Training Camp Pressers

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Well that interview was practically worthless. The majority of the questions centered around how COVID was affecting their preparation... It was some variation of the same question most of the time. A few good original questions though.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Davante: I don't care at all about that list it's just fun.

Also Davante: talks about the issues with the list for the next 3 minutes

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I call dibs on SARS-CoV-2 for Here's Johnny. 8-)
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

New today from Gutey:

Gutey says...
  • There may be fewer waivers and roster moves around the NFL due to the extra hoops to get them in, but he'll adjust and still will explore opportunities (as he did with Lovett and allegedly this Malik Turner kid).
  • He says contract decisions may be more difficult with a condensed salary cap but his priorities as to who gets signed remain the same--one question specifically referenced Clark as part of that. Mark Murphy won't have any say in that.
  • Still "excited about seeing what Oren can do when healthy;" seems to say nice things about Summers. Then just listed the other guys on the roster.
  • Says the changes in PS rules and ability to have more veteran types will change 53 roster cut-down as will not being able to show in preseason, so maybe easier to keep a guy on the PS and slip him through waivers
  • Indicated that Chandon Sullivan is clearly the 3rd CB by saying that "there is a lot of competition behind those three guys"
  • If college season is canceled, the scouts will have their work cut out for them to do the personality/background work, but that information will still be required
  • Has daily conversations with MLF about how practice can help with evaluation since they can't do it in preseasons.
  • They're "really bullish" on EQ based on how he finished '18, how he showed in camp in '19, and "the way he goes about his business."

New yesterday from MLF:

MLF says...
  • Lazard "attacks it the right way." He is regularly used as a film example of effort given on offense and STs. He'll do "whatever it takes" to "dominate his opponents." Next step would be to continue to progress, rather than having any sort of step back, and not lose that edge.
  • The strength and conditioning staff has set up some combine-like agility drills for the guys to go through (interesting considering that this incoming class didn't have times on many things, though no word as to whether they're being timed now)
  • Installs have happened in the video room; are happening in walkthroughs during this ramp-up period; and will do it again the first week of padded practice. Pre-recorded meetings allowed guys to learn at their own pace and dig in and ask better questions in meetings.
  • Team has a better idea of who they are and what they do well--need to strive for that consistency that they had short-term in the middle of last season. A lot will come from improvement in situational football, particularly 3rd downs
  • No updates on COVID list guys
  • MVS was battling through an ankle injury and probably lost some confidence. We need to see that improve, but seems like he's in the right frame of mind so far. We need him to be a consistent performer for us because he has incredible speed and scares a defense when he's on the field.
  • Josiah has had a lot thrown at him, but he's a really smart guy and has been picking things up very quickly, but we'll have to see how he responds in move-the-ball type practice scenarios where things aren't scripted.
  • Danced around the notion that Rodgers is averse to throwing in the middle, but sorta said yeah, we need to be comfortable doing that more.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Lazard presser today or yesterday...

I especially liked the part where he said the receiver room generally laughed off the constant conversation about adding weapons. He thinks people don't understand how difficult it is to do what this offense asks, that you can't just show up and fit right in. And that they have a lot of confidence in themselves to get the job done.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

hahaha, this effin' guy

Packfntk
Reactions:

Post by Packfntk »

Need.... those.... sunglasses.
Wisconsin Cheese Is Better Than California Cheese!

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Packfntk wrote:
10 Aug 2020 19:00
Need.... those.... sunglasses.
You can probably find them at basically any 5&Below and some gas stations in with the women's sunglasses.

One thing I sorta missed in the Gutey presser that I just saw in a packers.com article, that I think is worth pointing out:
"The opportunities are just limited. Whether that's in a meeting, knowing what they're supposed to do and being on point there, whether it's the walk-throughs, the strength and conditioning, being in shape, everything's just kind of enhanced. Everything's just a little bit more important because we don't have the length of time and the exposures...to make these decisions."
Basically, pointing out that with less on-field time and no preseason games to evaluate players, some of the little things that expose character and effort will be larger factors than normal this year. To some extent, that means some roster decisions will be based in part on some of the coach speak we're hearing now about who is going about things the right way or really sharp in meetings. Most of those comments to date haven't been as much about bubble players, but it may be something to listen for.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

MLF back at it again

Interesting note on Montravis Adams is that his effort has been good (a question coming out of college) but he seems to have trouble with the playbook and assignments. "We have to trust him to know what to do when he's out on the field"

I liked listening to him talk about why he likes WRs who block, as well, and how it can really set the tone for the whole team.

Indicated that the whole right side of the OLine is in competition.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Bakh entering a contract year making his first media appearance in a shirt that says "Call my agent" :rotf:

There's a fascinating edit in there where what sounds like maybe Michael Silverstein (but I can't tell) asked some question that had Bakh laughing which was removed around 9:30, but then as he continued with the question also maybe pissed Bakh off :idn:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

It's interesting how, to a man, we've heard from Linsley, Bakhtiari, and today Jenkins about how much a year in the zone blocking scheme will help them and how they were all still adjusting last year; Jenkins said it'll make "all the difference."

Menawhile, on the right, we have a 3-man rotation comprised of a free agent new to this system, a guy off IR who learned but barely played this system, and a guy who played it at an averageish level at RG who is maybe RG or maybe RT.

It'll be fascinating to see if these predictions of OLine improvement come to fruition and if the talent and continuity disparity from the left side to the right side offsets that.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

YoHoChecko wrote:
11 Aug 2020 20:10
Bakh entering a contract year making his first media appearance in a shirt that says "Call my agent" :rotf:

There's a fascinating edit in there where what sounds like maybe Michael Silverstein (but I can't tell) asked some question that had Bakh laughing which was removed around 9:30, but then as he continued with the question also maybe pissed Bakh off :idn:
I don't know what Silverstein is doing here but he brought it up in Z's press conference too. Basically Silverstein said Bakh was a dick his rookie year and not nice and approachable to the media but now he's fun.

It's a strange round about story he's trying to make because he wants to write the same thing about Preston Smith this year "coming out of his shell".

I don't know. It's stupid and literally pissed both Z and Bakh off.

Again. I hate media trying to coax these players to say quotes that fits their narrative for a "pet project" story they are trying to write.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

slow news right now, gotta try to bait

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

go pak go wrote:
17 Aug 2020 16:03
I don't know what Silverstein is doing here but he brought it up in Z's press conference too. Basically Silverstein said Bakh was a dick his rookie year and not nice and approachable to the media but now he's fun.

It's a strange round about story he's trying to make because he wants to write the same thing about Preston Smith this year "coming out of his shell".

Again. I hate media trying to coax these players to say quotes that fits their narrative for a "pet project" story they are trying to write.
Agreed. Like, let the quotes bring the narrative... don't write the narrative and try to coax the quote.

Also, Silverstein routinely screws up with his tech and leaves his mic unmuted or has the video playing while he asked a question creating an echo and the players can't hear and it's like, bruh, hang it up.

My dad was a sportswriter and I know very well the merits of having a negative or adversarial take on some issues, but Silverstein has been a grumpyface curmudgeon for so long, had a couple glory years when the team actually wasn't good in 2017 and 2018, and doesn't know what to do with himself now.

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Had some good ones today; liked hearing from Jenkins and Gary; and Boyle and Ervin both seem like absolutely great team-first, intelligent guys who take a measured and hardworking approach.

But I'm just gonna post MLF

I really liked what he had to say about Savage showing so much more confidence, particularly in the play calls and communication on the back end... that's a good sign that the comprehension has really set in.

Cool to hear that the OLine coach from Ervin's college days is our OLine coach and that he's advocating for him.

Getting pretty excited about the role Deguara may have. I estimated a similar usage to Foster Moreau in his rookie year earlier this offseason (before we knew what camp would look like), and that seems like an achievable bar at this point.

I'm a little surprised that in the portion of camp with no pads there haven't been as many questions about the WRs and DBs, which normally sorta steal the show in those environments. All the questions about the OL rotation and Jenkins and Gary (which make sense since they had media accessibility today" drew the "ya know, it's 2 days with no pads, but..." response

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Practicing inside Lambeau tomorrow

From the early sounds of it, the media policy is not a topic of conversation in the presser

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

go pak go wrote:
17 Aug 2020 16:03
YoHoChecko wrote:
11 Aug 2020 20:10

Tom sucks. If the story isn’t about him, he has no story at all. Never be like Tom.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

Menenga just had a presser and Pettine is up now. He's talking about gap control vs. disrupting and the need to change tings up and not stick to either because offenses are too good to try and do the same thing all the time.

I guess they're doing coach access before practice today?