Week 2 Post-Game: Falcons 25 Packers 24

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

TB4
Reactions:

Post by TB4 »

APB wrote:
17 Sep 2023 17:08
TB4 wrote: MLF coaches scared all the time in the 2nd halfs ( kicking a forld goal down by 8 in the NFC championship is who he is) , so if the HC coaches scared, so does the Def. Coordinator. Nothing changes
Yep. I agree.

He talks a good game but I think it’s a facade. He turns conservative far too often with the lead and rarely goes for a kill shot when the opportunity presents itself.
APB-
Do you ever think MLF would have gone for it on 4th down, already in field goal position, down by 2 late in the game?
I could never see him saying " Guys we are going for it on 4th and a long 1 and going to eat more clock, make them burn timeouts and then kick the field goal". Never happen.

He even said he was going for it on 4th and 1 after Dillon was short but his actions don't show that. Going for it on 4th and 1 on your side of the field isnt a tentative call. You dont say to your qb if its there then go for it. That puts a lot of pressure on Love. You, as a coach, make the decision. You call in the play and you live with the results. You dont say " Well Love saw it but couldnt yell loud enough" - You are the coach- Call the Effing Play and show tour young players that you are here to win. Dont ask the young players to decide if a big play call decision is an option. Just effing call it, buckle up and live with the results. Thats how they learn that you as a coach trust what you preach

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

APB wrote:
TB4 wrote: MLF coaches scared all the time in the 2nd halfs ( kicking a forld goal down by 8 in the NFC championship is who he is) , so if the HC coaches scared, so does the Def. Coordinator. Nothing changes
Yep. I agree.

He talks a good game but I think it’s a facade. He turns conservative far too often with the lead and rarely goes for a kill shot when the opportunity presents itself.
Did the defense blitz today? The blitz could've been a needed kill shot.

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

Ghost_Lombardi wrote:
17 Sep 2023 16:47
Dillon should sit and we should get a look at Wilson.
In my short time here, I think its becoming clear what I think of AJ Dillon as a RB. Seems like a great guy. Thats not going to win football games. I have tried not to rip him too hard, but I haven't been on board with him for awhile and its seems like others are starting to think the same if they were not already. Giving Dillon touches makes this team worse just by the fact that someone else on offense isn't :(

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

TB4 wrote:
17 Sep 2023 17:33
APB wrote:
Yep. I agree.

APB-
Do you ever think MLF would have gone for it on 4th down, already in field goal position, down by 2 late in the game?
I could never see him saying " Guys we are going for it on 4th and a long 1 and going to eat more clock, make them burn timeouts and then kick the field goal". Never happen.

He even said he was going for it on 4th and 1 after Dillon was short but his actions don't show that. Going for it on 4th and 1 on your side of the field isnt a tentative call. You dont say to your qb if its there then go for it. That puts a lot of pressure on Love. You, as a coach, make the decision. You call in the play and you live with the results. You dont say " Well Love saw it but couldnt yell loud enough" - You are the coach- Call the Effing Play and show tour young players that you are here to win. Dont ask the young players to decide if a big play call decision is an option. Just effing call it, buckle up and live with the results. Thats how they learn that you as a coach trust what you preach
It’s unprovable but, no, I think he kicks the FG and hopes his struggling defense holds. Every. Single. Time.

I didn’t see the post-game presser so can’t really comment on what he did or didn’t say.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

TB4 wrote:
17 Sep 2023 17:02
But thats not how MLF works. Im starting to think he enjoys having Joe Boy around to take the public blame as it keeps the heat off MLF. MLF shows no fire, no accountability, same cliche answers, pretends to be mad at the end of the game news conferences and never does anything about it.

MLF coaches scared all the time in the 2nd halfs ( kicking a forld goal down by 8 in the NFC championship is who he is) , so if the HC coaches scared, so does the Def. Coordinator. Nothing changes
Well then Gute should force MLF's hand by trading for a DC.

Alternatively, trade for a S. That play (or lack thereof) by Savage on the long ball to Hollins was one of the most pathetic things I have ever seen in my life and it arguably was the turning-point in the game, second only to Haha letting up that fluky 2-pt in the NFCCG.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

TB4
Reactions:

Post by TB4 »

Labrev wrote:
17 Sep 2023 18:17
TB4 wrote:
17 Sep 2023 17:02
But thats not how MLF works. Im starting to think he enjoys having Joe Boy around to take the public blame as it keeps the heat off MLF. MLF shows no fire, no accountability, same cliche answers, pretends to be mad at the end of the game news conferences and never does anything about it.

MLF coaches scared all the time in the 2nd halfs ( kicking a forld goal down by 8 in the NFC championship is who he is) , so if the HC coaches scared, so does the Def. Coordinator. Nothing changes
Well then Gute should force MLF's hand by trading for a DC.

Alternatively, trade for a S. That play (or lack thereof) by Savage on the long ball to Hollins was one of the most pathetic things I have ever seen in my life and it arguably was the turning-point in the game, second only to Haha letting up that fluky 2-pt in the NFCCG.
Great point. That play was the turning point. Savage played that whole play with pure patheticness. Wasnt agressive at all. Looked in the backfield it seemed ( which I dont know why? The backfield definitely isnt his responsibility), took a slow ass time with his angles and jumped with no idea what he wanted to do.

Thats the thing with this defense. They have no identity and no on-field leader. No one holds anyone accountable. Joe Barry sits up in the booth, eating snacks and calling soft zone coverages, never a corner blitz and hopes LB's can cover speedy receivers/running backs. What about Joey Boy gets his players excited to play? Nothing. But yet MLF doesnt do anything either, so I guess they are a match made in heaven.

Until this defense gets an identity and a vocal leader- its just going to be the same lackluster play and closing out halves with no passion and points allowed

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

I was row 11 at about the 10 - 15 yardline. I saw three critical plays right in front of me.

1. Dontavyan Wicks TD was absolutely sick. That dude is going to be a player with experience.
2. Jayden Reed's TD
3. Darnnel Savage's repeat performance of getting boxed out on a long ball.

Seriously that Savage play was so disappointing. He was in fantastic position to make the play, if not intercept it, and just completely got out muscled. Also reacted to the play a tad too late. That was the turning point of the game. If Savage makes that play...the Falcons never sniff a comeback.
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

Captain_Ben
Reactions:

Post by Captain_Ben »

Missed the game and haven’t seen any of the highlights. Studied the box score and my takeaway is that our rush offense and rush defense both sucked. Is that why we lost?

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Captain_Ben wrote:
17 Sep 2023 19:57
Missed the game and haven’t seen any of the highlights. Studied the box score and my takeaway is that our rush offense and rush defense both sucked. Is that why we lost?
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

flapackfan
Reactions:

Post by flapackfan »

Not defending Dillon, he looks slow, but the Oline run blocking hasn't been good.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

Did MLF elaborate in his post-game comments the reason behind Bakhtiari’s inactive status? Social media full of comments about him making a “turf statement” but nothing has been confirmed to my knowledge.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

lulu
Reactions:

Post by lulu »

NCF wrote:
17 Sep 2023 16:26
Talk me out of this... because I think we win this game with a functional RB. Given Jones' durability and LaFleur's refusal to push his limits, having 2 RB's is needed to make this offense work. Right now, we have 1.

If it were an "all in" year where we needed one piece to make us contenders, yes. This isn't the year to give up draft capital and $$.

lulu
Reactions:

Post by lulu »

APB wrote:
17 Sep 2023 20:27
Did MLF elaborate in his post-game comments the reason behind Bakhtiari’s inactive status? Social media full of comments about him making a “turf statement” but nothing has been confirmed to my knowledge.
He was asked about it and his response was rather salty. Which leads me to believe there is more frustration behind his response other than a run of the mill injury.

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

First off if they throw you a pick, catch it! Either one of those gives us the win in all probability.

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Anything short of a string of defensive games that are under par and JB stays in GB. But seriously, let's not worry about him. We have stars that failed in their jobs today, even if only a play here and a play there.

I give Atlanta full credit. It looked to me in the 3rd that they would not go away and they didn't. They played good football and had more desire to win than our guys. They were the better team.

Once more, we have a very young team. Youngest in the league. We are going to have highs and lows, often together. I'm more concerned that this team strings enough success together to increase in confidence. If they do, we'll be fine and even contend in January. If they don't, it'll become a very long season. With this much youth, it could be either way.

I choose to believe. I have reasons. Love = very good. Jones. Doubs and the other WRs. Savage is still on upswing. Special teams haven't shown up yet and that will occur. MLF is opening the playbook. There is a lot of good. And they'll fix some issues.
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

Scott4Pack wrote:
17 Sep 2023 20:59
Anything short of a string of defensive games that are under par and JB stays in GB. But seriously, let's not worry about him. We have stars that failed in their jobs today, even if only a play here and a play there.

I give Atlanta full credit. It looked to me in the 3rd that they would not go away and they didn't. They played good football and had more desire to win than our guys. They were the better team.

Once more, we have a very young team. Youngest in the league. We are going to have highs and lows, often together. I'm more concerned that this team strings enough success together to increase in confidence. If they do, we'll be fine and even contend in January. If they don't, it'll become a very long season. With this much youth, it could be either way.

I choose to believe. I have reasons. Love = very good. Jones. Doubs and the other WRs. Savage is still on upswing. Special teams haven't shown up yet and that will occur. MLF is opening the playbook. There is a lot of good. And they'll fix some issues.
I too am very encouraged by what I've seen out of Jordan Love thus far. Aaron Jones is also great. And while Doubs has been decent I think Reed has been even better.

But, I've got to ask, do folks think Savage is on an upswing? Seriously?

What I saw today was #26 repeatedly missing tackles and, most critically, failing to make a play when it was there to be made on the flea flicker deepball. He was in perfect position to make a play and he just whiffed on his jump. I thought Savage was very below average today and I would not be surprised if this is his final year in GB.
Last edited by LombardiTime on 17 Sep 2023 22:58, edited 2 times in total.

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

I thought this when we first hired LaFleur and heard him talk and I’ve said it multiple times here. He doesn’t strike me as someone I would follow into battle. He stutters all over the place when we talks. He talks bigger than he is but isn’t about what he says.

As a member of the military I have seen great leaders speak and seen wannabe leaders try to speak and regurgitate what better leaders have said and that’s what LaFleur reminds me off. He’s a guy who preaches playing hard but coaches a soft team and talks accountability but hires and maintains one of the worst defensive coordinators in the history of the league.

After this game I’m not sure how you keep playing Dillon on offense. You just can’t be a big back and have this bad of balance and go down so easily. He is in the last year of his deal and o really expected him to just go beast mode running the ball. He shouldn’t be in this teams long term plans so try someone who might be.

Offensive line was down players but I felt like they got dominated up front. The Falcons sent pressure most of the night and I think they got that from the Chiefs tape. Love needs to be better finding his hots and identifying the blitz sooner. Inexperience showed but I expect that to be better in year 3. He struggles sustaining drives and starts incredibly slow.

Overall good day from the receivers. They made plays.

Dog &%$@ day by Alexander. He got beat up on all day and the one chance he had to make up for it and really seal the game he blew. Savage played very soft again today. Gary couldn’t hold the edge. Not a good day for a defense that needed to show they could handle a physical Falcons team.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

From the way you fellas are talking I'm glad I didn't see this game. At least we didn't lose any ground in the division...

salmar80
Reactions:

Post by salmar80 »

Pugger wrote:
17 Sep 2023 22:37
From the way you fellas are talking I'm glad I didn't see this game. At least we didn't lose any ground in the division...
75% of the game was very fun to watch. That last 25% was tho... Burn that tape.

It hurts to blow a lead, and also blow several opportunities to run away with the score. :bkw: