last year, the game plan when Love started against the Chiefs. Allowing Joe Barry to not match up Jaire against Justin Jefferson. The list could go on ad infinitum.

Yes, LaFleur has a great W-L record but over the past 3 years I’ve expected him to improve as a head coach and he hasn’t. And he no longer has the “Rodgers to Adams” to bail him out.

So the answer is to get more talent. Gutey needs to pull the trigger on a deal. He wanted to keep Rodgers (@ $50 mil/year) so it’s now or never. Make a deal….and quickly.
Love is the answer…

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

wallyuwl wrote:
17 Oct 2022 22:29
Watson was high investment. He isn't Janis routes... he is Janis except Janis suited up.
so then we spent 2 second round picks to move up and take a guy that will be out of football in 4 years and buy a tire shop. :thwap

least he wont be cold calling for Humana :lol:

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Foosball wrote:
17 Oct 2022 23:53
The problem with LaFleur isn’t the scheme but rather the game plan, play calling, adjustments, and in-game decision making. The last 3 of those have cost the Packers games and trips to the Super Bowl.

He is consistently out coached but has had the talent to overcome his shortcomings. That is until the playoffs/championship games when the other team also has talent and a better coach.

Aaron Jones is the most explosive player on the offense yet he had 4 touches in the first half while the Packers were struggling. When they do run Jones they ran him up the middle. I would argue that Jones is better on a pitch out where he can run wide and then make his cut.

One small example of the many deficiencies of the head coach/play caller. I could list a plethora of other decisions from time outs to challenges to not fixing the STs problems last year, the game plan when Love started against the Chiefs. Allowing Joe Barry to not match up Jaire against Justin Jefferson. The list could go on ad infinitum.

Yes, LaFleur has a great W-L record but over the past 3 years I’ve expected him to improve as a head coach and he hasn’t. And he no longer has the “Rodgers to Adams” to bail him out.

So the answer is to get more talent. Gutey needs to pull the trigger on a deal. He wanted to keep Rodgers (@ $50 mil/year) so it’s now or never. Make a deal….and quickly.
Somebody buy this man a beer. Excellent post.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

lupedafiasco wrote:
18 Oct 2022 07:25
Foosball wrote:
17 Oct 2022 23:53

Somebody buy this man a beer. Excellent post.
Jones most explosive player on the team you and others didn't want to resign, you and some others where adament we needed to dump Turner, blah, blah, blah, now the line sucks.

so who do we make a deal for, everyone here has made suggestions that make sense and could improve the team, sounds easy, and looks good on paper, to bad we have to live in the now world where teams are not about to help us with trades for players better then we already have.

football has always been a roll the dice thing based on who has looked and practiced the best, obviously our OL coaches AND LAFLUER felt better about starting Newman over Hanson, felt Turner was expendable, after his failed shift to LT, specially with all pro Jenkins do back soon and Bahk getting stronger, obviously this didn't exactly work out as planned, Newman hasn't played to prior ability, Jenkins has struggled in space, the right side of our OL has sucked, just fix that, for the most part the other 4 players that have played the most have played pretty well.

Realist
Reactions:

Post by Realist »

Half Empty wrote:
17 Oct 2022 09:18
Realist wrote:
16 Oct 2022 16:37
Drj820 wrote:
16 Oct 2022 16:12
Packers beat the patriots when they had a third string qb and beat the bucs without any of their weapons.

Lafleur was severely outcoached in both of those games.

That’s 5 of 6 games now the coaching staff has been SEVERELY outclassed, irregardless of the game result.
Have you seen Mlf's winning percentage? Guy is a genius.
Looks to my like his winning percentage is .500, for the season that means anything.
Sarcasm always gets lost in text. It would be fun to have a face to face round table on the state of the Packers with the members here.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

After 6 games thus far the turnover differential is effen freaking freaking effen MINUS 4. Only 1 interception. Reggie, the 3 Willies, and Bobby Dillon are livid. As is Fritz.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

RingoCStarrQB wrote:
18 Oct 2022 21:53
After 6 games thus far the turnover differential is effen freaking freaking effen MINUS 4. Only 1 interception. Reggie, the 3 Willies, and Bobby Dillon are livid. As is Fritz.
That would be the easiest to improve on that would translate to more W’s.

Also why I like more aggressive D, might give up a few more big plays, but typically get a few more turnovers.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

BF004 wrote:
19 Oct 2022 07:59
RingoCStarrQB wrote:
18 Oct 2022 21:53
That would be the easiest to improve on that would translate to more W’s.

Also why I like more aggressive D, might give up a few more big plays, but typically get a few more turnovers.
The Packers have to get comfortable who they actually are. We are trying to hang onto our former selves and are doing a terrible job at it.

We need to be the 2019 49ers. The 2018 Chicago Bears, etc. We need to be attacking on defense. Run first on offense. And be okay with playing the field position game.

The mere fact we went for it on 4th down before halftime last week screamed to me MLF hasn't quite figured out who we are yet.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

Realist wrote:
18 Oct 2022 18:04
Half Empty wrote:
Realist wrote:
16 Oct 2022 16:37

Have you seen Mlf's winning percentage? Guy is a genius.
Looks to my like his winning percentage is .500, for the season that means anything.
Sarcasm always gets lost in text. It would be fun to have a face to face round table on the state of the Packers with the members here.
Didn't see the sarcasm, as many here look to the outstanding regular season results to defend him. One of the things I wish would improve on the site is easier insertion of emojies (along with the Ignore feature). :)

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Half Empty wrote:
19 Oct 2022 09:05
Realist wrote:
Half Empty wrote:

Didn't see the sarcasm, as many here look to the outstanding regular season results to defend him. One of the things I wish would improve on the site is easier insertion of emojies (along with the Ignore feature). :)
the ignore feature seems to work fine.

I defend Lafluer because of how this has transpired since his hire, from day one he's had to compromise to the whims of his HOF QB, court Guty and Murphy to hire new cords, and has lost two assistants this year that obviously played a huge roll with how consistent this offense performed, blaming the situation we are now in on Lafluer seems short sighted to me, a HC alone can't attend to everything, I have to wonder if Stenavich was Matts first choice as our new OC, or was that a cost saving premotion because Guty and Murphy didn't want to shell out the money for a more qualified guy, I expect that because it was the same thing with ST's for years.

AmishMafia
Reactions:

Post by AmishMafia »

Yoop wrote:
19 Oct 2022 09:56
Half Empty wrote:
19 Oct 2022 09:05
Realist wrote:

the ignore feature seems to work fine.

I defend Lafluer because of how this has transpired since his hire, from day one he's had to compromise to the whims of his HOF QB, court Guty and Murphy to hire new cords, and has lost two assistants this year that obviously played a huge roll with how consistent this offense performed, blaming the situation we are now in on Lafluer seems short sighted to me, a HC alone can't attend to everything, I have to wonder if Stenavich was Matts first choice as our new OC, or was that a cost saving premotion because Guty and Murphy didn't want to shell out the money for a more qualified guy, I expect that because it was the same thing with ST's for years.
Good post. I don't agree with the money saving moti action, but the rest is on point.

Folks want to say he is a successful coach because Rodgers is carrying the team. But with Rodgers and devante for that matter. The 2 years pre MLF they won 13 games combined, and 13 per year since. MLF has made a big difference. Had we traded AR, I think we are better off. AR can't carry the team and the WR quality issue is just an excuse.

What I do see is AR walking to the sidelines and just standing by himself. Sometimes he sits on the bench and kicks back. Meanwhile I see other QBs getting out the tablets and talking to coaches/WRs. Almost seems to me he thinks he doesn't need to work at it because he has the receiver excuse or maybe because he feels he is so good he doesn't need to work at it. Or maybe he thinks it's not his job to study what the defense is doing and figure out how to beat it.

That being said, I don't think MLF has progressed much. I'm not seeing any new wrinkles or gametime adjustments. I did see MLF very POd a few times and I wonder if there were issues with his play call and what was actually run.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

Everyone agrees the offensive line has been garbage.
Everyone agrees the wide receiver position is extremely weak.

With that said everything about the passing game is awful so that must mean we would be better off without the back to back and 4 time MVP.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

lupedafiasco wrote:
19 Oct 2022 12:02

With that said everything about the passing game is awful so that must mean we would be better off without the back to back and 4 time MVP.
We knew the WR were trash. The OL was supposed to be good.

AmishMafia
Reactions:

Post by AmishMafia »

lupedafiasco wrote:

I dont believe the WR position is extremely weak. If you think AR is playing even remotely similar to how he used to play, you are fooling yourself. Lack of accuracy, mobility in the pocket, and not seeing open WRs - he used to be able to snap release and throw a WR open. DBs didn't stand a chance. He doesn't do that anymore.

I believe the OLs issue is coaching. Our OL coach has become the OC and I think that is the issue. I also think the offense game plan/ scheme used to be more OL friendly. Why this changed when it's the HCs system and the OL coach is still here I surprising. I'm hoping they just need to settle in. More confirmation to me that coaching is more important than talent.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

AmishMafia wrote:
19 Oct 2022 13:40
lupedafiasco wrote:

I dont believe the WR position is extremely weak. If you think AR is playing even remotely similar to how he used to play, you are fooling yourself. Lack of accuracy, mobility in the pocket, and not seeing open WRs - he used to be able to snap release and throw a WR open. DBs didn't stand a chance. He doesn't do that anymore.

I believe the OLs issue is coaching. Our OL coach has become the OC and I think that is the issue. I also think the offense game plan/ scheme used to be more OL friendly. Why this changed when it's the HCs system and the OL coach is still here I surprising. I'm hoping they just need to settle in. More confirmation to me that coaching is more important than talent.
OK, but we rarely have seen Rodgers under this kind of pressure, I think some of his misses are a result of not being able to set up to throw ( some of that may be his fault) obviously Rodgers is no longer able to just sling it as he did some years back.

we wouldn't try out 3 receivers yesterday if the receiver room wasn't part of the problem, we see receivers drop what should be catches, when Rodgers has had the option of throwing to open rookie or vet, he picks the vet, even though the vet ( Lazard) has a DB closer, so obviously he lacks faith in the rookies.

I agree, we gave Stanevich a job I don't think he is ready for, and our offense looks dis jointed as a result, and the OL sucks as a result of his promotion.

imho Rodgers takes advantage of any one he can, his comments concerning simplifying the offense is the same as saying my coach doesn't know what he's doing, when Alexander did it Rodgers was all over it, same thing, both players should keep that stuff in house, if this is the only way to get a coaches attention then thats obviously wrong too.

this is starting to look like the crap Rodgers pulled in 2018 that got McCarthy fired, if he wants to call out stuff like this he should retire and audition for a GM job, other wise just play the game the coaches want him to play.

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

AmishMafia wrote:
True, AR is not seeing open WRs. But neither is literally anyone else in the stadium. Because the significant majority of the time, they are not open. Our WR1, Lazard, should be a WR3 on most teams. Just about every catch I see him make comes as a result of AR throwing him open. He rarely gets open on his own.

Name 5 teams in the league with worse WR personnel.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Realist wrote:
16 Oct 2022 18:24
Labrev wrote:
16 Oct 2022 18:06
Drj820 wrote:
16 Oct 2022 17:12

the problem is if you yeet a 3-3 coach thats been in the NFCCG twice in 3 years is that no coach of any quality will ever sign on to coach your team. We would be left to choose from the Ben Mcadoos and Marc Tressmans of the world
I'm not saying fire him right now, but if it's not trending in the right direction by the halfway point and the blame lies mostly with him, then do what you must.

I'm just saying I don't believe in him at this point. He's McCarthy.
Do u understand that it may not be a coaching issue?
It could also be because he is not being allowed to do his job. The problem is the o. He is not in charge of the O

Half Empty
Reactions:

Post by Half Empty »

TheSkeptic wrote:
19 Oct 2022 15:04
Realist wrote:
Labrev wrote:
16 Oct 2022 18:06

I'm not saying fire him right now, but if it's not trending in the right direction by the halfway point and the blame lies mostly with him, then do what you must.

I'm just saying I don't believe in him at this point. He's McCarthy.
It could also be because he is not being allowed to do his job. The problem is the o. He is not in charge of the O
Isn't he in charge of the guy who's in charge of the O?

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Captain_Ben wrote:
19 Oct 2022 14:47
AmishMafia wrote:
True, AR is not seeing open WRs. But neither is literally anyone else in the stadium. Because the significant majority of the time, they are not open. Our WR1, Lazard, should be a WR3 on most teams. Just about every catch I see him make comes as a result of AR throwing him open. He rarely gets open on his own.

Name 5 teams in the league with worse WR personnel.
which league :rotf:

If only we had Watkins and Watson on the field you'd change your tune, couple those two with Lazard and Doubs and we'd be ballin :rotf:

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Half Empty wrote:
20 Oct 2022 08:29
TheSkeptic wrote:
19 Oct 2022 15:04
Realist wrote:

Isn't he in charge of the guy who's in charge of the O?
I think the implication was that while LaFleur is supposed to be in charge of the O, in reality, Rodgers is (and LaFleur cannot rein him in).
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto