2023 Packers Defense Expectations?

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

Trust me, this fan's opinion hasn't been formed by the Preston on Adams play. I fully understand it happens from time to time, BUT

We have some pretty good players on this team. They obviously can make plays. I've seen them, every week seemingly dominate for a stretch only to just sit back and give up easy first downs to extend drives over and over and over again. We either get off the field quick or don't get it off it until they score every week. and we're not playing explosive offenses. I'd rather the bust just happen rather than give up the 10 and 14 play drives down the field. Just get it over with already LOL. because a lot of times I think we have the players that are going to end up booming more often than not. Let them make plays rather than wait for it to come to them.

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

musclestang wrote:
20 Oct 2023 05:24
Trust me, this fan's opinion hasn't been formed by the Preston on Adams play. I fully understand it happens from time to time, BUT

We have some pretty good players on this team. They obviously can make plays. I've seen them, every week seemingly dominate for a stretch only to just sit back and give up easy first downs to extend drives over and over and over again. We either get off the field quick or don't get it off it until they score every week. and we're not playing explosive offenses. I'd rather the bust just happen rather than give up the 10 and 14 play drives down the field. Just get it over with already LOL. because a lot of times I think we have the players that are going to end up booming more often than not.
Let them make plays rather than wait for it to come to them.
I agree. An aggressive D will make mistakes but they will also get turnovers. The absolute worst is to have your D give up a TD on a long drive. Then your entire team is demoralized and the D is gassed. If you give up an 80 yard TD at least the opposing D might be gassed and your O gets it back. I am all for finding a new DC next season - he might be Fritz Shurmur 2.0. Barry sure as hell is no Fritz Shurmur.

Papa John
Reactions:

Post by Papa John »

TheSkeptic wrote:
20 Oct 2023 10:26
musclestang wrote:

We have some pretty good players on this team. They obviously can make plays. I've seen them, every week seemingly dominate for a stretch only to just sit back and give up easy first downs to extend drives over and over and over again. We either get off the field quick or don't get it off it until they score every week. and we're not playing explosive offenses. I'd rather the bust just happen rather than give up the 10 and 14 play drives down the field. Just get it over with already LOL. because a lot of times I think we have the players that are going to end up booming more often than not.
Let them make plays rather than wait for it to come to them.
I agree. An aggressive D will make mistakes but they will also get turnovers. The absolute worst is to have your D give up a TD on a long drive. Then your entire team is demoralized and the D is gassed. If you give up an 80 yard TD at least the opposing D might be gassed and your O gets it back. I am all for finding a new DC next season - he might be Fritz Shurmur 2.0. Barry sure as hell is no Fritz Shurmur.
You know how I can tell that you're a Packers fan? Because you're talking like it's a given that our defense is going to give up that TD. Set the bar higher. I want a defense that doesn't give up the yards and doesn't give up the TD. Don't give up jack &%$@ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EVER.
"It's better to decide wrongly than weakly; if you're weak, you're likely to be wrong anyway."
- Bill Parcells

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

musclestang wrote:

We have some pretty good players on this team. They obviously can make plays. I've seen them, every week seemingly dominate for a stretch only to just sit back and give up easy first downs to extend drives over and over and over again. We either get off the field quick or don't get it off it until they score every week. and we're not playing explosive offenses. I'd rather the bust just happen rather than give up the 10 and 14 play drives down the field. Just get it over with already LOL. because a lot of times I think we have the players that are going to end up booming more often than not. Let them make plays rather than wait for it to come to them.
Once again, I would have liked the Packers to move on from Barry this offseason. Considering the talent available on the defensive side of the ball and the offenses we have faced so far it's disappointing the unit only ranks 20th in points allowed per game.

Therefore I don't want them to keep Barry around for another season in 2024. But I don't expect MLF to make a move during the season, especially after what happened with Drayton in 2020.

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

The Pack has faced QBs Justin Fields, Desmond Ridder, Derek Carr (for just over 1/2 the game), Jimmy Garoppolo, and Russell Wilson in 5 of their 6 games to date.

The team is currently ranked 20th in the NFL in points per game allowed to opposing offenses.

BF004
Reactions:

Post by BF004 »

Do get sick of this.

We could have Woodson and Collins on this D and it wouldn’t matter. Just keep leaving the D in a schematic disadvantage over and over.

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

BF004 wrote:
24 Oct 2023 08:19
Do get sick of this.

We could have Woodson and Collins on this D and it wouldn’t matter. Just keep leaving the D in a schematic disadvantage over and over.
So absolutely stupid. It feels like guessing.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pckfn23 wrote:
24 Oct 2023 08:27
BF004 wrote:
Do get sick of this.

So absolutely stupid. It feels like guessing.
it is guessing, that is exactly what it is, Barry does this cat and mouse game to the point of making the defense worse, he subbed in the nickel before ever seeing what Denver would do, he out smarts himself.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

I heard just a very brief snippet on the radio this morning, to the effect of there are defensive players within the locker room anonymously complaining or questioning the coaching or something to that effect. It was literally something I heard for five seconds and didn't have time to listen longer. Anyone hear anything about this?

CWIMM
Reactions:

Post by CWIMM »

wallyuwl wrote:
24 Oct 2023 10:10
I heard just a very brief snippet on the radio this morning, to the effect of there are defensive players within the locker room anonymously complaining or questioning the coaching or something to that effect. It was literally something I heard for five seconds and didn't have time to listen longer. Anyone hear anything about this?
As far as I know that happened last season as well.

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

BF004 wrote:
Do get sick of this.

Andy the Blogger speaking truths.

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

CWIMM wrote:
25 Oct 2023 04:32
wallyuwl wrote:
Yep, and they were vocal enough that Barry had to pacify the players with a special meeting to air grievances:

https://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-pac ... ir-defense
Barry didn’t rest on that. According to several players, the defensive position coaches not only conducted their usual individual exit interviews with players after the season, but Barry pulled the group together one last time.

And he let the players do the talking.

“He said, ‘You all don’t know it, but I’m going to communicate what you guys want to do,’” cornerback Rasul Douglas recalled.

“We basically told him we want to be aggressive. We want to be up close in guys’ faces and we want to challenge and make throws tight.”
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
25 Oct 2023 12:17
CWIMM wrote:
25 Oct 2023 04:32
wallyuwl wrote:
Yep, and they were vocal enough that Barry had to pacify the players with a special meeting to air grievances:

https://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-pac ... ir-defense
Barry didn’t rest on that. According to several players, the defensive position coaches not only conducted their usual individual exit interviews with players after the season, but Barry pulled the group together one last time.

And he let the players do the talking.

“He said, ‘You all don’t know it, but I’m going to communicate what you guys want to do,’” cornerback Rasul Douglas recalled.

“We basically told him we want to be aggressive. We want to be up close in guys’ faces and we want to challenge and make throws tight.”
one would have to conclude that Barry speaks with fork tongue.

always felt that off man affords a DB the best opportunity for success, he gets a split second to see where the QB is looking after the snap, which helps him to react to stop the run, as well as defend the pass, the soft coverage we are seeing allows all this dinky dunking short game success, and we can't stop the long drives which wear down the defense.

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

JOE BARRY'S CONTINUED PRESENCE IN GREEN BAY AS THE DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR IS A STAIN ON THE ENTIRE ORGANIZATION!!!

The 2023 Packers defense currently ranks 21st in the NFL and allows opposing offenses to score 21.4 points per game. This is worse than 2022 when the D gave up 21.2 ppg.

When it comes to DVOA, which accounts for the collection of &%$@ QBs/offenses the Packers have faced thus far, GB ranks 28th out of the 32 teams.

What put me over the edge was watching the Vikings defense. Folks, the 2022 Viking defense was absolutely brutal, giving up 24 ppg and ranking 29th in the NFL. Where are they in 2023? 14th at 19.4 ppg (and they have faced competent offenses like KC, Philly, and the Chargers).

Did Minnesota go hog wild this offseason and add stud defenders? The answer is no. Minnesota's 1st round pick plays WR and caught his 7th TD on the season on Sunday. The Vikings had I believe just one 1st round pick on the field on Sunday, that being 34 year old Harrison Smith. (In comparison to the six 1st round picks for Green Bay).

No, the difference in Minnesota is that they fired their incompetent DC (former Packer coach Ed Donatell) and hired a competent one in Brian Flores.

The Packer defense plays with zero passion. It is soft by design. It is a reflection of the chosen Defensive Coordinator.

Joe Barry should NEVER HAVE BEEN HIRED. He SHOULD HAVE BEEN FIRED after the 2022 season.

His continued presence obviously reflects most poorly on the man who selected him Matt LaFleur and MLF deserves lion's share of criticism for Barry's presence in GB.

However, to the extent Team President Mark Murphy sits idly by and allows this abomination to continue week after week, year after year, he (as the individual ultimately responsible for the team's performance) also bears responsibility.

Oh, and when GB somehow holds a crappy Rams offense with likely a backup at QB to 17 or 19 points at home this Sunday, please, please refrain from pretending the defense is any good. It's just not.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I mean yeah, but he is among the least of our problems right now.

They gave up 24, which is higher than you want, but one of the TDs they gave up came off of an INT that gave the Vikes great field position, and then they also forced a turnover deep in the opponent territory for what should have been an easy seven, so in my mind that should have canceled out, yet the offense got 0 points out of it (not excusing the TD they gave up, just saying there is a much bigger problem at hand).

They have for the most part been giving up less than 20. An offensive-minded team/coach should be able to put up enough points to win with that defense.

Also, didn't some of the opponent's points come off of a kick return that almost went all the way, pretty much spotting them in the RZ?

If MLF fires Barry, then he is basically inviting his own firing (though that may be pretty inevitable at this point).
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

Labrev wrote:
31 Oct 2023 11:09

They gave up 24, which is higher than you want, but one of the TDs they gave up came off of an INT that gave the Vikes great field position, and then they also forced a turnover deep in the opponent territory for what should have been an easy seven, so in my mind that should have canceled out, yet the offense got 0 points out of it (not excusing the TD they gave up, just saying there is a much bigger problem at hand).

They have for the most part been giving up less than 20. An offensive-minded team/coach should be able to put up enough points to win with that defense.

Also, didn't some of the opponent's points come off of a kick return that almost went all the way, pretty much spotting them in the RZ?

If MLF fires Barry, then he is basically inviting his own firing (though that may be pretty inevitable at this point).
Nothing personal Labrev, but the excuse making for this D and its coordinator just never ends.

They gave up 24 points true. The Vikes also missed an easy FG and had another one blocked. Minnesota also played the game without its best offensive weapon and perhaps the best WR in the game. Minnesota then played a couple of series with a 5th round rookie pressed into action after Cousins went down (that is when the D finally forced a TO).

And no, the kick return was called back by penalty.

The D is not the LEAST OF OUR PROBLEMS, it is where all the highest-drafted players (outside of #10) and the free agentd $ has gone. Yet, it is performing like a bottom 5 unit.

Folks giddy because the Raiders only scored 17 points against us a couple of weeks ago should consider that Las Vegas then put up 12 against the Bears and just 7 last night versus Detroit.

We have a legitimately bad defense that has faced a series of bad QBs and offenses.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

LombardiTime wrote:
31 Oct 2023 11:21
Labrev wrote:

Nothing personal Labrev, but the excuse making for this D and its coordinator just never ends.

They gave up 24 points true. The Vikes also missed an easy FG and had another one blocked. Minnesota also played the game without its best offensive weapon and perhaps the best WR in the game. Minnesota then played a couple of series with a 5th round rookie pressed into action after Cousins went down (that is when the D finally forced a TO).

The D is not the LEAST OF OUR PROBLEMS, it is where all the highest-drafted players (outside of #10) and the free agentd $ has gone. Yet, it is performing like a bottom 5 unit.

Folks giddy because the Raiders only scored 17 points against us a couple of weeks ago should consider that Las Vegas then put up 12 against the Bears and just 7 last night versus Detroit.

We have a legitimately bad defense that has faced a series of bad QBs and offenses.
well done Lombardi :aok:

the d does OK playing teams as bad or worse then we've been, against better offenses it sucks, we see all the wide open spaces in coverage, we watch average RB's trounce us, yet the squad is the only semblance of real football we have to hang a hat on, sad times in Packer land :cry:
Last edited by Yoop on 31 Oct 2023 11:37, edited 1 time in total.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

LombardiTime wrote:
31 Oct 2023 11:21
Labrev wrote:

Oh, I am not excusing it. Barry should be &%$@'canned. He is not a good coordinator, and the D needs to be way better than it is for the talent it has. It is just that harping on defense rings kinda hollow when the offense cannot score points, and is not being asked by the defense to score that many to win. :idn:
—Magneto

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Brutal graph. Only the Colts are worse. Panthers are about as predictable but at least get good D out of it. Nobody else in our vicinity.

Hmm. Carolina is in an even bigger rebuild than we are, and have far less talent on defense but getting better performance out of it.

Doing more with less, a sign of good coaching. Who is CAR's D-Coord? Oh right, Ejiro Evero, the guy we passed up to hire Joe Barry!!
:kaboom:
—Magneto