Cheese Curds - News Around The League 2023

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
28 Jul 2023 12:26
Labrev wrote:
28 Jul 2023 12:12
Pckfn23 wrote:
28 Jul 2023 11:59
Acrobat was being facetious.
I was going to jokingly reply that Rodgers thought LVN was proof that GB doesn't care about adding WR talent for QBs, and also that the rest of the draft is proof that GB wants Love to have weapons but not Rodgers.

Then of course -guess who- came in and said the second part of that 100% seriously. :rotf:
you've nailed this post, and hate me because it's true

The statement is straightforwardly ridiculous, as it contradicts itself.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

YoHoChecko wrote:
27 Jul 2023 16:53
But the commentary that he wanted money and fame before, and now he wants to win does ring true. That's for sure the case; it's his vengeful shoulder chip thing--always been around, but totally waned over time as he stopped having something he felt he needed to "prove." But it never fully goes away; it's how he motivates himself. He very clearly valued other things in his final few years with the Packers than winning. He seemed to value being right and being cowtowed to. But also seemed to value his physical location and off-field hobbies and quality of life.

Now, the twist of that opinion trying to explain that his attitude is about the Packers and not about him is contentious and I disagree. Rodgers is a selfish narcissist with a victim mentality. There is no way to "treat him right." He will always find fault given enough time, and he will always think he can do it better than whoever is doing something. His attitude has nothing to do with the WRs or video games or whether he thought the Packers' roster was good. It was about finding something he thought he could do better and punishing those who did it differently.
This. Thanks for mentioning this YoHo. Of course, none of us truly know the heart of man. But I, for one, just don’t believe that AR12 exhibited the drive necessary to ensure victory. Yeah, he wanted to play well. Two MVPs is proof enough of that (2022 notwithstanding). But he still played Aaron-ball. Didn’t drive the HC’s offensive agenda nearly enough. Didn’t play enough of a role to develop the young WRs. And played into many distractions. His dating life, potential Bucks ownership, the McAfee show, and more all played into it. Being a celebrity was perhaps as important to him as putting a pure focus on his team and doing all that he could to help all of the team win.

All of that is what made me tire of him. He’s still a great player. Maybe he will be more focused with the Jets. He should win another MVP if he does. But I want a guy like Love, who is young, has a lot to prove, and hasn’t won anything yet. He has the skill to do a lot. But now he needs to prove that he can, as his team wins as much as possible. And never stop till you hoist another Lombardi!
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Acrobat
Reactions:

Post by Acrobat »

LOL

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

This idea that Rodgers put a paycheck above winning is so insane, everyone has motives for stuff outside the game, and stuff there doing in the off season, that hardly means they gave up the will to win or doing what it takes to win.

older vets obviously wont have the heart to do OTA's or off season activities as they had when younger, who does, the reality is that we hired a new coach and there was no transition, Rodgers and Lafleur worked together and produced a 13-3 season and went 33-9 the first 3 seasons, how does that remotely equate to Rodgers not caring if he won?

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Yoop wrote:
28 Jul 2023 15:31
This idea that Rodgers put a paycheck above winning is so insane, everyone has motives for stuff outside the game, and stuff there doing in the off season, that hardly means they gave up the will to win or doing what it takes to win.

older vets obviously wont have the heart to do OTA's or off season activities as they had when younger, who does, the reality is that we hired a new coach and there was no transition, Rodgers and Lafleur worked together and produced a 13-3 season and went 33-9 the first 3 seasons, how does that remotely equate to Rodgers not caring if he won?
Bad playoff performances were examples.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Why does rodgers play injured if he doesn't care about winning?

So ridiculous.

Playoff performances where he played better than opposing qb. Problem with playoffs is that the competition is better and our masked deficiencies throughout regular season came out.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

I guess we have just over a month to see if rodgers was the problem.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

bud fox wrote:
28 Jul 2023 19:52

So ridiculous.
To keep the guy behind him from taking his job, the way he took it from "Favre-y."
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

bud fox wrote:
28 Jul 2023 19:53
I guess we have just over a month to see if rodgers was the problem.
Slow down please. I'm still assuming the problem on offense stemmed from the ineptness of LaFleur's play calling combined with Rodgers' sudden cases of tunnel vision. The pouting and arrogance was a multiyear phenomenon.

Jo Lo won't be able to overcome LaCoach's play calling ineptness syndrome. We'll see what we'll see.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Labrev wrote:
28 Jul 2023 19:56
bud fox wrote:
28 Jul 2023 19:52

So ridiculous.
To keep the guy behind him from taking his job, the way he took it from "Favre-y."
And NO ONE ever said he didn't care about winning. It just was not his top priority.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

The Cowboys haven't won a divisional playoff game since the 1995 season. :banana:

YoHoChecko
Reactions:

Post by YoHoChecko »

My evidence about Rodgers' priorities is numerous.
  • He talked openly about what he was looking for and why he wanted out with the Packers dozens of times. He never mentioned a Super Bowl--not once--as a motivation or determining factor, nor a lack of it as the reason he wanted to leave
  • From the time he signed his second extension with the Packers (his first was during his first year as a starter), has never, until this week, played on a contract that did not make him the highest paid player in NFL history on the day he signed it by publicly reported numbers
  • He routinely says he has nothing to prove and routinely mentions his MVPs--which Shannon Sharpe pointed out happens more with Rodgers than any other HoF QB he's ever seen--an individual award; as soon as he goes to a "super bowl or bust" scneario, he took a $35M pay cut.
That's all there is to it. We're all making up outside opinions here. That's my evidence. I doubt you'll find anything to dispute it. Form your own conclusions; I won't pretend to know. But it's a very easy conclusion to draw. He speaks his mind. If he cared about something, he would talk about it. I'm sure he said things like "the goal every year is to win a Super Bowl," but he definitely cared more about playing close to Shaliene Woodley than he did about playing for a contender when the impasse first went public. People projected a desire to play on a "Super Bowl roster" because that's what they would do if they were choosing. He never said it.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

YoHoChecko wrote:
28 Jul 2023 21:52
Form your own conclusions; I won't pretend to know. But it's a very easy conclusion to draw.
Every players number 1 priority is money. If winning is the top priority they would take nothing.

Pack have had a good enough regular season roster. A roster good enough for Rodgers to carry to MVP. But playoffs the gap is too large to cover.

I guess we will see how things go in just over a month.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

If the top priority for every player is money, why did Rodgers just give back $35 million?
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

Pckfn23 wrote:
28 Jul 2023 23:40
If the top priority for every player is money, why did Rodgers just give back $35 million?
Cowherd said today that AR tried to negotiate part ownership into the reworked deal.

bud fox
Reactions:

Post by bud fox »

Pckfn23 wrote:
If winning is more important than money he would play for nothing.

Taking a reduction in money shows how important winning is for him but money is still top just like it is for everyone.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

bud fox wrote:
29 Jul 2023 03:34
Pckfn23 wrote:
If winning is more important than money he would play for nothing.

Taking a reduction in money shows how important winning is for him but money is still top just like it is for everyone.
There is a difference between “making a lot of money and not taking the most possible so team can have extra cap space” and “I’m gonna take every penny I can squeeze from team no matter what it means for the salary cap”

Both scenarios see the player become very rich, but one makes money the players top factor…and one makes having the best team possible the priority.

Rodgers just did that to the tune of a 35m paycut. Which I’m not sure has ever even been done.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

I would totally buy a tell-all book from Rodgers...

- I think he indeed is a narcissist with a victim mentality. Thing is, it's not the worst trait to have, since it basically enables the motivation coming from the chip(s) on his shoulder. It's far from a horrible personality trait that would make a franchise move away from a good player. But AR clearly wanted to be SEEN, on his terms, and in GB there just aren't as many spotlights than there are in NY. Gutey could have made more of an effort to massage AR's ego, but it was impossible to compete with the celeb environment of the Big Apple.

- I think AR hates Gutey's guts. I dunno when it started, but I can't remember AR showering Gutey with praise and support even when he was hired. I feel there was a level of mutual respect, but the two just seemed incompatible in a way that goes beyond the GM making personnel decisions that AR didn't like. Gutey basically had to pay AR to work with him. And yes, no matter what the issues were, it's a big knock on Gutey. The tale of the two would make for a fascinating read.

- AR taking a paycut NOW instead of before may be partly because AR has finally decided upon a timeline for retirement. He was kinda year-to-year with us, even after picking Love. And he wanted contracts that definitively kept Love on the bench. Now that he probably has decided he only has 2 years max, no threat to his position in sight, he gets to play the hero. Popularity in the NY market probably pays the money lost back in ad ops. He kinda has to sell him to the market fast, since his stay isn't gonna be long. So showing up for some practices in spring and playing the "look, I sacrifice my OWN money for YOU, just like Brady did for your nemesis" -shtick should work...

- I think AR warmed up to LaFleur's system, and they personalized it for AR. I think AR really wanted to win it all for us, and got irritatingly close. One-and-done playoffs are just cruel beasts.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

YoHoChecko wrote:
28 Jul 2023 21:52
My evidence about Rodgers' priorities is numerous.
  • He talked openly about what he was looking for and why he wanted out with the Packers dozens of times. He never mentioned a Super Bowl--not once--as a motivation or determining factor, nor a lack of it as the reason he wanted to leave
  • From the time he signed his second extension with the Packers (his first was during his first year as a starter), has never, until this week, played on a contract that did not make him the highest paid player in NFL history on the day he signed it by publicly reported numbers
  • He routinely says he has nothing to prove and routinely mentions his MVPs--which Shannon Sharpe pointed out happens more with Rodgers than any other HoF QB he's ever seen--an individual award; as soon as he goes to a "super bowl or bust" scneario, he took a $35M pay cut.
That's all there is to it. We're all making up outside opinions here. That's my evidence. I doubt you'll find anything to dispute it. Form your own conclusions; I won't pretend to know. But it's a very easy conclusion to draw. He speaks his mind. If he cared about something, he would talk about it. I'm sure he said things like "the goal every year is to win a Super Bowl," but he definitely cared more about playing close to Shaliene Woodley than he did about playing for a contender when the impasse first went public. People projected a desire to play on a "Super Bowl roster" because that's what they would do if they were choosing. He never said it.
Rodgers deserved to be the highest paid player in the league after going 15-1, and the next best do for a contract at any position becomes the highest paid player at that position, your logic doesn't add up.

I think the straw that broke Rodgers was watching what had been very successful decline so drastically once Jordy and Cobb ability decline, and such little effort taken to replace those skills.

again, why did Murphy give Rodgers another 120 mil. the off season of 2018? no one here has ever given a logical reason for that, he still had 2 years remaining on the old contract.

obviously it had to do with how upset Rodgers was after the 2017 season where McCarthy's iso vertical routes lacked the talent to WORK, when all you have is ONE receiver that can separate on schedule and he's doubled and none of the others can beat single coverage the QB will become frustrated, and he showed that by refusing to throw check downs, you saw that just as much as I did, I even said it to the chagrin of others here, so freaking obvious a child could see.

you see a player that quit on the team, I see a team that quit on the player, no GM in the league would continue year after year to bring in very raw recruits for a HOF QB such as Rodgers.

Rodgers became fed up with carrying this team, he's excited now because the Jets are actually trying to help the offense make his job easier, again maybe if we'd had done some of that prior to the last season he was here for us things would have been different.

there are reason for why people act a certain way, I think it's called subliminal messaging, it's when peoples actions are attempts to send a message, Ted was in decline, so it's hard to blame him, but Gutekunst appeared to actually avoid bringing in a high floor receiver, it was as though he was giving Rodgers the middle finger, and Rodgers gave it right back.

I know you'll side with the FO Yoho, you always do, to me Guty has done a pretty good job except concerning receiver talent, our offense needed a walk on ready receiver in 2018 not a bunch of mid round groomers.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

FFS, Rodgers took a pay cut because the Jets are interested in acquiring Cooks and other offensive players, and he wouldn't with us because all we cared about was bringing in defensive players, thats our history, Rodgers renegotiated his contract several times, what did the FO do, resigned a defensive player or two, duhh

the amount of money a player makes translates to there standing in the league, Aaron Donald is the best and his contract says so, is he taking a pay cut? hell no. :rotf:

we watch and see what players actually play for, recognition, we watch them jump for glee the most when they or a team mate make a great play, a play that only a very few are capable of, imho that turns them on like no amount of money could ever hope to, that is what I love about this game.