Jordan Love 2023 Expectation/Player Comparison

From Lambeau to Lombardi, Holmgren, McCarthy and LaFleur and from Starr to Favre, Rodgers and now Jordan Love we’re talking Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers football. This Packers Forum is the place to talk NFL football and everything Packers. So, pull up a keyboard, make yourself at home and let’s talk some Packers football.

Moderators: NCF, salmar80, BF004, APB, Packfntk

packman114
Reactions:

Post by packman114 »

There's just no pleasing some people on this forum. We all agree there were a number of dropped passes last week and if only 3 of them were caught Love would have had a 66% completion percentage. But according to some people here, he can't throw a pebble into the ocean. I think all of this comes back to MLF and his coaching staff. If they drill on making contested catches then they need better drills because it ain't working.

This team will never be one that trades draft picks for star-type veterans. I personally like the draft and develop strategy. Trying to figure out which of these young players becomes the next Driver, Nelson, or Adams is fun for me. As for 3 years of practice should tell you if you have the right QB, well they made that decision already. Maybe this year gets us a Justin Jefferson type rookie next year!

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

LombardiTime
Reactions:

Post by LombardiTime »

packman114 wrote:
03 Nov 2023 08:55
There's just no pleasing some people on this forum.

This team will never be one that trades draft picks for star-type veterans.
The Packers are 2-5. The have lost 4 straight, including a loss to the lousy Raiders who just fired their coach and GM.

The offense is in shambles. The defense, despite having more 1st round picks than any other NFL team on it, remains the same below average unit Packer fans have come to know and loathe. The head coach looks as lost as anyone.

I agree that it is too early to give up on Jordan Love and certainly agree his supporting cast has not helped him through 7 games, including but not limited to the receivers who have dropped balls.

But why would Packer fans possibly be "pleased" by what they have seen this season?

Are we supposed to uncritically back the pack no matter how putrid the product on the field?

As for the Packers never being a team that trades draft picks for veterans (whether stars or otherwise), that has certainly been the case under Gutey and his mentor Ted Thompson, but it was absolutely not the case under Ron Wolf. See Brett Favre, Keith Jackson, Eugene Robinson.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

Drj820 wrote:
03 Nov 2023 07:50
Labrev wrote:
02 Nov 2023 17:15
**snip**

tl;dr Brett thinks Love's supporting case is not good enough.

He also said an interesting thing about how Holmgren's stuff early on was geared towards his previous QBs and Favre felt it didn't always fit him, suggesting the same might be true here. Also of significance, since some are in denial of this, Favre says live action is a very different animal than practice, so you do not truly know what you have in a guy until they start full-time.
dont think anyone thinks practice and live action are the same.

but three years of practice and then getting live action is better than no practice and only live action as a rookie, in my opinion.

In addition, three years of practice is enough time for players and coaches to have "an idea" of what they have at the QB position. Not 100% know, but def an educated guess.
I was told by Charlie Sheen that I should have known Love does not have what it takes to be a long-term starter at QB based on the fact they gave him a "prove it" deal rather than paying him like a top-half starting QB (before ever seeing how he fares as a starter for a full year), like they would have if they exercised his option.

To me, it was more of a reflection of the fact that, like Favre said, however optimistic you feel about a guy, you can never truly know what you have until they play full-time. And JMO it's bad business to pay wholly or even mostly on expectation than, you know, performance.

But I am sure some kid at his computer knows better than all of us combined.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

lupedafiasco
Reactions:

Post by lupedafiasco »

packman114 wrote:
03 Nov 2023 08:55
There's just no pleasing some people on this forum. We all agree there were a number of dropped passes last week and if only 3 of them were caught Love would have had a 66% completion percentage. But according to some people here, he can't throw a pebble into the ocean. I think all of this comes back to MLF and his coaching staff. If they drill on making contested catches then they need better drills because it ain't working.
The blaming of the receivers this past week is the fans defending Love.

The pass to Aaron Jones was late, high, and dan near behind him. If he puts it lower and in front Jones runs for a first.
The pass to Musgrave was just inside enough for the defender to get his hand on it.
The pass to Reed that was picked off made Reed have to slow down and stop to even have a chance.
The pass to Watson in the endzone was so late in gave all the defenders a chance to get all over him. If it was early enough he makes an eaiser play.

Right now Love is making everything harder for himself, his receivers, and this offense.
Cancelled by the forum elites.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

Labrev wrote:
03 Nov 2023 09:44
Drj820 wrote:
03 Nov 2023 07:50
Labrev wrote:
02 Nov 2023 17:15
**snip**

tl;dr Brett thinks Love's supporting case is not good enough.

He also said an interesting thing about how Holmgren's stuff early on was geared towards his previous QBs and Favre felt it didn't always fit him, suggesting the same might be true here. Also of significance, since some are in denial of this, Favre says live action is a very different animal than practice, so you do not truly know what you have in a guy until they start full-time.
dont think anyone thinks practice and live action are the same.

but three years of practice and then getting live action is better than no practice and only live action as a rookie, in my opinion.

In addition, three years of practice is enough time for players and coaches to have "an idea" of what they have at the QB position. Not 100% know, but def an educated guess.
I was told by Charlie Sheen that I should have known Love does not have what it takes to be a long-term starter at QB based on the fact they gave him a "prove it" deal rather than paying him like a top-half starting QB (before ever seeing how he fares as a starter for a full year), like they would have if they exercised his option.

To me, it was more of a reflection of the fact that, like Favre said, however optimistic you feel about a guy, you can never truly know what you have until they play full-time. And JMO it's bad business to pay wholly or even mostly on expectation than, you know, performance.

But I am sure some kid at his computer knows better than all of us combined.
I can see it both ways, but i def think if they were "wow'd" by Love at practice then they would have just signed the 5th year option and been done with it. Not like we were asking them to sign him for 4 years at 40m per.
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Pckfn23
Reactions:

Post by Pckfn23 »

Yes Love is making it harder on himself just as the line is making it harder on him, the receivers are making it harder on him, and the play calling is making it harder on him.

The Reed INT is a terrible example of pinning a pass on Love. Reed flat out dropped that right into the LBs arms. The pass, while maybe a foot too far to the right we pretty much where it needed to be with the safety closing over the top from the left and the LB running underneath on Reeds right flank.
Palmy - "Very few have the ability to truly excel regardless of system. For many the system is the difference between being just a guy or an NFL starter. Fact is, everyone is talented at this level."

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

LombardiTime wrote:
03 Nov 2023 09:09
As for the Packers never being a team that trades draft picks for veterans (whether stars or otherwise), that has certainly been the case under Gutey and his mentor Ted Thompson, but it was absolutely not the case under Ron Wolf. See Brett Favre, Keith Jackson, Eugene Robinson.
Yes, but the Wolf years were long enough ago to be a different era of the NFL. When Wolf retired in 2001, he said it was partly because making trades and managing the cap had gotten more difficult since the early 1990s.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

I watched much of the TN @ Pitt game last night. Both Pickett and Levis are much better QBs than Love. Pickett is fine, and can manage and offense and make some throws. Levis just seems to to have "the stuff." Both, but especially Levis, are on time with their throws, can read the field, can throw with appropriate arm angles when needed, can determine and throw the correct type of pass for the situation, and have good accuracy. Love has none of that.

MY_TAKE
Reactions:

Post by MY_TAKE »

wallyuwl wrote:
03 Nov 2023 13:33
I watched much of the TN @ Pitt game last night. Both Pickett and Levis are much better QBs than Love. Pickett is fine, and can manage and offense and make some throws. Levis just seems to to have "the stuff." Both, but especially Levis, are on time with their throws, can read the field, can throw with appropriate arm angles when needed, can determine and throw the correct type of pass for the situation, and have good accuracy. Love has none of that.
On this we disagree. Pickett is horrific. Worse than Love and its not close. Love has been terrible by just about any measurable though. I agree with that

APB
Reactions:

Post by APB »

MY_TAKE wrote:
03 Nov 2023 13:52
wallyuwl wrote:
03 Nov 2023 13:33
On this we disagree. Pickett is horrific. Worse than Love and its not close. Love has been terrible by just about any measurable though. I agree with that
No kidding.

Pickett has an entire season starting experience and still looks lost. He doesn't have an NFL arm either. He's Matt Flynn reincarnate.

Levis has a strong arm and moxie but he's incredibly raw. $%@# it and chuck it should be his mantra. He could very well become something good, he has the physical tools, but I saw nothing last night that told me he's head and shoulders above Love right now.

wallyuwl
Reactions:

Post by wallyuwl »

I will agree Pickett is a game manager. Disagree he is horrible or worse than Love. Levi's is far and away better than Love right now.

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
03 Nov 2023 13:11
LombardiTime wrote:
03 Nov 2023 09:09
Yes, but the Wolf years were long enough ago to be a different era of the NFL. When Wolf retired in 2001, he said it was partly because making trades and managing the cap had gotten more difficult since the early 1990s.
Read all about here. I just picked up this book in new condition at the thrift shop for $2. My how the Packers have fallen lately.

Labrev
Reactions:

Post by Labrev »

I feel like we should encourage Love to run more, gameplan specific. He's got wheels; we should take advantage of that while we have that.

To his credit, he does not really have a bad habit of taking off too early. He goes through his progressions, though in the past couple weeks he has been dropping his eyes more.

Not against mediocre teams, play them as normal, but against teams like DET that have a good pass-rush, just tuck it and start taking off if the first and/or second read are not there, make them commit resources to stopping QB runs and take the heat off so you can get back to running your usual pass plays.
“Most other nations don't allow a terrorist to be their leader.”
“... Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists.”
—Magneto

Foosball
Reactions:

Post by Foosball »

The passing offense is based on timing.

If the WRs arent where they’re supposed to be when they’re supposed to be, then it doesn’t work OR if Love doesn’t trust they’re going to be where they’re supposed to be, when they’re supposed to be then he holds on to the ball and everything is off.

Until that is fixed nothing will improve (unless Love improves on improvisation). 😃😃😧
Love is the answer…

Crazylegs Starks
Reactions:

Post by Crazylegs Starks »

Murphy's comments on Love for what it's worth:

https://www.packers.com/news/mt5-after- ... t-10-games
Jim from La Crosse, WI

What are your thoughts on Jordan Love? I know you said that it would take at least eight games to determine if he is our quarterback of the future. Is he our quarterback of the future?

That's the million-dollar question, Jim. As a person, Jordan is everything you would want in a player – hard worker, smart, humble, a leader who is respected by his teammates. He is also willing to take the blame when things don't go well. His play has been up and down, though. Young players often take time to find consistency, but we still very much believe in Jordan and are excited to see his continued development. In 2008, after eight games we had seen enough of Aaron Rodgers to sign him to a contract extension. Aaron was in a much different situation, though, as we had good veteran receivers in Donald Driver and Greg Jennings, a quality left tackle in Chad Clifton and a good running game with Ryan Grant. Jordan, meanwhile, is facing a much different situation with young receivers and tight ends, no David Bakhtiari and a struggling run game. It wouldn't be fair to judge Jordan now since there are so many other factors that have contributed to the offense's poor performance (e.g., dropped passes, penalties, mental errors). We should have a much better sense regarding Jordan at the end of the season. In the NFL, quarterback is the most important position, but also the hardest position to play.
“We didn’t lose the game; we just ran out of time.”
- Vince Lombardi

RingoCStarrQB
Reactions:

Post by RingoCStarrQB »

Crazylegs Starks wrote:
04 Nov 2023 12:23
Murphy's comments on Love for what it's worth:

https://www.packers.com/news/mt5-after- ... t-10-games
Jim from La Crosse, WI

What are your thoughts on Jordan Love? I know you said that it would take at least eight games to determine if he is our quarterback of the future. Is he our quarterback of the future?

That's the million-dollar question, Jim. As a person, Jordan is everything you would want in a player – hard worker, smart, humble, a leader who is respected by his teammates. He is also willing to take the blame when things don't go well. His play has been up and down, though. Young players often take time to find consistency, but we still very much believe in Jordan and are excited to see his continued development. In 2008, after eight games we had seen enough of Aaron Rodgers to sign him to a contract extension. Aaron was in a much different situation, though, as we had good veteran receivers in Donald Driver and Greg Jennings, a quality left tackle in Chad Clifton and a good running game with Ryan Grant. Jordan, meanwhile, is facing a much different situation with young receivers and tight ends, no David Bakhtiari and a struggling run game. It wouldn't be fair to judge Jordan now since there are so many other factors that have contributed to the offense's poor performance (e.g., dropped passes, penalties, mental errors). We should have a much better sense regarding Jordan at the end of the season. In the NFL, quarterback is the most important position, but also the hardest position to play.
Awesome. Murphy is basically verifying that he, Gute and LaCoach were a proven failure preparing for 2023, and should all be fired ASAP.

Drj820
Reactions:

Post by Drj820 »

I’m fine with giving love till end of year. He can find a groove at any time
"You guys are watching too much Andy Herman"-P23

Scott4Pack
Reactions:

Post by Scott4Pack »

Just kinda posting this on the fly, but I'm actually impressed with Love. Why?

1. Toss the stats. They mean almost nothing. Love is starting with an offense that is virtually coming straight off the chalkboard. They are literally beginning at ground zero, like very few offenses we've ever seen in Green Bay history.
2. He is patient in the pocket.
3. He knows how to make plays off schedule.
4. He runs only when really advantageous.
5. He knows his progressions, even if he doesn't (yet) process them fast enough.
6. He has the arm to make every throw. You just don't get that with the vast majority of NFL QBs.

He still has stuff to improve, no doubt. Improving his accuracy, not making pressured decisions that lead to bad throws, leadership, and crunch time plays are a beginning. But those come with experience.

As our OLine and offense improve and as our team re-learns how to build a winning culture, Love is going to be real good. I have 95% confidence in that!

:-)
Come on down and try some of our delicious green chili! Best in the world!

Pugger
Reactions:

Post by Pugger »

I thought he played pretty well today. He had a couple of stinkers but had several nice passes, especially in the second half. Baby steps.