Rasul Traded to Bills

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

Suuuulll

Amazing
No votes
Good
11%
Ok
33%
Don’t like it
50%
Fire TT
6%

Total votes: 18

paco
Reactions:

Post by paco »

Drj820 wrote:
01 Nov 2023 08:18
silverstein just reported what he was told from the org like it was gospel fact, when it was spin. Maybe its true the bills came to the Packers, but a demand for a 3 isnt really just demanding a 3 when you also give back a 5th.
I think it is, in their minds. If I had to guess, the majority of GMs think the draft ends after the 3rd or 4th round. After that, its essentially preferred UDFA territory. The likelyhood that anyone drafted day 3 ever makes an impact for your team is minimal. So sending back a 5th is nothing, especially when you'll likely get a 5th comp pick to replace it.
RIP JustJeff

TheSkeptic
Reactions:

Post by TheSkeptic »

Drj820 wrote:
silverstein just reported what he was told from the org like it was gospel fact, when it was spin. Maybe its true the bills came to the Packers, but a demand for a 3 isnt really just demanding a 3 when you also give back a 5th.
Especially since the Bills are a good team and that 3rd will be late vs the Packers 5th which will be early

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

Drj820 wrote:
Well I'm no genius but if we kept Sul we would have our 5th plus a compensatory 5th and $11.6m on the cap. Instead we have a 3rd and the compensatory 5th with $6.1m cap savings. Sounds like a good deal to me.

If the big complaints are the players don't like Barry because they want to play in your face pressure, then Sul won't be much happier in Buffalo. They play a lot of zone.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I could see the team saying they werent shopping Rasul, in order to give up a "hey the offer was just too good to refuse" vibe.

But lets say its true and we werent shopping players...my next question would be...why not?

We are 2-5, shopping players would be a great idea for a team that had a plan and clear direction.
I Do Not Hate Matt Lafleur

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Drj820 wrote:
01 Nov 2023 08:58
I could see the team saying they werent shopping Rasul, in order to give up a "hey the offer was just too good to refuse" vibe.

But lets say its true and we werent shopping players...my next question would be...why not?

We are 2-5, shopping players would be a great idea for a team that had a plan and clear direction.
so would keeping them, and thats why we didn't sell others, you where on the right path with the team got rid of a disgruntled player.

they can do all the posturing they want, I need far more convincing to think they peddled him for any other reason.

get some health, and this team can become competitive faster then most people think, doesn't mean they can win out or be any where near that good, just a better product for us fans to watch this year.

go pak go
Reactions:

Post by go pak go »

Another possibility is that Douglas wanted out of Green Bay if the opportunity presents itself.

There are so many possibilities guys. The only real thing we know is we don't know anything outside of Douglas and a 5th rounder was traded to the Bills for a 3rd round pick
Yoop wrote:
26 May 2021 11:22
could we get some moderation in here to get rid of conspiracy theory's, some in here are trying to have a adult conversation.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

I realize this isn't like some devastating move and we're all doomed because of it, but I just don't see it as a huge positive either. I keep hearing we flipped a PS player for a 3rd rounder. Yeah, I guess, and gave him a 3 year 21 million dollar contract. Not exactly a "flip" by my definition. He is productive and I expect him to continue to be for a few years.

Then someone I know started debating that we won't be good for 3 years and he'll be gone by then so we should get something for him. I guess my response is, if this is a 3 year plan again, we drafted the wrong QB and have a &%$@ plan and it's all going to be started over again from top down if this is going to take 3 more years. I don't think any of them have that long if they don't start producing.

Teams need some veterans. He was a good one and not overly expensive and not at the end of his career. Liked by fans and players, produced on the field.

and if a team comes and really wants a player like Rasul, why are we sending a 5th back? Would be more palatable for me had we not done that too.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I think the Mgmt came in with the idea not of a "rebuild" exactly but more of a Youth Movement that would nonetheless be competitive in a weak conference. I don't think you hold onto a guy like Bakhtiari if you are in a true rebuild.

But standing at 2-5, not due to bad luck but in-fact looking as poor as our record indicates, this move signals that at this point we definitely see it as a rebuild. Or maybe they always did, but this would confirm it.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Cdragon
Reactions:

Post by Cdragon »

Labrev wrote:
01 Nov 2023 10:41
I think the Mgmt came in with the idea not of a "rebuild" exactly but more of a Youth Movement that would nonetheless be competitive in a weak conference. I don't think you hold onto a guy like Bakhtiari if you are in a true rebuild.

But standing at 2-5, not due to bad luck but in-fact looking as poor as our record indicates, this move signals that at this point we definitely see it as a rebuild. Or maybe they always did, but this would confirm it.
You hang onto to Bak to give your new starter a better shot at being successful. But he can't play on that leg. They've should have dragged him back to the lab, ripped out all the old work, and stuck in some horse ligaments when they saw it wasn't working.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Cdragon wrote:
01 Nov 2023 10:49
Labrev wrote:

You hang onto to Bak to give your new starter a better shot at being successful. But he can't play on that leg. They've should have dragged him back to the lab, ripped out all the old work, and stuck in some horse ligaments when they saw it wasn't working.
woulda/coulda, slash shoulda, thing is it would have cost to much to cut him, he has no trade value injured, thats why we kept him, plus the hope that he over came the injuries, complaining about Bakhtiari doesn't make a lic of sense to me.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

musclestang wrote:
31 Oct 2023 15:50
Obviously he's not in their "long term plans" but he's certainly I a guy I could have seen here for the next 2-3 years playing at a good level. He's one of the few brightish spots we've had this year. Unless he blew up at someone behind the scenes and showed himself to not be a team player, on the outside looking in, I don't really like this move.
I'm sure the powers that be at 1265 know we are in full rebuild mode. Getting an extra pick and cap relief is a step in the right direction. I wonder if Preston was considered for a trade? Perhaps Gute can use this extra 3rd round pick to wheel and deal next spring.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

musclestang wrote:
31 Oct 2023 17:16
The biggest reason Stokes is not on the field is because Stokes has been hurt as often or more than he has not. And he looked better is rookie year than the part he played after.

This move can be criticized. Rasul was a good player, he wasn’t old, he wasn’t expensive, and he was available and playing week after week.

We just told everyone on the team we’re done for the year.
I have a feeling most folks knew this before this trade.

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Drj820 wrote:
31 Oct 2023 18:08
Like I’ve said a few times, it is the correct move to accept we are done. But if rasul was moved, so should preston, Jones, Campbell, etc etc
We can't move Campbell being hurt and Jones might not pass a physical and is getting long in the tooth for a RB. I am disappointed we couldn't move Preston seeing he is playing pretty well. You would think a veteran like him would be coveted by other teams...

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Labrev wrote:

does calling this season a rebuild year to you help you sleep better? does it some how give you a excuse for this team to tank every game here out?

I can't even come close to relating with fans like you, it disgust me to even think Packer fans support such stuff.

It didn't happen because even Gutekunst knows he'd lose this team, and the fan base, what a demoralizing way to treat the faithful fans who many have went through 2 decades of losing seasons with there support years ago.

of course this season has been loaded with BAD LUCK, gessus man take the blinders off, do you seriously think all these injuries are normal :thwap:

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

Pugger wrote:
01 Nov 2023 11:15

I'm sure the powers that be at 1265 know we are in full rebuild mode. Getting an extra pick and cap relief is a step in the right direction. I wonder if Preston was considered for a trade? Perhaps Gute can use this extra 3rd round pick to wheel and deal next spring.
Yes, it's not the most terrible thing that could have happened. But our DB's were a strength and now? i'm not even sure who we start. I get teams need to get younger, it's a game of replacement etc. But Rasul wasn't old. Preston I could understand with a couple guys behind him that can play. We have squat at DB's. Nixon isn't good, i'm sorry. Jaire isn't right, which he'll be better in the future i'm sure, but Stokes is still a big ? and he hasn't played in a year or more and couldn't stay on the field for anything when he did come back. He's far from a sure thing.

We need to be somewhat competitive at some positions on the field. Right now we're lamenting no veteran leadership in the WR room. How we need layers to bring people along, etc. and we just completely gutted or defensive backfield. No safeties. Ford is kind of neat story, but he's nothing special and he's not going to be here much longer. We have 1 DB worth anything if he gets healthy and a bunch of MD Jennings's at 4-5 other positions.

and yeah, we got some cap space, what are we going to do with it? Try and get a vet at DB? we just got rid of one, that was good, and liked by all.

musclestang
Reactions:

Post by musclestang »

Pugger wrote:
01 Nov 2023 11:20

I have a feeling most folks knew this before this trade.
and as I've said before, there are fans and there are players. Never played with or met a player worth anything that didn't think they were always in it, even if they weren't. When you start to see the FO and coaches getting rid of guys who are valuable and your leader you start to wonder if they truly have your back.

Yoop
Reactions:

Post by Yoop »

Pugger wrote:
musclestang wrote:
Obviously he's not in their "long term plans" but he's certainly I a guy I could have seen here for the next 2-3 years playing at a good level. He's one of the few brightish spots we've had this year. Unless he blew up at someone behind the scenes and showed himself to not be a team player, on the outside looking in, I don't really like this move.
why because we switched QB's Pugger? thats normal in the NFL, plus they where just as willing to take Rodgers back as trade him.

whats likely to me is they counted on Bakh, and that didn't work, counted on Jones, same lack of success, same with all the other walking wounded that THEY depended on like Watson and the rest of this walking mash unit, Alexander, the decline in play from Campbell.

again better luck, some health and this is a 5-2 team, maybe not double digit good as my optimistic 11-6 or 12-5, but certainly as good or better then the 7 or 8 wins you previously hoped for.

nah, I think calling this a rebuild year is questionable :dunno:

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

APB wrote:
01 Nov 2023 07:34
The 5th the Packers gave up likely won't impact their ability to draft a future non-contributor in the 5th...just sayin'

But the 3rd we got from Buffalo could be used to move up in the next draft.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Yoop wrote:
01 Nov 2023 11:23
Labrev wrote:

does calling this season a rebuild year to you help you sleep better? does it some how give you a excuse for this team to tank every game here out?

I can't even come close to relating with fans like you, it disgust me to even think Packer fans support such stuff.

It didn't happen because even Gutekunst knows he'd lose this team, and the fan base, what a demoralizing way to treat the faithful fans who many have went through 2 decades of losing seasons with there support years ago.

of course this season has been loaded with BAD LUCK, gessus man take the blinders off, do you seriously think all these injuries are normal :thwap:
Dude relax, I was just saying that the Mgmt's strategy may have shifted.

Wherever they expected us to be now, we are 2-5 and look bad. Unless they were expecting this result, which I seriously doubt, they have to readjust their plan in light of the information before them: this team needs A LOT of improvement, more than they can possibly obtain before the offseason.

So they are bringing in an asset for this year and moving a piece that will likely be gone right as we expect to turn things around. I don't like it, but I get it.
Last edited by Labrev on 01 Nov 2023 11:43, edited 1 time in total.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

Yoop wrote:
01 Nov 2023 11:32
Pugger wrote:
musclestang wrote:
why because we switched QB's Pugger? thats normal in the NFL, plus they where just as willing to take Rodgers back as trade him.

whats likely to me is they counted on Bakh, and that didn't work, counted on Jones, same lack of success, same with all the other walking wounded that THEY depended on like Watson and the rest of this walking mash unit, Alexander, the decline in play from Campbell.

again better luck, some health and this is a 5-2 team, maybe not double digit good as my optimistic 11-6 or 12-5, but certainly as good or better then the 7 or 8 wins you previously hoped for.

nah, I think calling this a rebuild year is questionable :dunno:
Seriously Yoop? :lol: I suppose at the start of the season they thought they might be good enough for a WC spot but with the way we are playing even Stevie Wonder can see this is a down year for us. Rodgers camouflaged a lot of the warts an inexperienced Love cannot. It's too bad we couldn't have gotten something for Preston too.